University of Houston C/O 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So after spending your P1 and P2 year on campus, where do the P3s go?

Having the interview in the TMC was kind of misleading because I thought the P1s and P2s would be there as well...

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard:

P3s: TMC

P4: TMC/rotations

So after spending your P1 and P2 year on campus, where do the P3s go?

Having the interview in the TMC was kind of misleading because I thought the P1s and P2s would be there as well...

This may be a stupid question but for any current pharmacy students...how much do you use your textbooks when studying or is it mostly through notes posted online? I know all instructors are different in their teaching styles but I was just trying to get an idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have heard:

P3s: TMC

P4: TMC/rotations

That's correct.

This may be a stupid question but for any current pharmacy students...how much do you use your textbooks when studying or is it mostly through notes posted online? I know all instructors are different in their teaching styles but I was just trying to get an idea.

Not a stupid question at all. Some people have gotten by all of pharmacy school without ever purchasing a textbook. Others learn a lot from books and like to keep them as references so purchase almost all the books. It seems like most people only purchase select books as most professors give detailed slides. Starting P2 year, many of the textbooks are online and accessible through your UH library account so there's no need to spend the money for a hard copy.

I thought the same thing when I interviewed. UH currently does not have the capacity to hold all the students in one building. Your first two years consist of primarily didactic learning while P3 year is more clinically focused so it makes sense P3s are aligned with clinical faculty. Guest speakers from the TMC can walk over from their day-to-day jobs to lecture.

UH has approved a brand new, state-of-the-art pharmacy building to be constructed on the main campus and is presenting to the Texas Legislature for a health science center designation. Last I heard, the new building is supposed to be complete sometime during summer 2015.

That's correct.

Not a stupid question at all. Some people have gotten by all of pharmacy school without ever purchasing a textbook. Others learn a lot from books and like to keep them as references so purchase almost all the books. It seems like most people only purchase select books as most professors give detailed slides. Starting P2 year, many of the textbooks are online and accessible through your UH library account so there's no need to spend the money for a hard copy.

Thanks for the response!

Just got a letter from Barbara Lewis saying that our acceptances will go out Saturday and to not send out the packet and acceptance separately. We'll also have additional time to send in our decision. I'm guessing this is for those accepted this Monday.
I wonder if they were sending the letter via postal mail because there still wasn't any follow-up email from this past Saturday. =/

Whenever I got accepted to U of H (late January) I received my acceptance letter in an email. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the response!

No problem. As you network with fellow UH pharmacy students through orientation and student organizations, you'll find that many of the upperclassmen will be more than happy to either lend or sell their copy to you.

If anyone has more questions regarding life as a pharmacy student at UH, Feel free to ask. What I found the most refreshing about attending UH is the numerous networking opportunities with hospitals, clinics, infusion companies, etc around the Houston area. There's also a big push for students to get really involved on a local, regional, and national arena. We have many delegates in the national pharmacy organizations such as NCPA, SNPhA, ASHP, APhA, and more.

Most incoming students including myself in the past, go into pharmacy school thinking they'll just get good grades, get involved with a few organizations, and that's it. There's so much changing in the field of pharmacy right now and as students, we can and do make a huge impact.

No problem. As you network with fellow UH pharmacy students through orientation and student organizations, you'll find that many of the upperclassmen will be more than happy to either lend or sell their copy to you.

If anyone has more questions regarding life as a pharmacy student at UH, Feel free to ask. What I found the most refreshing about attending UH is the numerous networking opportunities with hospitals, clinics, infusion companies, etc around the Houston area. There's also a big push for students to get really involved on a local, regional, and national arena. We have many delegates in the national pharmacy organizations such as NCPA, SNPhA, ASHP, APhA, and more.

Most incoming students including myself in the past, go into pharmacy school thinking they'll just get good grades, get involved with a few organizations, and that's it. There's so much changing in the field of pharmacy right now and as students, we can and do make a huge impact.

That last paragraph is the honest to God reason why I love pharmacy and why I want to be a part of it. It's always changing day in and day out and there is so much that can be done in this profession.

Got accepted this evening. Interviewed on 10/27. Had a 3.4 overall GPA with a BS in Biology in the works, graduated 12/12 (1 semester early). 3.6 U of H pre-req GPA, 96 PCAT, 3 years as a technician, excellent references, outstanding interview, great campus and community involvement. So here's my thing. I got accepted into the University of Texas today as well. They had the kindness to give me a phone call and to accept me less than a month after my interview.

