University of British Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone who's thinking about taking electives for first year, the list of pharmacy-approved elective courses was updated as of yesterday: http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/sites/default/files/u15/2011W%20Pharmacy%20Electives.pdf
Not much of a change..just a few courses taken out here and there and some of the PHAR courses have the year restrictions specified

Is it just me or is it just a whopping ONE course that first years can take on that list? i tried looking at the ones that don't specifically mention year restrictions on the SSC and it looks like they still do require upper year status.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just me or is it just a whopping ONE course that first years can take on that list? i tried looking at the ones that don't specifically mention year restrictions on the SSC and it looks like they still do require upper year status.

Ya and too bad it conflicts with PHAR 299 in all STT. I wanted to take it to meet my PHAR aproved-elective. BTW are u going with UBC?

Ya and too bad it conflicts with PHAR 299 in all STT. I wanted to take it to meet my PHAR aproved-elective. BTW are u going with UBC?

It's going to be updated on the SSC tomorrow, to be scheduled before PHAR299.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's this course you guys are talking about?

I see plenty of courses on there that can be taken in first year pharmacy.

8 seats available. I guess you can bounce ideas and work together. But course decription is "individual assignments". Love to take it though and get my PHAR elective done.

What's this course you guys are talking about?

I see plenty of courses on there that can be taken in first year pharmacy.
Really where? You must be thinking of Pharm-aproved electives. We are talking about PHAR elective.

8 seats available. I guess you can bounce ideas and work together. But course decription is "individual assignments". Love to take it though and get my PHAR elective done.

Emailed Angela about this... this is what she had to say [course description really isn't reflective of what you're really doing :)]:

This course is a pilot project and all pilot projects are set up in the faculty as
directed study courses. This is a community service learning (CSL) course that
aligns with UBC's Place in Promise and our Faculty goals. The CSL will have
specific objectives with scholarly activities around ethics and diversity. This is
not a bench research or clinical research activity,if this is what you are looking
for. You will be asked to write a couple of papers, present your CSL and provide
feedback on what you have learnt, how CSL benefits your future practice as a
pharmacist, and the course objectives.

Emailed Angela about this... this is what she had to say [course description really isn't reflective of what you're really doing :)]:

This course is a pilot project and all pilot projects are set up in the faculty as
directed study courses. This is a community service learning (CSL) course that
aligns with UBC's Place in Promise and our Faculty goals. The CSL will have
specific objectives with scholarly activities around ethics and diversity. This is
not a bench research or clinical research activity,if this is what you are looking
for. You will be asked to write a couple of papers, present your CSL and provide
feedback on what you have learnt, how CSL benefits your future practice as a
pharmacist, and the course objectives.

Sounds great. I'm Game for this course.

I wouldn't worry to much if you guys can't get the PHAR elective done in first year. The reason they are generally restricted to third and fourth year is that most of the courses require the background knowledge that you will gain from 2nd and 3rd year required pharmacy courses. For example, PHAR 440 Pain Research and Therapy, which I will be taking in the fall, requires the knowledge from third year courses such as pharmacology and therapeutics where you will learn about acute and chronic pain. Another example is PHAR 408 Clinical Pharmacokinetics, which requires the knowledge from the 2nd year required pharmacokinetics course. Without having the background knowledge from other PHAR courses, these courses would be significantly more difficult to follow. Plus, if you only require just the one PHAR elective and are done all the other electives, you will probably be bored come fourth year when there are only two required lecture courses (along with practicums in the opposite term). There are alot of really awesome PHAR elective courses that are available in third and fourth years, so it might be worth waiting. But if you really just want to get it done in first year, fair enough.

Haha, I still haven't decided yet. I am giving myself one more weekend to decide (sadly this means that I will most likely lose a deposit on one school), but I just couldn't handle the pressure of making a decision that will affect the next four years of my life in just one week. As such, I am still playing both fields and trying to prepare for registration as well as I can.

I wouldn't worry to much if you guys can't get the PHAR elective done in first year. The reason they are generally restricted to third and fourth year is that most of the courses require the background knowledge that you will gain from 2nd and 3rd year required pharmacy courses. For example, PHAR 440 Pain Research and Therapy, which I will be taking in the fall, requires the knowledge from third year courses such as pharmacology and therapeutics where you will learn about acute and chronic pain. Another example is PHAR 408 Clinical Pharmacokinetics, which requires the knowledge from the 2nd year required pharmacokinetics course. Without having the background knowledge from other PHAR courses, these courses would be significantly more difficult to follow. Plus, if you only require just the one PHAR elective and are done all the other electives, you will probably be bored come fourth year when there are only two required lecture courses (along with practicums in the opposite term). There are alot of really awesome PHAR elective courses that are available in third and fourth years, so it might be worth waiting. But if you really just want to get it done in first year, fair enough.

