University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I don't know if you've been informed, but my class is starting a revolution. We aren't following past traditions, we're starting our own!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I want to throw this out because I don't really know where to start....I want to find some roommates. I was thinking it would be fun to have 3 girls or so in one appartment (like a three bedroom). I thought that sounded like fun. If you are interested private message me and let me know. I really want my first year to be with P1 students so that we can experience at least our first semester together. I don't know how I feel about living with guys but if I can't find any girls guys are welcome. That might be dangerous. Oh well. Feel free to contact me.

Wait are girls invited. But I really will be going for the food (and the game). Lol.

Umm, have you ever eaten Hooters food? Nobody goes to Hooters for the food. Actually, I'm not sure why they go there at all. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I don't know if you've been informed, but my class is starting a revolution. We aren't following past traditions, we're starting our own!

How come I wasent informed? At any rate, I think I am going to have to stick with tradition. Tradition stays tradition for a reason. That reason maybe unusal, stupid, or degrading....but its tradition none the less.

Dident Chris rock have a song like that back in the day. He said something like, "No one goes to hooters for wings." I also remember him talking about pumas. Cant remember the song though.

Sorry crystal, I have to shoot down your predictions. The spurs are probably going to win it this year. It's science.

NOT THE SPURS!!!! I hate that team...they are good but I just hate that team. But, I think the MAVS will win it this season...if not the MAVS then the SUNS but not the SPURS

I am going to Denver next weekend to go look for apartments. My dad is here from India, so he wants to me to decide whatever I can while he is here. And I am going back to India too for the summer so I have to decide everything before I leave.

I am going to Denver next weekend to go look for apartments. My dad is here from India, so he wants to me to decide whatever I can while he is here. And I am going back to India too for the summer so I have to decide everything before I leave.

Are you going to go to the housing fair or just look around. If your gonna go, I'll probably see you there!

Ok I want to throw this out because I don't really know where to start....I want to find some roommates. I was thinking it would be fun to have 3 girls or so in one appartment (like a three bedroom). I thought that sounded like fun. If you are interested private message me and let me know. I really want my first year to be with P1 students so that we can experience at least our first semester together. I don't know how I feel about living with guys but if I can't find any girls guys are welcome. That might be dangerous. Oh well. Feel free to contact me.

Hey I was looking into housing today and found a couple of links you might want to check out. One lists apartments with prices. The other is to be put on the UCHSC roommate list.

http://www.uchsc.edu/studentassistance/housinginfo/index.htm

http://www.uchsc.edu/studentassistance/housing/need_housing_process.php

Hope it helps.

Are you going to go to the housing fair or just look around. If your gonna go, I'll probably see you there!

I am just going to look around...I got the word document from UCHSC's website which lists all one bedroom and two bedroom apartments and also tells you how far it is from 9th ave and from the new campus...but when is the housing fair?

Hey I was looking into housing today and found a couple of links you might want to check out. One lists apartments with prices. The other is to be put on the UCHSC roommate list.

http://www.uchsc.edu/studentassistance/housinginfo/index.htm

http://www.uchsc.edu/studentassistance/housing/need_housing_process.php

Hope it helps.

yea...I printed the word document that has all the listings for one bedroom-no pets and I am just going to go look at some of those.

How come I wasent informed? At any rate, I think I am going to have to stick with tradition. Tradition stays tradition for a reason. That reason maybe unusal, stupid, or degrading....but its tradition none the less.

Oh there is a reason that people go there. It has pretty good food, reasonable prices on drinks and is about 75 yards from the pharmacy building.

I look forward to experiencing new things... But I go to Hooters all the time for Suns games. It's a good environment to watch the game. You can be loud and not have to worry about it!

I look forward to experiencing new things... But I go to Hooters all the time for Suns games. It's a good environment to watch the game. You can be loud and not have to worry about it!

Good point. If you look at it from a certain aspect, its kinda like going to the game without going. Its loud, the foods not that great but still edible, and when there is a timeout, you can look at some good looking girls in small outfits. However, the other place might be more tailored to college students. I like trying new things. I also want to get to know people in the other classes so I think I will try the other place first.

