UNECOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my official acceptance letter today...so, they're on their way. :)
Although, the rest of you may or may not have a few more days, given that I actually live in Maine so...shorter distance.

Members don't see this ad.

Got my official acceptance letter today...so, they're on their way. :)
Although, the rest of you may or may not have a few more days, given that I actually live in Maine so...shorter distance.

My mail doesnt come until 4-5PM i have to wait allllll day to see. Im in VT so I hope the time frame is relatively the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Posted this on the Class of 2012 thread, but it might be more useful here:

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Congratulations to those of you who have already been accepted. Use these next few months before school starts to relax, visit friends and family, and simply have fun. Once classes start, you will find any spare time lacking and you might even feel guilty if you arent studying. Dont get me wrong, UNECOM is an amazing place. I love it here and wouldnt want to be anywhere else!!!

A second note to those of you who may still be waiting on an interview. I interviewed January 23rd and didnt hear until April 6th. I was accepted as a Space Available student, a status that I wasnt quite sure what it was. ASA status means you are accepted, but currently, the class is full, or maybe you might not fit with the personalities of the current class. UNECOM does an amazing job at matching the personalities of our classmates, and I truly enjoy every member of our class.

Keep plugging along. Keep your chin up. Keep on keeping on. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to drop me a line. With classes and upcoming exams, it most likely will take me a while, but I will try to answer any questions. Take care everyone.

-Rob Parker
VP Class of 2011, UNECOM
President, Clown Patch Club

Oh, and to talk briefly about Osteoblast, I can mention a bit about it. Osteoblast is a half day event where all the clubs at the school put up booths to demonstrate things that they have done, pass out information about the club, and to bring all the students and instructors at the school together before the end of the year. Additionally, SGA (Student Government) passes out end of the year awards. Osteoblast has only been going on for now this the 3rd year, so its still a work in progress. But this year, we are really trying to aim at involving more and more accepted students, and kinda showcasing all the things that UNECOM has to offer. There will be a booth set up by the Orientation Committee targeted specifically at incoming students where you can ask tons of questions, and hopefully get lots of information. We are also trying to involve the community more this year, and set up a small health fair with BP screening, Glucose testing, nutrition info, you get the picture.

So thats the gist of Osteoblast. I am currently the VP for the 1st year class, and have been to the last two Osteoblasts. Its a fun day. Come and be open. Dont be shy. Ask questions. Eat the food that the Army is providing, and get to know your future classmates.

Sorry for the wicked long email, but I am currently in the middle of a cardio phys lecture about control of blood pressure, and am thinking about nothing but the Superbowl this weekend and the Patriots making history!!!
Take care,
Rob

I am coming back to Maine!!!!!! I was accepted today... interviewed on Jan 10th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello! I just found this site...so amazing!

I have an interview at the end of February...seeing so many people already accepted is pretty discouraging. I'll be happy with an ASA if it means I can definitely go next year, but I'd love to go this year. My life is passing by! :)

What are the chances of me getting at least wait-listed at this point? This is the first time I've applied to med school and I'm doing it post-bacc so with no adviser. I didn't realize I had to get everything in so early!!

Congrats Will and others who have been accepted! Alas, I've been waitlisted. Bummer. The "Accept Space Available" letter that arrived in my mailbox this morning mentions that "at the current time we do not have any vacancies." I hope to be joining you in August, but for now the journey continues for me. . .

I have an interview at the end of February...seeing so many people already accepted is pretty discouraging. I'll be happy with an ASA if it means I can definitely go next year, but I'd love to go this year. My life is passing by! :)

What are the chances of me getting at least wait-listed at this point? This is the first time I've applied to med school and I'm doing it post-bacc so with no adviser. I didn't realize I had to get everything in so early!!

Your chances totally depend on you. There are plenty of folks in my class that got in after Feb, and a whole bunch who got in from the waitlist (including one guy who got in literally the first day of class). Just relax, the interview is really laid back. They're looking for a good "fit" for a class once you get to the interview, so really they just want to know about YOU. Totally non-stress. Really. And don't get discouraged. You got an interview - that's a really good start!

Thanks ShyRem! That makes me feel better!

Good luck everyone...hopefully I'll see some of you soon!

;)

I thin someone asked about Histo. If you put in the time, you will learn alot of histo. I think the biggest issue is more that there used to 4 exams, and now we have 2. Dr. Bell said he used to drop the lowest test, but now he can't. We've had 2 quizzes which are saving me. I think it's a very curved class, from what I hear, b/c the lab portion is really hard to pass. The written is decent, so that's usually what saves most people. Some of the slides are really old and crappy, but the profs in lab are very helpful and generous with their time.

