UNECOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accelerated anatomy (get it done and over with) that would be the best thing that could ever happen to you

:) do anatomy and get it over with, seriously... lingering anatomy on and on and on.... = serves no purpose (know all the anatomy before hand, helps on other classes.. because you'll know exactly what they're talking about.. and know where it is, what are the company it keeps, and all the associated stuff) it'll certainly help you on your OPP.

Spreading anatomy out, i believe it'll only hurt people.. because people will get overwhelmed with too many classes to juggle, and not knowing anatomy well enough.. and mix things up plus not too good on time management especially they're just starting medical school.

I believe it'll be more of a hell hole, than blessing.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you Keys, but i believe the plan is to have embryo, histo, path, and anatomy all spread out over 9 months or so. Or so they're trying to manipulate the schedule. We'll have to see if that actually pans out.

...and so I have seen arguements from both sides of the issue. We have the root of students' complaints and the schools decision to continually update the curriculum setup. I suppose in the end, it just comes down to different strokes for different folks. UNECOM greases the squeaky wheels and accomodates students by adjusting per feedback, but it seems like the "ideal" paradigm seems to vary widely from student to student. I think there is a certain merrit for the school to act on student feedback, I just hope the system in place this fall suites me ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully the second years will continue the tradition and hold review sessions for the first years before exams. SOSA holds anatomy review sessions in the gross lab before every anatomy exam (and they TOTALLY saved my butt first year) that really help put the whole picture together.

I will always remember "Pepper.. Dr. Pepper.. Dr. Dr. Pepper Dr. Pepper!" :laugh: (and I really hope they teach that one to you too!)

I will always remember "Pepper.. Dr. Pepper.. Dr. Dr. Pepper Dr. Pepper!" :laugh: (and I really hope they teach that one to you too!)

What is that in reference to?

Much to my happiness, I recently found out that I'll be able to attend Osteoblast, but noticed there's a space on the invitation response that asks for the number attending. Do many people bring their SOs, and if I did so would it be terribly boring for him? It would be nice to have someone to share in the driving, haha. Also, is it worthwhile to have lunch with your academic adviser?

Much to my happiness, I recently found out that I'll be able to attend Osteoblast, but noticed there's a space on the invitation response that asks for the number attending. Do many people bring their SOs, and if I did so would it be terribly boring for him? It would be nice to have someone to share in the driving, haha. Also, is it worthwhile to have lunch with your academic adviser?

Great question, I was wondering the exact same thing myself...

... (or the one for whether they are motor or sensory), ...

:laugh:

Wook
SAME DAVE?

Sensory
Afferant
Motor
Efferent

Dorsal
Afferent
Ventral
Efferent

Members don't see this ad :)

Just to echo dwilber's question, is it more appropriate to bring SO's to Osteoblast, or would it be better to fly solo?

I've never actually been to osteoblast (my husband tends to work weekends, and the kids have things to get to weekends - so I'm the Mom Taxi). I would say it's fine to bring your SO. There's a lot of stuff generally to do and they can ask questions of their own regarding medical school and being the SO of a med student.

And I think it's definitely worthwhile to have lunch with your advisor. You may want to get to know them before you *need* to get to know them. Knowing the faculty can only be a good thing for you at this point.

So, I went to Osteoblast before I started here at UNE. I brought my girlfriend at the time and I had a great time. I had and took advantage of chatting with first years and getting their input. They had food and drinks and then handed out awards. It was a good time and I would think that if anyone can make it, please do. Both classes are open to answering questions and it will give you a good sense of the life of attending here... well for the most part.

Don't be bashful, we are all excited about meeting new students and we realize that the strongest part of UNECOM is the student body. This is for the most part opposite of the administration and faculty (not all). But that is a whole other story.

Good luck and we hope to see you... and if you have been accepted to other schools and are trying to decide whether to attend UNECOM... go to the other school. I believe most are run a heck of a lot better than UNECOM which will hopefully lead to less stress and aggravation during your attendance.

So, I went to Osteoblast before I started here at UNE. I brought my girlfriend at the time and I had a great time. I had and took advantage of chatting with first years and getting their input. They had food and drinks and then handed out awards. It was a good time and I would think that if anyone can make it, please do. Both classes are open to answering questions and it will give you a good sense of the life of attending here... well for the most part.

