University of Arizona - Tucson & Phoenix Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, it's April 15th; where the hell is the financial aid application?!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the financial aid application was due by March 1? that's at fafsa.ed.gov. As for information regarding the procedure as to getting the money, at Phoenix they told me that would come in an email in May.

Also, have people done their official letter of intent yet?

It's not like I need scholarship/financial information before the May 15th deadline so that I can accurately take into account the factors that will help me make a decision that over four years will cost approximately a quarter of a million dollars. Oh wait.....

/sarcasm

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not like I need scholarship/financial information before the May 15th deadline so that I can accurately take into account the factors that will help me make a decision that over four years will cost approximately a quarter of a million dollars. Oh wait.....

/sarcasm

+1....one of my current main reasons for UA is cost....where the hell is our financial info? :mad:

Erik and Logan have been pretty liberal with posting my picture (even though I never gave them permission to do so) over on the UA 2010 application thread. You can probably find it there if you go back a couple pages.

Technically, I never posted a picture of you. I only reminded Erik to post one of you (which he needs to do again for the current page) and I posted a link to a video of you

I'm pretty sure you are referring to the interactive scholarship application which was supposed to be up and running by today. They also said back in March that it should be up by March 15th. Anyone think they'll push it back to the 15th of May?

I thought the financial aid application was due by March 1? that's at fafsa.ed.gov. As for information regarding the procedure as to getting the money, at Phoenix they told me that would come in an email in May.

Also, have people done their official letter of intent yet?

Do we need to send an official letter of intent? I thought we just had to send an email telling them that we'd be there. Then if we don't withdraw, they just assume we will be matriculating.

+1....one of my current main reasons for UA is cost....where the hell is our financial info? :mad:

They haven't even officially set tuition, so financial aid can't come out until after that is done. That is supposedly going to occur in late April or early May. I do want my financial aid though too. Hell, maybe we won't get our financial aid ever, and they will just make it free next year.

They haven't even officially set tuition, so financial aid can't come out until after that is done. That is supposedly going to occur in late April or early May. I do want my financial aid though too. Hell, maybe we won't get our financial aid ever, and they will just make it free next year.

I don't want to speak for Tucson but I'm pretty sure Phoenix's tuition is set.
"Finally, as of yesterday the Arizona Board of Regents has approved tuition and program fees for the College of Medicine for 2010-2011. Those rates will be $25,538 for Residents, and $42,676 for Non-Residents."
Per Keli at Phoenix back in March.

"Finally, as of yesterday the Arizona Board of Regents has approved tuition and program fees for the College of Medicine for 2010-2011. Those rates will be $25,538 for Residents, and $42,676 for Non-Residents."

i got that email as well. does that just go for Phoenix? or does that include Tucson? i would assume they would have the same tuition.

Hell, maybe we won't get our financial aid ever, and they will just make it free next year.

That's what I'm thinking. Full scholarships for everybody, no need to fill out the application!

$25.5k is better than the ~27k I saw estimated on the financial aid website, so I hope that's for both campuses. It still makes me pissed at myself that I didn't apply to a school like Baylor where tuition is less there out of state than it is here instate...I guess that's what happens when Texas has sound fiscal policies and Arizona thinks selling the capitol building is a solution to budget short falls...

i got that email as well. does that just go for Phoenix? or does that include Tucson? i would assume they would have the same tuition.

I certainly hope the two campuses would be the same, especially considering that they are now both exclusively under the rule of UA.

That's what I'm thinking. Full scholarships for everybody, no need to fill out the application!

Full scholarships should be the norm...heck they should even throw in a free plasma screen tv to seal the deal...better yet, one of those LED tvs! How else will UA ever move up in the rankings???:rolleyes:

$25.5k is better than the ~27k I saw estimated on the financial aid website, so I hope that's for both campuses.

~1.5k in fees.

/being the bearer of bad news

After Second Look we should all get some cardboard signs and stand by the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know, probably the sooner, the better. I already sent mine in. Let's see how stingy these people are...

~1.5k in fees.

/being the bearer of bad news

does that go for both campuses?

I don't know, probably the sooner, the better. I already sent mine in. Let's see how stingy these people are...

what did you put as the tuition + fees? did you write what MadEvans posted was the tuition + fees?

I just plugged in the in-state numbers provided on the FinAid page.

