University of Arizona - Tucson & Phoenix Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You'll make a terrible doctor. :)))
JK

Members don't see this ad.

My wife and I just got back a little while ago from a visit down to Tucson today. We had a GREAT time today. We looked at a bunch of places to live (found some we really, really like) and my wife got a job interview! She was able to get it setup for Friday morning, so she'll be doing that before second look. Then we're off to the school to meet all of you fine people (I know you are all fine people, because if you weren't, you'd be going to the Phoenix campus :p). The morning after second look its back out to look for housing again...man, this would be a great week if I didn't have stupid school work to get caught up on...

My wife and I just got back a little while ago from a visit down to Tucson today. We had a GREAT time today. We looked at a bunch of places to live (found some we really, really like) and my wife got a job interview! She was able to get it setup for Friday morning, so she'll be doing that before second look. Then we're off to the school to meet all of you fine people (I know you are all fine people, because if you weren't, you'd be going to the Phoenix campus :p). The morning after second look its back out to look for housing again...man, this would be a great week if I didn't have stupid school work to get caught up on...

You are so mean, lrk. So mean, and so mistaken.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I currently live in a house right across Campbell from UMC. It is quite large, has 2 bedrooms, and a decent sized backyard. Plus it's a pretty nice neighborhood (for being in central Tucson). We are moving out towards the end of May and rent is $900/month. Let me know if anyone is interested! :)

Wow, there hasn't been much activity on this thread lately. I figure if I'm going to complain about something related to being accepted I had better do it here instead of upsetting those on the WL on the other thread. My complaint isn't major, its just that trying to find housing SUCKS!!! It doesn't help that I'm looking to buy, which is great, but unlike renting I have to be 100% sure about my decision. No moving after the lease is up.

This has led to a pretty crappy travel schedule. I drove down to Tucson last Wednesday and came back that night, drove back down Friday and came back Saturday night, drove back down yesterday morning and came back that night, and now my wife and I have plans to drive for the day again tomorrow. I'm seriously hoping we don't go back until Saturday, so I can be at home for two full days, which is something I haven't done for over a week.

Wow, there hasn't been much activity on this thread lately. I figure if I'm going to complain about something related to being accepted I had better do it here instead of upsetting those on the WL on the other thread. My complaint isn't major, its just that trying to find housing SUCKS!!! It doesn't help that I'm looking to buy, which is great, but unlike renting I have to be 100% sure about my decision. No moving after the lease is up.

This has led to a pretty crappy travel schedule. I drove down to Tucson last Wednesday and came back that night, drove back down Friday and came back Saturday night, drove back down yesterday morning and came back that night, and now my wife and I have plans to drive for the day again tomorrow. I'm seriously hoping we don't go back until Saturday, so I can be at home for two full days, which is something I haven't done for over a week.

Geez, lrk, that sounds quite stressful! Good luck with the search - hopefully you can enjoy some good at-home time soon. We are kind of half-assed looking to sell the one we bought last year, only to upgrade to something larger, but I don't think it's going to happen. Oh well.

Geez, lrk, that sounds quite stressful! Good luck with the search - hopefully you can enjoy some good at-home time soon. We are kind of half-assed looking to sell the one we bought last year, only to upgrade to something larger, but I don't think it's going to happen. Oh well.

There's no doubt about it that now is the time to buy or upgrade. I thought you just bought a place last year...or was that MadE? Maybe it was someone else that I made up in my head...

Anyways, it is quite stressful, and this time of the semester doesn't make my life any easier. I know it will totally be worth it though in the end. With May 1st coming up soon and the home-buyer tax credit expiring it should be easier for me to find a better deal on a home (less competition). When I do, you all will know about it.

There's no doubt about it that now is the time to buy or upgrade. I thought you just bought a place last year...or was that MadE? Maybe it was someone else that I made up in my head...