Ravish,
The housing fair is on Friday the 20th. I think I am going to fly down there on Friday, go to the housing fair, then go look at the apartments. Are you going solo or are you going to get a roommate? I am still torn on the issue so I put my name on the roommate list. I am getting anxious to move, but I know the feeling will subside after I actually start class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ravish,
The housing fair is on Friday the 20th. I think I am going to fly down there on Friday, go to the housing fair, then go look at the apartments. Are you going solo or are you going to get a roommate? I am still torn on the issue so I put my name on the roommate list. I am getting anxious to move, but I know the feeling will subside after I actually start class.

Thats what im doing....flying down there on Friday, April 20th and fly back to Dallas on Sunday but I wont be there till 6 PM on Friday so I dont think I can make it to the housing fair. Even I am not sure abt going solo or having a roommate...would be nice to move in with a P1 student who is also new to the place...if not now then may be after a semester.

Is there a deadline for loans and financial aid? I was searching the UCHSC financial aid website but I wasn't able to find anything. I've been so busy with school/work that I haven't had the opportunity to finish up all the necessary paperwork.

Is there a deadline for loans and financial aid? I was searching the UCHSC financial aid website but I wasn't able to find anything. I've been so busy with school/work that I haven't had the opportunity to finish up all the necessary paperwork.

I think there is an official deadline for financial aid, however it is best to complete the Fafsa ASAP because it is almost given as a first come first serve basis. Once you are done with the Fafsa complete the University application on UCHSC website and complete that. I do not believe there is a deadline for student loans necessarily.

Another form I found on the UCHSC financial aid website that was of great interest to me was the "Reconsideration of Income" form. Since the FAFSA is based on last year's tax return, I got screwed on the expected contribution b/c I worked full time last year. Well I am not going to be working at all during the school year, so they're assuming on the FAFSA that I'm going to have all this money when really I won't have any! Anyway, with that reconsideration of income, you can explain circumstances like this to the University and petition them to reconsider your financial aid based on the new income. I'm hoping to get some more eligibilty by doing this.
Just thought I'd share that tidbit in case anyone else is in the same situation as I am.

Another form I found on the UCHSC financial aid website that was of great interest to me was the "Reconsideration of Income" form. Since the FAFSA is based on last year's tax return, I got screwed on the expected contribution b/c I worked full time last year. Well I am not going to be working at all during the school year, so they're assuming on the FAFSA that I'm going to have all this money when really I won't have any! Anyway, with that reconsideration of income, you can explain circumstances like this to the University and petition them to reconsider your financial aid based on the new income. I'm hoping to get some more eligibilty by doing this.
Just thought I'd share that tidbit in case anyone else is in the same situation as I am.

Thank you.

yea...I printed the word document that has all the listings for one bedroom-no pets and I am just going to go look at some of those.
hi there , i think i know who you are . we were in the same interviw day and we were even in the same gropup discussion at the end of the day . congrats on your acceptance.i just did my secondary interview last week and i am hoping to hear my acceptance soon
hope to see you this fall

Can you send a link to that? My mom is retiring this year and they are looking at her last year's pay plus her retirement bonus. Bad news for me!

hi there , i think i know who you are . we were in the same interviw day and we were even in the same gropup discussion at the end of the day . congrats on your acceptance.i just did my secondary interview last week and i am hoping to hear my acceptance soon
hope to see you this fall

Are you the one who was from Georgia?

Some more people in my classes found out that they got accepted today, has anyone else found out?

Congratulations to all of you that have gotten accepted!!! I am so excited to meet all of you guys. From what I have seen so far I think we are going to have an amazing class of 2011. I was thinking about having a get together or a dinner celebration with all the SDNers in Denver like the week before classes start. Let me know if you think that would be a good idea or not. I know it is a little premature to bring it up but I am just too excited!!!

Congratulations to all of you that have gotten accepted!!! I am so excited to meet all of you guys. From what I have seen so far I think we are going to have an amazing class of 2011. I was thinking about having a get together or a dinner celebration with all the SDNers in Denver like the week before classes start. Let me know if you think that would be a good idea or not. I know it is a little premature to bring it up but I am just too excited!!!

Are you sure your not supposed to be an event planner? ;). Dinner Sounds good to me. There does not seem to be a high number of people on SDN, so it wont require a banquet hall or anything. I hope I meet some people when I go to denver on friday. I am also excited about school, I think I am even more excited about getting out of AZ.