You just love to ruin dreams, don't you? :mad:

As long as we're ruining dreams I thought I'd share that per Keli at Phoenix the average scholarship award is $2,000. So for all of you qualified geniuses out there gunning for full rides, sorry. :( I guess it's better than nothing. But not by much. $2,000 for each year over four years is a whopping 8% of the cost of attendance! :thumbdown:

*I don't blame all the wonderful people at the med schools but the #&@$ing state legislature for that*

*I don't blame all the wonderful people at the med schools but the #&@$ing state legislature for that*

:thumbup: Look at how cheap tuition is in a place like Texas. There is no reason that AZ shouldn't be able to do the same thing.

:thumbup: Look at how cheap tuition is in a place like Texas. There is no reason that AZ shouldn't be able to do the same thing.

i guess the "everything is bigger in texas" phrase doesn't apply to the medical school tuitions in that state lol.

As long as we're ruining dreams I thought I'd share that per Keli at Phoenix the average scholarship award is $2,000. So for all of you qualified geniuses out there gunning for full rides, sorry. :( I guess it's better than nothing. But not by much. $2,000 for each year over four years is a whopping 8% of the cost of attendance! :thumbdown:

The old Russian saying goes "A little fish is better than a big cockroach."

I just plugged in the in-state numbers provided on the FinAid page.

so for the section titled "Research Participation in 2010-2011"....first question "Have you been involved in research AND intend to continue in 2010-2011?"......does that only apply if I was involved in research THIS year or any year during college?

what throws me off are the two subsequent questions, which use the present tense: "Are you involved...." and "If you are involved..." ....makes me think that it is only referring to the present, as in this yr, right now. your thoughts?

The old Russian saying goes "A little fish is better than a big cockroach."

Um have you ever had a cockroach??? Super high in fiber! Nice and crunchy! Tastes just like chicken!

Hi guys!

I was just accepted to Phoenix off the waitlist on Friday and will definitely be attending. I am coming from the east coast but it was far and away my first choice after the interview day! Looking forward to having you all as classmates in July.

I have a random computer question, I remember something from the interview day about it being a bad idea to have a mac computer as it is hard to look at the slides. Is this true?

Um have you ever had a cockroach??? Super high in fiber! Nice and crunchy! Tastes just like chicken!

And when you bite into them and the guts ooze out...yum! This is especially delicious right off the grill when the insides are nice and hot...mmmm, sewer roaches...

Hi guys!

I was just accepted to Phoenix off the waitlist on Friday and will definitely be attending. I am coming from the east coast but it was far and away my first choice after the interview day! Looking forward to having you all as classmates in July.

I have a random computer question, I remember something from the interview day about it being a bad idea to have a mac computer as it is hard to look at the slides. Is this true?

First of all congrats! I don't know about macs having trouble with slides, but I would imagine that since most people will have a PC that if you do have trouble you will have an easier time finding some one who can help you. Plus, macs are great, but damn they are expensive (dare I say overpriced?).

I'm not sure how to appropriately express my feelings about having to write
"a narrative describing your professional and personal goals, how you became interested in medicine, activities demonstrating such qualities as leadership and social commitment, talents and interests outside the field of medicine, and any other information you think might be helpful..." :rolleyes: Can't they just read my personal statement and secondary essays? ((sigh))

Last edited:
"a narrative describing your professional and personal goals, how you became interested in medicine, activities demonstrating such qualities as leadership and social commitment, talents and interests outside the field of medicine, and any other information you think might be helpful..." :rolleyes: Can't they just read my personal statement and secondary essays? ((sigh))

Yeah, I was wondering that. Do you think it would be taboo to cherry pick (by which I mean ctrl+c and then ctrl+v) from our personal statements/older essays? I might send Keli an email asking that.

From Phoenix: You certainly don’t want to reinvent the wheel so if you have essays from your admission applications that you would like to use, please do so. I know it seems like we should have that information however, financial aid is separate from the admissions process so the scholarship committee members do not have access to your previously submitted documentation and essays which is why we must ask you to submit it again.

Firstly, congrats on your acceptance! Even though you are clearly a Yankees fan, we will welcome you into our class with open arms.

I was assured that my macbook would be fine and that lots of people use them. Apparently they'll take all our computers on the first day and keep them overnight and install software we need.

Congrats again, look forward to seeing you in a few months.