I have to agree that a lot of the PHAR electives look awesome. It's actually too bad that MORE PHAR electives aren't a requirement. Or maybe I am just a nerd.

I have to agree that a lot of the PHAR electives look awesome. It's actually too bad that MORE PHAR electives aren't a requirement. Or maybe I am just a nerd.

I agree! I think the PHAR electives are most useful anyways. To me, most of the other pharmacy-approved electives just seem like a waste of time. I had the non-pharm electives done before I entered the program but had to do the pharm-approved and PHAR elective. But I ended up just taking three PHAR electives and only one pharm-approved because none of them really interested me. You could always take a couple extra courses just to broaden your knowledge! (Of course, it does come at a price lol)

I agree! I think the PHAR electives are most useful anyways. To me, most of the other pharmacy-approved electives just seem like a waste of time. I had the non-pharm electives done before I entered the program but had to do the pharm-approved and PHAR elective. But I ended up just taking three PHAR electives and only one pharm-approved because none of them really interested me. You could always take a couple extra courses just to broaden your knowledge! (Of course, it does come at a price lol)

Yeah, one of my considerations if I do choose UBC over U of A is that I can save money potentially by NOT taking any extra courses and thus justify the higher living expenses of Vancovuer. Since I am entering with a degree, I have all of my pharmacy approved and non-pharmacy electives taken care of, aside from the PHAR one. However, due to the fact that I have so many exemptions this year, I wouldn't technically be considered a full time student which would make me unable to get a student loan this year (not a huge deal, but could be useful)... If I took one PHAR-elective, I might just creep past the requirement for full time enrollment, so yeah, tough call.

What with these 1 credit courses? Are they supposed be easier? Less work? Short classes?

Please explain

Members don't see this ad :)

Seconded. Phar 408 is always very popular and hard to get in, but I highly recommend taking that one, comes in really useful for the hospital rotation. There were also some pharmacokinetic questions on the licensing exams and having that knowledge fresh in your mind helps a lot.........

Phar 440 is a good course. Wish it had more clinical therapeutics and less filler though.

Has anyone been able to officially "switch" into pharmacy on SSC?

When I use the "switch program" option, I get my registration time but I'm still in my current program.

Can we only switch once our registration opens?

Has anyone been able to officially "switch" into pharmacy on SSC?

When I use the "switch program" option, I get my registration time but I'm still in my current program.

Can we only switch once our registration opens?

Same issue. I think it is normal since a few people on the facebook group have that problem too. :eek:

What with these 1 credit courses? Are they supposed be easier? Less work? Short classes?

Please explain

Basically, some of the courses within the program are "integrated" in 2nd and 3rd year. What this means is that there are 4 different courses (ex in 2nd year being phar 341,351,361,371 and 342,352,362) which have the same timeblock throughout the semester and on any day you may be getting a lecture from any one of these courses during that timeblock. The reason for this is that these classes are generally taught by disease state and you will be taught about the pathophysiology, pharmacology, therapeutics and any OTC medications of each disease state. So they tie together nicely. You will still write seperate exams for each course and get a seperate mark for each course. Hopefully this explanation makes sense, if not, wait till 2nd year and you will find out then :p.

Pathophysiology and OTC (non-prescription) medications is only 1 credit in each term (2 credits total 2nd year, 2 credits total third year). There will only roughly 10-12 lecture hours for these courses (hence why they are 1 credit) but they will be spread over an entire semester. Also, because they are only one credit, you will write a final worth 100%. Some students get pretty worked up about this, but really it means a lot less work throughout the semester since you can just study for one final instead of having midterms and other assignments. The average for these 1 credit courses is usually well over 80%, so don't worry too much about them.

There is also a 1 credit course in first year but this one is taught over one month with a final in February (just to warn you). The final isn't too difficult though.

If I decide not to take any pharm approved electives in first year....would you say that's a bad idea since year 2+ schedules are more jampacked?

Like others here have said there are only a few pharm approved electives that we can take so I'm wondering if I should just take it in the next couple years...

If I decide not to take any pharm approved electives in first year....would you say that's a bad idea since year 2+ schedules are more jampacked?

Like others here have said there are only a few pharm approved electives that we can take so I'm wondering if I should just take it in the next couple years...

