UNECOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not relaxing...trying to get my life in order...I will be ending fulltime work the end of July...finishing Biochem now...I'll relax in June!! Osteoblast was fun...can't wait for the rafting trip!!

Members don't see this ad.

Not relaxing...trying to get my life in order...I will be ending fulltime work the end of July...finishing Biochem now...I'll relax in June!! Osteoblast was fun...can't wait for the rafting trip!!

I hear ya, I'm working until mid-late July as well. It gets tougher to spend my time in this cube as the weather gets nicer and the looming storm of work rears it's head over the horizon. Makes me want to enjoy the "freedom" I have now. I'm looking forward to the rafting trip too, it is supposed to be quite a highlight of Orientation :thumbup:

Wish I could make it to the rafting trip..unfortunately I am working right up until just about the day before orientation. But I LOVE my job so it is ok, see you guys so soon. It makes me want to throw up a little actually...:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday was the last day of my last rotation!!! I'm Done!!!!!!!!!! So I have a couple of short white UNECOM lab coats if anyone wants them. They are covered with stains from sweat, blood, urine, feces, and several other stains of questionable origin...

Best of luck to everyone, you will love UNECOM!

By the way, I was just kidding about giving the coats away... I'm not sure but I think I would be violating some sort of OSHA laws on safe handling of hazardous waste products.... I guess I will have to either bury them in a steel reinforced concrete sarcophagus or burn them:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yesterday was the last day of my last rotation!!! I'm Done!!!!!!!!!! So I have a couple of short white UNECOM lab coats if anyone wants them. They are covered with stains from sweat, blood, urine, feces, and several other stains of questionable origin...

Best of luck to everyone, you will love UNECOM!

By the way, I was just kidding about giving the coats away... I'm not sure but I think I would be violating some sort of OSHA laws on safe handling of hazardous waste products.... I guess I will have to either bury them in a steel reinforced concrete sarcophagus or burn them:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Congrats Shodddy! Do you know where you are going to do residency yet? Are youstaying in Maine?

hey all! congrats to everyone who has been admitted!

i'm currently an MSIII at UNECOM and have an all-inclusive studio available for rent, convenient in-town location, near campus. there's a large yard in back, hardwood floors, driveway, plenty of storage, laundry in-unit...send me a message for details if anyone's interested.

good luck, and look forward to meeting some of you next year!

Has anyone heard anything about potential curriculum setup/schedule for next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when/how we'll be able to sign up for the trip?

The information is available on my.une (shared folder). the site also said that snail mail paperwork about the trip was sent on the 12th.

Medical kit and books for sale.. please PM me

Anyone going on the rafting trip?
I got the info today....

Hello! :)

First of all, congratulations on being accepted into UNECOM class of 2012.

Secondly I would like to make you aware of a housing opportunity in case you have yet to arrange for a place to stay. One of the marine honors students (Nathan Furey) and I (a graduate marine science student) are renting a house that has 2 additional bedrooms (one is good size, the other is very large). The residence is owned by a UNECOM graduate and a first year UNECOM student is living there currently. The house is located in a friendly neighborhood at 161 West Street in Biddeford (about 8 minutes from the University or downtown Biddeford, and 10 min from beach). The house is available for June 14 through May 2009. We do not have to fill the house for the summer though so later arrivals are ok as well. Rent is $400 person plus utilities, which we are estimating to be about $125 per month. Here are some of the specifics:
  • 2 full baths
  • full kitchen with island and dishwasher
  • washer and dryer garage parking for 2 and off street parking for 2 (Nathan has already stated that he does not need a garage spot)
  • High speed wireless internet, cable television
  • closet in each bedroom
  • large basement with plenty of storage space
  • Mowing and yard service provided
  • big backyard with a deck
  • partially furnished
  • No smoking, and no pets
If you are interested or want additional details or pictures please contact me (Jo) via email ([email protected]) or cell (765-760-1947) anytime or Nathan by email ([email protected]) or by cell (607-316-4661).

Thanks and have a great summer!
Joseph Sungail

My wife and I are going on the rafting trip, we're very excited to meet the UNECOM community and make some new friends. :D

I had a question about lectures, do the professors usually post powerpoints of their lectures before class so that we have them available during lecture?

Also if anyone has any suggestions for jobs in the Biddeford area, my wife is on the hunt. She's a music teacher but she's open to secretary work or anything that requires organizational skills.

If they use ppts, they usually post them. Except for pathology. You won't get those. Pharm uses pdf files. But most stuff is posted and downloadable with a paper copy in your box before lecture.

Thats great, I just ordered my x61 tablet and I really want to be able to use it to write notes on powerpoint lectures without having to collect tons of printouts. :D

Thats great, I just ordered my x61 tablet and I really want to be able to use it to write notes on powerpoint lectures without having to collect tons of printouts. :D
Di-tto

that's what I do on my older X41 tablet. Wouldn't have it any other way. Make sure you get used to the OneNote program in MS Office for those profs with pdfs. You can flag questions and important/stressed points on there too for quick recall.

