University of Illinois Class of 2013!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RafaTech

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With first batch of acceptances out, I can't believe this thread hasn't been started yet!

I know there are others out there...

Members don't see this ad.

Where is everyone? I'm not accepted yet, but am hoping to hear soon! UIC is one of my top choices, but congrats to all of you who have already been accepted!

Hey fellow acceptee here! Rockford track so I'm in the minority I'm sure! Anyways, to any other UPR trackers, I am currently looking at Champaign/Urbana apartments since leases for Aug. '09 move-in are going fast...well at least the good locations/deals. I have found a pretty decent one that looks to be about 2 1/2 blocks from the Medical Science Building and runs for $715 a month (2 BR) without utilities. I went to UIUC for my freshman year, and living that close would be AWESOME compared to walking across the campus. PM me if you want the link and if interested we can discuss details. I still gotta travel down there to check it out, but my g/f goes to ISU right nearby so I can swing down and make sure everything's kosher pretty soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump for people recently accepted!:) We need some more UIC class love in this thread!

Bump for people recently accepted!:) We need some more UIC class love in this thread!

Can't believe the day has come where I can post in this thread and say:

I'm IN! :soexcited:

I think I got in too. Not as confident as Chicago Person. I know I shouldn't have doubts, but what can I say :p

i'm so glad i can finally write on this wall. When does orientation begin?

I don't know when orientation starts! Is it in the big envelope? Anyone who has gotten it?

Perhaps we should make more of an effort to get people over here from the Secondary thread in pre-allo...

So excited for UIC!!! Where are all of you planning on living or where do you live now if you are already there?

BTW- I don't feel like going back and searching but earlier we were talking about in state status for married students who start off as OOS. I called and personally spoke with the guy who decides residency classification for all of the UI medical system and he said that if your married and your spouse works full time you can establish residency.

If any of you married OOSer's have questions you can PM me and I can tell you more about what he said!

BTW- I don't feel like going back and searching but earlier we were talking about in state status for married students who start off as OOS. I called and personally spoke with the guy who decides residency classification for all of the UI medical system and he said that if your married and your spouse works full time you can establish residency.

If any of you married OOSer's have questions you can PM me and I can tell you more about what he said!

Thanks for the info.... Another reason to pop the question ;) (Dont tell the GF i said that! ;) )

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info.... Another reason to pop the question ;) (Dont tell the GF i said that! ;) )

I've always loved the way you look at me, the way you love me, and the way you could save me 100 thousand dollars during medical school. Will you do me the honor of marrying me and earning over 35 thousand dollars during our first year in Illinois?

HAHAHA awesome... Good one chuck :D

I've always loved the way you look at me, the way you love me, and the way you could save me 100 thousand dollars during medical school. Will you do me the honor of marrying me and earning over 35 thousand dollars during our first year in Illinois?

HAHAHA awesome... Good one chuck :D

hahaha, i would be lying if i said it didn't cross my mind how awesome it would be to have a wife chipping away at that dept....

My GF of 4 yrs is a DPT so we should be able to make the IS tuition thing work. But we will be married summer after M1....

Hon, can we go to vegas to save 40K?

Awesome! Can't wait to meet some of you guys!

Congrats to all those recently accepted!

If anyone from the chicago area has suggestions on housing around UIC please let me know! I'm starting to look at prices/places to live. Thanks!

Congrats to all those recently accepted!

If anyone from the chicago area has suggestions on housing around UIC please let me know! I'm starting to look at prices/places to live. Thanks!

whoa, dude, already....i guess that makes sense. find anything yet? If anyone needs a roommate, i don't shed hair and I'm very nice.

Awesome! Can't wait to meet some of you guys!

i know! we should have an SDN party, meet everyone and have nametags with our username on it

I'm officially in so hello future colleagues! Congratulations everyone!

whoa, dude, already....i guess that makes sense. find anything yet? If anyone needs a roommate, i don't shed hair and I'm very nice.

Just trying to get an idea of what's out there...obviously not taking action anytime soon.

Just trying to get an idea of what's out there...obviously not taking action anytime soon.

Ideally I don't want to have to commute more than 10 minutes. I hate commuting. How close are you looking?