Don't be bashful, we are all excited about meeting new students and we realize that the strongest part of UNECOM is the student body. This is for the most part opposite of the administration and faculty (not all). But that is a whole other story.

Good luck and we hope to see you... and if you have been accepted to other schools and are trying to decide whether to attend UNECOM... go to the other school. I believe most are run a heck of a lot better than UNECOM which will hopefully lead to less stress and aggravation during your attendance.

Actually, i might have to disagree with you menard. You might think that other schools run a lot better than UNECOM, in reality, it is really not the case. There might be couple schools that run a lot better, but for the most part they run like UNECOM. (if you been on SDN long enough.. you'll see what i mean)

Grass is always greener on the other side, remember that. Even harvard has its problems that its students complains (i.e. school don't care about undergrads only care about endowment, networking, alumni, and graduates + grade inflation and water downed courses due to faculties has no interest teaching undergrad, only interest in research and Ph.D students)

As education level gets higher, demand from student body is a lot higher, But sometimes we only compare ourselves to the "most ideal school" and forgot about the rest of the schools that doesn't stand out, and "that rest of the school" is pretty much the majority of the reality.

Like anything else that famous and stand out, you're going to hear about the couple "ideal schools" all the time.... but the rest of the schools you don't really hear much about.

I've heard students complaining from PCOM, NSUCOM, NYCOM, TCOM..... and the list goes on...

like any educational institutes (it is not their job to hold your hand and present you with all the right opportunities so all you have to do is just reach out your hand and stuff will drop into your palms). it is very rare that this happens

However, if you would like to achieve certain goals that you need, and school is at least willing to compromise or provide ways to help you (for whatever it is worth)), then i would say that the school has done its job. I believe UNECOM has done so... for the most part and it is definitely not better or worse than the majority of the Osteopathic schools

Menard's mad because of what's going on with the exam review policy. See the UNECOM Discussion thread in pre-osteo. I really can't blame him.

But at least we have a reasonable building. Have you heard about the letter from Touro-NY? No heat, flooding in their building, lack of decent facilities in general, anatomy class basically crap..... dang.

So, it goes without saying that any school, business, home, etc. has their faults. The major problem here and with any bad business or leader is the lack of listening to people who make suggestions. I have talked with students from PCOM, CCOM, and TCOM particularly and have taken what works with their program and made suggestions here to do the same. Some of what I have given input to has been acted on in some way. However, there are other subjects which concerns the student body and there is little action.

Of course the grass is greener on the other side, but I am also not ignorant or uninformed. If you make such accusations without talking with me or asking me, you just fall into the same behavior that I am upset with in this school. If I say nothing, then nothing will change. I am not like that nor accept that... would you?

You know better than ask that question of me, menardst. I have no problems opening my big mouth and causing complete chaos (or the equivalent of heck freezing over).

WOW, I have not been here for a while.. nor have I had any news from UNECOM. Selectively blocking things out of my memory. From my limited momory of the class of 2010, there were a bunch of great people in the class and many pro-active participants (MENARDST being one of them).

Sounds like your having some trouble.

UNECOM would be a better with better rotations and better leadership.
The building is great and the early exposure to clinical is great.

docbill, there is a total lack of communication from administration. Some leadership would be nice right about now - or rather leadership that communicates. The new leadership is apparently going to institute changes and they aren't talking about 'em. but I would think them moving our graduation date up a month (read this: lose anywhere from 2-6 weeks of time for rotations/free time/audition rotations/interviews) would be a tad important when we're looking at scheduling 3rd/4th year stuff.

Let me put it this way: I'm going to skip class and sit outside Ripich's office to try and get answers. Again. When I did that Friday I ended up talking to the Provost, who was quite surprised that we had NO IDEA they were changing our schedules.

I know what the problem is... and that is why I said leadership. Or as some would say.. its a systemic problem.

You should take it easy on what you put on here, I am sure that RSAS will make note of all of this and note it in your dean's letter.

As you know for me that is not a problem since I have moved on from UNECOM. You have a couple of month left and you will have moved on to rotations. Lets just hope for you guys they are better organized.

