University of British Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's one of the other options. $1100 but I'm renting it with my gf. It's a great location for part time work and study groups.

Concering the PHAR elective that overlaps the 299 is not really updated. I wanted to take it. I think its interesting.

The cheapest one bedroom "other housing" option i could find was the granite terrace apts which is $1550/month... do you guys know any safe and cheap places to rent a one bedroom apartment? The cheapest i could find close to UBC was $1400 which is still too expensive considering it doesnt include electricity, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

It's one of the other options. $1100 but I'm renting it with my gf. It's a great location for part time work and study groups.

Concering the PHAR elective that overlaps the 299 is not really updated. I wanted to take it. I think its interesting.

$1100? Is it just a single room then, because that is not bad at all. If it was a double bedroom that would be even better because I could get a room mate. Do you know if there were any more availabilities? (starting to freak out slightly because it took her so long to decide on a school that she had to put house hunting on hold)

I was also considering finding a job on campus too. It would be great to do something pharmacy related, but since I have been doing that for so many years already, my main concern is getting something flexible and close to school. Let me know if you get any good leads!

I'd say your best bet for an on campus job it to check out the work study program. They have decent pay $14 - $18/h depending on the job and they tend to work around you schedule. There are always a few pharmacy related jobs available but they go fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say your best bet for an on campus job it to check out the work study program. They have decent pay $14 - $18/h depending on the job and they tend to work around you schedule. There are always a few pharmacy related jobs available but they go fast.

Thanks for the tip! I will keep my eyes posted, although I think i read something about a max of ten hours per week? I don't intend on overdoing it, but depending on how light my course load is, i could accomodate a few more hours than that. Hmmm... But I might also be crazy. those wages sound pretty good too and are definitely a lot higher than I have been getting as a pharm assistant over here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip! I will keep my eyes posted, although I think i read something about a max of ten hours per week? I don't intend on overdoing it, but depending on how light my course load is, i could accomodate a few more hours than that. Hmmm... But I might also be crazy. those wages sound pretty good too and are definitely a lot higher than I have been getting as a pharm assistant over here.

That's because generally on-campus jobs pay a lot more. If not pharmacy related, try going into some research assistant positions or library positions. Those aren't bad either from what I've heard.

That's because generally on-campus jobs pay a lot more. If not pharmacy related, try going into some research assistant positions or library positions. Those aren't bad either from what I've heard.

Good call. Thanks for the tip.

Speaking of working in BC and me being a clueless Albertan. I have a question about HST.... I thought I read somewhere that you can get a return on your HST just like you can with GST. Is this true? Because I could really use all the money back i can get =)

Turns out what really bombed my application was the interview. I was placed in the 300s/360!

Does anyone have any tips for the interview? What should I be thinking in that 2 minutes of time after reading the question on the door?? I tried answering by starting with a statement, then backing the statement up with my previous experiences. That didn't seem to work too well for me this time though :(

One of the things I did for the interview (I got in) was to consider both sides of the situation. Of course, this only applies to the situational/ethical related questions, and I think it is a really good thing to demonstrate that you fairly weigh both sides before making your decision. (Sorry if this is too vague)

Personal experiences are really awesome, IMO, because they really set you apart from other candidates and makes it easier for your interviewer to remember you. You have to make sure that your personal experience is specific enough; don't just say you "volunteered at a pharmacy", try talking about the instance where you made close friends with a patient, etc... Stuff like that.

I think what really got me through my interview was my enthusiasm towards the interview AND the question. Not only that, but I tried to keep up my enthusiasm while I was answering the question (I payed attention to my tone of voice). I also tried to smile while I was talking, and come out as a cheerful and energetic person... hehehe... Almost all the interviewers ended up smiling a lot, and I think they really got a good look into my personality.

But these are all just my opinions, maybe your answers were already top-notch, and you were brimming with confidence as well; there could be a lot of other factors involved. Look back on your interview and find ways you could have come out as a better applicant, both by how you present yourself to the interviewer, and by the content of your answer. :)

Agreed. Try to apply to multiple positions as well, you'll be rejected many, many times (or maybe that's just me xD). Combined, the libraries tend to hire 100+ people, while most individual research positions only hire 1 or 2 candidates.

Speaking of working in BC and me being a clueless Albertan. I have a question about HST.... I thought I read somewhere that you can get a return on your HST just like you can with GST. Is this true? Because I could really use all the money back i can get =)

Yep, we're "currently" get HST credit, at least for lower income earners. Around $150 every 4 months. However, based on predicted polls, the HST will be revoked in BC after results are tallied and announced, so we'll be going back to the GST/PST credit, which is a lot less money. Apply via your yearly income tax return.

