University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The interview process is very similar to those at other schools. Many schools use a second interview for English as a second language students. You may find the second interview to be annoying or even think its borderline discrimination. But being able to communicate clearly in English in person and over the phone is a huge part of being a pharmacist.
I wouldn't turn them down solely because your on the wait list. Its hard to say if you got wait list because of your second interview or something else in your application. A fair number of wait list people will get in. You might as well wait and see what happens.

How many is a fair number? I want in!! :laugh:

I want numbers! How many people were on the waitlist last year?
and.. how many finally got in? anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

then shouldn't they do that to everyone on the phone if they want to test people's communication skills over the phone? like i said, the topics that were discussed were very ethical and social. so i think even native speakers would struggle somewhat.

just b/c ur a native does not mean u can communicate clearly over the phone.

I would say that test was probably a test of fluency more than a test of communication skills. Communication is practical, everyday speech. Fluency requires an ability to think abstractly in a language and be able to present those thoughts in a clear and concise manner. I'm not saying that any of you guys are non-fluent. You made it to the wait list, so you obviously passed the test. There were probably more than a thousand applicants who got rejected outright (that's a guess, I'm not on the adcom and I don't have much contact with OSS).

I dont have time or the money to go to Denver rent now to go apt hunting :( So I have to just trust the websites and the people who live around there.

I am going there this weekend to look for apartments...I can tell you about the ones that I went to and if they were good or bad after I get back if you want to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont have time or the money to go to Denver rent now to go apt hunting :( So I have to just trust the websites and the people who live around there.

Gotcha. Even though this company owned Summer Chase and if you ever have a serious problem they're terrible, Equity Apartments when I signed a lease with them had the option that for about $200 you could transfer your lease to another one of their properties. At least then if you choose a place that's a slum and you can't tolerate it you aren't completely trapped there. You might want to check with the other larger rental companies in the area if they offer this.

I would say that test was probably a test of fluency more than a test of communication skills. Communication is practical, everyday speech. Fluency requires an ability to think abstractly in a language and be able to present those thoughts in a clear and concise manner.

That is what I was trying to get at. I guess my post was a little confusing. The test is set up so that the interviewer doesn't have the advantage of reading the person's lips to help them understand what your saying, and also prevents you from using prepared answers.

That is what I was trying to get at. I guess my post was a little confusing. The test is set up so that the interviewer doesn't have the advantage of reading the person's lips to help them understand what your saying, and also prevents you from using prepared answers.

i understand your point. but again, to test fluency on a variety of difficult topics would be tough for a native speaker too.

for instance, i was asked to give 3 reasons why doctors should not prescribe depression medications to kids since they do more harm than good. i think even a fluent individual would struggle a little bit in answering that question.

and i do think they cared about the reasons you give too. b/c one of my interviewers said she didn't agree with one of my reasons.

so i think the 2nd interview goes beyond just seeing if u can relay your point in a concise clear manner.

just my point of view though :D . im in no way bashing the school b/c the professors were very nice. but the admission process leaves a lot to be desired. b/c i'm sure native speakers would struggle just as much (b/c i consider english my first language now anyways).

but congrats to those who got in. u will be addicted to football like i did when i visited my family there for half a yr. ;)

I appreciate that you aren't bashing CU. I get what you're saying about not liking the admission process. I had similar feelings, for different reasons, when I was applying last year. I can imagine how frustrated you are.

The good news is that you're on the waitlist. I can't stress that point enough. There IS still hope for this year.

Let's say your second interview were to be held in your native language. Would you have been able to answer the questions then? Would you have felt the self-confidence to try to convince the interviewer of your position when she disagreed with you?

Anyway, the ability to defend a position in an argument is a mark of fluency. I suspect you did well. If you don't get in this year, apply again next year. Find out exactly what you need to do to improve your application by scheduling an appointment with Beverly Brunson. It's a part of her job and, in talking with friends, she does it really well and with great sensitivity.

