University of British Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey lllix, I was just wondering, what micro courses (and others) have you taken? Because I've taken an intro micro course (biol228) and immunology (biol318) now, but the intro micro was used in lieu of their Biol 112 pre-requisite requirement and immunology was used as an approved pharmacy elective...So I'm hoping since I've learned that material to a greater depth that I won't have to take MICB 202 >_>
You must be from ubco. You would need biol 312 (virology)+ Biol 314(medicaL micro)+Biol 318 (immunology) to get exempted from MICB 202 (Introduction to medical micro). 3 third year courses for one 2nd year level course pretty lame.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know (probably only current pharmacy students can answer this) roughly how many spots each STT can hold?

I sort of need to know my tentative schedule asap.

You must be from ubco. You would need biol 312 (virology)+ Biol 314(medicaL micro)+Biol 318 (immunology) to get exempted from MICB 202 (Introduction to medical micro). 3 third year courses for one 2nd year level course pretty lame.

Haha yeah...Ugh. That's ridiculous. These courses are all way more in depth...Are you from UBCO as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the help. My GPA was 77.9 and PCAT comp. was 74. I'm not sure but I think the PCAT is what bombed it for me. I don't think I messed up the interview too much since I was quite confident leaving. Margaret said to start emailing her about my ranking mid-July, so I'll do that and see how I can improve.

I'm just not sure how I should be planning my schedule. Should I be taking courses to gain admission into a specialization and take the required pharmacy courses to boost my GPA?

My advice to you would be to retake the PCAT and to get the other parts of your application stronger -- ie. pharmacy volunteer, work experience, which then lead to stronger reference letters and personal statements. The thing about UBC that I really appreciate, is that they DO look further than the #'s. They're interested in your entire person. I know this because I got accepted this year and my GPA was far, far, far from stellar. Best of luck next go-around.

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if we can switch to different STT (I.e. From A to B) after registering for one?

I want to be able to switch around depending on which courses I get exempted from. If anyone could clarify, that would be great. Thanks!

"My advice to you would be to retake the PCAT and to get the other parts of your application stronger -- ie. pharmacy volunteer, work experience, which then lead to stronger reference letters and personal statements. The thing about UBC that I really appreciate, is that they DO look further than the #'s. They're interested in your entire person. I know this because I got accepted this year and my GPA was far, far, far from stellar. Best of luck next go-around."

I agree. I was in the same boat with a weak GPA and PCAT, but the rest of my application more than made up for it, and I really appreciate UBC for looking at the whole rather than calling me out for less than stellar academic performance.

It's great that you're trying again! :)

I recall when I moved from 1st year to 2nd year, UBC made us apply for our preferred majors (3 choices) online to prepare us. Do you have that too? If so, it would help to know which major you have as a back-up (assuming Pharmacy is your ultimate goal). It would be best to satisfy as many prerequisite courses as possible within your major, while building up your Pharmacy courses (like MICB202, ANAT, etc) at the same time.

Pharmacy electives aren't used in the admission average btw. Only prerequisites to Pharmacy and courses in the mandatory part of the Pharmacy curriculum are used in GPA calculation.

Yes we do have that. I chose to do integrated science because I was thinking that would give me the freedom to choose more pre-req. related courses but now I found out that specialization doesn't really matter until 3rd year :p.

So let's say I take BIOL 200 this term. The course is not part of the pre-req course so is it just wasted credits?

Question to those of you who have experience working in a pharmacy either as a volunteer or technician, etc. How did you go about looking for these positions? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Just have a cover letter and resume ready, then go to pharmacies near you and talk to the manager! This is a good place to look for names of owners.

My advice to you would be to retake the PCAT and to get the other parts of your application stronger -- ie. pharmacy volunteer, work experience, which then lead to stronger reference letters and personal statements. The thing about UBC that I really appreciate, is that they DO look further than the #'s. They're interested in your entire person. I know this because I got accepted this year and my GPA was far, far, far from stellar. Best of luck next go-around.
Thanks! I think my EC is quite strong. Right now, I'm volunteering at a pharmacy and working OTC at another pharmacy. As well, I've been active in clubs as execs as well. Maybe I spent too much time away from studying and that's why my PCAT was a bit low :laugh:.

