University of Chicago-Pritzker Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else get a call today re: financial aid? They boosted mine nicely...awesome!!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on the scholarships! wish i got one of those calls...I am excited about next year though~

Members don't see this ad :)
ME TOO!!! I was so shocked!!! I am extremely glad I chose Pritzker now!

Are you on any waitlists? I'm wondering if this was a "come here" bribe post May 15th, since I did mention in my email to David that although i had withdrawn my other acceptances, i was remaining on one waitlist...

If Chicago is just that nice to give money when you're locked in anyway, man, that's pretty awesome.

i'm continually amazed by the pull of off waitlist acceptances and waitlist chances on financial aid. i was wavering earlier this week but now i'm pretty sure i'm back to pritzker but on tuesday i got off the baylor(which was tied w/ pritzker in my estimation of my dream med school) waitlist and mentioned to them that i had some scholarship to pritzker and all of a sudden an offer of $O morphed into 12k/yr. I wonder if med schools just have a ton of funding sitting around for bribing or last minute bargains. good job w/ your scholarships guys! good to see, some discussion in this thread. i thought it was going dead.

Are you on any waitlists? I'm wondering if this was a "come here" bribe post May 15th, since I did mention in my email to David that although i had withdrawn my other acceptances, i was remaining on one waitlist...

If Chicago is just that nice to give money when you're locked in anyway, man, that's pretty awesome.

I am on a waitlist, but it is a waitlist I have no chance of getting off of (Columbia P&S)--unless I do some serious groveling, which I have no desire to do... Anyway, I really don't know what was up with the extra money, but I am not going to complain! Good luck to everyone else. Hopefully there will be more happy posts in the near future!

Yeah, I received one of those financial aid calls on the 16th, as well, though I didn't receive the news itself until yesterday since I get no cell phone service here in Middle-of-Nowhere, Missouri. Those kinds of calls are always welcome.

...and now it's time to pack for a nice long road trip, devoid of responsibility.

i got the call.

the call as in you got in? if so, congrats!!!! join our facebook group! we just lost a member hahhahahha. or if you are referring to the financial aid call, then good job again if you got more financial aid than initially! either way it's a win win.

How's everyone doing in here?

pretty much dead. it's been a while since this dread was animated. so nosugrefneb, you're done with 2nd? year? how's that Step 1 studying treating you? If it's 3rd year you're done with i apologize...but then again i don't b/c that means you're almost home free!

Neither, actually. Just finishing up my last final of first grad year. Took step 1 last summer. Glad it's over. My original classmates are taking their last shelf next Friday and the planning for several massive parties has been underway for some time now.

Anyway, if anyone has questions, don't hesitate to ask. Congrats to all again.

seeing as no one else responded here's a question: our class seems to have an affinity for living in regents as the end all be all but i don't really like what i see (extra pay for parking, pay for gym, kinda far off, not that nice looking) so i was wondering if generally med students also live in the windermere. i like the looks of the place but i don't want to be on a private island or anything. i'm sure that living in regents will come in handy for lowkey hanging out, study sessions, bonding, etc so will i be missing out majorly/all by myself at the windermere based on past housing trends for pritkzer students?

ebi - the regents thing probably is just because nobody really knows the area well enough to know where the best places are at, since regents is pretty well known people know going in that they will get a decent place at a reasonable price with an easy way to get to class. i was in hyde park the other day and drove around a bit to see what looked cool - if you want a place near class, workout facilities, etc - there are some nice looking places between woodlawn and ellis e-w and 50th and 55th n-s (any comments ben? i know youve stated your preference for the south loop, but have you known anyone who enjoyed living in this area of HP?)

if i end up at regents itll probably just be for 1 year until i get to know the area better and find a place closer to campus that i like for the reasons i mentioned above. but im a prudent chap.

and btw- hope everybody's having a fun summer, dont make the mistake i did and avoid work like the plague!

...i was wondering if generally med students also live in the windermere. i like the looks of the place but i don't want to be on a private island or anything. i'm sure that living in regents will come in handy for lowkey hanging out, study sessions, bonding, etc so will i be missing out majorly/all by myself at the windermere based on past housing trends for pritkzer students?

Med students do live in the Windemere if I recall correctly (I've known a handful that have over the years), and I've not heard anything bad about it. Obviously there will never be as many people there as there are in Regents, but that definitely shouldn't be a deal breaker for any place in Hyde Park; that Regents is so medically populous is merely a convenient bonus in my opinion. Your social life will certainly not be lacking if you live outside of Regents (or HP, for that matter).

the regents thing probably is just because nobody really knows the area well enough to know where the best places are at, since regents is pretty well known people know going in that they will get a decent place at a reasonable price with an easy way to get to class.

Regents is nice, but it's not, like, fricking OMG ridonculomazing. So, I completely agree with you: It's largely the peer pressure factor.

i was in hyde park the other day and drove around a bit to see what looked cool - if you want a place near class, workout facilities, etc - there are some nice looking places between woodlawn and ellis e-w and 50th and 55th n-s

Excellent area. Tons of walkups and random apartment buildings. Probably the most popular general area to live overall for med students for its proximity. You could probably even extend that area south to 59th, west to Drexel-ish (or whatever that one just east of Cottage is), and east to Dorchester or further. You're not sacrificing niceness beyond there, but at that point it's getting a little far from the BSLC and the convenience of living in HP goes down.

Addendum: I just checked the website for the Windermere, and whoa that is pricey, especially if you're living alone. My recommendation if you're living there: hook up with some future classmates, get the 3BR/2.5BA if you can, rotate bedrooms every quarter, and it'd be pretty cheap. Otherwise, probably not worth it to be so far away unless you get a sweet view of the museum.

so question that's been bugging me...what street is pritzker on or most of the buildings we'll use as med students on? i thought it was East 57th like all the surface mail i've been getting and the website says. and given that, why do people keep saying that living on E. 57th is far away, i would think that this is rather close. i mapquested the distance from windermere(on East 56th) to the East 57th address Pritzker always sends mail from and it says it is 1.06 miles (which i guess some may say is a 15 minute walk). that doesn't seem too far to me. when i mapquested drexel and all those other areas it was like 2-4 miles and regents was 5-6 miles away. am i doing something wrong...i know i might be annoying and i apologize...its just that my future roomie is outta town for the next 2 weeks and i wanna get this sorted but i don't envision any trip to chicago until end of july at earliest.

maybe i didn't listen somewhere. why is regents seen as so convenient?

yeah, so the bslc is on 57th and ellis. its about 2 miles from regents and probably about a mile from where you are referring to.

regents is probably farther than a lot of the places you might be looking at, i think the 'convenience' thing comes from 1) having a bus that goes to campus and 2) the large number of med students there. chicago usually has a couple cold weeks each winter in which walking around might be rather undesirable, but other than that you can probably walk or ride a bike to class every day from most of hp.

Agreed with modelslashactor (not the other way around). The convenience of Regents come not with proximity but with the all-in-one, packaged feel.

The BSLC is officially at 924 E. 57th Street. I've been there on occasion. According to Google Maps, Regents is 1.7 miles away and Windermere 1.1. Of course, neither of those are terrible, but there are closer places. Probably wouldn't want to walk from Regents, but Windermere wouldn't be too bad. Just would be a long walk, especially in the winter and/or summer.

Has anyone heard of some recent waitlist movement?