I'm well aware that folks at UNE read this board (Hi, RSAS and admissions!!!! :hello: ). And I don't say anything behind someone's back (or on a board) that I wouldn't be willing to say to someone else's face.

Like I said... I'm going to sit outside Ripich's office Monday and get answers. I like honesty and directness; I really don't care much for the alternative. And I really hate having to rely on rumor, gossip, and innuendo. It's too much like reading a newspaper to try and get "truth". And I have NO problem standing up for what I know is right -- and getting information in a timely basis that changes our schedules is certainly a "right thing" to fight for in my book.

On another note, docbill, whacha doin' now??

You know this and that. Traveling and taking some classes. Will continue medical school fun and 2nd year next year, but NOT where you are.

I'm well aware that folks at UNE read this board (Hi, RSAS and admissions!!!! :hello: ). And I don't say anything behind someone's back (or on a board) that I wouldn't be willing to say to someone else's face.

Like I said... I'm going to sit outside Ripich's office Monday and get answers. I like honesty and directness; I really don't care much for the alternative. And I really hate having to rely on rumor, gossip, and innuendo. It's too much like reading a newspaper to try and get "truth". And I have NO problem standing up for what I know is right -- and getting information in a timely basis that changes our schedules is certainly a "right thing" to fight for in my book.

Shy, would you let us know how that goes?

Hello everyone, I am new to SDN but I wanted to post and say I will be entering UNECOM this fall as a class of 2012 member. I am very excited to be attending as my mentor is a graduate and he is a very well respected gastroenterologist (UNECOM has a great reputation where I am from which is also a rotation site for 3rd year). I plan to be doing the dual DO/MPH degree. I will be attending Osteoblast in a few weeks and cannot wait to meet everyone. If anyone has any advice for an incoming student on housing, books, classes, etc., that would be great.

Used books are way to go,

I have bunch of them for sale,

housing. Live either close to school or saco (stay away from high st, birch st, downtown biddeford) pool st (closer to the school side is pretty good)

you do not want to pay more than 750.00 a month (make sure utilities are included, heat and hot water, maybe even laundry in unit)

I'll be selling items before and after osteoblast. so be on the look out

whatever you do, do NOT go buy every "required" book on the list. do NOT NOT NOT buy them all.

You'll need an anatomy dissector and atlas. You'll want a histology atlas. As for the others, wait and see how much the professor gives you in class... do you just need a $30 review book (think board review series) or do you need the whole $175 "required" book that will be the most fantastic door stop/stepstool later on? The bookstore stocks med school books all year long, and you can also get them online.

You'll want to find people you know just in case your apartment isn't available until September. (i.e. find a couch to crash on).

So, it goes without saying that any school, business, home, etc. has their faults. The major problem here and with any bad business or leader is the lack of listening to people who make suggestions. I have talked with students from PCOM, CCOM, and TCOM particularly and have taken what works with their program and made suggestions here to do the same. Some of what I have given input to has been acted on in some way. However, there are other subjects which concerns the student body and there is little action.

Of course the grass is greener on the other side, but I am also not ignorant or uninformed. If you make such accusations without talking with me or asking me, you just fall into the same behavior that I am upset with in this school. If I say nothing, then nothing will change. I am not like that nor accept that... would you?

Menardst, you're definitely not ignorant or uninformed and you do speak up for what you believe in that in itself is great. You have the right to express your opinion

All i was doing is offer a different perspective for other students that might be reading this thread right now. Nobody is right or wrong. I was saying that in terms of my needs , the school was able to met most of it, and UNECOM is just like all the other schools I've been to (they just do enough to get by, since rarely any school goes the extra miles especially this is almost a business that they're running).

I have a lot of needs, however, i take things into my own hands instead of leaving up to the school to set it up for me. Therefore i don't expect more from UNECOM than any other schools i've been to. Compared to Public/State Schools, UNECOM is really not bad at all. Obviously this is a very general comment (since all schools has its up and downs, good or bad) but overall UNECOM is not bad.