Yes we do have that. I chose to do integrated science because I was thinking that would give me the freedom to choose more pre-req. related courses but now I found out that specialization doesn't really matter until 3rd year :p.

So let's say I take BIOL 200 this term. The course is not part of the pre-req course so is it just wasted credits?

Biol 200 won't count towards your pharmacy admission average but it's a prereq for courses like Biol 201 which would count (if you also took Bioc 302).

Also Biol 201 is required for some upper year courses which you might need for your degree. So it's not really a waste but it doesn't count for your admission average.

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if we can switch to different STT (I.e. From A to B) after registering for one?

I want to be able to switch around depending on which courses I get exempted from. If anyone could clarify, that would be great. Thanks!

Can do whatever you want to your schedule at any time, but only if the STT hasn't been completely filled yet

Hello future pharmacists

Are there any of you who would like to make a difference by volunteering 3 hours a week helping East African high school students with their homework?

I'm starting a mentoring program to prep East African high school students for univeristy. It'll be staffed with univeristy students and graduates who have majored in science, english and math. We'll meet once every weekend for 3 hours with an hour of instruction for each of the 3 core subjects: science, math and english. Groups of students will rotate between the 3 subjects manned by a tutor.

My goal is to help more young African students get into university, because university attendance amongst african immigrants is presently very low. The program costs $10 a week for a student and the money will be used to fund a $1000 scholarship for each student that gets accepted into a university of their choice (funding permitting).

If you'd like to be a a part of this program or have any comments or suggestions, you can private message me or email me at [email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you,

Sam

Last edited:

If you take BIOL200, it's true that this grade won't be used in calculating your Pharmacy admission GPA. However, I don't think it's wasted credit.

1) In case you don't get into Pharmacy, you don't want to be left hanging with random completed courses. BIOL200 is actually a prereq for several other courses, so it's good to have it to stabilize your integrated sci. degree.

2) Like Gladd said, if you take BIOL200, you can go on to take 201. BIOL201+ BIOC302 = credit for BIOC300. Grades from BIOL201 and BIOC 302 ARE used in the admission GPA (as long as you take both of them).

3) If you get into Pharmacy, I believe BIOL200 can be used as an non-pharm. elective (need someone else to confirm this, but this is from what I've read from previous forum posts).

Hope this helps! :)

woohoo! exemption from organic, stats, physiology, and anat 391 secured! now to hear about biochem and microbio and anat 390.

not so easy to secure: housing. it's not that there aren't a TON of listings, but that living out of province and at minimum a day's worth of driving (or a very expensive short notice plane ticket) away, does not make it very easy to set up appointments!

Members don't see this ad :)
3) If you get into Pharmacy, I believe BIOL200 can be used as an non-pharm. elective (need someone else to confirm this, but this is from what I've read from previous forum posts).

yup! non-pharmacy electives can be from any year and any faculty/department as long as it's none of the pre-reqs for pharm or the courses you need to take in order to take the pre-reqs (like PHYS 100)

hope that made sense :S

woohoo! exemption from organic, stats, physiology, and anat 391 secured! now to hear about biochem and microbio and anat 390.

not so easy to secure: housing. it's not that there aren't a TON of listings, but that living out of province and at minimum a day's worth of driving (or a very expensive short notice plane ticket) away, does not make it very easy to set up appointments!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am confused about securing exemption? Is that only a process for OOP students or do UBC students have to contact the faculty to get exemptions as well?

Also, I feel your pain about housing! I'm out of the city for the summer and really stressing out about finding a place to live...

Does anyone know (probably only current pharmacy students can answer this) roughly how many spots each STT can hold?

I sort of need to know my tentative schedule asap.

This is just a guess, but since there are 9 STTs and 224 students going into first year, I would estimate 24-25 people per STT.

Just got an offer from U of A. Now I have to make decisions. Kill me now.

Just got an offer from U of A. Now I have to make decisions. Kill me now.

Wow, congrats!! I also got offers from U of A and UBC, but the decision to go with UBC was pretty easy for me since I live in Vancouver. Good luck with your decision :)

Just got in off the waitlist!!!!!

:)

yayyyyyyy!