Agreed. Try to apply to multiple positions as well, you'll be rejected many, many times (or maybe that's just me xD). Combined, the libraries tend to hire 100+ people, while most individual research positions only hire 1 or 2 candidates.

Where do we go to apply to these work study programs? Please guide me there if possible. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not positive on this, but I don't think OOP students get HST rebates unless you are working in BC and filing a BC return. I could be wrong though?

Is it just me or does it still conflict with PHAR 299 (2:30-3:30)? And PHAR453 is scheduled 2-4. I got and email saying they have rescheduled it for 1-3 which still conflicts?!!>?

I'm confused....

Has anyone finished off a biol degree while in pharmacy? I am almost finished my Biol degree and I noticed that on the UBC ssc I am registered in both Biology courses and Pharmacy courses.... didn't even know that was possible since they are different programs. The lady at the Science centre said that it may be possible ( because by the time I finished my Pharmacy degree I'd be over the maximum 7 years to finish my degree) but she also said we can't take courses in both degrees at once. So I'm confused why I'm able to be registered in both upper-year Biology courses and Pharmacy courses at the same time.

Is it just me or does it still conflict with PHAR 299 (2:30-3:30)? And PHAR453 is scheduled 2-4. I got and email saying they have rescheduled it for 1-3 which still conflicts?!!>?

I'm confused....

Haha, it's fine. I'm sure they'll fix it eventually, not much of a problem now since we're officially registered in it.

I'm confused....

There doesn't seem to be any issues now. PHAR453 goes from 1-3 and 299, 3-4.

Not sure if I should take this elective though, since the other upper level ones look so much better. But if I don't, I only have 15 credits for the entire year while still going to school 4/3 days/wk. What a pickle.

Wow I completely forgot to register into MICB 202 and the one that doesnt conflict with PHAR 453B- is full. IT says 20 remaining seats yet I cant register into it. Wtf. Anybody know the reason?

^I think it says those are restricted to 2nd year students

Is there a limited number of parking passes at UBC or are they readily available to anyone who needs one?

Wow I completely forgot to register into MICB 202 and the one that doesnt conflict with PHAR 453B- is full. IT says 20 remaining seats yet I cant register into it. Wtf. Anybody know the reason?

I emailed the prof and she said that they are working on making a wait list..for pharm students i think. some time today. kind of silly that they didnt reserve seats for phar studs :confused:

I emailed the prof and she said that they are working on making a wait list..for pharm students i think. some time today. kind of silly that they didnt reserve seats for phar studs :confused:

Can u give me the profs name or email please? You can pm me if u want keep it confidential

Can u give me the profs name or email please? You can pm me if u want keep it confidential

You can find the email for all the profs for each class were taking on the First Year Registration package she emailed us a few weeks ago. It was one of the word documents along with the immunization and application and elective documents. i believe for microb 202 it was [email protected]

I still dont see a waitlist though and seats are filling up.
If you tells you something different than what she told me about a waitlist than please post asap! thanks.

You can find the email for all the profs for each class were taking on the First Year Registration package she emailed us a few weeks ago. It was one of the word documents along with the immunization and application and elective documents. i believe for microb 202 it was [email protected]

I still dont see a waitlist though and seats are filling up.
If you tells you something different than what she told me about a waitlist than please post asap! thanks.

No, you are correct. A WL has been created, it's just not visible to students... yet. The room can hold 325 students, so there will still be space in the lecture hall even if all the remaining seats are filled up.

When it is, you'll be able to register at the following link (60 seats available):
https://courses.students.ubc.ca/cs/...jareas&req=5&dept=MICB&course=202&section=WL1

Anybody for intramurals soccer or basketball? If interested post here or pm me:thumbup:. For guys who have played either sports and are good we can join the mens elite as "Pharm boys". Or we can have a coed team for either sports at any level. Good way to get to know people and enjoy the program.:) Here's a link for the leauges/events and such for those interested.
http://www.rec.ubc.ca/leagues.cfm

Last edited:
Anybody for intramurals soccer or basketball? If interested post here or pm me:thumbup:. For guys who have played either sports and are good we can join the mens elite as "Pharm boys". Or we can have a coed team for either sports at any level. Good way to get to know people and enjoy the program.:) Here's a link for the leauges/events and such for those interested.

I am totally down with playing pretty much any intramural sport as long as someone has the patience to put up with my questionable hand eye coordination and general lack of athletic ability!

My feet are stupid, but I can play ball, let's do it!