How many do you need? There is room to take 3 electives in fourth year, so if you need any less than that you might as well wait it out. If you need all 6 then I would recommend taking 1 or 2 in first year.

Is there any room for electives in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year? I've only done one year of undergrad so my schedule for 1st year is quite full already without any electives :(

Is there any room for electives in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year? I've only done one year of undergrad so my schedule for 1st year is quite full already without any electives :(

Yes, there is. It'll be tight though. DO NOT leave all your electives until 3rd and 4th year. Try to get some done sooner rather than later, and keep in mind you can take some electives in the summer between 1st and 2nd year. You might be able to take some during the summer between 2nd and 3rd year, but you will have to work around your SPEP rotation (and you cannot take a summer course if it overlaps with SPEP). Also keep in mind that you will only be on campus for ONE semester during 4th year, so all elective courses may not be available to you depending on which semester you are on campus. Most students only take the PHAR elective in 4th year, having completed the other electives in 1/2/3rd year.

Of course the curriculum gets more intense as you move up, so it's best to take electives early on, or spread them out, so that your work load isn't too heavy in upper years.

Again, my advice is to complete your electives earlier, and spread them out (including over the summer if necessary) to ease your work load/allow you to focus on PHAR courses. (this is just my opinion/personal experience; other pharmacy students may disagree).

There are lots of pharm-approved electives you can take in first year. Only 3 of the required 12 credits of pharm-approved electives need to be a an actual "PHAR" class.

Hey, question for those who are getting exemptions for courses not taken at UBC--I got an exemption from BIOL 112/MICB 201 last week, but still probably need to register in MICB 202 (I highly doubt the prof is gonna grant me one, she seems very particular). The SSC says that I lack the prereq for MICB 202 though. So I know that Margaret was contact about my exemption, but who do I contact to get the pre-req waived on the SSC so I can register?

Also--I have noticed that UBC tends to organize their courses differently. Where I did my undergrad, most science courses had labs and you had to enrol in the lab simultaneously with your lecture... it looks like with UBC you can just enrol in certain science courses separately from the laboratory component. So maybe I am just being dumb and over thinking it, but I haven't read anything about a lab being associated with ANAT 390 or MICB 202. Is that accurate? ARe they just lecture based?

Hey, question for those who are getting exemptions for courses not taken at UBC--I got an exemption from BIOL 112/MICB 201 last week, but still probably need to register in MICB 202 (I highly doubt the prof is gonna grant me one, she seems very particular). The SSC says that I lack the prereq for MICB 202 though. So I know that Margaret was contact about my exemption, but who do I contact to get the pre-req waived on the SSC so I can register?

Also--I have noticed that UBC tends to organize their courses differently. Where I did my undergrad, most science courses had labs and you had to enrol in the lab simultaneously with your lecture... it looks like with UBC you can just enrol in certain science courses separately from the laboratory component. So maybe I am just being dumb and over thinking it, but I haven't read anything about a lab being associated with ANAT 390 or MICB 202. Is that accurate? ARe they just lecture based?

Yeah, they're purely lecture based. If there's a lab component, SSC will remind you to register in a lab right when you registered or added to worklist, the lecture component.

As for getting a pre-req waived, you probably need to contact the MICB 202 prof who will (hopefully) give the OK to Science Undergraduate Services to let you register in 202.

Does anyone know if there is a minimum of credits you have to finish for first year pharmacy? I'm a first year student and I havent taken organic chemistry yet, and since thats a pre-req for PHYL 301, i wont be able to take it for the first year of pharmacy. I also took MICB 202 already, so with everything else I'll only have 25 credits this coming year and I was wondering if that would be ok. If anyone knows anything about this I'd really appreciate it if you could share! Thanks :)

Do all STT's have the same professors for each class?

Yes. For the majority of classes, the entire class will be together (in the same room at the same time) with the same prof. For the labs and CAPS (problem based learning class), you have the same prof, but depending on your day/STT, you will have different tutors/lab assistants. The only difference between STTs is the labs and CAPS time/day, but everything else is same.

Does anyone know if there is a minimum of credits you have to finish for first year pharmacy? I'm a first year student and I havent taken organic chemistry yet, and since thats a pre-req for PHYL 301, i wont be able to take it for the first year of pharmacy. I also took MICB 202 already, so with everything else I'll only have 25 credits this coming year and I was wondering if that would be ok. If anyone knows anything about this I'd really appreciate it if you could share! Thanks :)

If you're in pharm you can take 233 and phyl 301 at the same time so don't worry about it.