Question to those of you who have experience working in a pharmacy either as a volunteer or technician, etc. How did you go about looking for these positions? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I think just going up to a pharmacy with a resume and talking to the manager as mentioned will land you some position. You can also look online to find if there are any vacancies and work in OTC or as a technician(if they allow it) :)

yayyyyyyy!
sweet, congrats on getting in! :)

anyone here got accepted from 1st year science in SFU , or are most of you guys from UBC or OOP.
I don't think it's possible to get in from 1st year if you went to SFU. The courses don't transfer one-to-one (eg. you have to take 3 physics courses to equal UBC's PHYS 101) so it will take a bit longer. But, it's alright because if you stay for two years you can do some courses that are part of the UBC Pharm curriculum, and that will lower your course load once you get it:)

yayyyyyyy!

Congrats, I know you were really hoping for this.

Congrats!!! That's a good problem to have!

Haha, yeah I know. It feels good since both UBC and U of A rejected me last year and now apparently I am popular. I am very torn about the decision though. Vancouver has seduced me and Edmonton is a craphole, but there are a lot of benefits to staying in Alberta. But the experience of living in Vancouver might just outweigh those... I have until the 15th to pay my deposit to the U of A. Gonna be a rough weekend for me.

So I'm guessing lllix is going to U of A? lol. Oh and congrats Gladd. I'm glad you got in!!!

Haha, relax. I barely just found out before going to work for eight hours. I haven't turned down any offers or paid any deposits just yet. But good to see that the waitlist is moving for people who deserve it.

Thanks everyone!

And Illix... That's gonna be rough for sure. But keep in mind... It's Edmonton. yuck. :p

It's good to see the waitlist move! Grats Gladd!

When is the last date to accept your offer? (ie. when should I stop dreaming I'd get off the wl? :p)

Thanks everyone!

And Illix... That's gonna be rough for sure. But keep in mind... It's Edmonton. yuck. :p

Edmonton is nasty. What sucks even more is that my boyfriend is currently in Austria right now and I can't even talk to him to figure out what I should do.

Pharmacy’s Elective Requirements:[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
The elective requirement to graduate from the undergraduate Pharmacy program is a total of 18 credits of electives; 6 credits of which are non-pharmacy electives, and 12 credits of which are pharmacy approved electives. For the 12 credits of pharmacy-approved electives, a minimum of 3 credits must be a PHAR elective course.

So I got 9 pharm-aproved elective and 6 non-pharm elective credits. So I'm assuming we all have to take one course in PHAR? Can you guys list possible ones!!!

Edmonton is nasty. What sucks even more is that my boyfriend is currently in Austria right now and I can't even talk to him to figure out what I should do.

Awww man. I assume there's no way of contacting him. I'm assuming you're not from Edmonton and if you have to move away from home might as well move somewhere where you'll like it. Vancouver isn't that far! But if you are close to Edmonton... then staying there would also be very tempting.

Pharmacy’s Elective Requirements:[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
The elective requirement to graduate from the undergraduate Pharmacy program is a total of 18 credits of electives; 6 credits of which are non-pharmacy electives, and 12 credits of which are pharmacy approved electives. For the 12 credits of pharmacy-approved electives, a minimum of 3 credits must be a PHAR elective course.

So I got 9 pharm-aproved elective and 6 non-pharm elective credits. So I'm assuming we all have to take one course in PHAR? Can you guys list possible ones!!!

They're on the Pharmacy Approved Electives sheet:

PHAR 405 (2-6) Problems in Clinical Pharmacy
PHAR 408 (3) Clinical Pharmacokinetics
PHAR 414 (6) Problems in Pharmaceutics & Biopharmaceutics
PHAR 415 (4) Topics in Pharmaceutics & Biopharmaceutics
PHAR 426 (6) Problems in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
PHAR 440 (3) Pain Research and Therapy
PHAR 444 (6) Problems in Pharmacology
PHAR 448 (3) Environmental and Cellular Toxicology
PHAR 450 (2-6) Selected Topics
PHAR 450B Sec 019 (3) Drug Safety
PHAR 453 (2-6) Directed Studies in Pharmacy Practice
PHAR 453B Sec. 023 (3) Oncology Pharmacotherapeutics
PHAR 455 (3) Pharmacy in Canada’s Health Care System (not offered in 09-10)
PHAR 456 (3) Introduction to Pharmacoeconomics and Health Technology Assessment

I heard you have to take the PHAR elective in 3rd or 4th year though? Is that true?

