University of Chicago-Pritzker Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ben, or anyone else, I thought I remembered someone recommending a real estate agent but in my quick scan over this thread I didn't see one mentioned - know of anyone?

No idea...my apologies. You might just try a Google search for south-side realtors in Chicago, and consult the Life at Pritzker guide on the website too...it should have some useful info if you haven't looked through it yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I found my apartment in Hyde Park just by wandering around a week or two before I wanted to move in and looking for "for rent" signs. The agency that owns my apartment complex, which I'm really happy with, is Wolin-Levin, whose office is on 55th street near the lake. I think if you walk in and ask what they've got they'll give you a list of all their properties in the area. I also recommend Craigslist online so you can search for apartments with amenities you're interested in (laundry, dishwasher, etc.).
Also, if you're not going to have a car, I recommend looking around Kimbark Plaza on Kimbark and 53rd or, even better, the Co-op market near Lake Park and 55th -- we live right behind Kimbark Plaza and it has been REALLY convenient to have a CVS, grocery store, and bank right next door -- not to mention a bus stop and several restaurants.
But in general, the real estate market has a really quick turnover in Hyde Park, so you shouldn't be looking for an apartment yet unless you're in the MSTP program!

I found my apartment in Hyde Park just by wandering around a week or two before I wanted to move in and looking for "for rent" signs.

Hey, thanks a lot for the student perspective. I know it's been run into the ground but could you comment on safety in Hyde Park? I'm OK myself, being large and male and having lived in NYC, but my wife-to-be is small and terrified of cities. I understand not to wander around alone at three AM, but how is your morning commute? Does your apartment feel safe? Are there any sections of HP to avoid when looking for places?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks a lot for the student perspective. I know it's been run into the ground but could you comment on safety in Hyde Park? I'm OK myself, being large and male and having lived in NYC, but my wife-to-be is small and terrified of cities. I understand not to wander around alone at three AM, but how is your morning commute? Does your apartment feel safe? Are there any sections of HP to avoid when looking for places?

I'm a small town girl myself, so it really did take some adjustment living in Hyde Park. Personally, as a woman, I don't walk around after 10pm if I can help it, much less at 3am. But if you have to, and you will, especially between the bus stop and your door, just be really aware of your surroundings. Stick to Woodlawn Ave. and 55th street, for instance, because they're well-traveled. I don't feel extremely safe when it gets dark (I wouldn't in any big city), but I think it's much better to be paranoid than to try not to worry. I've NEVER had any trouble at all, but I have known people who have been robbed at midnight. Honestly, I'd be more worried if your fiancee weren't terrified of living in a city, because I really think her paranoia, if it doesn't drive her crazy, will be her best defense. She's less likely to put herself in potentially dangerous situations.
That said, I feel pretty safe during the daytime, especially if I stick to the main streets when I'm walking. There are usually so many people around that you really don't have much to worry about. I walk to class, take the bus, ride my bike -- all are fine.
As far as finding a safe place to live, I can come up with a few suggestions:

1) Third-floor or higher apartments are safer, so they're worth the walk up. We live on the third floor and feel very safe.
2) Look for apartments south of 50th street and north of 59th street...I probably wouldn't go any farther west than Ingleside. Just general guidelines.
3) Take a look at the CTA routes 171, 172 and 174 at http://facilities.uchicago.edu/transpparking/transportation/index.shtml, which will give you a general idea of where students are living. Or you can look up the evening bus routes so you make sure you're living near that route so you don't have to walk very far at night.

Hopefully this is helpful. I really love living in Hyde Park, despite the fact that I can't take barefoot walks at midnight like I can in my hometown. It's just something you get used to, and Chicago's amazing city life more than makes up for it, I think. Plus, I think it's great that the UChicago hospitals have such a diverse patient population...we're really living in the thick of it in Hyde Park...you're not isolated in your academic ivory tower, away from the real world, which I think is really important in keeping you grounded.
Good luck with your decisionmaking and let me know if you have other questions!

Hey guys! Congratulations on your acceptances...you're going to love it here!