Thanks UBCmicrobi! I will see if I can take any electives during the summer or squeeze some in second year.

Does BIOL 112 have a tutorial session that we also need to register for? I don't see any on SSC but in the admission email it says "The following BIOL 112 lecture section has reserved seats: Sec 102 (MWF 12:00-13:00) - be sure to also register in a tutorial section." Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks UBCmicrobi! I will see if I can take any electives during the summer or squeeze some in second year.

Does BIOL 112 have a tutorial session that we also need to register for? I don't see any on SSC but in the admission email it says "The following BIOL 112 lecture section has reserved seats: Sec 102 (MWF 12:00-13:00) - be sure to also register in a tutorial section." Can anyone shed light on this?

I emailed the advisor, she said they are not having tutorials this year

Are you able to register for that section though? It says that it is only available through STT and there are no restricted seats remaining

I emailed the advisor, she said they are not having tutorials this year

Are you able to register for that section though? It says that it is only available through STT and there are no restricted seats remaining

Thanks Farmasy! I was able to register for the lecture section but I had to email Ms. Smith for that.

Really? You emailed her to manually add you to the course or how?

Which section did she add you to

She added me to the 102 section which is the one that has reserved seats for pharmacy students (also stated in the admission email attachment)

I talked to Ms. Smith and she gave me an exemption for BIOL 112. My registration date isn't until tomorrow, but when I test my registration it tells me that I don't have the pre-req for MICB 202. Since Dr. Kion won't consider giving exemptions until September and based on my e-mails with her so far, I think that the chances of getting one from her are slim, I wanna register in it right away. I asked her if she could tell the SSC to allow me to register but she hasn't responded yet. How long do i wait before I start to get annoyed and bother her again before all the good sections are taken?

Also, when i test ANAT 390 it gives me the message " WARNING: You do not appear to meet the pre-requisite(s) for this course. Pre-requisites are:- One of BIOL 121, SCIE 001. Please contact your faculty or department advisor to discuss your registration in this course. The section can be added successfully." So that sounds like I shouldn't have a problem registering for the course, but should I be worried about being booted from the course after the fact if the people who manage registration go through the course and see that I don't have credit for those courses (since I am an OOP degree holder) or will they see that I am in the BSCP program and be fine with it?

Right now I only would be registering in 18 credits (unless i decide to take an option) which I don't even think makes me qualified as a full time student for the program, so I am sort of wondering the same thing. I got exemptions from a lot of courses so I think it would be good to just take a really slack first year and work a bit more so I can save money. The only options I need are the PHAR one and I wouldn't mind taking some of the higher level ones in later years, so I don't know if that is a good strategy or not.

Also, can any current pharm students comment on the ability to work part time during 2nd and 3rd year? I know the course load is supposed to be more intense but can it be done?!

I talked to Ms. Smith and she gave me an exemption for BIOL 112. My registration date isn't until tomorrow, but when I test my registration it tells me that I don't have the pre-req for MICB 202. Since Dr. Kion won't consider giving exemptions until September and based on my e-mails with her so far, I think that the chances of getting one from her are slim, I wanna register in it right away. I asked her if she could tell the SSC to allow me to register but she hasn't responded yet. How long do i wait before I start to get annoyed and bother her again before all the good sections are taken?

Also, when i test ANAT 390 it gives me the message " WARNING: You do not appear to meet the pre-requisite(s) for this course. Pre-requisites are:- One of BIOL 121, SCIE 001. Please contact your faculty or department advisor to discuss your registration in this course. The section can be added successfully." So that sounds like I shouldn't have a problem registering for the course, but should I be worried about being booted from the course after the fact if the people who manage registration go through the course and see that I don't have credit for those courses (since I am an OOP degree holder) or will they see that I am in the BSCP program and be fine with it?
I think you should wait until your actual registration date and try to register for MICB 202. When you then in fact can't, email Dr. Kion to be manually added to the section.
I had the same problem with ANAT 390 but I was able to register for the section today, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

lllix -

Re: Kion is not the *ahem* friendliest of profs, so I wouldn't hold your breath....you might be SOL.

Re: ANAT, you should be fine. If you are in Pharmacy, they won't boot you out.

Re: working part time in 2nd/3rd year, yes it is certainly possible. Many students work once a week during the school year, some a little more, and lots don't work at all (or only work during the summer). It really depends on the person, your course load, your priorities and other circumstances (ie finances, other responsibilities outside of school etc). While working is possible, school should be your #1 priority. It's also really important to have a flexible job so that you can take time off during exams.