They're on the Pharmacy Approved Electives sheet:

PHAR 405 (2-6) Problems in Clinical Pharmacy
PHAR 408 (3) Clinical Pharmacokinetics
PHAR 414 (6) Problems in Pharmaceutics & Biopharmaceutics
PHAR 415 (4) Topics in Pharmaceutics & Biopharmaceutics
PHAR 426 (6) Problems in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
PHAR 440 (3) Pain Research and Therapy
PHAR 444 (6) Problems in Pharmacology
PHAR 448 (3) Environmental and Cellular Toxicology
PHAR 450 (2-6) Selected Topics
PHAR 450B Sec 019 (3) Drug Safety
PHAR 453 (2-6) Directed Studies in Pharmacy Practice
PHAR 453B Sec. 023 (3) Oncology Pharmacotherapeutics
PHAR 455 (3) Pharmacy in Canada’s Health Care System (not offered in 09-10)
PHAR 456 (3) Introduction to Pharmacoeconomics and Health Technology Assessment

I heard you have to take the PHAR elective in 3rd or 4th year though? Is that true?

Yes, the vast majority of PHAR electives are not available until year 3 or 4, although I think there is a new elective that is just being introduced this year that only 2nd year students can apply for, something to do with being a "health mentor". I'm not that familiar with it though as it was just introduced and I am going into 4th year.

That being said, in 4th year it is not a problem to have a couple of electives as there are only two required lecture courses, and then practicums for one semester. Although the entire practicum program may change with the increased class size (your class will really be guinea pigs for the next four years).

Yes, the vast majority of PHAR electives are not available until year 3 or 4, although I think there is a new elective that is just being introduced this year that only 2nd year students can apply for, something to do with being a "health mentor". I'm not that familiar with it though as it was just introduced and I am going into 4th year.

That being said, in 4th year it is not a problem to have a couple of electives as there are only two required lecture courses, and then practicums for one semester. Although the entire practicum program may change with the increased class size (your class will really be guinea pigs for the next four years).

Oh okay thanks!

And so for that one semester in 4th year, we're doing nothing but 2 lectures?

Awww man. I assume there's no way of contacting him. I'm assuming you're not from Edmonton and if you have to move away from home might as well move somewhere where you'll like it. Vancouver isn't that far! But if you are close to Edmonton... then staying there would also be very tempting.

Well we exchange facebook messages when we can, but it's usually not enough to have a big extended conversation. Sometimes he won't even check it for a few days, and I can't really blame him because he's got better things to do like see the sights and visit relatives.

Edmonton is a three hour drive away so it definitely makes driving on weekends more plausible; whereas driving too and from van for a weekend is out ofthe question and flights are too expensive. transport back and for from alberta to BC is what is really going to add up throughout the four years of the pharmacy program. living expenses would be lower in edmonton, which would allow me to save up for backpacking europe which i plan to do. but so many pros and cons. the experience and lifestyle that you get in vancouver is definitely something that i wish i could have and would be worth a little extra cash. and it's bad to make a decision based on one relationship, but it definitely is a factor.

either way, U of A needs a deposit by the 15th (and the day my bf gets back to town), and it's only 175 so i am tempted to pay it because it isn't that much, but really it would only by me a few extra days of decision making because UBC registration for me is on the 19th. Plus that means less housing options no matter where i choose the longer i wait.

okay, done having my stress rant!

Can anyone comment (perhaps current pharm students in higher years) on the typical tuition for each year? I know first year is bound to be cheaper if you have a couple course exemptions, but how about in second, third, and fourth? I am trying to compare UBC and U of A on that front.

Can anyone comment (perhaps current pharm students in higher years) on the typical tuition for each year? I know first year is bound to be cheaper if you have a couple course exemptions, but how about in second, third, and fourth? I am trying to compare UBC and U of A on that front.

Hi lllix, my friend in pharmacy told me that you pay ~$226 per credit plus around $800 mandatory student fees (med/dent, upass etc), so it all depends on how many courses u are taking. If you already finished all elective it shouldn't be more than $8000 during 2nd and 3rd year.

Well we exchange facebook messages when we can, but it's usually not enough to have a big extended conversation. Sometimes he won't even check it for a few days, and I can't really blame him because he's got better things to do like see the sights and visit relatives.