Since people are talking about housing, I thought I'd throw in there that I'm a current first year (soon to be second year...my how time flies!) that is very likely going to be looking for a roommate for my place - I live in an awesome 2 bed, 2 bath condo in the south loop area, reasonably priced - and personally, I really enjoy living outside of Hyde Park. So if you think you might possibly be interested in living in that area, PM me and i'll be happy to give you some details!

Hey guys! Congratulations on your acceptances...you're going to love it here!

Since people are talking about housing, I thought I'd throw in there that I'm a current first year (soon to be second year...my how time flies!) that is very likely going to be looking for a roommate for my place - I live in an awesome 2 bed, 2 bath condo in the south loop area, reasonably priced - and personally, I really enjoy living outside of Hyde Park. So if you think you might possibly be interested in living in that area, PM me and i'll be happy to give you some details!

Everyone seems to like the south loop area who lives there...I think I am going to have to check it out...anyone else besides me not able to get to the admitted students bulliten board?

Is anyone here going to the May 11 revisit weekend?

Of those of you who have already been to one, how did you enjoy it?

I'm just going to revisit for fun, I'm already 100% sure I'm going to Pritzker!! :D

At this point, a friend and I are planning on the May 11th revisit. I'll echo your question, though: How have these revisits been, for those who have already attended one?

At this point, a friend and I are planning on the May 11th revisit. I'll echo your question, though: How have these revisits been, for those who have already attended one?

I revisited earlier...it was good to see the school again...we just talked essentially with a couple faculty members...sat in on a class...hung out with 3rd and 4th years for a while in the student lounge and talked with them...all the students were very nice and willing to answer questions....there was some down time to just lurk around the campus but overall it was a good day...nothing spectacular

Everyone seems to like the south loop area who lives there...I think I am going to have to check it out...anyone else besides me not able to get to the admitted students bulliten board?

what website is this? i haven't even heard of it.

Hey everyone and congrats on your acceptances. I am a current MS1 at Pritzker. I thought I would answer a few questions from all over this board. First, I live in HP with my fiancé and we have both found it to be a great community. I decided on Pritzker over WashU and several state schools and lower ranked private schools (rankings really don’t matter, think school culture). To answer the comments about higher scores being recruited, yes they are looking for higher scores than in the past (having a high MCAT I take offense the assumption that I have no interpersonal skills, that’s the MSTPs :D ). This policy is in response to several things including a few students failing out several years ago because they were not prepared academically, poor performance on USMLE step 1 a few years ago, and alumni pressure to correct a slide in the rankings, again several years ago. On to some living things…

One thing to keep in mind when you are deciding on whether to live outside of HP is that 80% or more of your classmates will be in HP. Parties, studying, dinners, social rounds, hanging out, all occur in HP at a much higher frequency than anywhere else for the first years. In spring quarter your schedule can become vary random with electives and clinical skills, and it is nice to be in walking distance of school. As an observation a few of my classmates sent out emails during winter quarter asking people to do more things downtown because they were tired of commuting back and forth for social events... That said they all love living outside of Hyde Park and as time has passed there seems to be less of an issue with this.

I think a very important question is do you want to leave school behind at the end of a day for a different environment... When considering living outside of HP remember the cost of parking! It can easily add $200 each month to your rent. If looking to buy a condo be aware of assessments that can cost more than rent on a similar apartment (I have seen some as high as $800+ a month). For those of you with significant others working downtown there is no better place to commute from than HP, the city is minutes by car, CTA and Metra, and is a short bus ride away.

There are four student heavy areas in HP that I would personally recommend looking at. Some do overlap, but they are all distinct micro communities inside Hyde Park. Regents is very popular with my class, but major downsides are the cost even with the student discount (you can get a nice 1 bed room in HP for the cost of a studio), very limited street parking, and the distance from campus (10-15min bus, 30 min walk). The area in a 2 block radius of Woodlawn and 53rd includes some of the closest UofC grad housing (on 51st), as well as many of the better maintained apartments. 53rd has many stores and restaurants starting at Woodlawn and going all the way down to the lake. Along Ellis ave and parallel streets from 55th to 51st there are many nice condos and apartments as well as some bargains (not the best condition), but all are very close to the BSLC and gym. Finally, along 57th and parallel streets from Kimbark east there are a lot of condos and good restaurants. There are places around and inbetween these, but these are the areas I will be looking at next year if I decide to switch apartments. Currently I am in the 53rd and Woodlawn area. One other somewhat popular area where I would be hesitant to live but not adverse to, is south of the midway (59th). These apartments feel a little distanced and the neighborhood is somewhat questionable, but you can find great places at reasonable prices, and you are located close to UofC hospitals.