I do believe that other students needs to hear all the opinions/experiences provided by current UNECOM students, I'm not going to influence their decision.. it is up to them to decide where they want to go, and what is good for them. All i can do is tell them about my experience, and surely you tell them yours.

just like some students/class hated the accelerated gross anatomy program and want the adminstration to change it, where as I loved the accelerated program and i believe that it is the way to go. If the adminstration listen to student and changed it. It would really make my gross anatomy experience bad.... another problem with the curriculum is that it is changed too many times....and people mess up the good things.

right now UNECOM admin is stuck in the middle should they change and go into the (unknown territory)? or should they stick with what works (and be safe). They're in the middle and that's the problem.

I would think them moving our graduation date up a month (read this: lose anywhere from 2-6 weeks of time for rotations/free time/audition rotations/interviews) would be a tad important when we're looking at scheduling 3rd/4th year stuff. QUOTE]

ms4 here... i'm finishing with medical school on 4/11/08 this year and haven't felt rushed at all over the past couple years - plenty of time for vacations, board prep & interviews. if anything, moving the graduation date up a bit will prevent the clog that is occurring by having graduation be 1 week before most of us are starting our residency programs. food for thought...

Good thought, innominata. But they didn't tell us in time that we had to take COMLEX by june 30. More than a couple folks have weddings planned, other huge family organizations planned and were planning on taking the boards in July. December they tell us we have to take it by June 30 or we will have to reschedule our first block (unless fortunate enough to get an open track first thing). So if you're unlucky enough to have IM first block, that's 12 weeks you now have free at the beginning of 3rd year. Originally no problem - there are 12 weeks free 3rd/4th year to reschedule that into. Or rather there WERE. Now since they're moving graduation, we *think* there will be only 8. But no one knows. but we do know that if the above scenario indeed occurs, those folks will be unable to fulfill their rotation requirements before graduation as they currently stand.

Personally, I think moving graduation up will be good and I won't have scheduling issues myself. The problem is the changing rules. For heavens sakes, just communicate with us in a timely manner so we can plan. Hard to plan your life when you don't know the rules.

Oh, and did I mention the graduation will be combined with the undergrads, Westbrook students, nurses, PTs, etc? Senior week is hopefully still on, but we'll have to share campus with the other couple thousand students graduating too. Don't know how that will affect everything, but it's going to be crowded. And considering how we have been treated so far with all the undergrads, we anticipate COM students will be pushed to the side. But we sincerely hope we're wrong. (we're a little bitter about UNE closing down the cafe' and library during our block exam weeks first year. A 10 hour day of exams with no food and no coffee is a little... well... hard to swallow when the reason for closing it all down was "the undergrads are on vacation". They've changed that policy this year fortunately. Now at least there's coffee and a few sandwiches and cookies and there's only ONE day per exam week that lasts 8 hours.)

Hey Fellow UNECOMers!

My name is dave and I am a MS1 going on MS2. I have really enjoyed the school so far. On the anatomy issue, I really liked the accelerated anatomy but others did not. It IS going to be spread out next year. Also, I remember using this thread last year to find places to live and I wanted to throw out an apt we are subleasing...read below

Hello,

Elizabeth and I have a chance to move into a new apt. that may work a little better for our two Chesapeake bay retrievers. Unfortunately, the lease would start on May 1st and our current lease goes through the end of June. That said, we are thinking about subleasing our beautiful 3 bedroom (we use it as a two bedroom and BIG office-it is the bottom of a house) apartment for part of May and June and you could probably pick up the lease from there if you wanted. This would be great for anyone getting kicked out of their winter rentals now. Cost is $925 month and you can fit 2-4 people (depending on couples) in here.

Pluses:
Great landlord (young guy-not slumlord)-he fixes everything
great upstairs and next door neighbors
dogpark/baseball field right outside the door
small fenced in backyard
HUGE basement for storage
closets-one big walking as well
offstreet parking for 3 spots
nice paint and colors inside
apt. is really very nice
small front sunroom
multiple entrances
washer/dryer hookups (we are taking our washer/dryer)
pets allowed (But for you non-pet types, there is no evidence that pets are allowed here-clean)

Not so pluses:
near bacon st.
heat not included
you have to shovel your snow
I don't really like our postman-he practically needs a red carpet up to the mailbox to deliver our mail. I call him princess.
small kitchen

Those are things I can think of off the top of my head. We can talk if you are interested. If I get really desperate and we are renting two places than I can talk to you about lower the rent for the subleasing time period. Right now we are in the process of talking to the other landlord so we are NOT confirmed to move yet, but given how quick this is moving, I wanted to throw this apartment out there for others to consider. We have enjoyed it.