Yeah, I was wondering that. Do you think it would be taboo to cherry pick (by which I mean ctrl+c and then ctrl+v) from our personal statements/older essays? I might send Keli an email asking that.

From Phoenix: You certainly don’t want to reinvent the wheel so if you have essays from your admission applications that you would like to use, please do so. I know it seems like we should have that information however, financial aid is separate from the admissions process so the scholarship committee members do not have access to your previously submitted documentation and essays which is why we must ask you to submit it again.

thanks for addressing that guys. that was my other question lol

so for the section titled "Research Participation in 2010-2011"....first question "Have you been involved in research AND intend to continue in 2010-2011?"......does that only apply if I was involved in research THIS year or any year during college?

what throws me off are the two subsequent questions, which use the present tense: "Are you involved...." and "If you are involved..." ....makes me think that it is only referring to the present, as in this yr, right now. your thoughts?

bump!

Hi guys!

Hey NY, congrats, and welcome! We are excited to have you!

I'd say about half my class uses Macs, and everyone seems fine with it. I believe some people had to do something different in order to use Microsoft OneNote (which most of us use, I think), but I haven't really heard any complaints and the whole Mac versus PC war is still going strong, so the Mac people must be happy. Hopefully MadEvans will get on here and see your message, because he is better with computer questions than I am!

Good luck, see you in a few months. :)

Thanks guys! I figure I will computer shop around these next few months, as this old brick I am using is well on its way out the door.

And Jgold, I am hoping find at least somebody to watch the games with this summer! I am going to miss being in Yankee country during baseball season, but also excited to live so close to Chase Field though, as I just signed a lease for Camden.

So glad I found this thread... I feel like most of my questions have been answered just by browsing.

Thanks guys! I figure I will computer shop around these next few months, as this old brick I am using is well on its way out the door.

And Jgold, I am hoping find at least somebody to watch the games with this summer! I am going to miss being in Yankee country during baseball season, but also excited to live so close to Chase Field though, as I just signed a lease for Camden.

So glad I found this thread... I feel like most of my questions have been answered just by browsing.

I hate to say it, but I'm a red sox fan, and for that matter I'm a fan of any team that beats the Yankees. If the waitlist would show me some love maybe we'll watch the games together (eg watch the red sox win). Anyway, Chase Field is awesome and the campus really is in the center of everything. It's a really great place to go to school, congrats.

Glad we could help, that's a big part of the reason I started this thread (that and to have a place to kill time talking about random ****).

Glad we could help, that's a big part of the reason I started this thread (that and to have a place to kill time talking about random ****).

Yeah, because it's much better to kill time here than studying for med chem, right? :)

I like this thread because I can share random stuff like this:

1z67gxc.jpg

Yes, that's a guy performing an appendectomy. On himself. Because he's stranded in Antartica with no other doctors.

Lrk, I will not respect you as a surgeon or as a human being until you perform an operation of equal or greater difficulty on yourself.

Yeah, because it's much better to kill time here than studying for med chem, right? :)

Absolutely, I would rather do anything than study for med chem or any of my classes for that matter right now. I am just totally mentally checked out right now. Partly because graduation is right around the corner, but more importantly because I found out that with the money my wife and I have saved my dad will be able to help us obtain a mortgage to buy a home in Tucson for medical school (at basically no financial cost to him)! As excited as we are, that means we have an crapload of work ahead of us to find a house, make an offer, and get the deal closed in the coming weeks/months.

None of that will matter though if I can't f***ing pass med chem, so I better get back to studying. Yes, I know what you're all thinking, "but Logan, didn't you just study for an hour the morning of the last exam and pull off an amazing 45%?" Yes, I did, but I'm setting my sights a little higher this time, perhaps I can get a 60%. ***for those of you who don't know the grading in this class is scaled WAY down, so a 50% is a C before any kind of a curve*** Hooray for doing the bare minimum...god knows that's going to change next year.

anyone getting excited for second look!!?! i'm driving down to T-town thursday night and planning on spending the whole weekend there....that's how excited i am lol

spoke with tanisha and asked about attire.....she said business casual is fine

anyone getting excited for second look!!?! i'm driving down to T-town thursday night and planning on spending the whole weekend there....that's how excited i am lol

spoke with tanisha and asked about attire.....she said business casual is fine

I am getting super excited about second look! My wife and I are driving down tomorrow for the day actually, so she can apply for some jobs and we can look at houses to buy! Then, we're driving down on Friday for second look and staying Friday night with a med student, so we can look at more houses on Saturday. Speaking of driving down, where are we supposed to park for second look (I don't remember them telling us anywhere in particular)? I think I might just park in the UMC parking structure and pay by the hour.