I know someone asked about I house. My personal thinking is it is overpriced (really small communal bathrooms) and kind of isolated. Only one of my classmates is living there, but I think he enjoys it. If you want more info, post and I will get back to you.

More to come on tuition, classes, safety, etc. If you have any questions I will be checking this thread for the next few days instead of studying neurobio.

(having a high MCAT I take offense the assumption that I have no interpersonal skills, that’s the MSTPs :D )

:(

Actually, to be honest, I was really amazed at how personable the MSTPs were the two times I visited. In fact, one of the major reasons I really like Pritzker is how awesome everybody there seems to be. When I was interviewing, I had sometime between faculty interviews, and went to the coffee shop in the bookstore. While I was sitting there, some current med students basically kidnapped me and took me to the student lounge in the hospital to meet people (it was a Friday afternoon, and apparently there is some recurring social gathering there). So yeah, I can't wait to get this med school party started. :D

:(

Actually, to be honest, I was really amazed at how personable the MSTPs were the two times I visited. In fact, one of the major reasons I really like Pritzker is how awesome everybody there seems to be. When I was interviewing, I had sometime between faculty interviews, and went to the coffee shop in the bookstore. While I was sitting there, some current med students basically kidnapped me and took me to the student lounge in the hospital to meet people (it was a Friday afternoon, and apparently there is some recurring social gathering there). So yeah, I can't wait to get this med school party started. :D

I was kidding about the MSTPs. We all have a lot of fun together. Actually, we are already dreading losing our MSTPs after second year. :(

For those of you still on the fence I hope you have/will have the opportunity to go to social rounds on a Friday before you make your decisions (they occur every Friday). It is one day a week, but it makes all the difference. I personally wish I had known about it before I made my decision it would have made everything so much easier. There is no better way to become friends with the upperclassman than hanging out together after a tough week. Most plans for the weekend are setup and announced there and it provides a great facilitator for meeting classmates during that awkward stage when all anyone seem to say is "where are you from?" and "where did you go to school?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I was kidding about the MSTPs. We all have a lot of fun together. Actually, we are already dreading losing our MSTPs after second year. :(

For those of you still on the fence I hope you have/will have the opportunity to go to social rounds on a Friday before you make your decisions (they occur every Friday). It is one day a week, but it makes all the difference. I personally wish I had known about it before I made my decision it would have made everything so much easier. There is no better way to become friends with the upperclassman than hanging out together after a tough week. Most plans for the weekend are setup and announced there and it provides a great facilitator for meeting classmates during that awkward stage when all anyone seem to say is "where are you from?" and "where did you go to school?"

thanks for all the great inside info. this is just the type of stuff i wanted to learn more about. so what sort of things do pritzker students do together on the weekends?

I think someone should make a cool facebook group like the class of 2010...:)

Yay :)

I want to join, but I feel like that would be wrong since I'm not an "official" class member yet.

Yay :)

I want to join, but I feel like that would be wrong since I'm not an "official" class member yet.

I'm still not postive either Towelie but I think we should join anyhow.

so i wanna take my car next year for personal reasons and travel reasons. is there really no parking anywhere in hyde park?

I did, despite my current indecision. C'mon in.

I joined, eliminating any anonymity I might have had on SDN. What's up.

(and we are quite a sexy group of people. But why is only one out of six of us female?)

im glad to see people are starting to lean towards making a final decision...i am going to past the facebook link on the admitted student bulliten board so others can access it.

im glad to see people are starting to lean towards making a final decision...i am going to past the facebook link on the admitted student bulliten board so others can access it.

changed my mind...ill let someone else post it on there...i dont want to be to blame if pritzker starts snooping around peoples profiles..ha

so i wanna take my car next year for personal reasons and travel reasons. is there really no parking anywhere in hyde park?

