University of Arizona - Tucson & Phoenix Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Curious-i'm applying during this upcoming cycle as an OOS--do you have to specify which location you want (Tuc or Phx) on your secondary- or they'll decide that if they want to admit you?

Members don't see this ad.

Curious-i'm applying during this upcoming cycle as an OOS--do you have to specify which location you want (Tuc or Phx) on your secondary- or they'll decide that if they want to admit you?

When you login to AMCAS, you are able to chose which campus you would like to apply to.

Thanks! If I want to apply to both, is it double the fee? Do you know which site is more receptive to OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! If I want to apply to both, is it double the fee? Do you know which site is more receptive to OOS?

no. it's only one fee.

they are both equally receptive to OOS students, with up to 25% of the Tucson and the Phoenix class being offered acceptances.

I think this year's incoming class of 48 at Phoenix has 36 IS and 12 OOS

no. it's only one fee.

they are both equally receptive to OOS students, with up to 25% of the Tucson and the Phoenix class being offered acceptances.

I think this year's incoming class of 48 at Phoenix has 36 IS and 12 OOS

Will it still be that way this year? Aren't they listed separately or something now?

I withdrew from UACOM-Phoenix today. I have really enjoyed following this thread and I want to wish everyone the best of luck with school!

Will it still be that way this year? Aren't they listed separately or something now?

I believe that have been separated for the 2010-2011 application cycle. I assume that this means that they will have their primary application fee by AMCAS, but I am unsure this will work with secondary costs. Good luck next year.

Financial aid packets,anyone?? Almost may 15...

Hey all,

few questions, sorry if they have been asked before

1) What sort of response did you guys write to admissions to accept your acceptance?

2) I received an email earlier this morning linking the Tucson Orientation Information website. Did you guys get this earlier? My log in isn't working, are yours?

Wanted to check this website before I called them.

Peace,
ACE

Hey all,

few questions, sorry if they have been asked before

1) What sort of response did you guys write to admissions to accept your acceptance?

2) I received an email earlier this morning linking the Tucson Orientation Information website. Did you guys get this earlier? My log in isn't working, are yours?

Wanted to check this website before I called them.

Peace,
ACE

I got an email confirming that my stuff was received.

The website is up. They probably haven't put in your log-in info yet.

You're right, just logged in. Thanks!

Thought I'd post here b/c it's looking like I'll be officially accepted within a week or two. Any online resources I should check before asking lots of questions? I'll definitely make sure I read through old posts (only 12 pages?!) before I let them loose. Erik, MedHopeful, SmokeyGrey, you guys on here much?

Nice to meet everyone else! I'm Rustin. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
before I let them loose. Erik, MedHopeful, SmokeyGrey, you guys on here much?

I don't think I've posted here yet, but why not start now?

Rustin, you haven't said much about what you think about the Suns/Lakers match up yet. I am waiting (rather impatiently) for the game tonight! Go suns!

Thought I'd post here b/c it's looking like I'll be officially accepted within a week or two. Any online resources I should check before asking lots of questions? I'll definitely make sure I read through old posts (only 12 pages?!) before I let them loose. Erik, MedHopeful, SmokeyGrey, you guys on here much?

Nice to meet everyone else! I'm Rustin. :D

I think most of the 12 pages are me and MadE (who recently decided med school studies were more important than us) just BSing. That's not to say it isn't all pure gold, because it is.

Rustin, you haven't said much about what you think about the Suns/Lakers match up yet. I am waiting (rather impatiently) for the game tonight! Go suns!

Well seeing how the game went last night, I don't think most of us Suns fans would have predicted that kind of mismatch. The Suns looked about like they did in the 2 losses to Portland, which was not good. Last night they lacked the quality defense and rebounding that got them to this point in the playoffs. Assuming they can bounce back to the form the displayed in the 6 game win streak we may be able to bounce back, but we have an uphill battle now.

It's going to be tough with the Lakers, as evidenced by last night's game. The Suns HAVE to keep the tempo up, and make the Lakers play small ball. The series is going 6 or 7 games either way. If the Suns can control tempo, and get some of the calls to go their way, they may advance - but I'd say Lakers will probably take it.

Phoenix people -
I got an email last week saying the class website would likely be up yesterday. Do you guys know if it's up and how to get to it?

It's going to be tough with the Lakers, as evidenced by last night's game. The Suns HAVE to keep the tempo up, and make the Lakers play small ball. The series is going 6 or 7 games either way. If the Suns can control tempo, and get some of the calls to go their way, they may advance - but I'd say Lakers will probably take it.

I agree. They also need some one on the bench to step up in each game like we saw against the Spurs. If they can't step up, I don't know that we'll make it to 6 or 7 games. If we play like last night with poor shooting, no rebounding, and terrible defense then we're gunna get swept.

