University of Houston C/O 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I ask which university you got accepted and how was your PCAT?
I am still waiting for UH, submitted materials in early dec.
I got accepted into the university of Colorado and Texas Tech.. I got a 79% comp PCAT 89 & 91 in bio and chem.

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone received any acceptance from jan 25th interview

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same question. I interviewed on the 25th as well. I haven't heard anything yet.

I interviewed 1/25, and I haven't heard anything either! I've been checking my emails like crazy, in hopes of some good news from them.

I know that the advisors and admissions had to go to a state conference so that could be the reason why it's taking so long.

Does anyone know the dress code for normal lectures and/or labs?

was there a november 9th interview? I saw on the pharmcas website that it was listed but browsing through this forum I couldn't find anyone that went.

was there a november 9th interview? I saw on the pharmcas website that it was listed but browsing through this forum I couldn't find anyone that went.

The November interview date was November 17th.

There was no Nov 9th interview. I believe it was cancelled. The only interviews before the new year were Oct 27 and Nov 17.

Do you guys think Houston is more selective/competitive than Tech? In other words, speaking in general trends is it more difficult to get into Houston than Texas Tech? I know Tech is ranked higher but not too sure if I can use that to determine selectiveness. I know each individual is different and schools are looking at different things, but would just like some opinions.

Does anyone know the dress code for normal lectures and/or labs?

Jeans, collared shirts, and no flip flops are pretty standard. Pharmacy organization t-shirts can be worn on the day of the event only. Labs depends on the professor and the type of lab. Professional dress with white coats are required for convocations, IPPE, special speakers, etc.

The entire dress code can be found here:
http://uhpharmacycouncil.weebly.com/dress-code.html

Jeans, collared shirts, and no flip flops are pretty standard. Pharmacy organization t-shirts can be worn on the day of the event only. Labs depends on the professor and the type of lab. Professional dress with white coats are required for convocations, IPPE, special speakers, etc.

The entire dress code can be found here:
http://uhpharmacycouncil.weebly.com/dress-code.html

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think Houston is more selective/competitive than Tech? In other words, speaking in general trends is it more difficult to get into Houston than Texas Tech? I know Tech is ranked higher but not too sure if I can use that to determine selectiveness. I know each individual is different and schools are looking at different things, but would just like some opinions.

I've heard UH is more selective. Even though Texas Tech is higher ranked, Houston has a easier time filling their seats being a big city school.

I've heard UH is more selective. Even though Texas Tech is higher ranked, Houston has a easier time filling their seats being a big city school.

I've heard the same about UH being very selective as well and being able to fill seats much quicker. I'm not sure about how the rankings are made between schools but each school has something that attracts a particular person and their personality.

Finally got a UH interview. A little late in the game, but we will see how it goes :)

I sent in my application really late too, and I haven't heard back from UofH yet! I got interviews at the other schools I applied to in Texas, but UofH is my dream school! I know there are 2 interview dates left in March, with the last date being March 23rd, at what point should I lose hope for an interview?

Accepted!
Interviewed 1/25 during the morning interview times.

Congratulations to the class of 2017!

Last edited:
Received acceptance email tonight...the wait is finally over!:soexcited::D
I was in the afternoon session of the January 25th interview.

do you guys know when the last set of interviews will be sent out??

Received my acceptance at around 7:00 pm tonight. I interviewed on 1/25 as well and was part of the afternoon group. I honestly thought my interview was not very good, everyone told me it was conversational but it was not for me. They asked me a question and I answered, then they asked me another question and I answered. Repeat for 30 minutes. My guess it was because I performed well in the group exercise that was my saving grace. Out of the interviews I went to this was my top choice! Good luck to the rest!

Got accepted this evening. Interviewed on 10/27. Had a 3.4 overall GPA with a BS in Biology in the works, graduated 12/12 (1 semester early). 3.6 U of H pre-req GPA, 96 PCAT, 3 years as a technician, excellent references, outstanding interview, great campus and community involvement. So here's my thing. I got accepted into the University of Texas today as well. They had the kindness to give me a phone call and to accept me less than a month after my interview.

Houston, on the other hand, tabled my application for several months and made me seriously doubt myself as a qualified applicant after seeing people with 3.5's in English and far worse PCAT scores get accepted, per information on this board. I am so frustrated with the way this college of pharmacy runs and will most likely not be attending in the fall due to their ridiculous level of disorganization and questionable admissions logic. If the disorganization that was so palpable in the admissions process is any indicator of how this program operates, I cannot see why anybody would chose to attend the University of Houston if given alternate choices. That is all. Rant finished.

Chill out Ag, you should be proud that you were in consideration with these schools and getting accepted to UT. I chose UH over UT and I did my undergrad at UT. I'm just thankful that I have options when a lot of people dream of just getting an interview. I can understand you're frustration, but you really should be happy that you'll be on your way to a great future. Be positive because a lot of people wanting to be pharmacists are a lot less fortunate than you and me.

texag13, can i ask you what you felt was disorganized about the process? not doubting you at all about your feelings I kinda just want more information/opinions.