There is a ton of parking in Hyde Park. I have had a car here for the last 9 months and never had a problem with parking. I have never had to park more than a block and a half from my apartment and that occurs very very rarely. The parking is scarce really close/on campus in the morning and around Regents but it is still manageable.

yeah EBI, at my second look I was at regents and there was a TON of FREE parking right by the complex (i understand that most of these spots are taken after ~5 though). hyde park has by far more available parking than college towns and the fact that there is free parking anywhere beats downtown.

also, i don't know if you're from chicago or elsewhere, but chicago traffic (at least once you get inside the city) is far superior to every other big city i have been to. so having a car should be dandy!

yeah EBI, at my second look I was at regents and there was a TON of FREE parking right by the complex (i understand that most of these spots are taken after ~5 though). hyde park has by far more available parking than college towns and the fact that there is free parking anywhere beats downtown.

also, i don't know if you're from chicago or elsewhere, but chicago traffic (at least once you get inside the city) is far superior to every other big city i have been to. so having a car should be dandy!

you should join our facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2351986793

hey ben,
does anyone live kind of on the north side? (wrigleyville)
i was wondering what the commute would be like... either on public transportation or by car.
if anyone else knows, please let me know!!!

I'm not sure that anyone lives that far north, but yes, people definitely live on the north side proper (at least in my class, anyway, and I'm sure other classes have some too). I'd definitely recommend having a car if you were to live up there; taking the el or buses would be a hassle in my opinion and would likely take upwards of an hour. Driving would probably be about 30-40 minutes door-to-door, depending on how far north you are and where/when you park on campus. Old Town and Lincoln Park are probably the most popular north-side neighborhoods (I fricking love Old Town and would live there in a second), and probably the furthest north I've heard of someone living is Lakeview (although one guy formerly owned a home in Evanston and drove down every day...ouch).

There is a bus that goes directly from Union Station or Ogilvie Station (or both) that goes directly to the hospital, which I imagine is quite convenient (many attendings do this, including Dr. Humphrey), but it's not terribly close to places that are farther north.

Again, as with all of my advice, ask around; I'm just one dude with one opinion and one collective class' worth of experience.

Affirmative. I work at the UC (like the OC but less random mating) and I recommend bringing a car whether or not you end up commuting. I have pretty much taken every route of transportation to get to work from the loop and surrounding areas: 90/94, lake shore drive, the red line, the green line, buses #2, #4, and #6. If you are able to bring a car and do not, you will regret it when you need to get somewhere fast.

Most people who commute to the University of Chicago drive. Thus, there are many permit-free, meter-free places to park your car at all times of the day. You just have to look in the right spots. Obviously, the earlier you arrive the better. Sometimes these spots may require a 10 minute walk to the hospitals.

The red line + #55 bus takes about 40-50 minutes from the loop. It depends on how many people have jumped on the CTA track that day or how long you are "waiting for signals ahead". Actually, to be fair, the train is usually consistent and fast. It's the bus that's sometimes incredibly slow. However, there are scheduled buses that get you to the El (#174, for example). These routes were developed for UChicago students and staff.

If driving, the 90/94 expressway is to be avoided at rush +/- 2 hours. Take lake shore drive. It's prettier and it's almost always quicker (15-30 minutes to the loop). I try not to take the #2, 4, or 6 because the red line is usually quicker and serves a broader area. Just because driving and parking gets tiring, you will want to invest in a Chicago Card (google it). It saves commuters 25 cents each train or bus ride.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm seeking advice from those who have already been accepted at UChicago. I was continued about two weeks ago. I'm trying to determine what I can do to help my chances of getting in this year. I live in Chicago, work at UChicago, and would like very much to stay here.

I sent an update letter detailing recent activities to the school early last week (more volunteer work, a transcript regarding pre-reqs I took last Fall, and a new organization I'm beginning). From what I've read on SDN, it seems that I could write a letter of interest (I didn't include an interest statement in my update letter) or send another letter of recommendation. I really don't want to pester them with communication overload. I would like to address any weaknesses they may think I have. What do you guys think I could do? Any advice for this old chap?

hey ben,
does anyone live kind of on the north side? (wrigleyville)
i was wondering what the commute would be like... either on public transportation or by car.
if anyone else knows, please let me know!!!

I only know one person in my class who lived on the north side. He/she is moving in the middle of this quarter to Hyde Park. I will be honest when I say that first year you do not have a lot of time and dealing with traffic/public transportation is not the best way to relax during those brief moments. I also am only one person but I know I will stay in HP until 4th yr. There simply is not a lot of time to do the commute thing, and third year you will be leaving the hospital at 12am to return at 4:30ish with your studying, case prep, and sleep done during your surgery rotation...

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm seeking advice from those who have already been accepted at UChicago. I was continued about two weeks ago. I'm trying to determine what I can do to help my chances of getting in this year. I live in Chicago, work at UChicago, and would like very much to stay here.

I sent an update letter detailing recent activities to the school early last week (more volunteer work, a transcript regarding pre-reqs I took last Fall, and a new organization I'm beginning). From what I've read on SDN, it seems that I could write a letter of interest (I didn't include an interest statement in my update letter) or send another letter of recommendation. I really don't want to pester them with communication overload. I would like to address any weaknesses they may think I have. What do you guys think I could do? Any advice for this old chap?

Pritzkers adcomm office is one of the most upfront. I honestly would suggest you call and talk to Sylvia, Joni, David... whoever you feel most comfortable with and tell them how you honestly feel. I would also ask what they would suggest you do. Other than that it is really out of your hands, but never underestimate how much a school wants to hear that you really want to attend their school. They would much rather admit someone they know will matriculate, especially at this point in the cycle... Good luck.

Send the letter of intent/interest. Absolutely send it.

so are any other incoming m1s considering living out of HP, or on the northern side of the city?
i'm so excited for med school but i'm also REALLY psyched to live in chicago and i don't want to miss the city life because i'm trying to save some time on the commute to HP.
anyone thinking about it too?

so are any other incoming m1s considering living out of HP, or on the northern side of the city?
i'm so excited for med school but i'm also REALLY psyched to live in chicago and i don't want to miss the city life because i'm trying to save some time on the commute to HP.

I'm planning on living in the south loop if I go to UofC.

I'm pretty sure I want to live in Hyde Park initially, and then if I decide I'd prefer to live elsewhere, I'll move. Right now I'm living rather far from campus at UIUC, and I hate the hassle of commuting (although driving isn't an option here). Also, I hear most med students live in HP, and therefore that's where the study groups and social stuff will be going on.

As one current med student put it, you can either live where you work and commute to where you play, or live where you play and commute to where you work. Since I'll be going to class every day, and maybe going out once a week or so, I think it makes more sense to live in HP. However, there are other issues like safety to consider as well...

i agree that unless you really love driving every day and the hassles it often entails, it's wise to start out in hyde park. drive to the north side for your fun once or twice a week. really, i don't see the south loop as being a huge improvement over hyde park. the area isn't quite loaded with commercial stuff like the north side is. more bars and restaurants than hyde park, but they're overall more expensive. and is the time you're going to have for them really worth it? more expensive if you're renting, too.

but if you have an s.o., then i guess you gotta think about them too.

if i were to live outside hyde park, i'd take it all the way and make it worth it: lakeview or lincoln park. i personally wouldn't deal with wicker park, logan square, or ukrainian village because the interstate is going to be a mess in the near future.

I should add that the reason I am living in south loop is because my wife will be working in the north, and so it is a good compromise. But I'm very excited about living there :)

A bump for new acceptees from last week: come on in!!

Also, if you check out the cool "IM match list ranking" program currently floating around in pre-allo, note that Pritzker came out pretty strong, currently at 9th and in front of Baylor and a few other schools rated "higher" on USNews. Just goes to show Pritzker students match well...

hey out of curiosity, what are all you folks waiting on to decide? second looks? financial aid stuff? i personally found my second looks kind of sales-pitchy, but there was a good amount of free food and time to ask plenty of questions. it was also great to just hang out with the students without wearing an uncomfortable suit and the looming interviews.

so anyway, good luck with your decisions. oh yeah, and that crazy algorithm was pretty good to us huh?