I didn't think lab was "too hard" to pass -- I passed without the curve (but I cried about it with worry). And I don't have a ton of time to spend in the lab looking at tons of slides. WebPath was my friend. Another website was good too --- it was listed in the "helpful sites" page that we hand out during orientation.

If you apply yourself correctly, you won't need a curve for any class. I do know some folks who have needed the curve to pass. I've never needed it. And I'm not particularly brilliant; I don't spend hours studying. I have a family, I have a life. But I study smart. I make the most of the time I do have. And I find resources that work for my study habits. BRS books and MRS books are my friends. Audio at double speed. Websites for path, heme, phys, neuro. All wonderful. I also have to say I'm not the one that high passes everything. I'm not a gunner.

I don't say these things to brag - I'm not usually one to toot my own horn. Just don't panic. Study hard, study smart. Eat well. Sleep. Don't be a barfly. And you'll be fine. Don't count on a curve -- not all classes are curved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, in our class there was a good percentage of the class that did fail the practical, and more that almost did. I really attribute some of any increased struggles in our class to the change in exam scheduling, etc to blocks. It definitely threw a wrench in the theory that correct studying will lead to a pass without a curve. This is my personal perspective, of course. No one can ever know the situation of the entire class. Hopefully, by next year some of that will be ironed out, we'll learn the best ways to approach that scenario, and we'll be able to pass those tips along to you. There will be alot of major curriculum changes next year. I've heard rumblings that anatomy will not only be much longer, but integrated with Histo and maybe Embryo. I think that would be great.

As far as biochem goes, there is definitely effort for change going on. We'll just see.

...There will be alot of major curriculum changes next year. I've heard rumblings that anatomy will not only be much longer, but integrated with Histo and maybe Embryo.

Interesting...this iteration seems to happen every 3-5 years. The curriculum is definitely dynamic.

It seems that every 3-5 years they integrate histo/embryo/anatomy and the curriculum gradually moves away from this after student feedback. The curriculum committee does a good job of incorporating the student feedback to maximize the educational experience.

Wook

Wondering if there are any other acceptances trickling in. . . A recent poster cited the admissions committee as stating that they had hit the 90+ mark. Could UNECOM 2012 already be full-up? My ASA letter mentioned that there were no longer any vacancies.

I think the only folks to absolutely know the answer to that question and not be guessing or perpetuating rumor would be someone in Admissions.

is unecom done interviewing? damn, i thought i had a chance there. lol.

i don't think they're done interviewing... at least i hope not, because I have one scheduled for Feb 26

Hold up, hold up, before it's my fault that this all goes down the wrong path. I am almost completely sure that the school is still interviewing. I spoke with Lisa in admissions a few days ago and she mentioned that the rankings for the ASA list (waitlist) wouldn't be out until after the interview cycle is over (at least mid-March). That said, I was wondering, as you may be, whether or not all the seats in the class have deposits placed on them. As ShyRem stated, the best way to find that out is to call admissions. For me, it's basically the same difference (although a little more hurtful :cry: if all the seats have not had deposits placed on them), and finding out would only be a matter of pride. Bring on the waitlist!!!!! :horns:

Folks, don't get discouraged. Waitlist movement is typically pretty major at all med schools (there was an anomaly at allo schools a couple of years ago that stunned even the adcoms where there was almost NO waitlist movement). It is not unusual for people to put down several deposits and then make decisions later in the year, opening seats.

Go to your interview. The majority of waitlist movement occurs after May 15.

Hi! I have an interview at UNECOM at the end of February too, so you're not alone!

Hi BlacJaguar! I have an interview at UNECOM at the end of February too, so you're not alone!

Which waitlist are you talking about - pre or post interview? Do they interview everyone they are even considering to waitlist? Or, do they send out Pre-interview waitlists mid-March?

Hi BlacJaguar! I have an interview at UNECOM at the end of February too, so you're not alone!

Yea! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I didn't know people often put down deposits and then pull out to go somewhere else. That makes me feel better about the "90 people already put down deposits" issue!

:luck:

Yea! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I didn't know people often put down deposits and then pull out to go somewhere else. That makes me feel better about the "90 people already put down deposits" issue!

:luck:
Yeah, if I get into UNECOM I will be one of those people who loses the deposit money, I have been accepted at NYCOM and the deposit was due Feb 8th so I didn't have much choice in the matter, but I would rather go to UNECOM, so if I get accepted I will probaby be pulling out of NYCOM.
I'm getting pretty excited for the interview though, I hope it goes well!!

is UNECOM done giving interview invites?