Anyways, it is quite stressful, and this time of the semester doesn't make my life any easier. I know it will totally be worth it though in the end. With May 1st coming up soon and the home-buyer tax credit expiring it should be easier for me to find a better deal on a home (less competition). When I do, you all will know about it.

We did, which is why in my previous post I said we were looking to sell the place we bought last year! :p Nah, I love this place, so we're not trying too actively to sell, it would just be nice to have more space. We have a condo right down the street from school, so I love the location - I'd really love to just get a larger condo in the same complex.

Walking around ASU's campus I keep seeing all these little kids with their gen chem lab posters...really takes me back. Seems like just yesterday I was one of those little pre-meds without a clue in the world. Gosh, brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it...:p...:rolleyes:...:mad:...stupid freshmen, freakin' idiots!

Anyone else having similar feelings about moving onward and upward to medical school (may not apply to UA students since it will just be more of the same for you)?

Walking around ASU's campus I keep seeing all these little kids with their gen chem lab posters...really takes me back. Seems like just yesterday I was one of those little pre-meds without a clue in the world. Gosh, brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it...:p...:rolleyes:...:mad:...stupid freshmen, freakin' idiots!

Anyone else having similar feelings about moving onward and upward to medical school (may not apply to UA students since it will just be more of the same for you)?

I can completely relate to your feelings. I am an engineering student but do a lot of work with the SOLS department and come across a lot of pre-med kids. Some have a lot of promise and some just deserve a swift kick. I keep telling them to be prepared for the roller coaster ride during the application cycle.
Nonetheless, freshmen always deserve a swift kick! clueless dumb asses!

Hi guys, I've finally made my move over to this thread, as I've been accepted to UA-Tucson!!!! Definitely stoked for this upcoming year, and excited to meet each of you.

Because of my late acceptance (I was #20 on the WL), and even shorter notice about Second Look Weekend, I didn't get the chance to attend, but heard it was awesome. What was the vibe from anyone who was able to make it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can completely relate to your feelings. I am an engineering student but do a lot of work with the SOLS department and come across a lot of pre-med kids. Some have a lot of promise and some just deserve a swift kick. I keep telling them to be prepared for the roller coaster ride during the application cycle.
Nonetheless, freshmen always deserve a swift kick! clueless dumb asses!

Most freshman/sophomore premeds (present company excluded, do we even still count as predmeds? MS0 sounds really stupid but after being forged in the fires of the admissions process I think we're entitled to a loftier title than premed) are annoying little snots who think that they're going to make the best chief neurosurgery resident because they can quote everything Dr. Cox says on Scrubs and have all the seasons of House on DVD. Juniors are a little bit better because the threat of the MCAT has forced them to realize they might not know sh#t, and senior premeds are the best because the admissions process has shown us for sure that we don't know sh#t.

Hi guys, I've finally made my move over to this thread, as I've been accepted to UA-Tucson!!!! Definitely stoked for this upcoming year, and excited to meet each of you.

Because of my late acceptance (I was #20 on the WL), and even shorter notice about Second Look Weekend, I didn't get the chance to attend, but heard it was awesome. What was the vibe from anyone who was able to make it?

There is actually a pretty good run down of second look on the secondary application thread. To clarify a little, the interactions with the students were awesome. The presentations by the faculty were so-so. They didn't really sell the school that well, but I get the feeling from the students that what they lack in salesmanship they make up for in creating a great learning environment.

Most freshman/sophomore premeds (present company excluded, do we even still count as predmeds? MS0 sounds really stupid but after being forged in the fires of the admissions process I think we're entitled to a loftier title than premed) are annoying little snots who think that they're going to make the best chief neurosurgery resident because they can quote everything Dr. Cox says on Scrubs and have all the seasons of House on DVD. Juniors are a little bit better because the threat of the MCAT has forced them to realize they might not know sh#t, and senior premeds are the best because the admissions process has shown us for sure that we don't know sh#t.

So damn true, especially the last part about us seniors...