Thanks for checking about the recommended attire. I might wear my sleeveless dress shirt show off the guns...not really. I'll just do what wikipedia tells me to do (as usual).

I am getting super excited about second look! My wife and I are driving down tomorrow for the day actually, so she can apply for some jobs and we can look at houses to buy! Then, we're driving down on Friday for second look and staying Friday night with a med student, so we can look at more houses on Saturday. Speaking of driving down, where are we supposed to park for second look (I don't remember them telling us anywhere in particular)? I think I might just park in the UMC parking structure and pay by the hour.

Thanks for checking about the recommended attire. I might wear my sleeveless dress shirt show off the guns...not really. I'll just do what wikipedia tells me to do (as usual).

haha...business casual always throws me off. i would prefer to wear jeans, but i'm pretty sure that doesn't fall under business casual. i'm all for your wearing the sleeveless dress shirt though haha

regarding parking....good question. haven't thought of that. i'd rather not pay a bunch more for parking at UMC....maybe i'll ask tanisha lol

haha...business casual always throws me off. i would prefer to wear jeans, but i'm pretty sure that doesn't fall under business casual. i'm all for your wearing the sleeveless dress shirt though haha

regarding parking....good question. haven't thought of that. i'd rather not pay a bunch more for parking at UMC....maybe i'll ask tanisha lol

Wikipedia told me you would say business casual is a source of much confusion. Wikipedia knows all...

You're right about parking, maybe I'll just have my limo driver circle the place for a few hours...

Wikipedia told me you would say business casual is a source of much confusion. Wikipedia knows all...

You're right about parking, maybe I'll just have my limo driver circle the place for a few hours...

wiki DOES know all.

a limo is a great idea. anybody else want to split one? lol. maybe an escalade stretch limo?

I like this thread because I can share random stuff like this:

1z67gxc.jpg

Yes, that's a guy performing an appendectomy. On himself. Because he's stranded in Antartica with no other doctors.

Lrk, I will not respect you as a surgeon or as a human being until you perform an operation of equal or greater difficulty on yourself.

His name's Dr. Leonid Rogozov. Here's the wikipedia article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonid_Rogozov

None of that will matter though if I can't f***ing pass med chem, so I better get back to studying. Yes, I know what you're all thinking, "but Logan, didn't you just study for an hour the morning of the last exam and pull off an amazing 45%?" Yes, I did, but I'm setting my sights a little higher this time, perhaps I can get a 60%. ***for those of you who don't know the grading in this class is scaled WAY down, so a 50% is a C before any kind of a curve*** Hooray for doing the bare minimum...god knows that's going to change next year.

Dude, relax. P = MD

Dude, relax. P = MD

Whoops, I just reread what I wrote and it probably came across like I was stressing. I'm not really stressing. I think I need a 30% on this test to get myself to a 50% average for the first three exams, which would mean I would need a 50% on the final to get a C in the class without any curve applied to grades. Since I pulled a 45% on the last test with only an hour of studying the morning of, I think I will be just fine. No stress on my side of things; just taking care of business...

His story was interesting. The stories in the "self-surgery" wiki were slightly more disturbing...such as the guy with the scrotal self-surgery...

There was a popular song about him in the '60s by Vladimir Vysotsky. About Rogozov, not about the scrotal guy. Ready for more fun in INP?

There was a popular song about him in the '60s by Vladimir Vysotsky. About Rogozov, not about the scrotal guy. Ready for more fun in INP?

Haha, uh...well INP is just now starting and I am still sitting at home, so I'd have to say no. I did not read the paper, because I decided it was more important for me to study for my med chem test tomorrow, rather than dedicate the time to read yet another INP paper and spend 75 minutes in class discussing it. I can probably write a so-so summary of it in less time than that would have taken. The only downside is that I now have two make up papers I have to write this week, plus I have to resubmit my second paper (apparently I forgot to mention two strains of rats were used in the vaccination against depression). Oh well, those shouldn't take too long, the key thing was finishing that stupid review paper we had to write. That took way too long.

Anyways, I hope class is going well right now...enjoy that alpha interferon, CSF, and lupus...:p