As of 5pm last night, Dean Kelley, the Dean of students for COM, stated that currently there are 114 deposited students for the class of 2012. Does that mean that all 114 will matriculate? Definitely not. Upwards of 1/4 chose to either attend other schools, defer or join the circus in Russia, which is a pretty sweet circus by the way. As far as still giving interview invites, I am not certain. You would have to contact James Gaffney or Lisa Lane about that one.

We met last night as orientation leaders for the first time and we seem to have a pretty good group. Over 70 people applied so you can tell how dedicated the class of 2011 is to making the class of 2012 have a great beginning. You will be getting some info shortly, probably mid March, regarding Osteoblast and orientation so look for it. Enjoy your last few months of freedom as I enjoy shoveling out during another snow day. Cheers.
-Rob

Does this mean that is we have already interviewed and are waiting for a response we are bound to get either rejection or waitlist. That is really dissapointing.
Just want to make sure I am not misinterpreting something!~

No, ehcdn. Most medical schools offer acceptances to, and receive deposits from, more students than they have seats. It is not uncommon for half the class to come in off the waitlist. However, like most medical schools, UNE will send out more than 120 acceptances, knowing that at least 25% of those who have put down deposits will ultimately go elsewhere.

In short, those of you who have interviewed but not yet heard a result have a chance of acceptance, rejection, or waitlist --- just like before. Don't be disappointed (yet).

Hey boys and girls, I have a quick question I need to post in a public forum because if this question is left in my head I may die:

I have been Accepted to both UNECOM and NYCOM. I was on ASA for the class of 2011, reapplied and was then accepted for the Class of 2012. I interviewed in January of '08 at NYCOM and recently recieved acceptance into their DO Program. I am going to present my list of pros and cons of each school. If you wish to comment please do, I just need to get this off of my chest.

First off, money is not really an issue, I will be using loans to pay for everything. Medical school is expensive (UNE and NYCOM ~ 37K), this we all know too well, but each school brings with it a different education.

UNE
-Wonderful Faculty, Students, and Alumni (<- For you Wook) which make UNE seem more like a family than anything else. This provides a supportive learning environment in which anyone can excel
-Small Class size
-Superb facilities, 4 ppl to a cadaver, complete dissections, Amazing OMM lab, lecture halls, note taking service, (?Robotic patient simulator?) etc.
-Beautiful location, its on the ocean for pete's sake! How could anyone not like that locale?!
-Low cost of living. This is a large factor for me, I am from upstate NY (being an ISS or OSS has no bearing on my medical school choice) with biddeford and portland nearby, plus skiing and hockey abound I can balance out the streeses of medical school with relaxing, recreational activities

BUT

-Not affliated with the large teaching facilities like those of NYCOM, not quite sure about UNE's clinical reputation
-Relatively small alumni network
-In a rural setting which subconsciously promotes rural and PC medicine
-I am an EM freak and NYCOM has an EM department as part of the school
-The Issue of Biochem course which is now at the forefront of the UNE forum (I am paying for a great education yo!)
-No support network

NYCOM
-Excellent clinical rotation within the heart of the NYC/NJ/CT metro Area
-Technology abound! Streaming video of lecture as well as OMM
-ICC and Robotic patients first and second year
-Beautiful location on Long Island
-Vast Alumni Network
-Local Support network (4 cousins and aunt and uncle in NYC area)

BUT

-Cost of living on the Island is unheard of, and queens isn't much better
-Large students:cadaver ratio
-Students seen during my interview were not very welcoming, unlike those at UNE
-General dissarray of the admissions department (I scheduled and Interview in december for January 24th, on January 14th I get a letter from the AD saying my application is being thrown out because I have not taken action, very shoddy for a medical school)
-Mandatory attendance, not a big negative but I study best away from lecture

These are just a few musing, If I have missed anything please correct me by either replying or PMing me. My knowledge of UNE has dwindled seeing the last time i was there was march 2007.

I am not asking you to sway me in any direction, just point out the pros and cons I have missed and your opinion of what I've stated. Thanks for your help!!!

bio

Wonderful Faculty, Students, and Alumni (<- For you Wook)

Glad to be of help!!!!

These are just a few musing, If I have missed anything please correct me by either replying or PMing me. My knowledge of UNE has dwindled seeing the last time i was there was march 2007.

I am not asking you to sway me in any direction, just point out the pros and cons I have missed and your opinion of what I've stated. Thanks for your help!!!

I wish I could help you with this decision. Both schools will give you a great education (I did some rotations with some NYCOM students and felt that they were well prepared). I'm sure you may have been given this advice before, but if not...

Come up with some type of grid/scoring system that reflects the importance of an attribute you feel is important in your education or school. Map and compare the two schools using this scoring system and see which may work best for you.

Best of luck with the decision. PM if you have any questions or want additional information.

Wook

So, does anyone know when the admissions committee is meeting again? I interviewed on Jan. 31 and am getting ready to hear something...

