UNECOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm applying to UNECOM this summer, and my wife will be trying to match residency at Maine Medical Center. We live in Texas now and are ready for a culture/climate change. I noticed the school website mentions a "slight" preference for New England-area residents, but then points out that 70% of matriculants are from NE states, which sounds like more than a slight preference. Am I at a great disadvantage applying from Texas with no NE connection?

While I don't have the stats to confirm it, a lot of schools are like that. People from the region are generally more likely to attend a school in their region. I hope its not a disadvantage..I'm applying too. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

there are plenty of folks fom far away in my class, and even some from texas

I'm applying to UNECOM this summer, and my wife will be trying to match residency at Maine Medical Center. We live in Texas now and are ready for a culture/climate change. I noticed the school website mentions a "slight" preference for New England-area residents, but then points out that 70% of matriculants are from NE states, which sounds like more than a slight preference. Am I at a great disadvantage applying from Texas with no NE connection?

I agree with ShyRem. We had a bunch of people in my class that were from out of state (from Africa, NY, CT, VT, TX, GA, CO, NH, MA, VA, NJ, PA, etc). Don't sweat it. Send in the app and present your best side.

Wook

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with ShyRem. We had a bunch of people in my class that were from out of state (from Africa, NY, CT, VT, TX, GA, CO, NH, MA, VA, NJ, PA, etc). Don't sweat it. Send in the app and present your best side.

Wook

What? No one from UTAH? hmmm...Guess I am going to putting UNECOM on my app list...hehehe

Thanks for the encouragement. I should have a reasonably strong app to present. Just waiting to hear back on the MCAT, which I took today.

It's weird, my wife and I have neither been to Maine but we're really excited about the idea of moving there. We're avid snow skiiers and I own a sailboat, so recreationally at least we should fit right in.

Since the purpose of this forum is not listing, I'll keep this brief, and welcome anyone who's interested to PM me. I'm trying to help a landlord out who I left hanging on a great 3 bedroom house in a quiet setting in Saco after finding a place that was only SLIGHTLY better in Scarborough. It's VERY affordably priced and available soon.

while we're on the topic, if anyone needs a roommate, don't hesitate to PM me

Wahoo....I just finished Biochem...thank goodness thiat is over!! What a relief....

Great to hear that things are going well for people here at UNECOM. I am currently a first year student in the thralls of head and neck anatomy as well as a few other courses. UNECOM is a great school and was my top choice when I applied. I am pretty involved in school activities and would love to answer any questions anyone might have. UNECOM, through RSAS, also has a service where there are many (over 130) 1st and 2nd year students who are willing to answer questions any incoming students might have.

If I may, here are a few great things about UNECOM that you may not have known:
  • Full cadaveric dissection of the entire body w/4 people per cadaver
  • Great, top of the line anatomy lab with natural light, plasma tv's, cross sections and many other great things
  • Student reviews before every exam based on past material
  • Full compilation of old exams available for student use as well as Note Service - scribed and recorded files of every lecture
  • Tutoring service available to all students
  • Amazing OMT professors who are the top of their fields
  • Incredibly supportive faculty and classmates!!! I cannot emphasize this fact enough!
  • No grades! Just pass and fail. No competition. Even the gunners want to help everyone.
  • Beautiful campus overlooking the ocean. Amazing sunrises!!

UNECOM feels like home. Medical school is going to be one of the most trying and taxing endeavors you will ever face. But at UNECOM, there truly is a feeling that everyone can make it. Everyone is going to help each other out so that we ALL can succeed.

The administration and admissions committee knows who I am on this website and I do not hide my feelings about the school whatsoever. UNECOM was and IS right for me. Good luck with your future goals. Maybe I will see you at an interview later this year or even next year in class.

Take care,
Rob
Come on Rob, you know that the information that you posted is incorrect. What are/were you thinking? Do you seriously believe what you wrote? The past exams are now more than 4-5 years old, and the MS II lead reviews are mostly for the more challenging exams. I don't recall reviewing phys, embryo, or path with the first years. In all fairness, when writing a biased message, atleast let the future students know your feelings and don't send them to the wolves. Also, I do appologize if you have corrected what you have written and I have not noticed it. If you feel that I am in anyway off base, please email me. Steve Menard

What's the housing like out there for married folk?

What's the housing like out there for married folk?

All Grad students, med students included, are on their own for housing. UNECOM does however provide a list of available apartments offered by local landlords