The decision for me is mostly dependent upon vibes from second looks. Of course, the second looks for me are more about getting a feel for the neighborhoods/areas and meeting other students than revisiting the school itself.

I was talking to Towelie on a different thread and figured I would post my response on this thread instead, so it would be more relevant to those reading it. The question was how do I like Pritzker? I wanted to post a very honest response so here it goes.

I love Pritzker. I will say there have been problems with some of the courses, but those are being addressed. To clarify that statement, a few professors have been slacking this year for some reason and my class has found that very bothersome. We still learned what we needed to, but it could have been much easier/less frustrating. We have been very vocal about this and a few course directors have/will be changed. I think part of the reason for this has been phasing out the old curriculum and starting to implement the Pritzker initiative. New departments are taking over several of the problem courses and it should have happened this year if the initiative had been on time. Instead of waiting until for the entire initiative is ready they are just going to switch the departments next year while they finish the other changes. As for the department changes it is not a big deal. They are letting the departments that already run the second half of one course (physio) take over the first half and working to insure it will be a change in the way we are taught (better note sets, slides) not just a change in names. Other downsides, being from Florida I am tired of Winter.

As for the school I have found it disturbingly stimulating. Our anatomy is long and intense but you leave with an understanding far above many other schools. (I went to a body worlds exhibit and it seemed like everyone there was a med student, anyway it was a very informative experience about level of retention/comprehension.) The non-science courses are amazing and very very useful when you are in the hospital. I never would have though Doctor Patient Relationship (a.k.a. DPR, medical ethics) could have been so informative for seeing patients. The faculty on average is amazing and helpful. The courses were there were issues are not really important (mol cell bio). The electives are amazing if you pursue your interests. I love my class. I could not be happier. If you are interested in a dual degree or picking up a few extra classes for research/personal interest it is really easy and there is no better school to do it at (you are right on campus and all of UofC departments are really amazing, and no extra cost for electives). I will be checking this thread if any of you are on the fence or have questions please ask

what is the new curriculum going to be like?

Hi all! I'm a current MSI at Pritzker and I just wanted to say CONGRATS on getting accepted! Pritzker is an amazing school and you will not regret your decision should you choose to come here. I can't believe how much I've learned in such a short time and how much patient time I've experienced already.

What my classmates and Ben have been posting are right on - as you can see, us Pritzkerites are eager to help out our incoming colleagues because we definitely know how sucky it was to be in your shoes a year or more ago! My best advice to you is to ask questions as much as you can - via SDN or e-mail or by contacting the school. I highly recommend going to a re-visit! It's so much more relaxed, you really get to meet some great MSI's who are there to answer your questions, and it's a great way to get acquainted with the school. You will read posts here and there about Pritzker's board scores not being impressive or the tuition being really expensive but take everything with a grain of salt - just use your head and your heart to help you make a decision. Sure, not all of us kill STEP 1 because our classes aren't designed to pass some stupid test. Just look at our match list and you'll see that board scores don't mean everything - the idea here is to learn how to become a well-rounded and competent physician, not an expert test-taker. I'm not worried about it - I know I'll put in the time to do well on step 1 just like I did for the MCAT so if you can do that, you're good to go!

I'm not always on SDN but I just wanted to say that if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me through PM or even better, through my e-mail address at [email protected] - I always check that. I'm actually signed on to be a Pritzker Ambassador this summer and will be very involved in the o-week for your class so I can't wait to meet all of you! Good luck to all of you and hopefully I'll meet many of you in September! :D

Kerry - Can you expand or comment on some of the problems lost adressed above? When a second year student called me she also mentioned to me among her complaints about Pritzker some variablity in teaching quality. Unlike Lost she didn't think that the administration was receptive to feedback. She said they asked for feedback a lot but she didn't always see that feedback translated into action. I assume there is quality variablity in all medical schools but given Lost's comments I now wonder if it is more than that? Anyone care to comment? Also does this mean our class will be subject to new teachers who have never taught some of these courses before? New isn't necesarrily bad but I'm more concerned about a lack of old material/handouts/tests to go along w/ lectures - those type of things ususally take teachers a few years to get a good set of material to go along with their courses.