Maybe you'll get in this year, in which case I expect you to argue with me about something over lunch. :) I'm pretty good at it. You're buying. :laugh:

All this non-native speaking stuff is getting old. Open a thread for that, but we need a new topic in this one.

I appreciate that you aren't bashing CU. I get what you're saying about not liking the admission process. I had similar feelings, for different reasons, when I was applying last year. I can imagine how frustrated you are.

The good news is that you're on the waitlist. I can't stress that point enough. There IS still hope for this year.

Let's say your second interview were to be held in your native language. Would you have been able to answer the questions then? Would you have felt the self-confidence to try to convince the interviewer of your position when she disagreed with you?

Anyway, the ability to defend a position in an argument is a mark of fluency. I suspect you did well. If you don't get in this year, apply again next year. Find out exactly what you need to do to improve your application by scheduling an appointment with Beverly Brunson. It's a part of her job and, in talking with friends, she does it really well and with great sensitivity.

Maybe you'll get in this year, in which case I expect you to argue with me about something over lunch. :) I'm pretty good at it. You're buying. :laugh:

trust me, if i can't answer those questions in english, i wouldn't be able to do it in my native language. trust me on that b/c i'm not very good in my native language :scared: :D .

trust me, if i can't answer those questions in english, i wouldn't be able to do it in my native language. trust me on that b/c i'm not very good in my native language :scared: :D .

OK, lunch is on you anyway. :)

hi there, is there anyone who had the secondary interview like two weeks ago and have heard back from the school .

Lakers vs. Suns in the playoffs......I smell an upset. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
When do the playoffs start? I am such a horrible fan.

i had a phone interview on,,april 5th, but i haven't heard anything yet..
i am still waiting...

Lakers will steal game 1 and go on to win the series 4-2 :D

When do the playoffs start? I am such a horrible fan.

The NBA Playoffs start Saturday... and I see that Lakers vs. Suns series to be decided in a game 7!!!

Oh yea, with the Suns winning!!! LOL

I can't wait! I love the playoffs! Last years playoffs were awesome. Sorry Lakers fans I am rooting for the Suns.

Lakers will steal game 1 and go on to win the series 4-2 :D

Just looked at your photoblog........Very impressive. You got some pretty sweet photo skills. I especially like the photo that shows the lakers champoinship banners from inside staples.:smuggrin:

Lakers finally have a healthy roster. So I wouldn't count them out just yet! Isn't Nash injured this year?

Lakers finally have a healthy roster. So I wouldn't count them out just yet! Isn't Nash injured this year?

LOL! Last year, Suns were without Amare Stoudemire & Kurt Thomas.. PLUS RAJA was out for ONE GAME! LOL

LOL! Last year, Suns were without Amare Stoudemire & Kurt Thomas.. PLUS RAJA was out for ONE GAME! LOL

hahahaha... SOOOO?!?! I believe in the Lakers :p But you do have a very valid point...

It amazes me how quickly people forget the rosters. Without amare, thomas, and Raja, the suns still have a pretty good team with nash and barbosa. The lakers have Kobe. Its pretty bad when your worried when Luke Walton is hurt. On paper, the suns should have swept the lakers last year even without those players. The reason why they dident is because the suns are overrated. I will give credit where credit is due, Steve nash is a great player. Barbosa and Thomas are good players as well. But the reason why the lakers gave phoenix a run is because marion is way overrated. In the regular season he isent bad, come playoffs he is nowhere to be found. Raja Bell is probably the dumbest guy alive. This guy actually thinks he can gaurd Kobe. :laugh:. He wouldent have been able to clothes line kobe if Kobe dident blow right by him. :smuggrin:.

Anyways.......Are we still on for lunch? By the way, I dont know how often you play ball but there is a league associated with the school. I doubt I will do it the first year, but the second year could be cool. We could get a couple more people and start a team....depending on how often people play.