I was thinking about having a get together or a dinner celebration with all the SDNers in Denver like the week before classes start. Let me know if you think that would be a good idea or not. I know it is a little premature to bring it up but I am just too excited!!!

Thats a great idea!

Are you sure your not supposed to be an event planner? ;). Dinner Sounds good to me. There does not seem to be a high number of people on SDN, so it wont require a banquet hall or anything. I hope I meet some people when I go to denver on friday. I am also excited about school, I think I am even more excited about getting out of AZ.

What time do you get there on Friday?

Where are you guys staying in Denver? Depending how successful this week is when it comes to term papers I'd be game to meet up with you guys for some dinner. At the very least I could direct you to some good, local food.

That sounds like a great idea - it would be nice to get to know some of the other P1s before the first week of classes. And I think there are at least of couple of us local Denverites in the group, so we'd be able to suggest some spots. :luck:

That sounds like a great idea - it would be nice to get to know some of the other P1s before the first week of classes. And I think there are at least of couple of us local Denverites in the group, so we'd be able to suggest some spots. :luck:

Yeah! That's awesome. I don't know anything about Denver. I just wanted to meet all of y'all. Did I just say y'all? lol.

got waitlisted. guess it was due to my 2nd interview. i will decline b/c i didnt like their way of doing things.

but the school is great but the city is great (a lot of my family is there).

and oh yea, the school requires the PCAT next yr :laugh:

hi double.......... i am sorry u got waite listed , i just did my secondary interview on the 5th of this month and i am waitng for their reply. well i am totally freaking out on this waitng thing . when was the mail postmarked

I mailed in all the paperwork except for the Immunization form last week and when I checked the status of my mail it says that your item was delivered on Thursday at Denver, CO 80220. I thought the zip code was 80262 and that is what I had put for the mailing address so I called the USPS customer service and the rep. told me that the zip code for 4200 E. 9th ave is 80220 and not 80262. I tried calling UCHSC but they were already gone for the day so I will have to call them tomorrow and check if they got everything. I hope they did as it was due today.

I mailed in all the paperwork except for the Immunization form last week and when I checked the status of my mail it says that your item was delivered on Thursday at Denver, CO 80220. I thought the zip code was 80262 and that is what I had put for the mailing address so I called the USPS customer service and the rep. told me that the zip code for 4200 E. 9th ave is 80220 and not 80262. I tried calling UCHSC but they were already gone for the day so I will have to call them tomorrow and check if they got everything. I hope they did as it was due today.

All of the school's letterhead says 80262. Do you think it was a colossal mistake? :) It wasn't. This is a dense area with a couple of dozen mail rooms. The campus has two zip codes. 80262 is correct for the School of Pharmacy. It probably would arrive using 80220 - but might wind it's way in corridors and tunnels for a year or so before seeing the light of day. :laugh:

me.. waitlisted as well.. I got the letter today postmarked April 11.

Is U of C not friendly to minorities? It's getting suspicious..

Well.. Colorado is my only choice this year..

so I should hope for the best.

me.. waitlisted as well.. I got the letter today postmarked April 11.

Is U of C not friendly to minorities? It's getting suspicious..

Well.. Colorado is my only choice this year..

so I should hope for the best.

Why would you suspect that the postmark date is indicative of a racial preference? My class is really diverse. I sit in a lecture hall surrounded by people of non-caucasian ethnicities. We have a wide range of Asian, African, middle-Eastern, Russian (technically caucasian), Latino and African-Amercian students. We have a few gay students (myself included). We have one or two students with physical disabilities. At least one student is from Mars (or so it seems). The diversity is one of the things I love about my class.

A place on the wait-list is nothing to sneeze at. The competition is intense as I'm sure you know. I know a couple of people in my class who got in off the wait-list and there are probably even more that I don't know about. Now is not the time to give up or to express bitterness. You may still get in.

Good luck.

Why would you suspect that the postmark date is indicative of a racial preference? My class is really diverse. I sit in a lecture hall surrounded by people of non-caucasian ethnicities. We have a wide range of Asian, African, middle-Eastern, Russian (technically caucasian), Latino and African-Amercian students. We have a few gay students (myself included). We have one or two students with physical disabilities. At least one student is from Mars (or so it seems). The diversity is one of the things I love about my class.