Houston, on the other hand, tabled my application for several months and made me seriously doubt myself as a qualified applicant after seeing people with 3.5's in English and far worse PCAT scores get accepted, per information on this board. I am so frustrated with the way this college of pharmacy runs and will most likely not be attending in the fall due to their ridiculous level of disorganization and questionable admissions logic. If the disorganization that was so palpable in the admissions process is any indicator of how this program operates, I cannot see why anybody would chose to attend the University of Houston if given alternate choices. That is all. Rant finished.
I feel the same way, the difference is that I got turned down by UH. The first disappointment was that before submitting my application I would like them look at my pre-reqs. I was informed that it can't be done over the phone although I already submit my transcripts to the school. When I took a whole day driving to UH for a advisory session only to find out that they couldn't give me any answer but a whole bunch of info that I already know from their website. I was not happy at all. However, I am still grateful that they offered me an interview. I don't think I performed at the level I wanted to in the interview, but it should not be a deal breaker as well.
I have really good science GPA, PCAT 94% with Chem99%, Bio 94%, Math 86%, 3 great ref letters from science professors and pharmacy director. Quit my old job to start working as a Tech in a hospital in January. They still told me that I didn't show my passion/love/commitment whatever you call it for pharmacy.
Although I would love to live in Houston, I am glad that I have an offer from UT and not ready to waste another year of my time.

Last edited:
I feel the same way, the difference is that I got turned down by UH. The first disappointment was that before submitting my application I would like them look at my pre-reqs. I was informed that it can't be done over the phone although I already submit my transcripts to the school. When I took a whole day driving to UH for a advisory session only to find out that they couldn't give me any answer but a whole bunch of info that I already know from their website. I was not happy at all. However, I am still grateful that they offered me an interview. I don't think I performed at the level I wanted to in the interview, but it should not be a deal breaker as well.
I have really good science GPA, PCAT 94% with Chem99%, Bio 94%, Math 86%, 3 great ref letters from science professors and pharmacy director. Quit my old job to start working as a Tech in a hospital in January. They still told me that I didn't show my passion/love/commitment whatever you call it for pharmacy.
Although I would love to live in Houston, I am glad that I have an offer from UT and not ready to waste another year of my time.
Interesting...my statistics are very similar to yours, and yet at this point it doesn't seem likely that I'll have any luck with a UT acceptance. Then again, my interview there was rather sub-par so I'm not surprised. Ultimately, as an applicant if you find the right fit in a program and are also successful in gaining admission, that's all what really matters.

That last paragraph is the honest to God reason why I love pharmacy and why I want to be a part of it. It's always changing day in and day out and there is so much that can be done in this profession.

Love that attitude! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me pros and cons of UH? Trying to decide between Tech (Abilene) and UH...

Does anyone have an idea on how many spots are still open? I have an interview in march and I know its one of the later ones. I have been accepted into texas tech and am really excited about possibly going their, however If UofH were to offer I am unsure of where I would choose. My main concern is being put on the wait list and waiting till may or june to hear anything. I would rather go into the summer with a definite mindset on where I will be attending school in the fall so that I can get my apartment ready etc. Any words of advice?

it's to my understanding that they save a few spots for each interview date so that you arent interviewing just to be on the waitlist. The advantage in getting an earlier interview is that if you arent accepted/reject immediately you have more chances for the adcom to review your profile. With a later interview the spots become more competitive as they are now looking not only at you and your interview dates but also the people before you that have been "tabled." At least thats what I think

I'm getting kind of frustrated with UofH. I have already been accepted to both Tech and UT, but I want U of H so badly. I applied in January (really late, I know (-__-)), but do you guys think it's hopeless to hope for a March interview? What's the timeline as far as how late these interview emails can go out? I'm hoping that since UT & Tech & A&M will be sending out invites soon, that this will open up interview spots that applicants are declining?

I'm getting kind of frustrated with UofH. I have already been accepted to both Tech and UT, but I want U of H so badly. I applied in January (really late, I know (-__-)), but do you guys think it's hopeless to hope for a March interview? What's the timeline as far as how late these interview emails can go out? I'm hoping that since UT & Tech & A&M will be sending out invites soon, that this will open up interview spots that applicants are declining?

That's really late for applying but if you really want to hold out for an invite I would wait. I am curious though as to why you are upset with UofH for not getting back to you for an interview if you applied so late? Hope you get an invite though! It was a really good interview experience!

Does anyone know if there any specific laptop requirements for this school? I was thinking about getting a Mac, but wanted to make sure these are acceptable first...

Does anyone know if there any specific laptop requirements for this school? I was thinking about getting a Mac, but wanted to make sure these are acceptable first...

There are not any laptop requirements for UH.

That's really late for applying but if you really want to hold out for an invite I would wait. I am curious though as to why you are upset with UofH for not getting back to you for an interview if you applied so late? Hope you get an invite though! It was a really good interview experience!

