UNECOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Class of 2012!

Are any of you going to be able to make it to Osteoblast on Friday? I don't know if I can make it (considering I live in MD), but just wondering if people not in the ME/MA/NH/VT/CT area is going to Osteoblast this year.

John

Members don't see this ad.

Hi John,
I will be attending Osteoblast on Saturday, though I am coming from MA so it is a bit less of a trip for me :)

Im flying up friday from Florida

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us living vicariously through you, at which Osteo"cyte" is Osteoblast being held? Is it on campus?

For those of us living vicariously through you, at which Osteo"cyte" is Osteoblast being held? Is it on campus?

Yes, I think it will be held at the Student Center (by the way, the old man in me loves the pun ;))

I will be there on Saturday...I think it is in the gym...

I believe Dean Gimple will be there as well. They're having a "cast your friend" table, OMM treatments, and I don't know what else. I'll be studying for my endocrine exam. Enjoy Osteoblast.

What is a "cast your friend" table?

I believe you get to actually put a cast on a friend of your choosing. Then you cut it off - I would assume you can keep it. But I don't know. I'll be studying pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism and other disorders of mineral homeostasis/metabolism.

Interesting...not sure I see the allure, but to each his/her own

Hello!
I'm a Maine resident, a bit older (29), just got out of the military and planning on entering the UVM post bac pre-med program this summer.

I noticed UVM's program has a linkage with UNECOM. Has anyone here gone through this program/linkage, and can you speak a little about it? I mean, in terms of the process involved in taking advantage of the linkage, chances of acceptance, etc?

I would really like to go back to Maine for med school so I'd love to do this linkage. My only other concern is regarding residencies.. I spoke with an ER doctor who I volunteer for and he (an MD) told me not to go into an osteopathic program because DO's are discriminated against for residencies and by MD's in general. Before you yell at me, I didn't say this; he did, but he also went to Yale Med School and has a reputation for being conceited anyway. Can any current UNECOM students tell me what my chances are of getting into an allopathic residency such as general surgery or anesthesiology? I currently live near Dartmouth and I'd love to go to DHMC but even though the head of orthopedic surgery there is a DO, they have only 1-2 DO residents there. I'd greatly appreciate any input!!

Hello!

I would really like to go back to Maine for med school so I'd love to do this linkage. My only other concern is regarding residencies.. I spoke with an ER doctor who I volunteer for and he (an MD) told me not to go into an osteopathic program because DO's are discriminated against for residencies and by MD's in general. Before you yell at me, I didn't say this; he did, but he also went to Yale Med School and has a reputation for being conceited anyway. Can any current UNECOM students tell me what my chances are of getting into an allopathic residency such as general surgery or anesthesiology? I currently live near Dartmouth and I'd love to go to DHMC but even though the head of orthopedic surgery there is a DO, they have only 1-2 DO residents there. I'd greatly appreciate any input!!

The discrimination tends to be the older generation of doctors. With that being said, the discrimination is slowly disappearing. Very slowly in some areas.

I am a soon to be 3rd year resident at an allopathic Emergency Medicine program who applied only to Osteopathic Programs for med school. I would still do it again, even if there is some bias still in place. It's interesting that someone from Yale would make this comment when about 1/5 of their current residents are foreign medical grads and that one of their previous EMS Fellows is a D.O. (see below)...

Previous Fellows
2001-2002: Bethany A. Cummings, MA DO – now Regional Medical Director, Lord Fairfax Emergency Medical Services Council, Winchester VA.

To get into surgery or anesthesia, you are going to have to work hard and try to do well. If you do this, you should be able to match into these specialties. You would also have to do this if you went to an allopathic program. In the end, I would choose a program that worked best for me. UNECOM is a good school and prepares you well, but you still need to work hard to get into the the residency of your choice.

Wook

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, you have to factor in that there are less DOs graduating every year than MDs. Out of those, some of the DOs stick with osteopathic residencies, especially for something like orthopaedic surgery. So, while 1-2 residents doesn't seem like a whole lot, you have to think in relative terms. We (or I) have no idea how many DOs applied for positions at that location. If it were only 3 or 4 then that is a pretty strong showing. If it were 100+ then maybe not.

