University of Cincinnati Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoilerWolverine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread for any and all things related to 'ole Cincinnati.

I got accepted last week and am about 90% sure I'm headed there in August. Wanted to see who else was out there?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been complete since Sept and I have not heard anything from them as of yet. How did you like the campus?

I should be hearing from them on wednesday....do they send you an email in the morning?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should check your status page, I was told my decision would be this Wednesday, but it was posted last week.

The campus is pretty sweet. I am pretty excited about all of the new construction, as it seems like they are really trying to take the school up a couple of notches.

Got my official acceptance in the snail mail today. It comes in a thin regular envelope, so don't assume anything if you see one of these.

Just wanted to start a thread for any and all things related to 'ole Cincinnati.

I got accepted last week and am about 90% sure I'm headed there in August. Wanted to see who else was out there?

congrats!!!!! the students at cincy seem really happy. that's all i can really comment on. :thumbup:

Congratulations on the acceptance!

Just curious, how many weeks after the interview was your decision posted? I just interviewed this week, and was told to expect 3-4 weeks. I LOVED it there too!

They said the same, but my decision was posted on the status page after 2 weeks.

They said the same, but my decision was posted on the status page after 2 weeks.

Hey Congrats on the Acceptance...
IF you dont mind may i ask you why you want to go to U of Cinci over Wayne State eventhough it is out of state tuition.....Is it just the whole enviroment.....or is it jut rankings....

Please Elaborate....

There are a number of things abount UC that I liked over Wayne, including the overall atmosphere.

1) Curriculum is systems based, Wayne's is not
2) Exams are all computer based MCQ, in the format of the boards
3) BRAND NEW building, including a library, gross labs, etc.
4) Rising USMLE scores, giving me the impression they are really trying to improve the school
5) Non-competative atmosphere, where I felt that at Wayne the students were very competative
6) Cincinnati is a nicer town than Detroit (I think), espescially around the med school
7) After a year, Cincinnati will give you in-state tuition
8) I am involved in neuroscience research, and UC has a "scholars" program, where you conduct research in that area, and then are given specal recognition when you graduate

In addition to all the specific things, there was just a friendly and supportive atmosphere at UC. Wayne is such a large med school I felt that you might just become another face in the crowd. Anybody else have other things they liked about UC?

In addition to all the specific things, there was just a friendly and supportive atmosphere at UC. Wayne is such a large med school I felt that you might just become another face in the crowd. Anybody else have other things they liked about UC?

-There are affordable, decent apartments that are the same walking distance to the school as the parking garage is. You could literally go home for lunch if you lived there.
-Tutoring is widely available, and you are encouraged to engage in it.
-The class seems reasonably close knit, and there is a nice variety of interesting ECs. I'm not a big EC person, and even I was impressed.
-They have a USMLE prep course built into the curriculum.

UC seems like a great option. I was pleasantly surprised by the place. The new facility is going to be a huge advantage for the school. It's not my top choice, but I'd love to go there.

Here are what I view as the downsides:

-Curriculum seems pretty traditional, which leaves you stuck in lecture/lab until ~3-5 PM each day. That's a huge time commitment.
-Clinical opportunities are good, but not outstanding. Other schools give you more flexibility in the clinical years.
-No mandatory research requirement.
-The preclinical years are not Pass/Fail.

Hello. Med school sucks. I am currently at cincinnati and i hate it. hahaha just joking. I love Cincinnati. It is actually a lot of fun. Hope to see you guys next year!

Wondering if anyone else had heard anything new?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there about a month ago, haven't heard anything though. was also wondering when to expect a decision.

Hey guys,

I am hoping a current med student or someone who has already interviewed there can answer my 2 questions... I am interviewing there on Tuesday!

1. What is a nice (not super expensive $75ish max) place to stay that is close to the school? I'll have a car but prefer to not have to drive far the morning of my interview.

2. What's the deal with the construction? It seems that every year they say it will be ready for the next year but it never is. If you look in the interview feedback there are lots of entries that say "Lots of construction, should be done by the time we start" and this goes years back!

Thank you!

I can't comment on where to stay, but I can comment on what I saw when I was there. The construction looks very close to being done. The library was getting finishing done, and the admissions office has been moved so they can finish up. They said they should be done in July, FOR SURE. Let us know how it looks when you are there.

Personally, I'm really excited, as they claim to have brand new gross labs, library, etc. Would be an exciting time to be part of a school on the rise!

I was complete there before any of my other apps (10/24), haven't heard a peep since then.

My daughter interviewed at Cincinnati in October and was accepted 2 weeks later.

I wonder if we were in the same interview group? Is she planning on attending UC?

custard, I'm pretty sure you take them all at the same time. If you find the class schedule somewhere, you'll see that you have all those classes together.

http://webcentral.uc.edu/eschedules/weeklyview.cfm

Here it is!

Right now, she plans on attending Cincinnati.

I'm a first year at Cincinnati.

About the construction--it's not really clear when it's going to be done. You'll hear the phrase "UC stands for under construction" more than once. They keep telling interview groups it will be done "soon," but the official date keeps changing. I, for one, would like to use the library. But there are plenty of other study spaces, and it's nice to mix it up sometimes.

The schedule is systems based. For example, we looked at the kidney in histology, learned about the urea cycle in biochem, and studied renal phys in the physiology course. They try to separate the blocks into systems as much as they can, but it's not completely possible. First block is a lot of random intro stuff that you need for the rest of the year, and then after that you start getting more into organ systems. One of the things I really like is having gross anatomy spread out over the entire year. A lot of schools have you complete it in 9-10 weeks at the beginning of first year... not only is that a lot of cramming, but it makes it that much harder to remember by the time Step 1 comes around.

The kind of crappy thing about the schedule is that it is a big time commitment if you are a class-goer. I go to about 1/2 of the lectures.

A couple of questions, if you don't go to the lectures, how do you get the info?

Also, it sound like you are enjoying your time there, could you tell us a few of the best and worst things about UC?

A couple of questions, if you don't go to the lectures, how do you get the info?

Lectures are taped, synced to the powerpoints and put up online the same day. And you get all the notes.

Most classes give you a syllabus that has all the information you need in it, but that's pretty standard at most med schools. The only exception here is biochem, which is pretty much all powerpoint. I go to almost every biochem lecture, as a result of that. Some people who don't go to lectures listen to them online--you can watch the powerpoint and listen to the lectuere at the same time. I don't really see the point, unless you live a considerable distance away. Might as well go to class if you're just going to listen to it later. Audio learners like it a lot though--some of my classmates listen to the lectures two or three times.

Some of the best things:
-Classmates. You are put in a lot of small groups at the beginning of school, so you get to know a lot of different people this way. And no one understands what you're going through except for your fellow students. The people here are great. :)
-Class wise, I like the systems approach and having anatomy spread out over the entire year.
-If you haven't heard about IvaDean, you will. She is our med school mommy, and has the answers to every question you have. Plus she always has snacks in her office!
-Clinical experiences early in first year. I've already done two patient interviews at the hospital. Plus there are a lot of hospitals in Cincy... 4 just in walking distance of the med school!
-Lots of shadowing opportunities, through various clubs and small group preceptors.
-I'm in the MSSP, which is a great opportunity to distinguish yourself in your Dean's letter come Residency application time, but more importantly, will give me extra clinical experiences and mentors.

Some of the worst:
-The area. I live about 10 minutes away from campus because I would be afraid to walk around at night by myself. A lot of people who walk live in Piedmont Mews or in Stetson, but I decided I would commute (i.e., spend less $ on the apt, more on the parking pass and gas).
-Construction, I guess? But that's been going on since I got here and since I interviewed, so I don't think it's really fair to complain. The workers are pretty good about keeping quiet during our classes and exams.

What is your concentration in MSSP?

MSSP = Medical Student Scholars Program

There's I think 5 or 6 of these, each accepting somewhere between 5 and 10 students. Basically you apply early in first year. Most of the programs have a short written application and an interview, and it's not really based on grades... more on interest. Each program is a little different in what they require. It gets mentioned in your Dean's letter (probably a one-liner) and at graduation.

MSSP groups include Neuroscience, Geriatrics, International Health, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, and Nutrition. There may be more but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Most of those would be useful for going into any specialty, so you don't necessarily have to be sure that you want to do the specialty. Most of the people in first year have no idea what kind of medicine they are going to go into.

Do any of these MSSPs take a significant chunk of time or are they pretty spread out?

Finally got a decision... just not the one i was dreaming about. Interview 10/29, Waitlisted 12/8.

Ouch.

Do any of these MSSPs take a significant chunk of time or are they pretty spread out?

I'm not really sure. I only know about mine. You've probably already looked at the info at medonestop, but that might have some info about time commitment.

Last edited:
anyone else interviewing at University of Cincinnati January 7th?

I interviewed on the 7th. At this time of year, I'm not expecting to hear back for at least a couple of weeks. Although, last year I interviewed at Cincinnati on the 19th and actually received an Alternate List notification dated 9 days later (Wednesday the 28th of the following week) via Snail Mail. So you never know, they may be letting us know next week... Good Luck!!

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping a current med student could answer...

Is it true that lectures take up a large part of the day? How long are people typically in lectures (they aren't required right?)?

Also, about how often are exams?

Bump
University of Cincinnati Class 2012

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping a current med student could answer...

Is it true that lectures take up a large part of the day? How long are people typically in lectures (they aren't required right?)?

Also, about how often are exams?

I also would like to know.
Anyone?

If you look at the schedule online, it would appear that we will be spending a large chunk of time in lecture.

Does any one know when Cincinnati Interviews until and whens the last time they make interview offers?

Does any one know when Cincinnati Interviews until and whens the last time they make interview offers?

Not sure but I just got an interview offer 5 min ago. I was complete since Sept and was starting to lose hope. Good luck.

Anyone know if you can try to interview earlier than when they offer you a date if you have to go out of the country?

Not sure but I just got an interview offer 5 min ago. I was complete since Sept and was starting to lose hope. Good luck.

+1 !!! Interview invite. :)

Altesse said:
Anyone know if you can try to interview earlier than when they offer you a date if you have to go out of the country?

Let me know what you find out, I may have to reschedule mine as well.

+1 !!! Interview invite. :)

Let me know what you find out, I may have to reschedule mine as well.

I just rescheduled my interview and the lady I spoke to was so nice and helpful. Good luck rescheduling.

Good luck guys! Is UC a top choice of yours?

Yes, definitely! I have never been to Cincinnati but a roommate of mine said such great things about the school and the city that I checked it out. It seems like a great place and I like the fact that there is a lot of research going on

To be frank, I didn't have any real top choices because I had no clue where I'd get interviews - let alone get in. I only applied to schools I would attend, but chose them mostly on numbers and my odds of getting in.

There are some things I really like about UC - especially from a research point of view. The head of the NSG department researches TBI's - pretty much paradise for me. :)

To be frank, I didn't have any real top choices because I had no clue where I'd get interviews - let alone get in. I only applied to schools I would attend, but chose them mostly on numbers and my odds of getting in.

There are some things I really like about UC - especially from a research point of view. The head of the NSG department researches TBI's - pretty much paradise for me. :)

I hear ya! I had no idea where I wanted to end up, but I know I'm going to be very happy at Cincy.