For anyone interested and heading out to UNECOM, I have a four bedroom, 2.5 bath house that will have three rooms available for rent. I am a third year who is starting my rotations in S. Maine and will be living there. My three other roomates of two years are moving out for their rotations. The house is 3.5 miles from UNE right off Pool rd in Biddeford. I am highly considering putting in a pellet stove to bring down the heating bill in the winter, especially with the oil prices the way they are. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to look at the place. Congrats on acceptance!! Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Dallas Rindfleisch MSIII

Hi 2012'ers!
Considering the current chatter on the forum regarding laptops I'd like to say I'm trying to get rid of an X61 Tablet PC that I used maybe 5 times. Check out my posting in the Classified forum for the details. It works quite well, comes with an extra battery, extra stylus and a carrying case/tablet sleeve.
PM or IM me with questions.
Congrats to you all on your acceptance to UNECOM!
Cheers,
Steve

I have books for 1st year classes and 2nd year classes for sale

In addition, I have the complete medical kit for 450.00 (3M Littman Cardiology III steth, welch Allyn diagnostic kit (opthalmo + otoscope), blood pressure cuff, pocket eye chart, two tuning forks (high and low freq), and reflex hammer. If you buy the complete medical kit, i'll give you the Bates Guide to History and Physical examination Text Book + case study companion FREE. (its a really good deal)

PM me

Hey Guys,

I will be attending UNECOM in Aug. too:)

What is everyone doing about health insurance? I know the school offers it, but I remember during my interview, one of the guides said that another organization offers it for cheaper. Any advice?

Thanks so much!

the school insurance has, in the past, been quite expensive and not very good (so I heard). SOMA and AMSA both have cheaper options, but be prepared to have almost every claim denied (which I hear is common with the school insurance too).

Ah, yes, the wonderful world of health insurance. All built on how to make you pay for something they can bury you in paperwork for until you just pay for it yourself and then they don't have to.

the school insurance has, in the past, been quite expensive and not very good (so I heard). SOMA and AMSA both have cheaper options, but be prepared to have almost every claim denied (which I hear is common with the school insurance too).

Ah, yes, the wonderful world of health insurance. All built on how to make you pay for something they can bury you in paperwork for until you just pay for it yourself and then they don't have to.

Is it worth going with the AMSA or SOMA insurance over the school's?

Aetna/Chickering is the school insurance and yes it is a bit pricier compared to the SOMA and AMSA insurance options. My 1st year, I did not have any issues with Aetna/Chickering, I thought they were quite good, relatively, compared to my prior health insurance companies. I chose the school insurance b/c it was easier and less hassle to set up.

For typical healthcare costs (routine physicals, labs, OMM here on campus) I have had nothing but the best of luck with Aetna/Chickering. Now, the horror story begins with me being hit by a drunk driver back in September. Aetna/Chickering has been TERRIBLE regarding all of the claims for my surgeries, ortho surgeon's fees, labs, x-rays, everything related to something I had no control over (ie: I didn't ask to be hit by a drunk driver nor did I have the foresight to call Aetna for PRE-APPROVAL!!)

So, if you just need to meet the requirements of having health insurance, and you are no longer covered by your parent's or spouses/significant other's policy then go for the SOMA or AMSA if you need to be thrifty. They have their own issues as well, Shyrem and a few of my other classmates have had most everything denied by them and are continuing to battle with their claims department. Aetna is OK, less hassle perse with the necessary medical fees. Just don't get hit by a drunk driver or require a lot of coverage for say diabetes meds and the like. We have a classmate who has type 1 diabetes and has had issues with Aetna covering her insulin and what not.

Health Insurance is pure evil...unfortunately you have to choose a plan to be enrolled here. I suggest looking at all of the policies available, comparing them not only for $$ but also for what YOU personally might need coverage for. I have also heard of individuals going with one of the Blue's (Blue Cross/Shield or whatever it is these days).

Just my $0.02...
Cheers,

Greetings!
Im attending UNECOM in August! Just wanted to say hello, see if any 2nd years out there or anyone else has a bit of advice for what I should be doing to prepare myself, past the immunizations, computer req's, health insurance, and all the other junk.

I am mainly concerned I guess with books, a PDA, and any random pieces of advice anyone has.

And, of course, to meet my new classmates! I'm very excited to begin. :)

OK, sorry to post twice in a row, but I DO have a specific question.

I just bought a house in Portsmouth. I planned on commuting, but now realize its about 50 minutes from UNE! I don't know if this is do-able? Any advice? I was thinking of renting a place in Biddeford as a crash pad but maybe I should be looking for something that I will be spending more time at than only 1-2 nights a week? Does anyone else plan to commute? :scared:

Hey Craemer, great to meet you!