Pics:

living room:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dgriss1/MedicalSchoolYearOne/photo#5102410958969571346

main bedroom:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dgriss1/MedicalSchoolYearOne/photo#5102411044868917314

more:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dgriss1/MedicalSchoolYearOne/photo#5102410993329309730
http://picasaweb.google.com/dgriss1/MedicalSchoolYearOne/photo#5102411023394080818

email me at [email protected]
cheers,
dave

nice house you got there :)

pretty spacious......

Has anyone here seen the 2008 Match List? i have not been able to find it anywhere online.

-I'm looking forward to meeting everyone next week at Osteoblast!

The following was compiled by one of my classmates! I'm not sure how complete it is, and I did not have time to organize it by specialty... sorry! Hope this helps everyone out!

Anesthesiology - Baystate medical Center
General Surgery - Berkshire Medical Center
Internal medicine - Tufts - Lahey clinic
Family Medicine - Eastern Maine Medical Center
Pediatrics - Albany Medical Center
Family Medicine Maine-Dartmouth Family Medicine Residency
Emergency Medicine - St John West Shore
Internal medicine - Maine Medical Center
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maine Medical Center
Psychiatry - Dartmouth
Family Medicine - University of Arizona
Emergency Medicine - Oklahoma State University Medical Center
Internal medicine - Bassett
General Surgery - National Naval Medical Center
Internal medicine - North Shore Medical Center
Internal medicine - Berkshire Medical Center
Family Medicine - Maine Medical Center
Emergency Medicine - Kent Hospital
Family Medicine Maine - Dartmouth Family Medicine Residency
Pediatrics - Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts - New England Medical Ctr
OB/GYN - Jersey Shore Medical Center
Internal medicine - Christina Care Hospital
Pediatrics - Connecticut Children's Medical Center
Pediatrics - Jersey Shore University Medical Center
Emergency Medicine - SUNY Upstate Medical Center
Internal medicine - SCRIPPS Green
Rotating internship - Charleston Area Medical Center
Orthopedic surgery - Pinnacle Health system
Emergency Medicine - New York Medical College Metropolitan Hospital
Family Medicine - Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital
General Surgery - Air Force
Emergency Medicine - Geisinger Medical Center
Pediatrics - Maine Medical Center
Transitional year - UNECOM/Mercy
Psychiatry - Mayo Clinic
Family Medicine - Maine Medical Center
Transitional year - then anesthesiology residency Saint Vincent's Worcester
Family Medicine - Kingston Hospital
Internal medicine - Botsford Hospital
Internal medicine - Seton Hall School of Graduate Education
Anesthesiology - Baystate medical Center
Rotating internship - anesthesia Univ of Kansas in Kansas City, Kansas
OB/GYN - Reading Hospital
Internal medicine - Lenox Hill Hospital
Emergency Medicine - Maine Medical Center
Internal medicine - UMASS Medical Center
Transitional (rotating) internship - National Naval Medical Center
Family Medicine - Inner City track - University of Rochester
Internal medicine - Largo Medical Center
Internal medicine - Lahey Clinic
Emergency Medicine - Kent County Hospital
Emergency Medicine - MCV/VCU
Anesthesiology - Montefire medical Center
Internal medicine - William Beaumont Army Medical Center
Pediatrics - University of Nebraska Medical Center
Emergency Medicine - Albany Medical Center
Rotating internship - Samaritan Medical Center
Psychiatry: double board program - Adult and Child - Umass
OB/GYN - New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Pediatrics - Louisiana State University
Emergency Medicine - Albany Medical Center
Family Medicine - Womack Army Medical Center
Rotating internship - UMDNJ-Kennedy Health
Internal medicine - Brooke Army Medical Center
Internal medicine - KCMS/MSU
Emergency Medicine - Kingman AZ
Emergency Medicine - Lehigh Valley Hospital
preliminary IM year then adult neurology - intern year - Mercy Catholic Medical Center in Darby, PA
Internal medicine - Seton Hall School of Graduate Education
Ophthalmology - Millcreek hospital
Internal medicine - Norwalk Hospital
preliminary medicine then anesthesiology - intern year - UCSF Fresno
Emergency Medicine - Mayo Clinic

Thanks Shodddy.. It looks great!