So, does anyone know when the admissions committee is meeting again? I interviewed on Jan. 31 and am getting ready to hear something...

I called them a couple of days ago, they said the next adcom meeting was on February 25th. So hopefully we'll hear something by early March!

They usually send letters out VERY quickly after a meeting. (I think mine was dated the same day - but that was 2 1/2 years ago.)

Does anyone know when the very last adcom meeting is? I interview next Thursday and have a feeling I'm going to be a part of the last one. Do they have a nice stack of Waitlist letters waiting for the end of the last adcom meeting or is there still some hope of getting a definite acceptance?

Also, when do we know which tier we're in as far as the Waitlist is concerned? It'd be nice to know what my life will be like in the next fews months...but who really ever knows that anyway? ;)

:eek: Oh! One other question just occured to me...

Is a suit appropriate for the interview or is business casual okay? UNECOM seems relaxed but I don't want to under-do it.

Thanks!!

anyone interviewing next tuesday?

and does anyone have any suggestions on what hotel to stay at? i'll have a car, i'm just looking for something inexpensive and close to the school. thanks!

Is a suit appropriate for the interview or is business casual okay? UNECOM seems relaxed but I don't want to under-do it.

Thanks!!

I would treat it as any other interview and dress accordingly. My 2 cents. Good luck!

Wook

Thanks!!

Everyone at my interview wore suits, so don't worry about overdressing. A second good luck to you!

Thanks!!

My interview is next Thursday too and I'm planning on wearing a suit. See you there!!

Oh and thanks for asking the questions about the adcom meeting and waitlist, I would also like to know what to expect!

My interview is next Thursday too and I'm planning on wearing a suit. See you there!!

Oh and thanks for asking the questions about the adcom meeting and waitlist, I would also like to know what to expect!

Great!! I'll see you there. Well, technically, though I won't know who you are. I'll be the one wearing a suit :laugh:

I interviewed in October and wore a suit...Everyone wore a suit...word of advice...pick the MS brains...they are more than willing to answer questions and you can really get a sense of the school...the students are great. Dress warmly because it is COLD!! Goodluck and hopefully see you at Osteoblast!

So, I realize after reading this thread that I might be a little bit behind. Oh well... Anyways, so I have my interview (its my first so far, but I have more to come:D) tomorrow and I'm wondering what to expect. Do you bring your parents? BTW, I'm from Maine so its not difficult for them to travel with me. What type of questions should I ask the interviewer? I am only interviewing for a waitlist spot? And anything else that ya'll might think important for me to know I'd love to hear. Thanks...

So, I realize after reading this thread that I might be a little bit behind. Oh well... Anyways, so I have my interview (its my first so far, but I have more to come:D) tomorrow and I'm wondering what to expect. Do you bring your parents? BTW, I'm from Maine so its not difficult for them to travel with me. What type of questions should I ask the interviewer? I am only interviewing for a waitlist spot? And anything else that ya'll might think important for me to know I'd love to hear. Thanks...

Wouldn't recommend bringing parents to show that you are an independent mature adult...as for the interview, look on the interview threads on SDN and you can see the types of questions they ask... good luck :)

so disappointed...talked to james gaffney this afternoon and found out i'm on the ASA list. i loved unecom when i went for my interview, just felt so comfortable at the campus and with the community. ugh i'm so sad. next step: write them a letter to grovel and tell them how much i want to be there...

Don't be too depressed. I'd say a HUGE chunk of my class came from the ASA list. And the guy that got off the list literally the first day of classes is somewhere in the top 10 students in class. He's just... incredibly brilliant. and really really really nice too.

ASA is a waitlist. And it tends to move a LOT after May 15.

so disappointed...talked to james gaffney this afternoon and found out i'm on the ASA list. i loved unecom when i went for my interview, just felt so comfortable at the campus and with the community. ugh i'm so sad. next step: write them a letter to grovel and tell them how much i want to be there...

When did they send it out to you? (Curious since I had an interview there and I'm wondering if I should expect a letter soon or not. Oh well, it probably doesn't matter since I haven't even completed the biochem prereq and I don't plan on it unless I actually had an acceptance. It'd have to come pretty soon for me to actually do that.)

When did they send it out to you? (Curious since I had an interview there and I'm wondering if I should expect a letter soon or not. Oh well, it probably doesn't matter since I haven't even completed the biochem prereq and I don't plan on it unless I actually had an acceptance. It'd have to come pretty soon for me to actually do that.)

I didn't get a letter yet, though they sent them out on the 26th. I called to find out because I had a deadline for something else. If you interviewed within the past month, you should be hearing back from them in the next week. Good luck, hope you get a better response than I did :luck: