UNECOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am interested in knowing what experienced UNECOM'ers think is necessary in a laptop for class...

I know that it must have wireless, and applications to open PowerPoint Lectures and .pdf's. What else...does it need to have Java and Flash installed in the Web Browser to take the online quizzes in OMM? Anything else?

I'm trying to spend the least amount possible on a laptop and then buy a nicer desktop that will last longer...this is my angle, but I'm open to suggestions.

I noticed that ShyRem used a Tablet PC for writing notes during class. I'd love to hear the reasoning for using that in lieu of old-fashioned paper and pencil. Now that I'm typing, I know that ShyRem said that it was helpful for jotting quick notes alongside .pdf's for future consideration.

Muchas Gracias
I think that... oh wait, you said experienced UNECOMers...
Anyway, I decided on a tablet after much debate with myself. I hear that writing on powerpoints and pdf's is beneficial, but I also think a potential benefit over pen+paper is that you can convert your writing to text to search it later - this even works pretty well with my atrocious handwriting. Plus, you can avoid carrying many notebooks...save the environment...?

Members don't see this ad.

For me, I lose paper quickly. With VERY few exceptions, handouts were available online and I "printed" them to OneNote, where I wrote my notes down on there. I could also flag stuff the professor emphasized as potential test questions (and then pull all the flagged stuff up with one click). It was just easier for me to keep it all together and not lose anything, and to search for stuff I just *knew* I saw somewhere but couldn't remember where exactly. Also, I never ran out of paper. If I went to the "edge" of the paper, I just extended it sideways. You can't do that with normal paper. I also didn't need to carry around a dozen highlighters, pens, pencils, etc. It's all built in to my computer.

I know other folks loved to lug around their binders and notebooks. Tradeoff: I had to wait for my computer to boot up while they were flipping pages. It all depends on you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings All,

Just found out that I got a seat!

I'll be seeing everyone in August, but before then, I was wondering if people could post a book list so I can begin shopping for used texts ASAP.

or perhaps buy last year's from outgoing students...

I'm in the same boat... I just got offered a seat yesterday. Is anyone looking for a roommate? I'd totally prefer not renting out a house or something by myself.

Just a comment regarding laptops and desktops. In my humble opinion, invest in the laptop, whichever type you choose. It will become your 3rd arm. Don't skimp too much.

Just a comment regarding laptops and desktops. In my humble opinion, invest in the laptop, whichever type you choose. It will become your 3rd arm. Don't skimp too much.

I never used my computer during the first two years, at least the way that was envisioned by faculty. I used it for e-mail, and developing presentations at home and other stuff, but not at the school. Most of my classmates did not use their computers at school either. With that being said, the technology has changed from 6 years ago and I am still using the laptop I purchased six years ago. It sounds like it has been successfully integrated more into the curriculum with the technology allowing more note taking capability directly onto the handouts albeit electronically. Pretty cool.

So, as mentioned previously, if you buy one, don't skimp. You may end up using it all the time at home as a regular computer, even 6 years later.

Wook

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat... I just got offered a seat yesterday. Is anyone looking for a roommate? I'd totally prefer not renting out a house or something by myself.

I am an MSIII who is looking for three people to rent. Hit me up if you are interested. [email protected]

Hey all,
I have been reading here that the PDA is not really needed until 3rd year, but I have to ask why do they say you need it for first year if this is so? Also, even if it is not fully utilized the first two years, might it be worth it to buy it now anyway seeing as how it is included in the first year's budget? Are the models updated significantly and frequently enough to warrant the wait?

they may be. Technology is changing at an incredibly rapid rate. Unless you're used to using the capabilities of a pda (or you have time management issues like family), I would wait. There are a slew of physicians clamoring for iPhone medical software so they can ditch palm. And it looks like it might be working. iPhone has been announcing medical software target release dates.

they may be. Technology is changing at an incredibly rapid rate. Unless you're used to using the capabilities of a pda (or you have time management issues like family), I would wait. There are a slew of physicians clamoring for iPhone medical software so they can ditch palm. And it looks like it might be working. iPhone has been announcing medical software target release dates.

Excellent, thanks again Shy!

Might it be a good idea to just buy the new iphone then when it comes out? Is anyone considering this?

Members don't see this ad :)
you can already get medical software off Skyscape which work on iPhone and iTouch.
The memory limitation is the only thing holding me from getting the new iPhone. But in a few months I will go ahead and get it.

Actually I am trying to get rid of my PDA. Totally useless to me since I use mac and its windows based.

Ok, so I just checked "My Courses" on the myUNE site and the following courses are listed for this fall:

.COM-501-Medical Gross Anatomy-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-503-Medical Histology-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-505-Medical Embryology-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-511-HF:Biochemistry & Cell Biology-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-533-HF: Cellular & Organ System-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-581-Essentials Osteo Medicine I-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-582-Essentials Osteo Medicine II-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-591-Osteopathic Princ. & Prac. I-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-598-Principles of Population Hlth-A-Fall Semester 2008.

So I don't want to seem naive, but we're not taking all nine courses at once, right? Obviously EOM 1 would have to be before EOM 2, so are those each a half of a semester? Besides those, are any others half semesters, or will we have eight courses at a time?

Ok, so I just checked "My Courses" on the myUNE site and the following courses are listed for this fall:

.COM-501-Medical Gross Anatomy-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-503-Medical Histology-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-505-Medical Embryology-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-511-HF:Biochemistry & Cell Biology-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-533-HF: Cellular & Organ System-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-581-Essentials Osteo Medicine I-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-582-Essentials Osteo Medicine II-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-591-Osteopathic Princ. & Prac. I-A-Fall Semester 2008.

. • COM-598-Principles of Population Hlth-A-Fall Semester 2008.

So I don't want to seem naive, but we're not taking all nine courses at once, right? Obviously EOM 1 would have to be before EOM 2, so are those each a half of a semester? Besides those, are any others half semesters, or will we have eight courses at a time?

You won't be taking all 9 courses at once. When I went through, we took 4-6 courses simultaneously. Even when taking fewer courses, you will be experiencing the firehose effect. You will find that it is like putting your mouth on a firehose to drink water and you will get a *hitload of water at once. You'll get good training and will find the initial shock of the firehose effect wears off.

For now, enjoy the rest of your summer. If you get to Maine before school starts, explore the area. Lots of neat things to do and see. Good beaches, good hiking.

Wook

What you will find is that even though there are techinicaly "terms" to the school year, class length doesn't always follow that exactly. OMM 1 and 2 won't actually feel like 2 different classes. At the end, the whole year is only 1 grade anyway. I don't know exactly how things will work, b/c they are radically changing the schedule for you, but for example, this spring Pharm was 12 weeks, Path and nutrition were both 6 weeks, etc etc. You'll get the hang of it. And as for the firehose reference, totally true. Don't work too hard this summer, if you can help it.

I wish I hadnt bought my PDA. It's still in plastic. What I never thought of was, take the money, save it, by one later. I am getting the iphone probably in 6 months, or so.

I know they were trying to integrate anatomy, embryo, and histo, but I don't know if that went through. Our pop health was in the spring, so that's definitely new.

I heard that was possible as well. Does the schedule I listed indicate that as the current plan?

Well, there were no times or days that i saw, so it's hard to say. I don't know if "fall" means the 1st trimester, which ends around early Nov, or the first 1.5 ending at winter break. The rumor I heard was that the integrated class and biochem were running from summer to the end of Feb, so 2 trimesters. Pop health was only 1/2 trimester for us, it's not that long, but we took physio for 1/2 the year. OUr 1 st trimester was 4 classes, and then we had physio, biochem, histo, immuno, OMM, EOM that next 6 weeks, and the 6 weeks after that the switched out immuno for virology. Yours will be different, obviously, but that just gives you an idea of which classes are usualy longer than others.

I think the only thing you can really count on right now is OMM and EOM being the same. OMM tues.mornings, EOM wed. mornings. Usually Thurs. afternoons free, unless you have a preceptorship.

If they are not integrating the courses, anatomy was 5 days a week, 4 hours of scheduled class a day, embryo was 2x2hrs(I think), and them EOM and OMM. Obviously, that amount on anatomy will never be enough, so if it's that way expect more.

you can already get medical software off Skyscape which work on iPhone and iTouch.

Respectfully, the iPhone has no inherent (loadable) medical software programs available to it, with ePocrates being the supposed first with an expected launch sometime in late 2008. You may have seen multiple manufacturers display "iPhone software" ads, but they are presently only wireless based and accessible via wi-fi or AT&T's EDGE network (and soon via their 3G network). They do work, but will be to the bane of your existence.

The iPhone as a medical peripheral brain is mediocre, at best, so please be careful with what you choose. All programming for the iPhone will not be open source, but through Apple's SDK programmer support program. Thus, any program deemed appropriate for the iPhone by Apple will be supposedly only released by Apple through the iTunes store, not the company directly. They're keeping the reigns pulled tight for now so medical software releases will be coming s.l.o.w.l.y when the begin to trickle, fyi.

As of right now, nothing can even come close to a high-end Palm OS machine (say, a Sony TH55... but good luck finding one) or Pocket PC (Dell, HP, Toshbia, etc) packed-full-o Skyscape and Pepid.

Note bene: the wi-fi on the iPhone, which can be relatively fast, is not a productive option if you're thinking of it as a medical PDA. At any medical/hopsital site worth their weight in HIPPA beans, you need to reregister for wi-fi access every 5-10 minutes of non-use... fuGETaboutit! On site, you need a machine that has the programs inherent within.

YMMV.

See you all in a few weeks... mwahahaha... :smuggrin:

Last edited:
ShyRem. I saw you took out the Maine med loan. Are you glad you did it, and what made you choose it?

Basically, the terms were more favorable for my position. Very glad I chose it. VERY VERY easy to apply. But you have to apply every year. No big deal.

What are the Terms and Conditions, how much can you borrow?

well, everyone gets the same rate, just different origination fees. It's 2% above 90 t-bill in school, and 2.25% in repayment, right now. The t-bill is only 1.91% right now, so even if it goes up, it's stilla pretty good deal. 0.3. or 6% fee. automatic 4 year residency deferral. And it was an easy process.

The amount you can borrow is COA minus stafford loans. It's just an alternative to a plus loan; it is NOT like the old BOA maximizer loan where you could take out extra for supporting a family or something. I think the days of borrowing extra money to allow a married person with children to go to school are over.

Is that official, or something that will go into effect soon? The above COA loans, I mean. I know there were rumors that some legislation was coming out.

Scratch that last question. I figured it out myself. Most lenders have definitely gotten out of that market, where there used to be at least several.

Hey, does anyone know why the MELA loan isn't on the UNECOM site? Or am I just missing it?

Wait so you can pay about half as much interest as the PLUS Loans? What is the catch? Is it too late if I have already applied for the PLUS loans?

Nope, you have the legal right to cancel your loans up to a certain pont, and definitely before disbursement. I plan on cancelling mine tomorrow. The catch is that the T-bill is variable. However, the rate has been under about 6%, or close to it, since at least 1991. Also, depending on your credit, there is the possibility of paying a 6% origination fee, instead of 3%, but that few hundred bucks seems worth to save some interest.

Excellent, that looks like the way to go

Yep, signed the promissory note today, and cancelled my Chase GradPlus. So, just another helpful bit of info. Discover has started a stafford loan program with no fees. It's true. I've talked to 3 different people there. I mean, 1-2% can be $400-$800 dollars that I definitely don't want taken away. So, I switched to those as well.

I think Wachovia has a similar offer, but according to their website 1% is charged by the US Dpt of Ed...do you mean that they eat this or just don't charge any extra? I went through Wachovia for both my Staffords and Grad PLUS - the later of which I will probably opt out of

Ok, so according to the Discover website, it looks like they actually do not charge either the 1% option fee or the 1% from the USDE. They also give you a 0.25% rate reduction when you auto-debit your payments, similar to Wachovia's offer....The only thing is, it looks like the amounts are capped. According to these figures, I would not have enough when combined with my Staffords. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is there a different schedule for med/grad students?

Loan limits for independent students:
1st Year – $9,500
2nd Year – $10,500
3rd Year – $12,500
4th Year – $12,500

Edit: Ok never mind, 15 hour day at work yesterday and my head was not on straight. Still thinking about Grad Plus Loans when I looked at those numbers

Last edited:
I called about that yesterday. They will give you what you are certified for.

That's what I was told, at least

I called today as well, they sent me a form to fill out but I think that should do it.

As far as MELA vs. Grad Plus, what are the pro's/con's? Is the MELA an outright no-brainer?

There is another thread in the FA section where someone outlines things to consider. Things like private loans not being discharged upon death or disability. There was another comment about mortgages, but I have no interest in owning a house, so I didn;t read in depth. Check it out, see if it raises any red flags for you.

Hello fellow UNECOM students. I just received the list of books for MS I students. I know that not all the books are needed. Can someone let me know which ones are needed and which ones are not.

Thanks!

Gross Anatomy:

• Gray's Anatomy for Students

• Grant's Dissector

• Imaging Atlas of Human Anatomy

• They also have a list of atlas's they want us to get - which one do you like the best?
Histology:

• Bloom & Fawcett's Concise Histology

• They also recommend Color Atlas of Histology - would you recommend it?

• Which atlas do you recommend: Wheater's Functional Histology, or Basic Histology text and atlas?
Human Function: Biochemistry and Cell Biology:

• Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry

• Rapid Review Biochemistry

• Clinical Studies in Medical Biochemistry
Essentials of Osteopathic Medicine:

• The patient-doctor relationship, behavioral aspects of medicine

• Bates' Guide to physical examination and history taking

• On doctoring: stories, poems, essays

• Spirituality in patient care

My take:

Gross Anatomy:
* Gray's Anatomy for Students - don't bother.
* Grant's Dissector - YES. You'll WANT THIS ONE.
* Imaging Atlas of Human Anatomy
* They also have a list of atlas's they want us to get - which one do you like the best? I liked Rohen's photographic atlas. And the skull one was invaluable during head & neck, but get it used. it's the only time you'll use it. You'll get a Netter's FREE if you join SOMA or AMSA during orientation week.

Histology:
* Bloom & Fawcett's Concise Histology - think I used it twice. Ever.
* They also recommend Color Atlas of Histology - would you recommend it? Nope. Use WebPath or the UIowa site. There are a TON of websites with histology slides on them. And they're free.
* Which atlas do you recommend: Wheater's Functional Histology, or Basic Histology text and atlas? I liked Wheater's.

* Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry - way too wordy for me.
* Rapid Review Biochemistry - quick read, and goes over the basics.
* Clinical Studies in Medical Biochemistry - have no clue. Sorry.

* The patient-doctor relationship, behavioral aspects of medicine
* Bates' Guide to physical examination and history taking - get the mini-bates. It's cheaper and has everything you'll need. Don't waste your money on the big Bates book.
* On doctoring: stories, poems, essays - had to read it ONCE for class. Good thing it was cheap. Borrow one from a friend, photocopy the necessary pages, or get it used.
* Spirituality in patient care - Again, had to read it once or twice for class. Borrow one from a friend, photocopy the pages, or get it used.

There are really very very few books you'll really NEED. Don't buy ANYTHING until you figure out if you'll need them. After the first semester, we all just waited until we actually were in classes to figure out if we needed any books at all. Then we'd go to the bookstore to buy it once we needed it. Med school books aren't like undergrad books - they keep them in stock for the whole time the class is ongoing.

THank you so much ShyRem.

You've been of great help to us all!

My take:

Gross Anatomy:
* Gray's Anatomy for Students - don't bother.
* Grant's Dissector - YES. You'll WANT THIS ONE.
* Imaging Atlas of Human Anatomy
* They also have a list of atlas's they want us to get - which one do you like the best? I liked Rohen's photographic atlas. And the skull one was invaluable during head & neck, but get it used. it's the only time you'll use it. You'll get a Netter's FREE if you join SOMA or AMSA during orientation week.

Histology:
* Bloom & Fawcett's Concise Histology - think I used it twice. Ever.
* They also recommend Color Atlas of Histology - would you recommend it? Nope. Use WebPath or the UIowa site. There are a TON of websites with histology slides on them. And they're free.
* Which atlas do you recommend: Wheater's Functional Histology, or Basic Histology text and atlas? I liked Wheater's.

* Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry - way too wordy for me.
* Rapid Review Biochemistry - quick read, and goes over the basics.
* Clinical Studies in Medical Biochemistry - have no clue. Sorry.

* The patient-doctor relationship, behavioral aspects of medicine
* Bates' Guide to physical examination and history taking - get the mini-bates. It's cheaper and has everything you'll need. Don't waste your money on the big Bates book.
* On doctoring: stories, poems, essays - had to read it ONCE for class. Good thing it was cheap. Borrow one from a friend, photocopy the necessary pages, or get it used.
* Spirituality in patient care - Again, had to read it once or twice for class. Borrow one from a friend, photocopy the pages, or get it used.

There are really very very few books you'll really NEED. Don't buy ANYTHING until you figure out if you'll need them. After the first semester, we all just waited until we actually were in classes to figure out if we needed any books at all. Then we'd go to the bookstore to buy it once we needed it. Med school books aren't like undergrad books - they keep them in stock for the whole time the class is ongoing.

You'll probably need the clinical studies biochem book. I also highly recommend the Thiemes Anatomy atlases. I have a dissector, if anyone wants it.
Agreed. Do not get the embryo book. Even the prof. doesn't like it, and he makes great slides. I also like the Wheater's atlas, but you will need the help of online resources. Neither atlas does everything. Also, the prof likes to take questions out of the Histo textbook. I made the mistake of trying to get away without it.

You won't need the illustrated Biochem book. At least we didn't. Try to get as many things used as possible. Save your money.

Hey DtotheIzzo,

I just finalized on a housing rental in Biddeford at 161 West Street for my MSI at UNE. There are three of us now and we're looking for a fourth, if you're interested. One of my roommates posted something a page or two back; I've seen the place and can attest that all of the things below are true. My notes are in brackets:

The residence is owned by a UNECOM graduate and a first year UNECOM student is living there currently [note: that's me, THobbes]. The house is located in a friendly neighborhood at 161 West Street in Biddeford (about 8 minutes from the University or downtown Biddeford, and 10 min from beach). [the distance is 4.5 miles, and easy to do by bike--maybe 20 minutes to the school] The house is available for June 14 through May 2009. We do not have to fill the house for the summer though so later arrivals are ok as well [I'll be there at the end of July, and I'm happy to help you move in if I get there first]. Rent is $400 person plus utilities, which we are estimating to be about $125 per month. Here are some of the specifics:
  • 2 full baths
  • full kitchen with island and dishwasher
  • washer and dryer garage parking for 2 and off street parking for 2 (Nathan has already stated that he does not need a garage spot)
  • High speed wireless internet, cable television [phone service is being bundled into the cable service as well to keep down cost]
  • closet in each bedroom
  • large basement with plenty of storage space [very big!]
  • Mowing and yard service provided
  • big backyard with a deck
  • partially furnished
  • No smoking, and no pets
If you are interested or want additional details or pictures please contact me (Jo) via email ([email protected]) or cell (765-760-1947) anytime or Nathan by email ([email protected]) or by cell (607-316-4661).
It would be better to contact Nathan; he's had a longer working relationship with the property and the landlord than I have, but in all respects it's very positive from what I see. The tenants are responsible for all utilities, as noted above, and for snow removal during the winter. Congrats and I'll see you in a couple weeks!

Hello UNECOM folks,

I don't want to hijack your thread for long but my husband and I are visiting New Hampshire next week (July 16-20) for a family reunion and thought we'd borrow a car and drive the 90 miles to check out Biddeford, ME and UNECOM since it's on my top 5 DO list.

Any helpful ideas? Would love to hear from any current students. (I know you're very busy.) PM me if willing.

Thanks so much

Lisa

It is a beautiful campus...right on the ocean...I love it!

Most of the med students won't be there. The soon-to-be MSIIIs are 1) trying not to think about when their board scores will be back and 2) busy checking out their rotation sites or moving to their rotation site, and the soon-to-be MSIIs are enjoying the last few weeks of vacation before neuro starts (and that one is painful).

Call the admissions office and see if someone will be there to show you around and give you some info. Might be worth it.

Good idea...I'll check into that. Thanks.
enjoy your vacation!

Most of the med students won't be there. The soon-to-be MSIIIs are 1) trying not to think about when their board scores will be back and 2) busy checking out their rotation sites or moving to their rotation site, and the soon-to-be MSIIs are enjoying the last few weeks of vacation before neuro starts (and that one is painful).

Call the admissions office and see if someone will be there to show you around and give you some info. Might be worth it.