My own statistics aside, I interviewed on October 27th, after my interview, we were told to start checking our email in two weeks and that we would hear back within 6. Nothing after 2 weeks, nothing after 6, so I called the school on a Friday morning, spoke to someone who told me to be patient, so I kept waiting. Then, that Sunday evening, i received the tabled decision. Kind of a mixed blessing, I was told my application would be revisited in January in the tabled letter. I waited until January 30th, at which time I saw that people were being admitted who interviewed on January 12th. That just didn't seem fair to me. I had waited over 3 months to hear back at that point. So I called the school only to find out that the tabled applications hadn't even been looked at again. So I sat here and waited, planned a $900 trip to Amarillo, and a $500 trip to Kingsville while people who interviewed on the 12th were already getting in. I wasted time and money. I'm not ungrateful for the opportunities I've been afforded by other schools, I'm disappointed in the sheer lack of tact from the University of Houston. It took almost 4 months to get a definitive decision from them when every other school out there gave a very concise timeline for admissions. I just feel like they didn't really care about me as an applicant and don't know how much they'll really care about me as a student. If Houston would have been the only school to accept me, these posts would not have been written and I would have gone no questions asked. Now that I have a choice, I'm posting here in the hope that somebody who is working with the integration of rolling admins at U of H sees this and does something about it, because quite frankly, it's not fair

texag: I can understand your frustrations....the waiting game is horrible. There are many pieces to the puzzle of admissions - as a student it is rigorous, I can only imagine how involved it is for the Adcom. Sometimes things happen for no apparent reason. Take this as an opportunity to reflect on what is really important to you. This has upset you, as it would me also, but don't take it so personally. I am sure there is a very good explanation as to why this transpired as it did - will you ever know why....probably not. That is irrelevant at this point though. What is important now is that you have two GREAT schools offering you a seat. What you need to focus on now is which school is the best place for YOU moving forward. Leave your emotions out of it and don't dwell on the 4mth vs less than 1mth with a phone call.....by doing so you are only doing yourself a disservice.

I finally got an interview invite on the 11th! Lol

So I have already been accepted at the end of January but I was wondering they send you a letter in the mail or like a packet?? Or i just have an email to go by? Thanks if you can answer!

Still have not heard back from UH and had my interview on Jan 25th. Do they accept people all in one go? Or do they do it by parts?

A question for those who just got accepted, has any of you received that second email containing instructions they were supposed to send us after the initial one? Thanks!

PCAT was a composite of 82% and I submitted everything along with the supplemental early Dec.

can anyone explain on how to successfully convert the pre-interview documents to the right format? I have tried every way I know how, including the help document they provided, and have been unsuccessful. Help please!!!

With the pre-interview documents, I saved all the documents to my computer then changed the format with the zamzar website, I did have trouble using the URLS to convert but after I saved the files the biggest problem I had was getting the formatting correct.

With the pre-interview documents, I saved all the documents to my computer then changed the format with the zamzar website, I did have trouble using the URLS to convert but after I saved the files the biggest problem I had was getting the formatting correct.

Same. I just downloaded it with Zamzar, but the formatting saves all weird so you have to rearrange some stuff on the word document. My question is why don't they just make a word document in the first place? That makes so much more sense...

A question for those who just got accepted, has any of you received that second email containing instructions they were supposed to send us after the initial one? Thanks!
I haven't received it yet... The email said it would be send within the next 24 hours of the initial email, but I've gotten nothing from them since the first acceptance email. I guess we'll just have to wait.

can anyone explain on how to successfully convert the pre-interview documents to the right format? I have tried every way I know how, including the help document they provided, and have been unsuccessful. Help please!!!

Even with the zamzar converting website they give you, it still takes forever to format the documents haha. If I had to do it all again, I would type out the document myself and then screenshot the table that you have to fill out.
It took me an hour an a half to deal with the formatting alone, let alone writing all 18 or so essays/short answers. I think it'd be a better use of your time to just skip the formatting thing and type it yourself - I promise they won't be upset if you do that.

I'm sure you have.....but make sure you are following the "Instructions on how to use www.zamzar.com convert pdf documents to an editable format:" very carefully...including watching where the arrows point to and what is written in the particular boxes..

Also, have you tried using a different browser? Maybe a browser or browser version issue.

It sure is a lot of work...good luck! :luck:

I only received one email, which contained all the required documentation and instructions. Once completed I forwarded this by the deadline and received an email within two weeks confirming the college received my signed paperwork, the criminal background check and confirmation of the check number for the seat reservation deposit.

Hope this helps....:banana:

I haven't received the second email either
Do you think it would be wise to call them and ask??

Just got a letter from Barbara Lewis saying that our acceptances will go out Saturday and to not send out the packet and acceptance separately. We'll also have additional time to send in our decision. I'm guessing this is for those accepted this Monday.

Any idea when rejection letters for December applications will be sent out so I can be put out of my misery?

i received an email saying i was missing something on my app..called them and they said i have no chances anymore and i couldnt send anything else..but still havent recieved any rejection letter, probably ill get it soon! anyways, good luck to everyone and congratulations!! Im on my way to another school :) :)

What is the schedule like at UHCOP? I heard for P1, fall classes are Mon-Thurs.

My understanding is P1 are 1pm-4pm, with labs and mandatory convocations often held in the morning. Mon-Fri. (P2's are the reverse).

:)

I answered this question on the previous page. The P1s and P2s share the same classroom on the main UH campus which is different from where the interviews take place. The P2s have classes all in a row in the morning from 8 AM - 11:30 AM in the fall and 9 AM - 12 PM in the spring with some days ending at 11:30 AM or 11 AM. The P1s have classes in the afternoon from 1 PM - 5 PM or later depending on the course. Skills labs are generally outside of those times and are in the morning for P1s and afternoons for P2s. They can take place at the adjoining rooms to the main classroom on main campus or on the TMC campus where the P3s have class.

All exams are administered during the normal class time with a few exceptions. 3rd years could have therapeutics exams on certain Friday mornings. Or your class may vote and decide to move an exam due to scheduling conflicts with conferences. Based upon the scheduling and room reservations, those exams may end up outside of the classroom time. That has only happened to me once so far at UH. Hope this helps.