You aren't even a Suns fan, don't make those comments!!! You're killing me with your lack of Phoenix Suns Basketball Knowledge. Marion = most underrated player in the game (if you're looking at stats, then he's just a great player, if you watch him play he's just an amazing player.. He does a lot of things that aren't put on stat sheets). Bell = one of three players in the NBA that can guard Kobe effectively. Barbosa = 6th man of the year! Kurt Thomas = X-factor. Not to mention Boris Diaw and James Jones who make so many contributions defensively that, once again, don't show up on stats sheets.

*just as an aside, contractions are didn't, can't, wouldn't, isn't. Sorry, that just really bothers me.

You aren't even a Suns fan, don't make those comments!!! You're killing me with your lack of Phoenix Suns Basketball Knowledge. Marion = most underrated player in the game (if you're looking at stats, then he's just a great player, if you watch him play he's just an amazing player.. He does a lot of things that aren't put on stat sheets). Bell = one of three players in the NBA that can guard Kobe effectively. Barbosa = 6th man of the year! Kurt Thomas = X-factor. Not to mention Boris Diaw and James Jones who make so many contributions defensively that, once again, don't show up on stats sheets.

*just as an aside, contractions are didn't, can't, wouldn't, isn't. Sorry, that just really bothers me.

Hmmm.... ignoring the bet twice now. I guess you do not have as much faith in your beloved suns as you would have us think. Thanks for reiterating my point by the way. The suns have so and so, and blah blah blah. The Lakers have Kobe. So.....the suns should have swept L.A. last year right? Now why on gods green earth was the series so long? Oh yeah.....thats right....the suns are OVERRATED. Marion who is a decent player in the regular season is about as effective as Devon George in the playoffs. I hope that was a joke about Bell holding Kobe. Kobe can score on Bell at will. If you think otherwise....then there is no reasoning with you because you just do not get it. I also never knew internet grammer was so important. I think you need to find a lady.

lol.. man im gonna really enjoy going to pharm school in colorado. I was afraid i'll be surround by all bookworms who wont have the same interest as me. This is gonna be great...

If bell is one of three players, who are the other two? I hope at least one of the two comes from the list at the bottom. One stipulation, you can't choose Kobe. Although he is a great defensive player, I think even he could figure out a way to score on himself.

05-06 NBA All-Defensive First Team

Bruce Bowen - San Antonio Spurs
Ben Wallace - Detroit Pistons
Andrei Kirilenko - Utah Jazz
Ron Artest - Sacramento Kings
Kobe Bryant - Los Angeles Lakers
Jason Kidd - New Jersey Nets

05-06 NBA All-Defensive Second Team
Tim Duncan - San Antonio Spurs
Chauncey Billups - Detroit Pistons
Kevin Garnett - Minnesota Timberwolves
Marcus Camby - Denver Nuggets
Tayshaun Prince - Detroit Pistons

lol, game one is over and done and of course, my resilient suns shamed the lakers. barbosa/nash pretty much led the way, great game.

that's not internet grammAr, bro, that's stuff we learned in like the third grade. lol

i'm not going to argue basketball with a bunch of pseudofans that pull all-defensive team stats off espn.com to help prove a point.

suns in five, like I said previously, suns in five.

Relax guys... I was hoping this will be a fun debate just rooting for our favorite teams. No need to get so serious. It was an exciting game to watch... Im glad Odom was attacking the basket and also Farmar gettting the opportunity to start over Smush (worst attitude ever):mad:. Kobe was reallly forcing it towards the end and I give Barbosa mad props... he killed us tonight. Lakers need to have an overall team effort next time if they expect to defeat the suns...

cw_ek9 is right. The arguements getting a little to heated.

Any of you non native speakers hear anything back yet? I havent seen anything from you guys in awhile.

Ravish- How did your apartment search go? I found that if I want to live alone.... I am going to have to live in a dump. So I think I am going to lease for 6 months until the break, then find a roommate.

Relax guys... I was hoping this will be a fun debate just rooting for our favorite teams. No need to get so serious. It was an exciting game to watch... Im glad Odom was attacking the basket and also Farmar gettting the opportunity to start over Smush (worst attitude ever):mad:. Kobe was reallly forcing it towards the end and I give Barbosa mad props... he killed us tonight. Lakers need to have an overall team effort next time if they expect to defeat the suns...