Kerry - Can you expand or comment on some of the problems lost adressed above? When a second year student called me she also mentioned to me among her complaints about Pritzker some variablity in teaching quality. Unlike Lost she didn't think that the administration was receptive to feedback. She said they asked for feedback a lot but she didn't always see that feedback translated into action. I assume there is quality variablity in all medical schools but given Lost's comments I now wonder if it is more than that? Anyone care to comment? Also does this mean our class will be subject to new teachers who have never taught some of these courses before? New isn't necesarrily bad but I'm more concerned about a lack of old material/handouts/tests to go along w/ lectures - those type of things ususally take teachers a few years to get a good set of material to go along with their courses.

First these will be very good changes. All of the "new" teachers will be teachers from other courses in first year or from CCP in second year. They will be from our highest rated courses or from highly regarded third or fourth year lectures. The other thing I would say is that many of the lecturers will be the same but with more oversight; the goal is more integration within the curriculum. They are trying to remove repetitive redundancies. The simple fact of the matter is that in curriculums where many professors teach for a single course, there is large variability because of research commitments/travel/faculty turnover. Every school experiences this and it guarantees you will have bad lecturers but usually only for a few days. Some courses have one lecture other have 10-20 that is also variable. And to address my comments I am referring to one of four or five courses a quarter. So a very small percentage but they have been troublesome for a while and the goal now is to increase consistency and quality.

To be honest the problems occurred in the first quarter of physiology in regards to one lecturer (the real problem was the department did not have anyone who wanted to teach the cardio portion, now I believe it will be taught by the cardiology department), molecular cell bio (they may remove this course or integrate it between immuno, genetics, biochem), and now we are having a few issues with neurobio (the new course coordinator became ill and the person who had done it for the last few years did not want to, but had to take over). The Pritzker initiative will be switching a few classes to the internal medicine department from biology/micro bio for better clinical integration. Sometimes it is better not to have clinical lecturers and other times it is much better. I think the school is getting very close to the right balance with their goals.

And all "new" teachers have taught that is how you become faculty. To be honest the problem is often that someone has taught something too long and has not updated their notes, or they just keep adding to them and never revise the old protions.

I wanted to hit a few more points. Part of the problem with the three courses has been testing inconstancy. Cell bio has changed its test style four times in four years. Second, as a teacher I agree you become more consistent and efficient as time goes on but you generally sit down and put all of the material you will cover in your notes the first time. From there you edit and remove stuff to save time. The anatomy course was one of the worst rated four years ago, since Dr. Ross has taken over last year the course is at 4.9/5.0.

Unlike Lost she didn't think that the administration was receptive to feedback. She said they asked for feedback a lot but she didn't always see that feedback translated into action.

To be completely honest with you, this is the first time I've ever heard a complaint to that effect. In my experience, both the faculty and administrators have been absolutely receptive to feedback, suggestions, and complaints that students may have, whether it's big stuff related to testing formats, course schedules, or simply not liking the way someone teaches, or even small things like laser pointers dying all the time, microphones getting all funky, or the temperature of the lecture rooms. All of those things came up during my first two years, and all of them were addressed promptly and thoroughly.

Of course, there will be instances when faculty and administrators may not agree on something regarding their course, but in my experience things like this were few and far between; typically it gets worked out for the benefit of the students. Also, some issues can be fixed right away, and others are more long term; obviously, if one isn't entirely happy with the structure of a given course, that's not as easily fixable as, say, the time of day of the final (which, again, was an issue during my first year and was changed on the spot to accommodate the students). I guess each issue is different depending on how you look at it and what the circumstances are, but I actually have found that this particular aspect has been one of the major strengths of Pritzker as opposed to anything remotely resembling a weakness.

(Yo Kerry.)