Well said, Shep. Then you get to med school and realize more than EVER that you don't know sh#t! It's the greatest; you'll love it! :D

There is actually a pretty good run down of second look on the secondary application thread. To clarify a little, the interactions with the students were awesome. The presentations by the faculty were so-so. They didn't really sell the school that well, but I get the feeling from the students that what they lack in salesmanship they make up for in creating a great learning environment.

Dude, they're doctors, not salesmen! If I wanted to see salesmen, I'd watch some infomercials at 3AM. Besides, the student affairs dude was fuggin awesome!

Dude, they're doctors, not salesmen! If I wanted to see salesmen, I'd watch some infomercials at 3AM. Besides, the student affairs dude was fuggin awesome!

That's kind of what I was getting at. They may not have sold the school very well, but they seem to run the school very well based off of what I gathered from the students.

not sure if any of you guys saw this in the pre-allopathic arizona section, so if not. here it goes:

"as a reminder, this event is TOMORROW!!!! look for me and erik....that obviously isn't a good clue, now is it?....well, erik looks like the guy in his avatar...because he IS the guy in his avatar. and i'm josh. i'll be the curly haired guy drinking with erik. if you get lost or can't four peaks or me/us, call/text me at 480.707.2827.

see you all there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUBME

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=...ed=0CAkQnwIwAA

Website: http://www.fourpeaks.com/ (note...its the tempe location)

Date: Friday, April 30th, 2010

Time: 9 PM

if you are interested in going, please add your name to the list

List of People
Jturkel
EHandber
SmokeyGray
2 LEGIT 2 QUIT - maybe
Brrooother - maybe
lrkoehle - maybe
Shepardsun (Jeff)
ASUBME"

as a note, this is just a little get-together for whoever...rejected, waitlisted, MS0s, MS1s.....anyone interested in meeting others going to/at/interested in UA COM, whether its PHX or Tucson. And a good time where you can all finally match our faces to our handles/avatars/whatever they're called.

not sure if any of you guys saw this in the pre-allopathic arizona section, so if not. here it goes:

"as a reminder, this event is TOMORROW!!!! look for me and erik....that obviously isn't a good clue, now is it?....well, erik looks like the guy in his avatar...because he IS the guy in his avatar. and i'm josh. i'll be the curly haired guy drinking with erik. if you get lost or can't four peaks or me/us, call/text me at 480.707.2827.

see you all there!

Quote:

List of People
Jturkel
EHandber
SmokeyGray
2 LEGIT 2 QUIT - maybe
Brrooother - maybe
lrkoehle - maybe
Shepardsun (Jeff)
ASUBME"

as a note, this is just a little get-together for whoever...rejected, waitlisted, MS0s, MS1s.....anyone interested in meeting others going to/at/interested in UA COM, whether its PHX or Tucson. And a good time where you can all finally match our faces to our handles/avatars/whatever they're called.

I'm planning on it! I just hope I recognize you guys...

I'm planning on it! I just hope I recognize you guys...

You will. I'll be seeing you tomorrow morning so you can just find the annoying kid who followed you around all day who will be even more annoying with a couple beers in him.

And for those trying to find me at the bar at least, I think it's time to end the charade. I'm literally the exact opposite of Ronnie Coleman except I'm still a dude. So reverse every possible trait that Ronnie has and you have a pretty succinct mental picture of me.

And for those trying to find me at the bar at least, I think it's time to end the charade. I'm literally the exact opposite of Ronnie Coleman except I'm still a dude. So reverse every possible trait that Ronnie has and you have a pretty succinct mental picture of me.

Am I the only one turned on a little by that description? :confused:

see you all there!

Quote:

List of People
Jturkel
EHandber
SmokeyGray
2 LEGIT 2 QUIT - maybe
Brrooother - maybe
lrkoehle - maybe
Shepardsun (Jeff)
ASUBME"

The wife and I are getting up early tomorrow morning to drive down to Tucson for another fun day of house hunting, so it seems unlikely that I will make it out tonight at 9 p.m. I found out the hard way on Monday that house hunting tired sucks much, much more than house hunting on a good nights rest.