Hey everyone, I'm Allysa!

I just wanted to say hi! I was accepted on Monday to Tucson.

I have a couple questions. I sent in my letter of acceptance for the offer today and was curious if after this you receive a big packet in the mail with more info? If so, how long did this take for some of you? Have any of you received financial aid offers yet? One last thing, I was an undergraduate at UA for the past four years, does this mean I can retain my same UA Student ID # or do you think I will be assigned a new one? Thanks for the help and I'm sorry if any of these questions have been asked already :)

Nice to see you on here MadeIn!
Can't wait to meet all of you in August!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm Allysa!

I just wanted to say hi! I was accepted on Monday to Tucson.

I have a couple questions. I sent in my letter of acceptance for the offer today and was curious if after this you receive a big packet in the mail with more info? If so, how long did this take for some of you? Also, have any of you received financial aid offers yet?

Nice to see you on here MadeIn!
Can't wait to meet all of you in August!

Congrats again on the recent acceptance (I told you this on the application thread too). As for big packets, unfortunately no. It seems they want to save the money and paper and do it electronically. Also, no financial aid info yet either...

In other news, MY WIFE GOT A TEACHING JOB IN TUCSON!!!! Yes, the all caps is intended to signify me yelling that. I am super excited. I was so nervous that she was going to have a hard time finding a job in this economy. We had to drive her around so she could introduce herself at a number of different places and show initiative, but it worked out. I guess it just goes to show with a lot of effort you CAN find a job in this down economy. Oh man, I am going to be so excited about this all night! She's gunna have to be my suga' mama all through med school now!

Congrats again on the recent acceptance (I told you this on the application thread too). As for big packets, unfortunately no. It seems they want to save the money and paper and do it electronically. Also, no financial aid info yet either...

In other news, MY WIFE GOT A TEACHING JOB IN TUCSON!!!! Yes, the all caps is intended to signify me yelling that. I am super excited. I was so nervous that she was going to have a hard time finding a job in this economy. We had to drive her around so she could introduce herself at a number of different places and show initiative, but it worked out. I guess it just goes to show with a lot of effort you CAN find a job in this down economy. Oh man, I am going to be so excited about this all night! She's gunna have to be my suga' mama all through med school now!

Congrats!!! Thanks for the info, can't wait to meet you in August!

Congrats, lrk and wife! That's great news! Hopefully my husband can accomplish the same.... :xf:

She's gunna have to be my suga' mama all through med school now!

Awesome! Congrats to her (and you, especially). My wife is my suga mama right now, too. It's great. :cool:

...she does remind me constantly, though, that I'm going to have to reciprocate in the future. And of course, I'll be happy to.

hey J, Did you get it? I just got access to it today. http://newstudentsphx.medicine.arizona.edu

Wow, that website looks cool! Go IT dept... I guess they ARE doing something down there in the basement (besides playing WoW and Counterstrike)... :D

Hey, congrats! That'll be really helpful! My wife wont be working much through med school - is there a name for that like sugar mama? Maybe whole wheat mama . . . :laugh:

Hey, congrats! That'll be really helpful! My wife wont be working much through med school - is there a name for that like sugar mama? Maybe whole wheat mama . . . :laugh:

Haha, I'm not sure what that's called, but I know what they call husbands in that situation...SUCKERS!!! I'm totally just kidding, but I think every male in med school should find a sugar mama. You hear that incoming male students? You have about 2 months to find and marry a sugar mama who will provide you a life of luxury through medical school.

Awesome! Congrats to her (and you, especially). My wife is my suga mama right now, too. It's great. :cool:

...she does remind me constantly, though, that I'm going to have to reciprocate in the future. And of course, I'll be happy to.

This is the downside to the sugar mama arrangement is that you spend the rest of your life repaying her...I guess that's why its best if you actually love your sugar mama, so when it comes time to repay her its not as bad.

Congrats, lrk and wife! That's great news! Hopefully my husband can accomplish the same.... :xf:

Thanks for the congrats. What field does your husband work in?

Thanks for the congrats. What field does your husband work in?

Well, that's the tough part: he's an opera singer. He actually just finished his Master's degree at Indiana University, but he has performed in Germany and was considering a 2-year contract over there. It seems that he has now decided he is sick of us being apart (which I am, too, as we have done long-distance for 3 years now), so he'd like to do something here. He has taught music at a Montessori school before, so he may consider seeking a charter school position (he doesn't have teaching certification) or may work towards certification in education for the next year to teach in public schools (if they don't eliminate all music programs before then, grrr). He may try to do some things with AZOpera or Phoenix Opera Theatre, but nothing is set up yet, so we'll see. It's a tough field, and it sucks that he has the opportunity to sing professionally in Germany but doesn't want the lifestyle.

Well, that's the tough part: he's an opera singer. He actually just finished his Master's degree at Indiana University, but he has performed in Germany and was considering a 2-year contract over there. It seems that he has now decided he is sick of us being apart (which I am, too, as we have done long-distance for 3 years now), so he'd like to do something here. He has taught music at a Montessori school before, so he may consider seeking a charter school position (he doesn't have teaching certification) or may work towards certification in education for the next year to teach in public schools (if they don't eliminate all music programs before then, grrr). He may try to do some things with AZOpera or Phoenix Opera Theatre, but nothing is set up yet, so we'll see. It's a tough field, and it sucks that he has the opportunity to sing professionally in Germany but doesn't want the lifestyle.

Wow, that's one of those really tough fields to be in. I hope he can find some work nearby or you may end up like MadE's or my wife being the sugar mama, which would be hard with you being in school and everything...

Hey Everyone,

I have been following on this thread for quite a while and have to say thank you for the info you guys put, its beyond helpful!!! I cannot wait to meet everyone in a few months! In the meantime I was wondering in terms of all the stuff we are suppose to do before starting, is there a link where we can order the white coat? Because apparently we are suppose to do it before the 25th of June, and I am going to be out of the country, and want to do it early, but cannot seem to find a link for it!

Hey Everyone,

I have been following on this thread for quite a while and have to say thank you for the info you guys put, its beyond helpful!!! I cannot wait to meet everyone in a few months! In the meantime I was wondering in terms of all the stuff we are suppose to do before starting, is there a link where we can order the white coat? Because apparently we are suppose to do it before the 25th of June, and I am going to be out of the country, and want to do it early, but cannot seem to find a link for it!

On the same note is anyone able to enroll in the classes that they mention?

On the same note is anyone able to enroll in the classes that they mention?

I have not been able to register either. I have turned in my MMR records but haven't received confirmation though either. I know that U of A as a whole requires proof of MMR vaccination before allowing you to register.

Hey Everyone,

I too am out of the country and won't quite be able to meet their deadlines. I think that as long as you are close they'll be ok with it.

Hey Everyone,

I emailed admissions about this last week and they said that the links are not posted yet for ordering your white coat, for name pronunciation or for submitting your professional photo. They said to keep checking the website and it should be posted soon.

Hey guys. I just noticed on the UAccess system that my financial aid info has been loaded. I'm not sure how long it has been up but you might wanna check it out and see if yours is up too.

And just fyi, I got one scholarship and one grant for a total of $2750, and everything else is loans. During undergrad this would have been a nice chunk of change but now it just barely makes a dent. What have I gotten myself into??? LOL

Hey guys. I just noticed on the UAccess system that my financial aid info has been loaded. I'm not sure how long it has been up but you might wanna check it out and see if yours is up too.

And just fyi, I got one scholarship and one grant for a total of $2750, and everything else is loans. During undergrad this would have been a nice chunk of change but now it just barely makes a dent. What have I gotten myself into??? LOL

Oof. That makes me wish I had gotten the UAccess set up before everyone left the office for the three day weekend.

If I understand the conversation I've had with Keli at Phoenix correctly the bulk of scholarships (those given out by the committee receiving information from the scholarship application) have yet to be given out and are expected later in the summer.

My financial aid is also up. I got the same scholarship and grant combo adding to $2750. I guess that's better than nothing...Heck, over 4 years that's over $10k, so its really not all that bad for free money.

If I understand the conversation I've had with Keli at Phoenix correctly the bulk of scholarships (those given out by the committee receiving information from the scholarship application) have yet to be given out and are expected later in the summer.

It would be nice to get more scholarship money later this summer too...

My financial aid is also up. I got the same scholarship and grant combo adding to $2750. I guess that's better than nothing...Heck, over 4 years that's over $10k, so its really not all that bad for free money.

It would be nice to get more scholarship money later this summer too...

The "medical scholarship" thing or whatever that is currently listed on your fin aid isn't a scholarship at all but another grant (per Keli.) So in reality, basically no scholarships have been given out yet. Confusing, I know.

The "medical scholarship" thing or whatever that is currently listed on your fin aid isn't a scholarship at all but another grant (per Keli.) So in reality, basically no scholarships have been given out yet. Confusing, I know.

Yeah, I know its a grant that's labeled as a "scholarship," but I just said it was a scholarship and a grant because that's how its listed on my financial aid report. The sad thing is that I got more grant money during undergrad than I am going to get this upcoming year from UA, which I think is pretty pathetic.

My grants total 4,750... probably because I'm OOS.

