University of Cincinnati Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is there a special ramp to the top deck or do you have to drive through the garage?

Also I assume by regular deck you mean top deck.

My read is that there is no special ramp (you go in a circle 8 times), and that vgirl gets the Eden 1-7 permit (eg pay more), since she wants to keep her total time in that garage at a minimum.

Members don't see this ad.

Deck 1-7 was my plan, but I just want to get my facts straight.

Deck 1-7 was my plan, but I just want to get my facts straight.

I don't blame you bud. I'm probably going for the cost savings of Eden 8. G'luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
My read is that there is no special ramp (you go in a circle 8 times), and that vgirl gets the Eden 1-7 permit (eg pay more), since she wants to keep her total time in that garage at a minimum.

Correct.

I don't blame you bud. I'm probably going for the cost savings of Eden 8. G'luck.

After looking at the pricing I am starting to think Eden 8 too. $750 for parking is painful, but so is $500.

I'm not sure where you guys are coming from, but you might want to check out bus maps before you spend a ton for the parking pass. I've been here for all of the summer, and I take the bus in every day. Living in Clifton, it's pretty quick (and very free!) to take the bus to campus. Obviously, if you're further away this might not be the best option, but there is a trip planner on the Cincinnati bus website ( http://www.go-metro.com/ ) so you can see if it might be convienent from your new address. Your UC student ID gives you free rides on all Cincinnati metro busses and free is a hell of a lot less than gas + parking.

Plus there's UC shuttle buses that run all around campus to surrounding neighborhoods, are also free, and run until midnight. And a campus shuttle that runs directly from the CRC to Eden (although only 7am-7pm). ( http://www.uc.edu/af/facilities/shuttle_services.html )

Just something to think about.

Thanks for the info/links magwi. I checked and all the routes listed show my 3 mile route as taking 45 minutes... which seems pretty rough to me.

On a separate note, I just found this preliminary orientation schedule posted on medonestop. Don't know if it's been there for a while, but it has what we'll be up to for the first week.

Medonestop Login > 2008 Entering Class > Preliminary Orientation Schedule (Towards bottom right of page).

Of note, there's a letter in there about the "Tell Me Your Story" program we'll be participating in. We also get our IDs August 11th. Looking forward to this.

I'm getting into Cincinnati on the 8th. Should we all meet up somewhere that weekend before orientation?? Also, are we supposed to dress professionally for all of orientation or just the "telll me your story" and the dinner?

I'm getting into Cincinnati on the 8th. Should we all meet up somewhere that weekend before orientation?? Also, are we supposed to dress professionally for all of orientation or just the "telll me your story" and the dinner?

This is probably a good question to post on COMTalk, as most of the orientation committee students have posted there. As for hanging out the weekend before, I'm game for that. Perhaps someone who knows the area can recommend a meeting place.

Edit: Woops. If you read Memo #2 from Dr. Burr, it states "Dress for orientation is comfortable, casual clothing. Note that on the first day of orientation your picture will be taken for your ID badge and the class roster so you should dress appropriately."

Last edited:
I'm from Cincinnati. Mt Adams is a good place to go for drinks?

I'm probably an idiot, but I've registered for COMTalk but for some reason the class of 2012 message board isn't there. Any advice?

We were planning on having a laid back BBQ the weekend before orientation. We'll post more when we get closer to the date on the Facebook group.

We were planning on having a laid back BBQ the weekend before orientation. We'll post more when we get closer to the date on the Facebook group.

Bah! I am getting in on the 1st but I am leaving from the 6-9th for a wedding. I guess I will miss the BBQ. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
BBQ may be Sunday afternoon, so fear not!

I'm already here... as people trickle in we should totally do drinks etc.

Yeah I can't wait to meet everyone! I'm definitely going to be down August 1st weekend and then August 8th for good. :)

I'm probably an idiot, but I've registered for COMTalk but for some reason the class of 2012 message board isn't there. Any advice?

Nah, I'm having the same problem... All I can access are some open forums.

I'll be getting into cincinnati about a week before orientation. I look forward to meeting everyone.

As for the BBQ on sunday, isn't there also a special orientation day on sunday for OOS student. I might have to choose one over the other...

I'll be getting into cincinnati about a week before orientation. I look forward to meeting everyone.

As for the BBQ on sunday, isn't there also a special orientation day on sunday for OOS student. I might have to choose one over the other...

Yes. I just got the letter. It is 8/10/08 at 4pm.

Does anyone know when we will be getting our financial aid packet/info? I didn't see anything on med one stop, but I did get an e-mail telling me when the bill is due, and it is rather soon. It would be nice to know I have the funds to pay for school and all. :shifty:

According to the FinAid office we will be getting our award letters electronically in the next few days from Dr. Burr.

Also, I called the finaid office (513-558-6797) to find out the $ amount my loans were actually going to contribute to my tuition bill. The loan money comes in on Aug 11th and then gets applied to the bill. The actual tuition bill is not due until Aug 18th (first day of class) according to the lady in the office.

The loan company I chose, Access Group, was charging me a 1% "origination fee" and a 1% "guarantee fee", so I was already losing 2% of the loan before any aid was distributed. The finaid office verified this for me. So I did some research and found that most companies do charge these fees, HOWEVER, people on the finaid forum of SDN recommended 'Discover Financial Services'. They do not charge these fees, so you get the entire loan amount. So I cancelled my loan w/ Access company by calling them and am using Discover. Hopefully I've saved myself 2% on loans. Might not seem like much but on $25,000 that is 500 bucks.

Last edited:
I just got an electronic e-mail for my award letter.

I just got accepted and I am now looking for housing; very excited to be joining you.

Anyone have opennings or suggestions?

OK folks. It's offically August. Are people moving in this weekend? Who wants to meet up for a pre-orientation beer?

I have been moving in all weekend with help from my family. I will be free Sunday night and I would love to grab drinks!

Ok, officially moved. I am in Hyde Park and would love to meet up before classes/orientation starts. PM for my cell number. I can't wait to see all of you. I will be at the out-of-state bbq.

im around, in hyde park also, let me know if anyone wants to get together....id love to meet up before orientation!

Opie86 and I were chatting tonight, and thought it would be cool if people could get together for drinks at the Hyde Park Grill and Tavern on 8/7/08 (Thursday) at 9.

Right now it is just him and me, but we would love for more people to join. Send me or him a PM if you want our Cell #'s.

Here is the address:

3384 Erie Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45208

Hope to see you there!

I'm in. See you folks this evening.

Hey did anyone else get an Eden garage parking pass? Mine says its valid september 7th through december. Is it going to be valid for orientation week??

Hey did anyone else get an Eden garage parking pass? Mine says its valid september 7th through december. Is it going to be valid for orientation week??

Yea I did. My letter said the same thing, but I talked to the parking office and they said that the letters are mostly used to put on that purple sticker, and what really matters is what the computer thinks you are signed up for. I would give them a call and see when you pass starts.