University of Cincinnati Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 1/4, accepted 1/30

Are you in-state or out-of-state? Anyone on here accepted as OOS?

Members don't see this ad.

I got in out of state. (CT resident) I interviewed for both the MD and the MD/PhD combined degree, and got offers for both, but I turned down the MD only spot.

FYI to people who are interviewing in Feb: I've heard from relatives that work at UC that they are indeed trying a trial formula interview where they have 8-10 interviewers and each interviewer gives you a daily life situation, not necessarily ethical. Then they grade you overall how well you answered those.
However, I just interviewed the 29th and it was still one-one and very laidback so they haven't tried it out yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm OOS, and am (currently at least) a Michigan resident.

I drove through Cincy this weekend, and took another look at the new construction. Looks like they have made some progress and its looks amazing!

I drove through Cincy this weekend, and took another look at the new construction. Looks like they have made some progress and its looks amazing!

Hey BoilerWolverine, It would be real neat if they posted pics of the new med school and its progress but they dont. It be real cool if next time you pass through or if anybody else who can take some pics and post it . I would really appreciate it as well as other applicants who have been interviewed/accepted or people thinking about interviewing.

I took some pics, but are all only from the outside. I will post when I get home tonight.

Members don't see this ad :)
A quick questions for you guys. I've been complete since August, no change in status. I was kinda hoping to get an interview here, and thought my stats were on par with their averages (although I've heard those stats are going up). I am OOS (Detroit). I have other good options for matriculation, but I'm still hoping to hear from UC!

Has anyone been rejected pre-interview? Or is everyone that hasn't received an interview invite had no change in status? Just curious to know if I'm actually still in the running or not.

I'm in the same boat, though complete later. Anyone else?

Anyone already fill out thier financial aid stuff? Wondering about how long it took.

Also, wondering if when you filled it out, if you had to specify a school or it was a general application. I am almost positive I will be at UC, but there is still a chance I may not.

Not all of it yet. Still waiting to get my taxes filled out, so I can fill out my FAFSA. I think you can send the federal stuff wherever it needs to go, then you fill out their forms.

Thanks for the pics BoilerWolverine, as for financial aid I just received their packet and its basically doing your taxes first then filling out forms as BoilerWolverine says. Award letters wont go out until early may which might put the pressure on those deciding on schools. I did my taxes already and started filing them out today. I have done fasfa and their online form at medstop but still got a lot more reading through to do to familiarize myself with financial aid again. In grad school tuition was paid for with a stipend to go with it so I forgot some stuff.

Finally completed and sent all my financial aid stuff. Damn there is a lot they need. I'm suprised they want W2s and tax returns along with everything else... dang...

Finally completed and sent all my financial aid stuff. Damn there is a lot they need. I'm suprised they want W2s and tax returns along with everything else... dang...
Wow thats quick, I am still trying to gather parents info for financial aid so I can finish as well. I tis taking longer than I thought, they do ask for a lot. Maybe that means they will give more money.

Does anyone know if classes and labs are in the new building or are still in the old building? Im just curious.

As far as I understand, the classroom(s?), locker room, etc. will be the same as before (what we saw on the tour). However, it sounds like there will be new gross labs, library, group meeting spaces, food court, gym, etc. I would guess the histo lab will stay the same, as its just a room full of microscopes and tables. I don't know about you guys, but I'm really psyched to have the brand new facility opening for us!

Anyone else have any input on this?

Thanks for the info on financial aid. I finally got around to filling mine out. I didn't really think it took all that long. Did you guys send in your stafford request forms to UC? I'm really wasn't sure how much to ask for. And also, "awards" go out in may... do you mean free money, or loans are approved.

Good question, I would think that they would have to give our scholarships ahead of May 15, o that people could make their decisions based on that.

Also, I just put the $8500 for the Stafford loan (the max subsidized amount). Anyone else have input on this?

Which lender did you guys plan on using use?

I used T.H.E. Why? Because the link on their site worked. I looked at the three on their website, and couldn't find any difference.

Hello all,
I am a first year at cincinnati and love it here. Let me know if you guys have any questions/concerns about the school.... PM me. Ill be glad to help.

Any new updates for the recent interviewees?

Interviewed 2/11, got the sweet ole' wait list...although apparently that is the best-case scenario because they already gave out their full # of accepts at this point.

Has anyone heard how many they actually gave out? Dr. Manuel said they gave out less initial accepts than last year, so was jw.

Interviewed 2/11, got the sweet ole' wait list...although apparently that is the best-case scenario because they already gave out their full # of accepts at this point.

Has anyone heard how many they actually gave out? Dr. Manuel said they gave out less initial accepts than last year, so was jw.

Well usually medical school accept twice their class size and UCinic class size is I think 161 so they should accept some where around 322 and they interview 650 so I would guess you got a 50/50 chance. I hope things pan out for you nc0821. UCinic is one of my top choices and I most likely will matriculate there.
As a side note I think alot of people tend to under value Cinci. UCinci is excellent in everything and anything involving pediatrics. They are number 2 in peds research and with the new childrens research center they will eclipse Harvard for the number one spot most definetly. This was also confirmed by my interviewer. I applied due to my PI/mentor because I did research in his lab which involved pediatric research and he told me nothing but great things of the school. I think they are 17th in the nation right now in public funding from the NIH (don't quote me on this but they are around that area according to folks I know on study panel for the NIH) and thats without the CRC and the new MSB/Crawley CARE building. Imagine what happens in a couple years when they recruit other faculty!!!

Any news out there? I've only got one school left to hear back from before Cincy is 100% my only option. Anyone else?

A few things...word is cinci has a TON of lecture hours?? I'm assuming most are not required, but not sure how I would feel about skipping a lot of class. When I was there for my interview the number was around 40 something that regularly attend most lectures (out of 160 ish). That sort of surprised me. I saw on someone's MDApps that they disliked cinci because of their class structure or something like that, so maybe it was this they were referring to.

Also, how close/good are the workout facilities?

Does the city of Cincinnati really suck as bad as my friends tell me? Ha (sarcastic but still a question nonetheless).

Here is the gym at the CARE building, brand new: http://www.uc.edu/fitness/default.html

Also, I have friends in Cincy, who all really like living there. I grew up in Baltimore, which "sucks" to many people. I loved it, so I guess a crappy city is just what you make of it.

This thread has been real quite. With an incoming class of 160 you would think there would be a lot of traffic in here. I guess it is still fairly early for people making decisions.

I know right? I'm sure many people are still deciding where to go. For those of you that are sure you are going to UC next year, are any of you looking for roommates? I would still like to get a group of 1st years together and rent a house or something.

I will probably be attending UC. I'm OOS, but without a doubt applying for state residency before the second year. I really liked the school, my faculty interviewer was amazing, but I hope they finish the construction soon. My undergrad was full of construction my junior and senior years and it gets to be a drag.

As per apartments, I am looking for the cheapest place I can find near to the med school. The rent in Cincinnati looks great! Right now I am living in DC...so anything in Cincinnati is better than what I am paying right now...

I will probably be attending UC. I'm OOS, but without a doubt applying for state residency before the second year. I really liked the school, my faculty interviewer was amazing, but I hope they finish the construction soon. My undergrad was full of construction my junior and senior years and it gets to be a drag.

As per apartments, I am looking for the cheapest place I can find near to the med school. The rent in Cincinnati looks great! Right now I am living in DC...so anything in Cincinnati is better than what I am paying right now...

Congrats on the acceptance AvocadoTree! Im also out of state as well and will be going to Ucincy in the fall. The construction to the new school will be done before school starts in august. At my interview I think they said that the library will be done in February but who knows I just think it will be done by late July as the rest of the building. As far as rent yeah it is cheap especially compared to DC but I still plan to travel there and look at some places within the next couple of months before the best places are taken up.

There are a number of us looking at going down to UC on April 11th to look at housing options. If others could make it, we could probably set up our own 2nd look day at the school. Interested?

The day for our housing trip has been changed... Details when we figure it out. (still in April sometime)

Just to update people, we will be in Cincy the weekend of April 26. If people are interested in looking a housing, or just meeting up for a few drinks Saturday night, let me know. I know those of us coming into town would love to meet a few of our future classmates!

For those of you heading out to Cinci for housing, may I make some suggestions:

Clifton Gaslight area (I used to live here) - nice eclectic little area with a coffee shop, theater, and a few nice bars and ethnic restaurants centered around Ludlow Avenue. Typical apartments are either complexes (e.g.Clifton Colony) or rentals in the mini-mansion houses. Expect to pay around $550-600 for a 1 bedroom with utilities included.