So, have you decided to go with UBC or are you still considering both UBC and U of A?

lllix -

Re: Kion is not the *ahem* friendliest of profs, so I wouldn't hold your breath....you might be SOL.

Re: ANAT, you should be fine. If you are in Pharmacy, they won't boot you out.

Re: working part time in 2nd/3rd year, yes it is certainly possible. Many students work once a week during the school year, some a little more, and lots don't work at all (or only work during the summer). It really depends on the person, your course load, your priorities and other circumstances (ie finances, other responsibilities outside of school etc). While working is possible, school should be your #1 priority. It's also really important to have a flexible job so that you can take time off during exams.

So, have you decided to go with UBC or are you still considering both UBC and U of A?

Yeah, my interactions with Kion, though limited, have not exactly been pleasant. Thus why I have given up hopes of an exemption; however, she doesn't have the right to ignore my requests to be manually added to the MICB 202 section that I want since I DO have an exemption from the pre-requisites... I am debating how to tactfully handle it...

I think I am leaning towards UBC. It definitely means I have to jump a few more hurdles, especially if I wanna go back to Alberta when I am done, but I think I could definitely use a change in scenery for a while. I haven't officially paid my registration deposit yet for UBC, but have to before I can register tomorrow, so let's just say it is highly likely that I will be going to UBC next year!

Thanks for the help, UBC microbi!

I got a place on campus (5 minutes walk from the new pharmacy building) and now I'm trying to figure out my timetable. My STT preference go as follows I=C>D>G. Aside from the STT I'm only taking MICR 202, both ANAT, and PHYL 301. I got some exemptions obv.

What's the best STT if I want to work part time. And also are there lots of jobs on campus for students and are they easy to get? I kind of want to work at the UBC golf course doing anything. Could possibly get deals on golf :laugh:.

I got a place on campus (5 minutes walk from the new pharmacy building) and now I'm trying to figure out my timetable. My STT preference go as follows I=C>D>G. Aside from the STT I'm only taking MICR 202, both ANAT, and PHYL 301. I got some exemptions obv.

What's the best STT if I want to work part time. And also are there lots of jobs on campus for students and are they easy to get? I kind of want to work at the UBC golf course doing anything. Could possibly get deals on golf :laugh:.

I was also considering finding a job on campus too. It would be great to do something pharmacy related, but since I have been doing that for so many years already, my main concern is getting something flexible and close to school. Let me know if you get any good leads!

Also, is the place you found in residence or one of the other housing options that is at UBC? If it's the latter, were the prices reasonable?

Am I just crazy or is it still scheduled to overlap with PHAR 299? I just tried it out in the SSC, but maybe I am just challenged.

Am I just crazy or is it still scheduled to overlap with PHAR 299? I just tried it out in the SSC, but maybe I am just challenged.

ES is slow at this stuff. If you want, you can register for the WL and wait to be added to the main course.

I was also considering finding a job on campus too. It would be great to do something pharmacy related, but since I have been doing that for so many years already, my main concern is getting something flexible and close to school. Let me know if you get any good leads!

Also, is the place you found in residence or one of the other housing options that is at UBC? If it's the latter, were the prices reasonable?

It's one of the other options. $1100 but I'm renting it with my gf. It's a great location for part time work and study groups.

Concering the PHAR elective that overlaps the 299 is not really updated. I wanted to take it. I think its interesting.

My advice to you would be to retake the PCAT and to get the other parts of your application stronger -- ie. pharmacy volunteer, work experience, which then lead to stronger reference letters and personal statements. The thing about UBC that I really appreciate, is that they DO look further than the #'s. They're interested in your entire person. I know this because I got accepted this year and my GPA was far, far, far from stellar. Best of luck next go-around.

Turns out what really bombed my application was the interview. I was placed in the 300s/360!

Does anyone have any tips for the interview? What should I be thinking in that 2 minutes of time after reading the question on the door?? I tried answering by starting with a statement, then backing the statement up with my previous experiences. That didn't seem to work too well for me this time though :(

Where can we see the book lists for each course, are they available now or will they be released later

Also, how do final exams work at UBC....could we see the schedule now?

Also, how do final exams work at UBC....could we see the schedule now?

lol no. Exams are in Dec/April, exam schedule will be posted in mid-late Nov/March (subject to change of course). What else do you want to know about how it "works"?

Not sure when course book list is released, but check the UBC Bookstore site (apparently they are changing its name to UBC Central or some such nonsense).