Edmonton is a three hour drive away so it definitely makes driving on weekends more plausible; whereas driving too and from van for a weekend is out ofthe question and flights are too expensive. transport back and for from alberta to BC is what is really going to add up throughout the four years of the pharmacy program. living expenses would be lower in edmonton, which would allow me to save up for backpacking europe which i plan to do. but so many pros and cons. the experience and lifestyle that you get in vancouver is definitely something that i wish i could have and would be worth a little extra cash. and it's bad to make a decision based on one relationship, but it definitely is a factor.

either way, U of A needs a deposit by the 15th (and the day my bf gets back to town), and it's only 175 so i am tempted to pay it because it isn't that much, but really it would only by me a few extra days of decision making because UBC registration for me is on the 19th. Plus that means less housing options no matter where i choose the longer i wait.

okay, done having my stress rant!

Yah I definitely understand you're struggle. I was stressing over a LDR when I got waitlisted here and into UofT. But I don't know I suggest you talk to your boyfriend about it and such.. I'm sure you have.. and make the decision together. Just talking to him would probably help alot. :)

It's good to see the waitlist move! Grats Gladd!

When is the last date to accept your offer? (ie. when should I stop dreaming I'd get off the wl? :p)

Sorry I didn't see this before!

And they didn't give us a date.. Just to reply immediately if we wanted to decline the offer. the SSC date is Sept 1st... but the actual date is probably just before registration I assume.

And don't give up hope! You have a great chance of getting in. I think you should find out either way after registration finishes but it could be longer depending on how close you are to the cutoff. Good luck to you!

Can we take BIOL 112 and MICB 202 in the same semester even though BIOL 112 is a pre-req for MICB 202?

edit: never mind, MICB 202 is offered in second semester anyway.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't see this before!

And they didn't give us a date.. Just to reply immediately if we wanted to decline the offer. the SSC date is Sept 1st... but the actual date is probably just before registration I assume.

And don't give up hope! You have a great chance of getting in. I think you should find out either way after registration finishes but it could be longer depending on how close you are to the cutoff. Good luck to you!

Ahh ok. thx :)

Can we take BIOL 112 and MICB 202 in the same semester even though BIOL 112 is a pre-req for MICB 202?

Nope, I don't think so. If it says pre-req, then you probably need to have taken it beforehand.

Hey,

Here is a really useful app to calculate your tuition, living expenses etc.

The standard tuition for pharmacy student is $ 7700.....:eek:
http://www.students.ubc.ca/youbc/va/costs.cfm

I don't think it's possible to get in from 1st year if you went to SFU. The courses don't transfer one-to-one (eg. you have to take 3 physics courses to equal UBC's PHYS 101) so it will take a bit longer. But, it's alright because if you stay for two years you can do some courses that are part of the UBC Pharm curriculum, and that will lower your course load once you get it:)

hmm you sure? for non-ubc applicants,

First-year university Physics with a lab. Or, also acceptable, is a one-semester Physics course that has a prerequisite requirement of PHYS 12, and that includes a lab.

anyone here got accepted from 1st year science in SFU , or are most of you guys from UBC or OOP.

I was accepted from 1st year science at University of the Fraser Valley, we had nearly equivalent classes just received fewer credits (eg. 3 credits transferred for a 4 credit course). I'm sure SFU has those equivalent classes, just check http://www.bctransferguide.ca/ or talk to a science advisor.

Yeah I'm sure because I had to do it and I have friends that did it too or are planning to do it. The physics class is just one example, because the SFU phys lab, PHYS 130 (Burnaby campus), has a prerequisite of PHYS 101 and a corequisite of PHYS 102. That's 8 credits of first year phys while at UBC you would only have to do 3. If you really want to transfer straight from 1st year science at SFU to UBC pharm, you need to take 17 credits in first term and 19 in second term -- the faculty only allows you to do a maximum of 18 credits per term, so perhaps you could get permission to take more. I'm not sure about this because I don't know anyone who has done it, but you could give it a try. Good luck, and you should definitely get your info from SFU and UBC advisors if this is what you want to do:)

Anyone know where I can get information regarding my immunization history if I received some of the required vaccinations in high school/elementary?

I tried contacting the high school I attended and no luck.

Family doctor is useless too.

Also, how are we suppose to remember the exact date we got chicken pox?!