UNECOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I got my official ASA letter today. They were sent on the 26th and I got it this afternoon.

Here's to hoping that there is a lot of movement on these waitlists...

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I got my official ASA letter today. They were sent on the 26th and I got it this afternoon.

Here's to hoping that there is a lot of movement on these waitlists...

sorry if you already mentioned this, but when did you interview?

and sorry about the waitlist, hope you get some good movement

not to get your hopes down, but last year I was also on the ASA...the way it works is that they split people up into quartiles (i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th) and this is the way they rank you on the list. Last year I was on the 2nd quartile, and I did not get in for the fall...Its always good to hope, but I would also start to make other plans if I were on the ASA...good luck guys! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry if you already mentioned this, but when did you interview?

and sorry about the waitlist, hope you get some good movement

I interviewed 31 Jan. From a previous post about 112/125 spots had deposits already. I am wondering if anyone received an acceptance from this last adcom meeting or if everyone is getting ASA's. They have to be at the point of fine tuning the acceptances so as to not "overaccept." Yes, I know that not every acceptance turns into an actual seat, but they would have to be conservative at this point with acceptances.

thoughts?

I just interviewed yesterday and it was not pleasent!!

The interview was much more strict and unfriendly than what you'd think from SDN. Perhaps it was just the interviewers, but it really seemed they could care less about who I was...I wasn't asked any of the "what do you do to relax" and "what do you want to do after med school" questions. Only a twenty minute interview with some generic questions and then "Thanks, bye."

I was hoping this would be my opportunity to really shine, but instead my hopes just dashed on the rocks below. Did anyone else have this kind of experience?!

:confused:

Yeah, mine was like that also. The interviewer asked me 5 questions and that was it. When he asked if I had questions, I turned it around and made my questions as part of a conversation with him, so that took longer and I was able to get extra stuff about myself out there, but I still walked out feeling like, I did not show who I really was.

The atmosphere was definitely relaxed, though. All of my questions the interviewer started off by saying, only briefly tell me...

But again, I had a similar interview experience.

I interviewed a few days ago, and mine actually wasn't so bad. I think it really depends on the interviewers you had. I've also heard from some of the students there that even though they had "bad" interview experiences, they still got in. Try not to worry too much!

not to get your hopes down, but last year I was also on the ASA...the way it works is that they split people up into quartiles (i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th) and this is the way they rank you on the list. Last year I was on the 2nd quartile, and I did not get in for the fall...Its always good to hope, but I would also start to make other plans if I were on the ASA...good luck guys! :)

ppatel1185 -

so are you in now? Did you accept a spot for the following academic year?

I've also heard from some of the students there that even though they had "bad" interview experiences, they still got in. Try not to worry too much!

Agreed. UNECOM was my worst interview and yet was the school I was most interested in. Thankfully, fortune smiled upon me and I am able to look back and not worry about it (since I graduated a couple of years ago). Don't over read your interview.

Wook

The interview was much more strict and unfriendly than what you'd think from SDN. Perhaps it was just the interviewers, but it really seemed they could care less about who I was...I wasn't asked any of the "what do you do to relax" and "what do you want to do after med school" questions. Only a twenty minute interview with some generic questions and then "Thanks, bye."

I was hoping this would be my opportunity to really shine, but instead my hopes just dashed on the rocks below. Did anyone else have this kind of experience?!

The total length of my interview was exactly 6-minutes and I remember being very upset having had to travel very far to get to the interview and being in there for only 6-minutes. Although the interview environment itself was very relaxed, I don't think I answered more than 4-5 questions before they kicked me out. But I got ACCEPTED the week after my interview, so the moral of the story is that you shouldn't worry too much about your interview.

Good Luck to everyone and I hope I see all of you in August!

Last edited:
I interviewed back in September and my group was the first group of interviewees for this admission cycle. The total length of my interview was exactly 6-minutes and I remember being very upset having had to travel very far to get to the interview and being in there for only 6-minutes. Although the interview environment itself was very relaxed, I don’t think I answered more than 4-5 questions before they kicked me out. But I got ACCEPTED the week after my interview, so the moral of the story is that you shouldn’t worry too much about your interview.