Hyde Park (and Oakely) (where I live and highly recommend) - 4 miles from campus, great little square, nice shopping at Rookwood Commons and Hyde Park Plaza. Tons of nice restaurants and close to the highway. Takes me 15 minutes to get to school (in traffic). Costs: $500-550 for a studio, $600 for a one bedroom. My landlord is a VERY nice private landlord and he has some spots open in his buildings and I'd be willing to give you his contact details. But there are lots of places around here for good prices.

Downtown: new urban Renaissance developments with downtown lofts going for $550-750 per month. Very nice new stuff especially if you like the downtown feel. About 3 miles from UC East campus.

Places to avoid:
Main clifton area behind the main campus- very rundown apartments with tons of undergrads and section 8 housing

West End: a few friends rent here for the very nice prices, but it's not a safe part of town to be honest.

But congrats on coming to UC. No matter what anyone says, enjoy your free time now and have a good summer. You'll have more than enough work to do come August. The new school building should be great for you guys, too bad my class only got the construction end of it...c'est la vie.

For those of you heading out to Cinci for housing, may I make some suggestions:

Clifton Gaslight area (I used to live here) - nice eclectic little area with a coffee shop, theater, and a few nice bars and ethnic restaurants centered around Ludlow Avenue. Typical apartments are either complexes (e.g.Clifton Colony) or rentals in the mini-mansion houses. Expect to pay around $550-600 for a 1 bedroom with utilities included.

Hyde Park (and Oakely) (where I live and highly recommend) - 4 miles from campus, great little square, nice shopping at Rookwood Commons and Hyde Park Plaza. Tons of nice restaurants and close to the highway. Takes me 15 minutes to get to school (in traffic). Costs: $500-550 for a studio, $600 for a one bedroom. My landlord is a VERY nice private landlord and he has some spots open in his buildings and I'd be willing to give you his contact details. But there are lots of places around here for good prices.

Downtown: new urban Renaissance developments with downtown lofts going for $550-750 per month. Very nice new stuff especially if you like the downtown feel. About 3 miles from UC East campus.

Places to avoid:
Main clifton area behind the main campus- very rundown apartments with tons of undergrads and section 8 housing

West End: a few friends rent here for the very nice prices, but it's not a safe part of town to be honest.

But congrats on coming to UC. No matter what anyone says, enjoy your free time now and have a good summer. You'll have more than enough work to do come August. The new school building should be great for you guys, too bad my class only got the construction end of it...c'est la vie.

thanks for the info BerlinNeuro! Some of us are going down April 26th to look for housing and we will take some of the info in mind. We are looking at places in the Clifton/gaslight area. We are trying to live as comfortable. cheap, and close to UCCOM as much as possible. Never had to live through snow but from what others have told me is that it is very beneficial to be as close as possible to th medical campus. I do have a question though BerlinNeuro, why do you highly recommend hyde park and oakley? how easy is it to get to campus with out a car from those places? what about weather problems and such effecting your ability to get to school from hyde park and oakley?

Hi all!

I am currently a master's student at UC and will be attending UC med this fall. I've had great experiences with the medical school and I am really excited :). I am looking to live with 1 or 2 other girls, so if anyone is interested, please let me know! I have a great place in hyde park in mind.

Hi all!

I am currently a master's student at UC and will be attending UC med this fall. I've had great experiences with the medical school and I am really excited :). I am looking to live with 1 or 2 other girls, so if anyone is interested, please let me know! I have a great place in hyde park in mind.

Hey ND919, me and some friends are looking for places to live, we have been looking only in the clifton/gaslight area because they say it is close to the med school (only one out of 4 of my roommates wont have a car) and reasonably priced but I have continually heard about hyde park. Especially on SDN through Berlinneuro in the above post have recommended it. Im just interested on what your take on it is because I want to look at houses in that area as well. What is your opinion on transportation from there and school? the area? and pricing? and why it is preferred by a lot of graduate students? any input would be appreciated, thanks Fetaldoc.

Hi everyone,

I'm filling out my financial aid forms and I was wondering if UC usually gives need-based aid. Do you think it's worth it to fill out the Need Access app?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm filling out my financial aid forms and I was wondering if UC usually gives need-based aid. Do you think it's worth it to fill out the Need Access app?

Thanks!
I think it is worth a try, it wouldn't hurt. It would only be pointless to fill out if your parents make a lot of money. UC will determine if you qualify for need base aid based on you and your parents tax forms and the info you filled out in the need access website..