I should clarify. My frustration is with the U of H administration as a whole. It has been beyond impossible to get a timely response from them. I emailed them in November, and didn't receive a reply until January, despite my attempts to follow up. Additionally, their phone service is awful. I have called numerous times, and the call has not been picked up. Or, the times that they have answered, the secretaries have been extremely unhelpful and curt. I just feel that in comparison to Texas Tech, A&M and UT, U of H has such poor phone etiquette. That being said, I am still interested in the school because of its association with the Texas Medical Center. If anyone has some tips on how to contact U of H, please share your secrets!

I should clarify. My frustration is with the U of H administration as a whole. It has been beyond impossible to get a timely response from them. I emailed them in November, and didn't receive a reply until January, despite my attempts to follow up. Additionally, their phone service is awful. I have called numerous times, and the call has not been picked up. Or, the times that they have answered, the secretaries have been extremely unhelpful and curt. I just feel that in comparison to Texas Tech, A&M and UT, U of H has such poor phone etiquette. That being said, I am still interested in the school because of its association with the Texas Medical Center. If anyone has some tips on how to contact U of H, please share your secrets!

Should have applied earlier.

Thank you for your solid advice, UTsto.

Alright, it was abrasive and I apologize but it just does not seem like UH to be delayed in contacting you since the communication experience I have dealt with has been no hassle at al. Best of luck to you, I know they're really busy.

I had a negative impression of UH COP after reading many messages from this year and last year application cycles and talking with UH alumni (like staff being curt and rude, delayed answers, who-care-about-you attitude, competitive rather than supportive environment amongst PharmD students, etc. ). However, my actual experience with UH COP has been quite pleasant. The staff answered my email questions promptly, no problem with phone calls, friendly atmosphere during the interview, etc. I've been impressed with the speed of the process despite their busy schedule (I applied around the begining or mid December by the way).

I'm sorry to hear that you had bad experience with them but I guess it depends on many factors (timing, which person you talked to, etc), so it might be best not to take it personally.

Good luck to all of us!!! Still 4 to 6 more years to go :)

I had a negative impression of UH COP after reading many messages from this year and last year application cycles and talking with UH alumni (like staff being curt and rude, delayed answers, who-care-about-you attitude, competitive rather than supportive environment amongst PharmD students, etc. ). However, my actual experience with UH COP has been quite pleasant. The staff answered my email questions promptly, no problem with phone calls, friendly atmosphere during the interview, etc. I've been impressed with the speed of the process despite their busy schedule (I applied around the begining or mid December by the way).

I'm sorry to hear that you had bad experience with them but I guess it depends on many factors (timing, which person you talked to, etc), so it might be best not to take it personally.

Good luck to all of us!!! Still 4 to 6 more years to go :)

I don't know what the student environment was like at UH years ago, but the environment is nothing but supportive. Students are driven, involved in leadership activities, yet willing to help each other without a cut-throat edge. In fact, one of the selling points is that UH COP is like one big family. I know I can count on the upperclassmen and my classmates to give their words of wisdom and provide study tips.

Check out these YouTube videos that features some of our administration, faculty, and students:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EjhtmTKHn8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgQFDIVfz8

Just received my UH Interview Invite! :)

Has anyone heard back from Feb 16th interview yet ?:confused:

Has anyone heard back from Feb 16th interview yet ?:confused:

Not yet. Most of my friends who interviewed on Jan 25th got their acceptance e-mail the beginning of the fourth week. I'm hoping they email us by the end of this week (third) because next week is Spring Break for me and I have a Tech interview. Here's to hoping I can cancel the Tech interview and save me some gas money!!

Not yet. Most of my friends who interviewed on Jan 25th got their acceptance e-mail the beginning of the fourth week. I'm hoping they email us by the end of this week (third) because next week is Spring Break for me and I have a Tech interview. Here's to hoping I can cancel the Tech interview and save me some gas money!!

It's so funny you said that because I received my acceptance to UofH the afternoon before I had to leave for my Tech interview in Abilene...Houston to Abilene is such a painful drive! Good luck!

It's so funny you said that because I received my acceptance to UofH the afternoon before I had to leave for my Tech interview in Abilene...Houston to Abilene is such a painful drive! Good luck!
lol, we had a no-show at our interview in Abilene...wonder if that was you.:smuggrin: You missed out on some really good fajitas.:p

lol, we had a no-show at our interview in Abilene...wonder if that was you.:smuggrin: You missed out on some really good fajitas.:p

Ah, it shouldn't have been because I called right away and canceled the interview! I really wish the campus was closer because I definitely would have gone to the interview to check out the campus and facilities, it was just tough driving to OKC for my OU interview and then go to Abilene the next weekend.

Ah, it shouldn't have been because I called right away and canceled the interview! I really wish the campus was closer because I definitely would have gone to the interview to check out the campus and facilities, it was just tough driving to OKC for my OU interview and then go to Abilene the next weekend.
I don't blame you. People say the interview at Tech is grueling, for me it was the drive.:eek: So glad this is all over!