I am 100% down for basketball on any level, co-ed or just men. :cool:
Any sorta team name with "Pharm" in it sounds awesome!!!:smuggrin:

Hi Everyone!

For those of you that got credit for non-ubc courses I was wondering how you asked the profs for permission. Did you attach a syllabus, transcript etc? I received automatic exemption for some courses but was also hoping to get credit for MICB201 as well.

Hi Everyone!

For those of you that got credit for non-ubc courses I was wondering how you asked the profs for permission. Did you attach a syllabus, transcript etc? I received automatic exemption for some courses but was also hoping to get credit for MICB201 as well.

The contact for BIOL 112/MICB 201 is Ms. Smith. Her email address is on one of the documents attached to the admissions letter. Just send her a copy of your transcript and the syllabus of the course you think fits the bill and ask her if it qualifies for an exemption. She's pretty nice based on my correspondance with her.

http://www.rec.ubc.ca/leagues.cfm[/QUOT

Im down for bball, when do we register?

I figured you guys would choose Volleyball or soccer but bball is good. So for bball their structure of competition is as follows:
http://www.rec.ubc.ca/leagues/competitionstructure/competitionstructure.pdf

Here are some important dates: ie. registration deadline etc.
http://www.rec.ubc.ca/leagues/imptdates.cfm?ActID=2&path=bball&term=1

And here is general league overview:
http://www.rec.ubc.ca/leagues/page.cfm?filename=overview&ActID=2&path=bball&term=1

So for all you ballers:), what level of competition would you like to be in? I can play ball but not good enough to be in the NBA or on UBC mens team. Can play soccer for UBC mens team but it requires too much commitment. Love to have a team in soccer too. :thumbup: BTW love the enthusiasm...need more people though

I figured you guys would choose Volleyball or soccer but bball is good. So for bball their structure of competition is as follows:
http://www.rec.ubc.ca/leagues/competitionstructure/competitionstructure.pdf

Here are some important dates: ie. registration deadline etc.
http://www.rec.ubc.ca/leagues/imptdates.cfm?ActID=2&path=bball&term=1

And here is general league overview:
http://www.rec.ubc.ca/leagues/page.cfm?filename=overview&ActID=2&path=bball&term=1

So for all you ballers:), what level of competition would you like to be in? I can play ball but not good enough to be in the NBA or on UBC mens team. Can play soccer for UBC mens team but it requires too much commitment. Love to have a team in soccer too. :thumbup: BTW love the enthusiasm...need more people though

I played high school ball but that was many years ago and would rather play teir 1. I can play shooting or point guard.

How many players do we have? It says we need at least 8.

if we want to get a hold of more people we could start asking other people on the facebook group if they want to start sports teams?

or we could just form the "UBC Pharm SDN Ballers Team"

For all the current pharmacy students: are the notes for the lectures mostly textbook-based, or did you find yourself printing out a lot of lecture notes from Vista? Or did you just take notes on your laptop?

For all the current pharmacy students: are the notes for the lectures mostly textbook-based, or did you find yourself printing out a lot of lecture notes from Vista? Or did you just take notes on your laptop?

For the PHAR classes, profs bring a print out of their power point slides to each class, and there is room to jot down extra notes (note that you do pay a fee for this privilege). The power point slides are then posted on Vista if you need to print an extra copy. If you choose to bring a laptop to take extra notes, please have a little respect for your peers and professors and use your laptop for note taking only (I get sick of watching the jackass a couple rows ahead of me watching **** on youtube), but for the most part a laptop is really not necessary. [also note that this applies to the PHAR classes, not sure what the other classes are like]. But mostly the PHAR classes are notes-based, not textbook-based. Hope that helps :)

For the PHAR classes, profs bring a print out of their power point slides to each class, and there is room to jot down extra notes (note that you do pay a fee for this privilege). The power point slides are then posted on Vista if you need to print an extra copy. If you choose to bring a laptop to take extra notes, please have a little respect for your peers and professors and use your laptop for note taking only (I get sick of watching the jackass a couple rows ahead of me watching **** on youtube), but for the most part a laptop is really not necessary. [also note that this applies to the PHAR classes, not sure what the other classes are like]. But mostly the PHAR classes are notes-based, not textbook-based. Hope that helps :)

Seriously? They bring a printed copy for the entire class? That sounds like pampering to me. After four years of wrestling with printers, I am perfectly fine with paying someone else to supply me for a while.

Seriously? They bring a printed copy for the entire class? That sounds like pampering to me. After four years of wrestling with printers, I am perfectly fine with paying someone else to supply me for a while.