A place on the wait-list is nothing to sneeze at. The competition is intense as I'm sure you know. I know a couple of people in my class who got in off the wait-list and there are probably even more that I don't know about. Now is not the time to give up or to express bitterness. You may still get in.

Good luck.

Well.. don't get too excited. :oops:

I can't blame my stats and thought my interview went well except for the group discussion.. (that was the only thing I thought I screwed up)

If what I said was inappropriate.. I'm sorry.. no offence really..

twester!! Please tell me that school is also NOT unfriendly to non-native speakers.. That's what I suspected.. I didn't mean school doesn't like minorities but people whose English is not perfect can have disadvantages.. right? That is my situation.

Even if that's the case, I'll be still upset.. because that's not something I can change in a short period of time.. (I immigrated two years ago.)

If you tell me that there are people in your class whose english is not as fluent as native speakers.. then.. I have nothing to say and will accept the decision w/o any complaint. :sleep:

Well.. don't get too excited. :oops:

I can't blame my stats and thought my interview went well except for the group discussion.. (that was the only thing I thought I screwed up)

If what I said was inappropriate.. I'm sorry.. no offence really..

twester!! Please tell me that school is also NOT unfriendly to non-native speakers.. That's what I suspected.. I didn't mean school doesn't like minorities but people whose English is not perfect can have disadvantages.. right? That is my situation.

Even if that's the case, I'll be still upset.. because that's not something I can change in a short period of time.. (I immigrated two years ago.)

If you tell me that there are people in your class whose english is not as fluent as native speakers.. then.. I have nothing to say and will accept the decision w/o any complaint. :sleep:

The school is not unfriendly to non-native English speakers. We have quite a few students in my class with accents and imperfect usage. I think my school makes alllowances for that by inviting non-native English speakers they accept to attend an intensive English-as-a-Second-Language class the summer before P1 year.

There are students in my class who struggle with language. Somehow they get through it. I understand how hard it is to work in a foreign language. I admire my classmates with imperfect English. I lived in a foreign country for three years and I never could never have studied in a doctorate program in that language (Dutch). So I admire you that you've come this far.

You're on the wait-list. That's a good thing. If you don't get in, I encourage you to speak with the Office of Student Services to find out what you need to work on for next year.

Don't get discouraged. Best of luck.

The school is not unfriendly to non-native English speakers. We have quite a few students in my class with accents and imperfect usage. I think my school makes alllowances for that by inviting non-native English speakers they accept to attend an intensive English-as-a-Second-Language class the summer before P1 year.

There are students in my class who struggle with language. Somehow they get through it. I understand how hard it is to work in a foreign language. I admire my classmates with imperfect English. I lived in a foreign country for three years and I never could never have studied in a doctorate program in that language (Dutch). So I admire you that you've come this far.

You're on the wait-list. That's a good thing. If you don't get in, I encourage you to speak with the Office of Student Services to find out what you need to work on for next year.

Don't get discouraged. Best of luck.

then why was the 2nd interview way tougher than the first one? and i doubt they wanted to see if u can speak english. if they just wanted to see if u can speak english properly, it should be similar to the first interview.

i think i got waitlisted b/c i didnt answer their ethical questions very thoroughly. i think even native speakers would have a tough time answering those questions w/o stuttering for answers for 2-3 of the questions. i mean, i was asked about societal depression and suicide and about the death penalty :eek: . i was not prepared for those at all.

but its a great school. and colorado is a great place to live. i just dont like their admission process i guess.

Thats one of the apartments I am going to look at when I go to Denver this weekend.

That looks nice. I might have to check that out myself.

Ravish- I am flying into denver at around 10 or 11 in the morning. After the housing fair, I dont know where I'll be.

Lurkerkat- I think I am going to stay at the sheraton in cherry creek. Maybe we can meet up like you said.

To all those who got waitlisted......Try and think positive. You shouldent be ashamed of bieng waitlisted. You got an interview and a spot on the waitlist over the 1500 other applicants, most of whom are probably native speakers. I hope you guys get in, you sound like amazing people. GOOD LUCK.