LOL. I could have killed Kobe at the end. He should have gave it off to Odom. I really hope the get rid of smush in the off season. Farmar was doing a better job at trying to gaurd Nash. Barbosa was the reason why the suns won. Who was gaurding him? I think if Kwame steps up it could be a good series.

LOL. I could have killed Kobe at the end. He should have gave it off to Odom. I really hope the get rid of smush in the off season. Farmar was doing a better job at trying to gaurd Nash. Barbosa was the reason why the suns won. Who was gaurding him? I think if Kwame steps up it could be a good series.

dont hold your breath... he has the worst hands ever. Reminds me of the seasons we had samaki walker....

dont hold your breath... he has the worst hands ever. Reminds me of the seasons we had samaki walker....

lol Samaki Walker. I hoped I would never have to hear that name again! If he could get it going he might be able to contribute a couple points in the paint or at the very minimal grab a defensive rebound. The lakers cant afford to keep giving the suns second and third chance points.

hello , anyone heard from the school yet ? anyone who has done the secondary interview on the last round , i mean on the week of april 5th.
i am kind of eager to hear back from the school .

hello , anyone heard from the school yet ? anyone who has done the secondary interview on the last round , i mean on the week of april 5th.
i am kind of eager to hear back from the school .

Eager huh? LOL. I would be losing my mind. Have they told you when you should expect to hear back from them? Hopefully they will let you know within the next couple of days. I think you still have a pretty good shot seeing that someone else has been waitlisted and you havent yet. Hope you both get in though. Good luck.

Ravish- How did your apartment search go? I found that if I want to live alone.... I am going to have to live in a dump. So I think I am going to lease for 6 months until the break, then find a roommate.

Hey...I just got home right now...my flight got cancelled last night and that was the last flight to DFW...anyways I signed a six month lease at The Retreat at Aurora (very close to the Town Center Mall in Aurora)...you might know them as they were there for the Housing Fair. They gave me a pretty good deal even for a six month lease and like you said even I might move after six months if I can find a roommate. Did you have any success in finding any apartments for yourself? Were you in Denver this weekend or did you not go?

I cant believe the Mavs lost to GS Warriors last night...I was watchin the game while sitting at the airport and I could not believe it....anyways just thought I will talk about a team other than Lakers and Suns:) ...and this season, either Mavs or Suns will win the finals!

Anybody Know Anybody Who Actually Got Rejected From Uchsc

Hey...I just got home right now...my flight got cancelled last night and that was the last flight to DFW...anyways I signed a six month lease at The Retreat at Aurora (very close to the Town Center Mall in Aurora)...you might know them as they were there for the Housing Fair. They gave me a pretty good deal even for a six month lease and like you said even I might move after six months if I can find a roommate. Did you have any success in finding any apartments for yourself? Were you in Denver this weekend or did you not go?

Uhh....success is not the word I would use. I found a place that close to the 9th campus but it's not somewhere I would want to live for the whole school year. I looked at places around Cherry Creek and Glendale but I did not have time to go look at any places in Aurora. I am planning on going back to Denver to look around a little more, and sign a lease within the next month. I think I will check out the retreat.

The Mavs game was crazy....I never saw that one comming.

Uhh....success is not the word I would use. I found a place that close to the 9th campus but it's not somewhere I would want to live for the whole school year. I looked at places around Cherry Creek and Glendale but I did not have time to go look at any places in Aurora. I am planning on going back to Denver to look around a little more, and sign a lease within the next month. I think I will check out the retreat.

The Mavs game was crazy....I never saw that one comming.

How could you not see it coming? GS beat Dallas each time this year in the regular season.

No I'm saying that I was not surprised that they won game 1. Winning the series will be a different and harder challenge.

Which place did you like near the 9th ave campus?

It was called the ventana or something to that effect. Its not somewhere I'd like to live but.... I am trying to avoid taking out extra money from loans. I still trying to choose if I should do it or not. Have you heard or lived there?