Ahhhh. Final confirmation. About to fill out the preference card (Chicago, Rockford, Peiroria, UC)

Boo ya

Ideally I don't want to have to commute more than 10 minutes. I hate commuting. How close are you looking?

I want to live really close. Either walking distance or a few stops away on the Metro.

I've been contemplating the graduate student SSR dorms which is across the street...cheap and convenient.

Hey Guys!!! I started a facebook group. Please join it so we can all talk over there and get aquatinted. We're going to be Docs!!! wooohooo

I want to live really close. Either walking distance or a few stops away on the Metro.

I've been contemplating the graduate student SSR dorms which is across the street...cheap and convenient.

I agree, i want something close and cheap.

Hey Guys!!! I started a facebook group. Please join it so we can all talk over there and get aquatinted. We're going to be Docs!!! wooohooo

I just joined. I'm Andrew Thompson.

I think my wife and I are going to go for a suburb and then I'll commute in...

haha, my parents did that. they lived in a mobile home in Elgin and my dad commuted to chicago.

Def. not goign to do that!

haha, my parents did that. they lived in a mobile home in Elgin and my dad commuted to chicago.

Def. not goign to do that!

lol... Well we aren't parents yet, but we do like the idea of getting more space for your money and safety. Plus we are just more suburb type of people rather than big city... We'll see where exactly we end up!

I'm in too. Congrats to all and looking forward to Chicago :)

I'm sending in my card for Chicago 1 then Rockford. Getting it in the mail tomorrow morning.

Woot.

Any of you in California still waiting for your letter in the mail?

Anyone here back from UIC about the campus preference?

I got into the Chicago campus!!

Got the second background check email this morning.

Congrats to all who are accepted!

I'm currently a first year at Urbana on the Rockford track, but I chose to decompress so I'll be finishing my first year courses with you next year and then headed to Rockford.

I can't say much for the Chicago campus, but if any of you have questions about Champaign-Urbana let me know :)

Yea lets try and keep one. It could get confusing when school and orientation actually starts.

Yea lets try and keep one. It could get confusing when school and orientation actually starts.

Keep the one that has the most people in it.

Hello and welcome to the University of Illinois! I'm an M1 at the Chicago campus, so if any of you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let me know. For now, just focus on finishing school and relaxing, having gotten into medical school. There's plenty of time to be overwhelmed by administrative minutiae and academics over the next four years.

You're entering a wonderful profession at a phenomenal medical college in a prime location to study medicine. U of I has a strong tradition of students helping students, and I look forward to meeting you all! Again, welcome!

Hey zipmedic,

I want to live within walking distance of the Chicago campus...without having to live in the dorms. Do you know of any good places?

Anyone else considering the urban medicine track? I'm working on the application but didn't know if someone out there had applied already and knew what the process was.

Many thanks in advance for help :)

Anyone else considering the urban medicine track? I'm working on the application but didn't know if someone out there had applied already and knew what the process was.

Many thanks in advance for help :)

It's pretty straightforward. 1.) Application, 2.) Interview, 3.) Notification. :) There's a special orientation for you, as well. Good luck!

Hey zipmedic,

I want to live within walking distance of the Chicago campus...without having to live in the dorms. Do you know of any good places?

There are a bunch of places on Taylor Street (in and around the Little Italy neighborhood), Pilsen, and even the West Loop. Try craigslist. :)

Hi Xochil from Florida accepted already to UIC (chicago) congratulations to all, I am surprised already looking for housing, I should too I would like to live really close to school some helpful tips will be nice from all of you guys

Also a Chicago Campus M1, posted a bit of a blurb on the premed side concerning those who do not initially get their first choice (I was UPR track initially). Also, wondering who zipmedic is. . .:)

To add a suggestion to zips "places to live" answer, quite a few of us live in Bucktown/Wicker park. I have had little trouble getting to school (it is a 15-20 minute bus ride on the Damen or Ashland bus) and offers an opportunity not be be on campus all day everyday (trust me, you will be there enough).

I think the places I would avoid include Wrigleyville and Lakeview (I am a cubs fan, so it pains me to say that) because they are pretty expensive and are a difficult commute if you are relying on public trans. Any other questions, I am sure zip and I are game.