I have been buying a few books used from ads on craigslist but per advice from this board have decided to wait on the PDA for now. As far as housing is concerned, I cannot speak to commuting but I can imagine it would be a strain.

Greetings!
Im attending UNECOM in August! Just wanted to say hello, see if any 2nd years out there or anyone else has a bit of advice for what I should be doing to prepare myself, past the immunizations, computer req's, health insurance, and all the other junk.

I am mainly concerned I guess with books, a PDA, and any random pieces of advice anyone has.

And, of course, to meet my new classmates! I'm very excited to begin. :)
As far as immunizations and computer requirements, you should have received a packet with all of this info. If you have not, i would contact the school as some of this stuff they are expecting within the next couple of weeks!

There have been students who have commuted from an hour away, and we have several in our class who commuted from NH. It's doable. It just takes planning. Be prepared to be disciplined about anatomy, pathology and histology lab time. Make sure you get all your on-campus stuff done in a timely manner and then rest up at home. The winter driving isn't too bad either. They know how to clear a road up here in Maine, and if it gets really bad there are usually classmates happy to offer a couch.

Thanks everyone for providing advice on health insurance!!! I think I will try to get something else.

Thanks!

I was fortunate enough to be covered through my husband's health insurance once that kicked in.

CraeMer, just wait to buy books (except for Rohan's if you can get that one for a good price). Look through the c/o 2011 thread for advice there -- it's still good. But whatever you do, do NOT NOT NOT buy every book they list as "required".

And you won't need a pda until 3rd year. Look at computers - it will be your lifeblood unless you're really stuck on paper/pen (although you'll still need to bring it for online quizzes and stuff like that).

Thanks for the help ShyRem, Atrain. I was about to buy a PDA and maybe get a rental in Biddeford, but I'm going to hold out for now.

Ahhhh so close to start this thing!! Can't wait.

So....................... I have another question. I know UNECOM is very family practice-oriented. Do you think this is a limitation for someone who wants to specialize in, say, pathology ? Things I should have been asking awhile ago, but I guess my state of mind changes on the fly.

Oh my, I have lots of questions, actually, but I won't dominate the board. I'm sure I'll get it all figured out when things get rolling.

Happy Summer!!!

Thanks everyone for providing advice on health insurance!!! I think I will try to get something else.

Thanks!

Keep us/me posted as to what you find. I am sure a lot of people would be interested. I have a tendnacy to want to get the best deal but am too lazy to look for it. :laugh:

~K~

Definitely. You can do whatever you want. I think there might even be a neurosurgery resident recently.

Greetings All,

Just found out that I got a seat!

I'll be seeing everyone in August, but before then, I was wondering if people could post a book list so I can begin shopping for used texts ASAP.

or perhaps buy last year's from outgoing students...

Greetings All,

Just found out that I got a seat!

I'll be seeing everyone in August, but before then, I was wondering if people could post a book list so I can begin shopping for used texts ASAP.

or perhaps buy last year's from outgoing students...

Congrats on your acceptance!!!
I don't think a book list has bee released yet. I'm not sure fi anyone has one from last year - or if it would be the same

do NOT go nuts buying books yet. The MSIIs should be sending out a review list of what books they found indispensible, what ones they used for doorstops, what ones were worth their weight in gold, and which ones they really wish they hadn't wasted a dime on.

Congrats on your acceptance!

I will also be commuting from southern NH...Exeter area. Not a bad drive...hopefully I can down load the lectures and listen on my way home...

You should be aware not every lecturer allows their lectures audio taped. BacT for one when I took it.

do NOT go nuts buying books yet. The MSIIs should be sending out a review list of what books they found indispensible, what ones they used for doorstops, what ones were worth their weight in gold, and which ones they really wish they hadn't wasted a dime on.

Congrats on your acceptance!

I agree. Wait for the MSII feedback, but my 2 cents are to check out the Ridiculously Simple books for any class. If you are a visual learner they are gold. Microbiology, in particular, is fantastic (bacteriology, virology and parasitology all in one book). Also, there is a big green book on Osteopathic Principles. It's well over a hundred bucks, and you need it once for all of years 1 and 2. Check it out at the library. Of course, if you want a good osteopathic reference, it's a good book. But as far as getting through the first 2 years are concerned, it's a waste of money.

I am interested in knowing what experienced UNECOM'ers think is necessary in a laptop for class...

I know that it must have wireless, and applications to open PowerPoint Lectures and .pdf's. What else...does it need to have Java and Flash installed in the Web Browser to take the online quizzes in OMM? Anything else?

I'm trying to spend the least amount possible on a laptop and then buy a nicer desktop that will last longer...this is my angle, but I'm open to suggestions.

I noticed that ShyRem used a Tablet PC for writing notes during class. I'd love to hear the reasoning for using that in lieu of old-fashioned paper and pencil. Now that I'm typing, I know that ShyRem said that it was helpful for jotting quick notes alongside .pdf's for future consideration.

Muchas Gracias