Good Luck to everyone and I hope I see all of you in August!

Yeah that sounds like mine, except mine was maybe 15 minutes. Here's hopin'! Thanks everyone for the support. If I get ASA, I'm going next year, so hopefully I'll see you all this fall or next fall!

Love the icon by the way! House is definitely the kind of doctor I want to be :-D

Members don't see this ad :)
I was ASA listed for this year and am remaining optimistic as UNE is my top choice. Although I have heard that people who are ASA-listed are automatically accepted the following year, if not accepted initially, I have not been given this assurance with absolute certainty from anyone in adcom. From what I understand, the adcom will make that decision at a later date. Does anyone know this works? life in limbo isn't fun
Thanks all
Pete

I was ASA listed for this year and am remaining optimistic as UNE is my top choice. Although I have heard that people who are ASA-listed are automatically accepted the following year, if not accepted initially, I have not been given this assurance with absolute certainty from anyone in adcom. From what I understand, the adcom will make that decision at a later date. Does anyone know this works? life in limbo isn't fun
Thanks all
Pete

I was on ASA last year, and so for this year, I just submitted the AACOMAS and had my acceptance letter by SEPT...i think I also submitted a required letter of intenet by a certain due date during the summer...You are guaranteed admission...

Thanks all
Pete

I got word from Lisa Lane that the option of accepting a spot for the following year is something they've done in the past. However, the approval from the interim dean is still pending. The adcom DOES want to do this. If so, great. No worrying about all the applications this summer...just one.

Hey all,
so i interviewed at UNECOM on saturday.....ya ya, i know, late, but i was in kenya so didnt have much choice in the matter. ANYWAYS, does anyone know how long it will take me to find out.....esp since i'm hearing they mite only be able to give out ASA acceptances now since the class is more or less full. oh ya, and i'm canadian, therefore, tack on an extra week or two for mail delivery........lol :thumbup: gotta love uber snail mail

I don't know when the next adcom meeting is, but I know there is generally one at the end of the month. They might be doing them more frequently at this point -- interview season is in FULL swing.

has anyone heard any news lately?

Hi, I've been accepted to UNECOM, and I paid my $500 acceptance deposit, and then I paid a $1000 first tuition deposit.

I know that the $500 is non-refundable, but is the $1000 first tuition deposit refundable in the case of withdrawal?

I ask because I am torn between UNECOM and a school that costs half as much to attend. I know that price isn't everything when it comes to choosing a med school, but it is something....

Help, please!:scared::confused:

I believe it is refundable if you withdraw before a certain date....I think maybe somewhere in June...?

Hey, we were at the interview together, and yes I thought the interviewers were pretty cold... especially the 2nd year! I don't think that I was able to show who I really was because they seemed like they wanted question - answer - question - answer not a conversation... but I'm hoping that it was a chilly exterior and they actually did like what they heard... either way, hoping for best!

Hi, I've been accepted to UNECOM, and I paid my $500 acceptance deposit, and then I paid a $1000 first tuition deposit.

I know that the $500 is non-refundable, but is the $1000 first tuition deposit refundable in the case of withdrawal?

I ask because I am torn between UNECOM and a school that costs half as much to attend. I know that price isn't everything when it comes to choosing a med school, but it is something....

Help, please!:scared::confused:

Member870 -

Clearly cost is an issue. I work with docs right now who are still paying off med school loans, even 10 years down the road. In fact, you can push your payments out over 30 years. Imagine how much your loan payments will be. You can choose the UNE payment or the one that is 1/2 as much.

If you have an option, as you do, cost can be a big factor.

If you have an option, as you do, cost can be a big factor.

Yeah, I was accepted to UNE and another school. Even though I would love to stay in Maine, where I live right now, I have opted to go to the other school. There were a number of reasons that led to that decision, but cost was definitely one of them (the other school costs about $5000 less per year than UNE).

Hey all! I know someone who interviewed yesterday and heard that the next adcom meeting is actually this coming Monday, not the Monday after that!