I am most likely going to Tucson... who wants to have a joint celebration at the beginning of the year with the Phoenix people too? I'm really excited for next year.

My grants total 4,750... probably because I'm OOS.

I am most likely going to Tucson... who wants to have a joint celebration at the beginning of the year with the Phoenix people too? I'm really excited for next year.

That would be awesome! I'm in!

That would be awesome! I'm in!

Depending on how our housing situation shakes down, my wife and I might be doing something like this. It really depends how quickly we can close and get things setup.

Hello Everyone, my name is Jon and I will be attending Tucson this fall. (that kinda sounds like I am in a support group) So anyways, I am starting to stress about housing. I want something quiet yet close to school, is that even possible with undergrads? Does anyone have any ideas or places I should be looking?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Hello Everyone, my name is Jon and I will be attending Tucson this fall. (that kinda sounds like I am in a support group) So anyways, I am starting to stress about housing. I want something quiet yet close to school, is that even possible with undergrads? Does anyone have any ideas or places I should be looking?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

From what I have gathered, its about what you would expect down in Tucson. If you're closer to the University, you're going to be around more undergrads and you're going to be paying more. If you are looking for something quieter, I would suggest you look a couple miles away from the university and perhaps try to avoid apartments, if possible. Apartments will attract undergrads more I think, which of course means more noise. If you can buy/rent a house in a neighborhood a few miles away, you'll probably be good...just make sure its a nicer neighborhood. That's probably all a bunch of general info that you could have figured out yourself. It would be better for us to know if you are looking to rent or buy? If you are looking to buy, I can help you, but I don't know much about the rental market near the university. I'm sure some one who went to UA can help you more with rental ideas.

I'm not really in the market to buy so renting is the way for me. Does anyone know if the school offers any assistance or has a way to contact a local that can help?

Thx,
Jon

I'm not really in the market to buy so renting is the way for me. Does anyone know if the school offers any assistance or has a way to contact a local that can help?

Thx,
Jon

Hi Jon,

So I went to UA for undergrad. I would recommend checking out the Sam Hughes neighborhood. I have heard good things about that area. Also, I would recommend stopping by the off campus housing office. There office is located in the Student Union Memorial Center on the 4th level (above the UA Bookstore) in the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership. They can probably help you out. Here is there website: http://offcampus.arizona.edu

Last edited:

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Don't stress yourself...it's still pretty early. School doesn't start until August, and a lot of homeowners are looking to rent their homes NOW rather than reserve it until August. I would suggest that you take a trip down to Tucson sometime in July and look at houses/apts. If you want to live within walking distance of UMC (between Mountain Ave. & Campbell), I would probably start looking now. These homeowners do tend to reserve for the fall and the houses that are closer to campus tend to rent a little faster than the ones further away from campus. Here are some places to start looking:

- Craigslist
- any property management company in Tucson
- google maps real estate
- don't use REDI! I used it back in 2005 and it is useless. A waste of time and money.

If you want something nicer, I would look to the areas that are north and/or east of campus. The Sam Hughes area is nice and within walking/biking distance, but a little pricier than other areas. Like others have said, I would try to avoid large apartment complexes if you want quiet, especially the ones who offer individual room leases. Undergrads tend to flock to those.

Depending on how much you like commuting, I wouldn't live anywhere past Swan Rd. Traffic in Tucson sucks big time, the speed limit is like 35 everywhere near campus, and even if you live about 3-4 miles away, it could take you about 20 min to get to campus during rush hour. That might not sound like a lot, but coupled with the idiot drivers in Tucson it'll grow old reallllly quick. Hope this helps!

Also, if you are planning on driving to campus, I would definitely get a parking pass. Go to parking.arizona.edu and get one ASAP. Zone 1 is great and there are a couple Lot Specific lots by UMC that are good too (I don't remember their exact numbers). If those aren't available, you might wanna go with the parking garage that is next to the Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering AME building (can't remember the name sorry, but it's off of Helen & Mountain). If the parking garage is too expensive, I think they have commuter lots where you can park your car off campus and ride the Cat Tran in. Those are the cheapest.

But seriously, if anyone is planning on driving to campus and you don't have a parking pass, you REALLY need to get on it!

Last edited:
Now, I'm going to be living about 4 miles away from the UMC at the Citation Gardens Co-ops on Jones Blvd. I'm wondering if it's a better idea to get a parking pass or to simply buy a bicycle, especially if the rush hour traffic is that bad. What do you guys think?

hey everyone, i was wondering if any of you have done the fingerprinting clearance card and how and where we can get this fingerprinting done. I received the application from UA-Phx about the fingerprinting and would like to know if any of you have finished this requirement already. Thanks