I don't blame you. People say the interview at Tech is grueling, for me it was the drive.:eek: So glad this is all over!

I was planning on driving up to Abilene with my spouse in tow, and spend the night prior at the holiday inn.
I cancelled my interview with Tech as soon as I could after getting my acceptance call from UT. I actually waited a few days just to be sure it was real. :p
I figure I'll spend the $180 I had put away for travel and lodging on some high-end scotch to celebrate. :D

I got my denial email from UH tonight, not sure I agree with the "tough love" message they sent though :(
I'm not too heart broken, I did get in to my top choice school, and offered an interview at my second choice. :p

Good luck to all and congrats to those who got in!

I was planning on driving up to Abilene with my spouse in tow, and spend the night prior at the holiday inn.
I cancelled my interview with Tech as soon as I could after getting my acceptance call from UT. I actually waited a few days just to be sure it was real. :p
I figure I'll spend the $180 I had put away for travel and lodging on some high-end scotch to celebrate. :D

I got my denial email from UH tonight, not sure I agree with the "tough love" message they sent though :(
I'm not too heart broken, I did get in to my top choice school, and offered an interview at my second choice. :p

I don't understand why the 4th best COP in the nation would accept you, yet U of H (rank 48) wouldn't. I got denied from U of H too.

When did you interview at UH if you don't mind sharing?

I don't understand why the 4th best COP in the nation would accept you, yet U of H (rank 48) wouldn't. I got denied from U of H too.

Is it possible that they see he/she was already accepted to UT so they would have a small chance of getting him to their school, thus saving time by bypassing him??? If I remember correctly, schools can see the offer status of students by others through Pharmcas (only offer, deny, or waitlist, no info on which school the student picks). This is just a wild guess though :D. It's also a "best fit" thing I heard. If it is the second scenario (of course there are tons of other reasons to speculate :D), it means he/she is fitted to a better school (in term of ranking) than UH. :D

When did you interview with them?

Is it possible that they see he/she was already accepted to UT so they would have a small chance of getting him to their school, thus saving time by bypassing him??? If I remember correctly, schools can see the offer status of students by others through Pharmcas (only offer, deny, or waitlist, no info on which school the student picks). This is just a wild guess though :D. It's also a "best fit" thing I heard. If it is the second scenario (of course there are tons of other reasons to speculate :D), it means he/she is fitted to a better school (in term of ranking) than UH. :D

Woa, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if it is really true? I finally got an interview invite for March, so I wonder what will happen at this interview. I called U of H last week to ask about interview dates, and they mentioned that sometimes, they open up another interview for April if they don't have the candidates they want for their incoming class. After the phone call, it made me wonder if they would still do this even if they had people on the wait-list. That's weird, right?

I interviewed at U of H in January 25. I set an appointment with one of UHCOP's faculty members to discuss why I was denied and the reason was because, I lacked social experience. They said that my volunteering experiences with a pharmacist (80 hours) and as and organic and general chemistry tutor at U of H (about two semesters) were considered more as academic, which were already strong, rather than social. The only volunteering service that they considered social was when I volunteered at a hospital as a front deskman (112 hours) and in the Pre-Pharmacy-Association (2 semesters). I was told that further examples of how one can obtain social experience involves working as a pharmacy technician, clerk, serving as an officer in a committee, etc (you could ask current pharmacy students what they did as well).

I have heard that the ranking is based on research and other things and not the solely the programs themselves. So I wouldn't take rank into high consideration. I may be wrong, but this is what I was told from a valid source. :)

Lol I know what email you are talking about. I received the same one, pretty much telling us we didn't get an interview invite and to look at possible other career choices. I'm not upset, it wasn't one of my top choices at all but they could have been more tactful about it lol

Lol I know what email you are talking about. I received the same one, pretty much telling us we didn't get an interview invite and to look at possible other career choices. I'm not upset, it wasn't one of my top choices at all but they could have been more tactful about it lol
They could have been tactful period.

It just struck me as condescending and unprofessional. If you are going to deal out some "hard truths" don't do it in a standardized email. Just because someone didn't apraise higher than the top 100 or so applicants to YOUR program doesn't necessarily mean they are unworthy of the profession.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using SDN Mobile.

They could have been tactful period.

It just struck me as condescending and unprofessional. If you are going to deal out some "hard truths" don't do it in a standardized email. Just because someone didn't apraise higher than the top 100 or so applicants to YOUR program doesn't necessarily mean they are unworthy of the profession.

:thumbup: Definitely. But I guess each program is looking for a certain type of applicant.. but I'm glad I'm not one of them :D

I don't think it's like that, it's probably just very quickly done letter that nobody bothered to review before sending out.

Bs in Biochem from this school with a 99 composite pcat and I didn't get an invite to interview. What kind of bull**** is this? Texas tech is better anyways.

is the interview a closed file or an open file interview