Also, he had an amazing conversational experience. He was interviewed by a professor and the dean. I remember for my interview day, those same people were supposed to interview as well, but bowed out because there were only 5 of us who showed up. I think the other people just didn't have that same conversational style because they weren't used to conducting UNECOM interviews (they were a doctor and a 2nd year).

So...we should know by next Thursday or so!!! AAHH!!

:luck:

Oh, and yes, if you're ASA this year, you're pretty much guaranteed next year. James just said he was hesitant to say "Guaranteed" because obviously they don't want you if you turn into an ax murderer over the summer. They just want to cover themselves.

Blacjaguar -

They are going to rank the waitlist after all the interviews are done. Supposedly, that wasn't going to happen until late March, unless there are no more scheduled interviews.

Does anyone know if UNECOM sends rejection letters? They were not too clear on that point during the interview process. Thanks

they do, pj. Don't worry -- they don't leave you hanging like PCOM and NYCOM (unless the post office lost your mail).

Disclaimer: I added the PCOM and NYCOM comment because I didn't hear anything from either school when I applied. I had to call to see if my file was complete. I never got any sort of communication from either school until PCOM-Ga offered me an interview 6 months after my file was complete. I turned it down and never heard anything from PCOM-Pa. They might be better these days. I would certainly hope they would at LEAST send a rejection email for the secondary price they charge.

hahaha those schools haven't contacted me in any way either!

Don't worry -- they don't leave you hanging like PCOM and NYCOM (unless the post office lost your mail).

I heard from NYCOM when I went through the process and PCOM. Interestingly, PCOM let me know about 1 month prior to me starting at UNECOM that they wanted more information. :laugh:

Course, this was back in the day. You know, when I had to walk through 5 feet of snow, uphill both ways to school while walking my pet T. Rex.

Wook

To all those on ASA:

I just withdrew from UNECOM. Hopefully I can make at least one of you guys on the waitlist happy. Take Care and Good Luck!!!

bio

has anyone who interviewed in february heard back yet?

edit: just called and found out I'm on ASA. interviewed 2/26

I know of someone who interviewed last Thursday and just got his Waitlist letter today...I heard the committee met Monday. Soo...soon! Mine is waiting in my mailbox right now I'm sure (Grrr darn work!). Seems like they really do just have a big stack of Waitlist letters at this point.

Does anyone know if there is more than one waitlist at this point? I remember James telling me that there was an "Alternate list" that was a very low list, but the main waitlist seems to be called the Alternate list. Is this other list formed after the waitlist is tiered? Will the waitlist be tiered around mid-April maybe? Am I asking way too many questions?! :)

:(:(

Well, I went home and got my letter because I couldn't take it anymore, and it was an outright rejection! ARG! I figured since I got so far, they would at least give me a waitlist. Well, here's to emailing admissions, asking how I can better my application, and try-trying again next year!!!!

I will stalk them until I get in! :D

I'm sorry to hear the news Blacjaguar...hopefully they can give you some good feedback.

When I spoke to Lisa at admissions, she said that they will rank order the ASA list after their last day of interviews (3/20) and let the people on the list know about what percentile they're in. I don't know about there being two wait lists, but at least they are pretty open about how things work.

I'm sorry to hear the news Blacjaguar...hopefully they can give you some good feedback.

When I spoke to Lisa at admissions, she said that they will rank order the ASA list after their last day of interviews (3/20) and let the people on the list know about what percentile they're in. I don't know about there being two wait lists, but at least they are pretty open about how things work.

I just got my ASA letter today. I also interviewed on 2/26. Here's hoping that there is movement on the waitlists. I guess I'll have to wait until after the 20th to see where I stand. Is it a good idea to contact the admissions office and give a letter of intent or anything like that to let them know that if you are accepted you would most certainly go? Thanks

I also received my letter today telling me I'm on the ASA list, I have told them to keep me on the list, but I haven't taken Biochem yet, and I would rather not enroll it until I find out my chances of getting in, but it says in the letter that people enrolled in biochem or people who have already taken it will be ranked higher... I feel like I'm in a weird position... do I pay the $1100 to take it if I'm not sure if I'll even get in, or 100% sure that if I did get in I would go?

I have already been accepted at NYCOM, and before receiving this letter from UNECOM, I knew that if I got into both schools it would be a really tough decision for me... Do I stay on the waitlist and put off any decision? or do I take this as a sign and go to NYCOM? Ahh I just don't know what to do! Any advice/opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

I also received my letter today telling me I'm on the ASA list, I have told them to keep me on the list, but I haven't taken Biochem yet, and I would rather not enroll it until I find out my chances of getting in, but it says in the letter that people enrolled in biochem or people who have already taken it will be ranked higher... I feel like I'm in a weird position... do I pay the $1100 to take it if I'm not sure if I'll even get in, or 100% sure that if I did get in I would go?

I have already been accepted at NYCOM, and before receiving this letter from UNECOM, I knew that if I got into both schools it would be a really tough decision for me... Do I stay on the waitlist and put off any decision? or do I take this as a sign and go to NYCOM? Ahh I just don't know what to do! Any advice/opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

I was in a similar position. I called Lisa and she explained that not enrolling in the class would not affect my standing on the list. My take on the letter is that it says that vacancies will be offered to those currently enrolled in or in the process of rectifying their biochemistry requisite at the time the vacancy is offered, not in the actual process of ranking the waitlist. Thus, if you are number 13 and someone else is number 14 and you are not rectifying your requisite and they are, than they'll get the spot. Anyway, that's my take on it. That said, I chose to enroll in the course anyway, just because I like chemistry and I'm a geek. But that's me.

Aw yea congrats! Maybe I'll see you in 2009!

I was in a similar position. I called Lisa and she explained that not enrolling in the class would not affect my standing on the list. My take on the letter is that it says that vacancies will be offered to those currently enrolled in or in the process of rectifying their biochemistry requisite at the time the vacancy is offered, not in the actual process of ranking the waitlist. Thus, if you are number 13 and someone else is number 14 and you are not rectifying your requisite and they are, than they'll get the spot. Anyway, that's my take on it. That said, I chose to enroll in the course anyway, just because I like chemistry and I'm a geek. But that's me.

Okay, I'm really confused now. There was nothing in my ASA letter about biochem, or telling them that I'd like to stay on the ASA list/enrolling in the class, or sending in a deposit. Did they forget to put something in my letter, like, should I be calling them or something to tell them that I'd like to remain on the list???

Okay, I'm really confused now. There was nothing in my ASA letter about biochem, or telling them that I'd like to stay on the ASA list/enrolling in the class, or sending in a deposit. Did they forget to put something in my letter, like, should I be calling them or something to tell them that I'd like to remain on the list???

In my letter it just said notify Lisa Lacroix-Lane by March 15th that you want to remain on the waitlist. And then, because I haven't taken Biochem yet, it said that they would favor those who have taken it, or who are currently enrolled in it, when spots open up over people who haven't taken it yet. If this info wasn't in your letter I would just call them and ask if they want you do anything.

Bottom line: UNECOM requires biochem as a prereq to be completed prior to matriculation. If you really want UNECOM you could wait until they rank the ASA list and see if you're in the top or the bottom.

If you're in the top, if it were me, I'd enroll in a biochem course - that way should I be called, I can say "I'm in the class now and I'll be done before UNECOM starts August 4 (or whenever it is next year)". It would truly suck if you got called up and had to say "Gee, I don't fulfill your pre-req requirements 'cuz I won't have taken biochem before matriculation date" and thus get turned down.

If you're in the bottom of the ASA list, you can wait to take biochem and hope you get in next year.

Or you can withdraw if you don't want to take biochem at all.

Hopefully that clears up your options. :)

I am in exactly the same boat as you... identical! I was accepted at NYCOM and just got ASA at UNECOM. I'm also puzzled about whether to enroll in their biochem course or not, and how that affects my rank on the wait list. I originally had UNECOM has my top choice, but after interviews put NYCOM and UNECOM pretty much tie... and NYCOM accepted me! But on the flip side, I did feel more at home at UNECOM and also UNECOM also has an MPH dual degree.

Do you know how they know if you're currently taking biochem to change your rank on the waitlist? I need to let NYCOM know by the 24th! Tricky timing... if theyre ranking the waitlist after the 20th I probably wont find out where I fall until after that, and even if I do, I'll have wanted to start biochem before then... which means before I need to decide about NYCOM.

I had this glowing 3 days after getting accepted at NYCOM before realizing the implications of having to decide all this... oh well! At least we're going somewhere!!

Hey! Just to let you guys know, I've been taking the online Biochem course through UNECOM for a couple months now. It's technically a 13 week course, but you can lengthen or shorten a bit at will. I do have to warn you, though, that it's no easy task. You have to complete 2 3-hour lectures a week and go through many questions and practice tests. The only grade is the final! It's very interesting, but if you're working full time like I am or if you're already in school full time, it's quite the challenge.

Also, you are able to withdrawl with full tuition reimbursement within 14 days of enrollment. That'll add a couple extra weeks with those with tight deadlines :)

In my letter it just said notify Lisa Lacroix-Lane by March 15th that you want to remain on the waitlist. And then, because I haven't taken Biochem yet, it said that they would favor those who have taken it, or who are currently enrolled in it, when spots open up over people who haven't taken it yet. If this info wasn't in your letter I would just call them and ask if they want you do anything.

Okay, so this is what I get for calling to get my decision, I just confuse myself! After calling my boyfriend who is getting all of my mail in California and having him re-read the letter, apparently I'm "Alternate" not "ASA". When I spoke to James Gaffney, I didn't realize that there is more than one waitlist, and simply assumed I was ASA - I wish they had made this distinction more clear on interview day. Now I know why my letter is so different from all of yours :rolleyes:

Oh well. Looks like my future in Cali is becoming more certain by the day...

WOO-HOO! I just got my acceptance letter today!!!! After having been initially placed on the ASA list (interviewed Jan. 9th), it's quite a relief to be off and IN! I wish everyone on the list the best of luck in this regard.

I'm feelin' all of my ASA peeps, BTW. Being on it for about a month and a half was really taxing as this was, indeed, my first pick and I was putting all of my collective eggs pretty much in this one basket. I really needed this- with a wife and child, and having more than just myself to be thinking about- I can now say that we are all breathing a collective sigh of relief.

I wish all of you ALL the best of luck!

BTW, I wrote a restrained yet passionate LOI about two weeks ago, for what it's worth.

WOO-HOO! I just got my acceptance letter today!!!! After having been initially placed on the ASA list (interviewed Jan. 9th), it's quite a relief to be off and IN! I wish everyone on the list the best of luck in this regard.

I'm feelin' all of my ASA peeps, BTW. Being on it for about a month and a half was really taxing as this was, indeed, my first pick and I was putting all of my collective eggs pretty much in this one basket. I really needed this- with a wife and child, and having more than just myself to be thinking about- I can now say that we are all breathing a collective sigh of relief.

I wish all of you ALL the best of luck!

BTW, I wrote a restrained yet passionate LOI about two weeks ago, for what it's worth.

Congrats on that acceptance!

For the rest of you:
I spoke to Lisa a few days ago, and she said the major movement on ASA will begin pretty much in August. She also told me to keep emailing her/"bugging" her if UNECOM was really my top choice. When deciding to fill a spot, she usually picks the people that really want to be there, so especially IF you dont rank in the first quartile, and really really wanna go there, email her every once in a while (that does NOT mean every day lol). And she also said (obviously) there are no guarentees. If no one withdraws, everyone on ASA is outta luck. But then theres the almost promise of an in for the following year. Hope that helped clear up some stuff for you guys

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but I just want to say that only one person that I know of in my class got in in August. The majority of the folks in my class who got off the waitlist got off in May, June, and first part of July, with June and early July having the biggest number of folks coming of the waitlist in my class.

The thing about waitlists: waitlist movement for MD schools begins May 20 or so. As folks are required to pare down their acceptances to one and one only (on May 15 for MD schools), spots open up. As folks give up their DO spots for the MD spots, DO waitlist movement occurs.