Ya it's pretty awesome to get a notes handout for every class!! The fee is pretty small, so definitely worth it. Some profs will bring the notes themselves, others will ask for 1 or 2 volunteers to pick up the lecture note from the copy room in the Pharm building. The only problem is that EVERY lecture people hoard notes (for their friends who are skipping, or leave a pile where no one can access them) and then 5 mins into lecture people have to interrupt the prof to ask where the extra hand outs are. It is SOO aggravating!! Break the hoarding cycle class of 2015!!

it doesn't matter if you fail it
chemistry is under the faculty of science, so you apply with science

it doesn't matter if you fail it
chemistry is under the faculty of science, so you apply with science
Thanks for the reply. I still have my doubts though considering your rich history of trolling.

Ya it's pretty awesome to get a notes handout for every class!! The fee is pretty small, so definitely worth it. Some profs will bring the notes themselves, others will ask for 1 or 2 volunteers to pick up the lecture note from the copy room in the Pharm building. The only problem is that EVERY lecture people hoard notes (for their friends who are skipping, or leave a pile where no one can access them) and then 5 mins into lecture people have to interrupt the prof to ask where the extra hand outs are. It is SOO aggravating!! Break the hoarding cycle class of 2015!!

Ahh, oh I hate people like that.

Also, my housing situation is sorted! Found a sweet shoebox of a room in kits with really awesome landlords though.

And another question--how are the profs/TAs with students missing a day? I am thinking about going home in November to attend my convocation for my BioSci degree (Nov. 10) and since that is the Thursday before the Remembrance Day holiday on Friday, I figured that I would see if I could get away with missing school on Thursday so I could fly home and attend. On Thursdays it looks like my timetable has Phar 201 and 202 and i think one of those is a tutorial/lab (202 alternates right?). Not sure what the courseload is like in November and if the profs would feel generous enough to let me escape for my convocation guilt free... thoughts?

Ahh, oh I hate people like that.

Also, my housing situation is sorted! Found a sweet shoebox of a room in kits with really awesome landlords though.

And another question--how are the profs/TAs with students missing a day? I am thinking about going home in November to attend my convocation for my BioSci degree (Nov. 10) and since that is the Thursday before the Remembrance Day holiday on Friday, I figured that I would see if I could get away with missing school on Thursday so I could fly home and attend. On Thursdays it looks like my timetable has Phar 201 and 202 and i think one of those is a tutorial/lab (202 alternates right?). Not sure what the courseload is like in November and if the profs would feel generous enough to let me escape for my convocation guilt free... thoughts?

Missing regular lectures is no big deal (ie you don't have to notify profs, unless you miss a quiz/exam/assignment of course) but labs and tutorials for CAPS (299) are a little different. For the lab (202), you might be able to request to come on an alternate day that week (ie sit in with another section). No guarantees though...it's really up to the prof, but going home for convocation seems like a legit reason (taking an extra long weekend/visiting family in a non-emergency situation IS NOT), so there is certainly no harm in asking. Also, ask early - the more notice you give, the more likely they are to give you the ok :) If I remember correctly, there isn't a tutorial on *every* alternate week, so with any luck you won't have lab/tutorial that day.

For CAPS (299) it's a little more strict - you cannot miss tutorial except for medical/family emergency, and you will require a physician's note.

PS glad you found accommodation close to UBC! Having awesome landlords definitely makes life easier :)

Hey guys, what happens if I don't write a deferred Chemistry final exam (from april) and end up getting an F? I'm not feeling well yet again but I don't think they'll let me write it again. This course is not a part of pharmacy curriculum so would it be OK for me to fail it without any consequences on my pharmacy GPA? Also, am I supposed to apply for a deferral for the 2nd time with the faculty of science (when I took the course) or pharmacy? Thanks :p

I suggest you take a Tylenol, bring tissues, wear a face mask, etc, and write the final. Since you already spent all this time going to lectures and studying, it would seem like a waste of money/time to fail the course over one test. Just go in and try to at least pass the final, it probably wouldn't take that much effort. Also, ask if another deferral is possible, but don't expect to get it.

But I'm only assuming you're sick with something not too serious (flu, cold, etc...). Hope you have a speedy recovery!! :)

I have a quick question: Do ANAT 390 and BIOC 300 have no labs? In my previous school, we usually had to sign up for the lab component along with the lecture but that is not the case in UBC. Is someone can just let me know?

I have a quick question: Do ANAT 390 and BIOC 300 have no labs? In my previous school, we usually had to sign up for the lab component along with the lecture but that is not the case in UBC. Is someone can just let me know?

Lab-less.