I've been meaning to tell you guys about this (not that I think any of you are as in love with food as I am), that show man vs food (my new favorite) did an episode in Tucson (the better med campus (I'm just kidding Phoenix people (oh and on a similar note, what's with me using all of these parentheses (wikipedia says they're intended to "contain material that could be omitted without destroying or altering the meaning of a sentence," but I think overusing them has clearly destroyed this sentence)))). Anyways, that show did an episode in Tucson. I can't wait to try some of the food he got, especially the challenge food. Apparently at Libby's on 4th they have this thing called the "OMG burger," which is a 12 patty, 12 cheese slice, massive cheeseburger that is free if you finish it in 20 minutes. Given the fact that tomorrow is my cheat day, I am thinking about giving this massive burger challenge a go. Maybe I won't...I don't know. Regardless, I say we get together before school starts next year and all try to take down this burger. Erik, I know you HAVE TO be up for this, right? C'mon!

Had a pretty awesome revisit day at Phoenix today, thanks to Brooooother who is just as awesome in person as she is on these boards.

The best part of the entire trip?
I'm still tingling with excitement, like a child who has met Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. "Gather round, children," I find myself saying to an imaginary group of eager faced youngsters. "Gather round and let me tell you the most magical truth about MadEvans: he's real."

I'm still tingling with excitement, like a child who has met Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. "Gather round, children," I find myself saying to an imaginary group of eager faced youngsters. "Gather round and let me tell you the most magical truth about MadEvans: he's real."

Hahahahahahaha looks like he's built quite a rep for himself. But I promise you he's human and I've got some great stories about him I'll save for blackmail in the future ;) (roommates for 2 yrs in college)

Had a pretty awesome revisit day at Phoenix today, thanks to Brooooother who is just as awesome in person as she is on these boards.

Hahahaha, awesome! I still struggle to call him by his real name, and often "Mad" just comes out of my mouth when I speak to him.

I'm glad you enjoyed your day, Shep! It was my pleasure to try to convince you of what a great school we have here. See you at Four Peaks tonight. :D

Hahahaha, awesome! I still struggle to call him by his real name, and often "Mad" just comes out of my mouth when I speak to him.

I'm glad you enjoyed your day, Shep! It was my pleasure to try to convince you of what a great school we have here. See you at Four Peaks tonight. :D

woooooot for 4 peaks! btw....ehandber...aka ERIK is bailing out on us.....lol. i'm calling him out online for it too haha. see you all there.

Sounds like the four peaks night was a blast. I'm sorry I couldn't make it, but my wife and I did get up early and go searching for houses yesterday. We found one we liked and made an offer on it. Now we have to wait and see if it gets accepted...

I was just wondering, but has anyone gotten their student ID or UA email set up yet? I called parking and transit to be put on the waitlist for one of the parking lots, and they wanted my UA student ID #.

I was just wondering, but has anyone gotten their student ID or UA email set up yet? I called parking and transit to be put on the waitlist for one of the parking lots, and they wanted my UA student ID #.

I don't have an ID yet. I was trying to do parking as well and ran into the same problem as you. I may just contact admissions and see what they recommend.

I am trying to figure out how to get my student ID # too. The website is now up, if someone figures out how to set up our ID # let me know. All the forms I see so far require one but do not provide one. :)

NEVERMIND..I found it :) yay

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out how to get my student ID # too. The website is now up, if someone figures out how to set up our ID # let me know. All the forms I see so far require one but do not provide one. :)

Is this for both campuses? And where is the website, and how did you figure it out?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can't stop laughing at this. :laugh:

I hope we were able to give you some good info so you can make your decision... Mid-May is approaching fast! Once you decide to come here, you look like you'll give our future radiologist a run for his money in the long hair department.

And, by the way, I called WashU... told them not to give you any scholarship money. Sorry, I gotta do what I gotta do to retain the good ones. :cool:

Hahahahahahaha looks like he's built quite a rep for himself. But I promise you he's human and I've got some great stories about him I'll save for blackmail in the future ;) (roommates for 2 yrs in college)

I'm actually not 100% human... 35% robot, in fact.

Note to self, do not gun for same residency spot as TeamZissou due to fear of severe black mailing.

What is the url of the website that they setup for us?

And, by the way, I called WashU... told them not to give you any scholarship money. Sorry, I gotta do what I gotta do to retain the good ones. :cool:

Well that explains why they haven't gotten back to me either with awards.....:mad:

I'm just kidding. At this point, I don't think there's a number that WashU could come up with (but you're welcome to try, guys, start with the low six figures) that would override the feeling that St. Louis just isn't the best fit for me. Barring a freak accident where half the incoming class at Mayo gets wiped out by a swarm of bees and they have to pull a bunch of kids off the alternate list, I think I'll be ending up at Phoenix. Which would be great, because between revisiting and having a new friend show me a condo that I've already fallen in love with I'm feeling like I belong at Phoenix. Still, if you want to seal the deal make me your sidekick and get a motorcycle with a sidecar that I can ride around in.

Well that explains why they haven't gotten back to me either with awards.....:mad:

I'm just kidding. At this point, I don't think there's a number that WashU could come up with (but you're welcome to try, guys, start with the low six figures) that would override the feeling that St. Louis just isn't the best fit for me. Barring a freak accident where half the incoming class at Mayo gets wiped out by a swarm of bees and they have to pull a bunch of kids off the alternate list, I think I'll be ending up at Phoenix. Which would be great, because between revisiting and having a new friend show me a condo that I've already fallen in love with I'm feeling like I belong at Phoenix. Still, if you want to seal the deal make me your sidekick and get a motorcycle with a sidecar that I can ride around in.

I feel the same way.. which condo complex did you look at? Somewhere downtown?

My wife and I made an offer on a house and it was accepted! Assuming the inspection goes well, we'll be homeowners in no time! We're thinking we should host a little pre-med school gathering sometime this summer. What do you all think? Phoenix people would be welcome too if they wanted to make the drive...

What is the url of the website that they setup for us?

This is just for tucson right? I hope I haven't been missing some big e-mails from Phoenix. Is parking for Phoenix hard to get, and if so, how do I go about getting a pass? I feel like the first day of school is going to roll around and I'm still going to have no idea what I should have been doing for the last 5 months in order to actually get started.

Artisan Village at 7th and Portland. Their condos make me very, very happy.

Those condos are really nice.. I would definitely be living there next year if I had a roommate/more money (most units seem to be 2br). It's gonna be great having the option to walk to class!

This is just for tucson right? I hope I haven't been missing some big e-mails from Phoenix. Is parking for Phoenix hard to get, and if so, how do I go about getting a pass? I feel like the first day of school is going to roll around and I'm still going to have no idea what I should have been doing for the last 5 months in order to actually get started.

Tara sent out an email to Phoenix students on Monday:

"Once I have received your intent to matriculate with the University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix, you and your classmates will be directed to a dedicated website designed for your entering class."

My opinion as to what you should be doing before school starts: enjoy your freedom :)

Tara sent out an email to Phoenix students on Monday:

"Once I have received your intent to matriculate with the University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix, you and your classmates will be directed to a dedicated website designed for your entering class."

My opinion as to what you should be doing before school starts: enjoy your freedom :)

Oh yeah, I guess I did get that e-mail. Thanks! And I took a year off so trust me, I've been enjoying my freedom the whole time :D... I'm a little nervous for it to end though.

I don't have an ID yet. I was trying to do parking as well and ran into the same problem as you. I may just contact admissions and see what they recommend.

Any luck finding your student ID number?

Last edited:
Any luck finding your student ID number?

Crap, I completely forgot to get that figured out. I have been distracted with finding housing and graduating that almost as soon as I was like "I need to get my UA student ID," then the thought was gone until now...