That looks nice. I might have to check that out myself.

Ravish- I am flying into denver at around 10 or 11 in the morning. After the housing fair, I dont know where I'll be.

Lurkerkat- I think I am going to stay at the sheraton in cherry creek. Maybe we can meet up like you said.

Yea, sure....I am flying into Denver in the evening as I have a test on Friday and then I will be leaving. I am staying somewhere close to UCHSC and go look for apartments on Saturday and Sunday. Have you looked at any apartments online yet?

YOu guys find a place to live yet? I was thinking of renting out a place like this:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/Prope...1**listingpricelow_9_0_1000**listingid_2_8376

A 1 bedroom flat. Anyone familiar with the area? Is it safe?

If you zoom out the map I actually used to live near Havana and Mississippi at a place called Summer Chase (which I would advise anyone to never live there!). The area is a bit iffy. (But I may be prejudiced because I had an awful experience living there). Definitely nothing like Colfax, but from what I've heard the area has been getting worse. A lot of businesses have been closing, like the Dillards. If you go just to the other side of 225 things are a bit nicer. They're trying to redevelop that area, there's a new shopping area and they just completely revamped the Aurora Mall.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/CO-Aurora-Trails.html

Here's the link to the apartmentratings.com website. The place used to be known as "The Trails". Just a warning the reviews are usually an odd mix. Some apartment managers make false glowing positive posts, but you also get people who will whine and complain about anything and everything. I strongly recommend using this website. Take everything on it with a grain of salt but you'll be able to spot the places to definitely avoid.

I will say it does look nice with the remodeled kitchens.

If you zoom out the map I actually used to live near Havana and Mississippi at a place called Summer Chase (which I would advise anyone to never live there!). The area is a bit iffy. (But I may be prejudiced because I had an awful experience living there). Definitely nothing like Colfax, but from what I've heard the area has been getting worse. A lot of businesses have been closing, like the Dillards. If you go just to the other side of 225 things are a bit nicer. They're trying to redevelop that area, there's a new shopping area and they just completely revamped the Aurora Mall.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/CO-Aurora-Trails.html

Here's the link to the apartmentratings.com website. The place used to be known as "The Trails". Just a warning the reviews are usually an odd mix. Some apartment managers make false glowing positive posts, but you also get people who will whine and complain about anything and everything. I strongly recommend using this website. Take everything on it with a grain of salt but you'll be able to spot the places to definitely avoid.

I will say it does look nice with the remodeled kitchens.

wow.. thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll be looking into other apts. Mind if I contact you by pm or something to get your opinion? I just want to find a place to live thats in a good community...

Of course. Happy to help because when I first moved here I chose poorly when it came to an apartment since I didn't know the area. Aurora is just weird when it comes to finding a place to live. Some areas are great, others are really run down. Also I didn't know that I should wander around the entire apartment area and not just the area the property management wanted to show, if you can visit more than once especially on the weekend to get an idea of the usual noise levels.

but its a great school. and colorado is a great place to live. i just dont like their admission process i guess.
The interview process is very similar to those at other schools. Many schools use a second interview for English as a second language students. You may find the second interview to be annoying or even think its borderline discrimination. But being able to communicate clearly in English in person and over the phone is a huge part of being a pharmacist.
I wouldn't turn them down solely because your on the wait list. Its hard to say if you got wait list because of your second interview or something else in your application. A fair number of wait list people will get in. You might as well wait and see what happens.

The interview process is very similar to those at other schools. Many schools use a second interview for English as a second language students. You may find the second interview to be annoying or even think its borderline discrimination. But being able to communicate clearly in English in person and over the phone is a huge part of being a pharmacist.
I wouldn't turn them down solely because your on the wait list. Its hard to say if you got wait list because of your second interview or something else in your application. A fair number of wait list people will get in. You might as well wait and see what happens.

I dont have time or the money to go to Denver rent now to go apt hunting :( So I have to just trust the websites and the people who live around there.

then shouldn't they do that to everyone on the phone if they want to test people's communication skills over the phone? like i said, the topics that were discussed were very ethical and social. so i think even native speakers would struggle somewhat.

just b/c ur a native does not mean u can communicate clearly over the phone.