Indeed, looks quite nice. I am especially impressed by the "optho" match

Hello, my name is Romeo and I am a graduating 4th year UNECOMer.

First of all, congrats on getting in!!! You got past that and it's uber difficult so kudos to you.

I own a house in Biddeford, right off Pool Road (.5 miles from Downtown, 3 miles from UNE). It's a big house with a HUGE yard. I have some rooms for rent and am looking for incoming 1st years to move in. I rent ONLY to UNECOM students; no randoms, no undergrads. It is a med school house.

The House: living/TV room, study room/library (with lots of my books, board review material and other resources at your disposal), kitchen, dining room, 3 bathrooms, 4 bedrooms, and bar, laundry (washer, dryer) and wine cellar in the basement. 2 car garage. big driveway. super nice neighborhood (they all know and love past residents). giant backyard. WIFI set up in house. 200 feet from the "On the Corner Cafe" deli on Pool Road.

This house is the stuff of UNECOM legend since I bought it and lived there. A great meeting place, yet homey and comfortable when quiet.

If you have any questions or are interested in taking a look, please email me at [email protected] and I can email you pictures or I'll arrange a time for you to come by and look.

Again, congrats on getting in and I hope to hear from you soon.

Romeo:D

P.S. Osteoblast is this wknd so it's a good time to be in Biddeford and a goosd time to stop by the house (81 Clifford Street in Biddeford). The current tennants would love to show you around.

Hello, my name is Romeo and I am a graduating 4th year UNECOMer.

First of all, congrats on getting in!!! You got past that and it's uber difficult so kudos to you.

I own a house in Biddeford, right off Pool Road (.5 miles from Downtown, 3 miles from UNE). It's a big house with a HUGE yard. I have some rooms for rent and am looking for incoming 1st years to move in. I rent ONLY to UNECOM students; no randoms, no undergrads. It is a med school house.

The House: living/TV room, study room/library (with lots of my books, board review material and other resources at your disposal), kitchen, dining room, 3 bathrooms, 4 bedrooms, and bar, laundry (washer, dryer) and wine cellar in the basement. 2 car garage. big driveway. super nice neighborhood (they all know and love past residents). giant backyard. WIFI set up in house. 200 feet from the "On the Corner Cafe" deli on Pool Road.

This house is the stuff of UNECOM legend since I bought it and lived there. A great meeting place, yet homey and comfortable when quiet.

If you have any questions or are interested in taking a look, please email me at [email protected] and I can email you pictures or I'll arrange a time for you to come by and look.

Again, congrats on getting in and I hope to hear from you soon.

Romeo:D

P.S. Osteoblast is this wknd so it's a good time to be in Biddeford and a goosd time to stop by the house (81 Clifford Street in Biddeford). The current tennants would love to show you around.

Rome's house is amazing. Great people, great location, great stuff. It is THE house to be for most of the first year stuff this year. Definitely check it out if you want to live with cool, chill, smart people.

Incoming first years,

I have A lot of books for sale
Please PM me for list of books I have and also 2007's Fall/spring textbook list from UNECOM, so you can mix and match what you need

In addition i also have a complete medical kit for sale with Littman Cardiology III steth in box, Welch Allyn Diagnostic kit (in box), and blood pressure cuff, tuning forks, eye chart, reflex hammer, and medical bag. at a cheap price.. compare to book store's 600.00

PM me for more infos. Thanks

I was wondering if any one knew if you really need the PDA that is recommended by the school and all of the skyscape software that they tell you is needed. Or could you use something like the i phone or a blackberry even thought that software may not work on it?

Bump!
How is everyone feeling about starting in just a couple of months? Is anyone doing anything good until then, are people finding living arrangements ok? Anyone started buying books or supplies yet? Are we all following the advice of our predecessors and just relaxing until we start?