Most, keyword being most, respectable physicians will view you fairly objectively based on your work ethic and knowledge. That being said, I've seen quite a few MDs get a bad taste in their mouth because of the crap performance of 1 or 2 DOs, where the same performance they'd probably shrug off with an MD. My dad was that way for a long time till he got some new partners that were DOs and realized they were talented and hardworking physicians. Elitism is something you'll encounter no matter where you are, so I wouldn't take it too much to heart. Surgery and anesthesia are both perfectly doable whatever school you go to. It is your work ethic and determination that decides it in the end.

Syncopeme-

I am about to finish at UVM and I just got out of the service...

Shoot me an email and we can chat. Just click on my username and it will give you some options.

Since other vaguely school-related topics such as housing (which, BTW, I'm not knocking- I'm looking for a 3br in the area) seem to be popping up, I thought I'd add this one: Anyone have any recommendations for good nursery schools in the area?

Not joking by the way, but I guess I may be in the minority of the upcoming class of 2012 (or 2011, 2010, or 2009) in regards to the kid department. . . looking forward to meeting other 2012ers with kids, if any of you are out there!

Green Doc,
I will be in your class...I have three girls 10,8, and 5. I am commuting from Southern NH. Life is gonna be fun!!!

Since other vaguely school-related topics such as housing (which, BTW, I'm not knocking- I'm looking for a 3br in the area) seem to be popping up, I thought I'd add this one: Anyone have any recommendations for good nursery schools in the area?

Shooting Star pre-school renting from the Unitarian Universalist Church in Kennebunk is an excellent choice. My daughter loved it and the person who owned it.

Wook

Hey syncopeme,

I am a maine resident who did the uvm post bac program and got the linkage i am starting this fall at UNECOM.

PM or email me with any questions

Green Doc,
I will be in your class...I have three girls 10,8, and 5. I am commuting from Southern NH. Life is gonna be fun!!!

Wow, I am sincerely impressed, and look forward to sharing this experience of parenting while in medical school with you!

Shooting Star pre-school renting from the Unitarian Universalist Church in Kennebunk is an excellent choice. My daughter loved it and the person who owned it.

Wook

Thanks for the recommendation, Wook. I'll definitely look into it. We were a little worried that we would behind the eight-ball (application time-wise) on getting our little girl into school in the fall, but it seems that there are quite a few schools still accepting applications. So, we'll see. I hope it's no where near as stressful as the process of applying to medical school!!!

I can't wait to meet everyone...We'll be able to have the girls meet at the BBQ before school starts!

Good luck y'all with kids - I went through it with two of my own. There oughta be a law that says the pre-teen girls are NOT allowed to get smarmy (i.e. talk-back, have issues with MOM) during medical school. Oy.

Parent power. :thumbup:

I am looking forward to 3 teenage girls while I am in residency!!!Just kidding...

I can't wait to meet everyone...We'll be able to have the girls meet at the BBQ before school starts!

Now THAT sounds like a BBQ. Kids running around, beer, softball, chicken. . . mmmmmm, chicken.

Now THAT sounds like a BBQ. Kids running around, beer, softball, chicken. . . mmmmmm, chicken.

Excellent! Hopefully a lot of tomato-based sauce and white shirts as well!

Hey guys

I just sent a letter to UNECOM rejecting my acceptance :(. so a spot should open up soon on the ASA.
hopefully whoever gets in, you love it there. i had a really hard time turning it down, but I guess i just had to follow my heart, and it didnt lead to New England.

good luck to everyone

congrats docjulez.
On behalf of those on the ASA who emphatically wish to attend UNECOM, thank you for sending in your letter early and not exacerbating an already time consuming process.
Best of Luck !!:)

Alright, bear with me. I'm currently living in one of the rougher towns in central Connecticut, so I'm not coming from a place of incredible judgement. That said, I and my wife just took a trip up to Biddeford for a couple of rental showings in Biddeford and Saco, and we're feeling a little discouraged about our options for rental. I'm not a single student anymore, so I'm not as flexible as I used to be. At this point, we're looking for what might be a rental impossibility; 2-3 bedroom (prefer 3), with W/D hookups, yard space, storage, in a nice (ish, at least) neighborhood, for $1200 (including heat), $1000 (not including heat) or less, that ACCEPTS DOGS. I realize this is a school-related forum, but I need some help. Does anyone know a good rental placement company to work with, or have any other ideas as far as areas to go (willing to travel 25-30 minutes)? Specifically, any renters with families, and how have you faired? Anyone staying in Portland?

AHHHH!!! Thanks for any and all help.

Alright, bear with me. I'm currently living in one of the rougher towns in central Connecticut, so I'm not coming from a place of incredible judgement. That said, I and my wife just took a trip up to Biddeford for a couple of rental showings in Biddeford and Saco, and we're feeling a little discouraged about our options for rental. I'm not a single student anymore, so I'm not as flexible as I used to be. At this point, we're looking for what might be a rental impossibility; 2-3 bedroom (prefer 3), with W/D hookups, yard space, storage, in a nice (ish, at least) neighborhood, for $1200 (including heat), $1000 (not including heat) or less. I realize this is a school-related forum, but I need some help. Does anyone know a good rental placement company to work with, or have any other ideas as far as areas to go (willing to travel 25-30 minutes)? Specifically, any renters with families, and how have you faired? Anyone staying in Portland?

AHHHH!!! Thanks for any and all help.

Don't be discouraged, check your PM box :)

Green Doc, my fiance and I are going to be looking in Portland... we've talked to a couple of realtors (found 'em on Craigslist), but they've told us that it's too early to be looking and we should wait until late June / early July. We're looking in the exact same price range, hoping to live in the West End. No dogs, though, just cats (probably a bit easier to find). I can give you the names of the realtors we've talked to if you'd like, just send me a PM. Good luck!

I must admit, we ended up buying to suit our needs and budget. And our mortgage is less than any rent we were quoted. (the utilities are a bit more, but we have a nice place and two kids to boot).

Is that a good idea the way the market is going right now? I heard that even though home prices are falling, it is getting near impossible to get a mortgage

i have to say, I would be careful about buying now,especailly if you're not sure about sticking around 3rd year. The market is not great. There's a realty office in my building and many of the properties have had to lower the selling price and have been siting there for awhile. There are plenty of lovely apartments that aren't that expensive. Especially if you live over by USM, or in the east end.

Which leads me to my next question- what are the more desirable (read: not necessarily rich, just hip, diverse, etc.) areas of Portland?

well, the Old Port I think is usually the first place that fits that description. However, if any area is going to be expensive, it will be that. Though, you can get very close for less money. The west end is super nice, but more of a neighborhood, and not shops, restaurants, etc. It has a mixed bag of prices.

I also suggest the newspaper for apts. Portland stills uses that route quite a bit.

I got an email from Lisa this week. So far there has been NO movement on the ASA list. She said that it was very unusual to have zero movement at this point but hopefully the next few weeks will be better.

Dave

thanks for the update dave, that's why i came here today. wish it were better news though +pity+

Should start moving soon. Generally most movement occurs when allo folks have to start dropping their multiple acceptances and allo waitlists start moving.

Soooo. . . how useful is a PDA in the first year (or second, for that matter)? Just trying to get a sense of whether or not I'll be shelling out $300+ for something I'll use twice.

Soooo. . . how useful is a PDA in the first year (or second, for that matter)? Just trying to get a sense of whether or not I'll be shelling out $300+ for something I'll use twice.

I never needed one until my 3rd year. I would hold off until you are in the clinical years.

Wook

A PDA is listed as "required for COM students" in a packet sent in the mail, so it's good to know that this requirement doesn't necessarily need to be obliged until year three- considering all the other money I'm shelling out right now.

A PDA is listed as "required for COM students" in a packet sent in the mail, so it's good to know that this requirement doesn't necessarily need to be obliged until year three- considering all the other money I'm shelling out right now.

Green Doc:

Let's see if anyone more recent (eg ShyRem, etc.) has any thoughts on this as well. My information is about 4-5 years out of date, but unless something has changed drastically, it would IMHO still be accurate.

Wook

Most folks didn't use their PDA for the first two years. I was juggling my schedule, my husband's schedule, my two kids' schedules, and I found it absolutely invaluable (especially for studying while waiting for my kids' plays, concerts, etc. to start/intermissions).

But if you don't have an insane life, you won't need it. Just remember, that money is budgeted in your first year, and you'll get it in your first year. Make sure you put that money aside and don't touch it so you can afford it third year.

I'm applying to UNECOM this summer, and my wife will be trying to match residency at Maine Medical Center. We live in Texas now and are ready for a culture/climate change. I noticed the school website mentions a "slight" preference for New England-area residents, but then points out that 70% of matriculants are from NE states, which sounds like more than a slight preference. Am I at a great disadvantage applying from Texas with no NE connection?

I was from Colorado with no connection. I was accepted the first week of October. In fact, there are a bunch of us from Colorado. Apply. You might be surprised.