UNC Pharmacy Fall 08' Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I talked to Pam today, and here are the things that I found out.
1) They will be notifying people about the decision on a day to day basis up until the end of next week.

2) You only need to turn in the information packet that was given during the interviews after you are notified of your acceptance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. It's nice to have an end to this in sight. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to those who were accepted to UNC and mailed in the acceptance paperwork and deposit,

Did you get any type of confirmation back from the school saying they received everything and your spot is sealed? I got an e-mail about registering for classes and I know they deposited my check, but I am a little nervous about closing doors at other schools until I hear 100% confirmation from the Pharmacy School that there is a seat with my name on it.....

Anyone else feel the same way :rolleyes:

Thx

I mailed my deposit to reach UNC by the deadline Feb22. I emailed on Feb 22 to let them know of my acceptance. So far they have cashed my check. Got an e-mail back from Pam acknowledging my email....That is good enough for me. I have rejected other offers. I have not heard about the classes yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
if they deposited your check (like they did mine) then you should be good to go!

Yup, they deposited my check, so I guess I will assume I am good to go. I did e-mail student services yesterday just to be on the safe side, but have not heard back. Thanks :D

Does anyone know if UNC requires calculus based physics? Their website and pharmcas both say General Physics I & II, which at my school is calc-based (College Physics A & B are the algebra/trig based courses).. however, under the transfer equivalence page both of these course sequences transfer as General Physics at UNC. I did a search on here but only found one post (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3804573&postcount=5).. just figured I'd check with those of you accepted before I called the school as they're probably really busy this time of year! Thanks in advance. :)

Does anyone know if UNC requires calculus based physics? Their website and pharmcas both say General Physics I & II, which at my school is calc-based (College Physics A & B are the algebra/trig based courses).. however, under the transfer equivalence page both of these course sequences transfer as General Physics at UNC. I did a search on here but only found one post (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3804573&postcount=5).. just figured I'd check with those of you accepted before I called the school as they're probably really busy this time of year! Thanks in advance. :)

No. You can take Physics 104 (non-calc based) or Physics 116 (calc based) within the UNC curriculum and still receive credit. Both will work. Hope this helps.

No. You can take Physics 104 (non-calc based) or Physics 116 (calc based) within the UNC curriculum and still receive credit. Both will work. Hope this helps.

It does, thanks for the quick reply!

I actually was able to set up my Onyen account today and sign onto blackboard already! woohoo!

How did you set up your account? I have been looking around but not successful yet!

Woo hoo! :laugh:
I just got my acceptance email and I interviewed only two weeks ago!
Does anybody know of any good places to live, i'm coming in from Texas and don't know the area. Any help would be great.
:luck: Must be the luck of the Irish! :luck:

Hey, congrats! Haha, I heard back in 2 weeks too. I was pretty shocked. I guess we'll both be UNC class of 2012! As far as a place to live, I would recommend The Verge Apartments in Durham. I've lived here for two years now, and it's pretty nice. It's a very quiet area, and they even have a shuttle bus that goes to and from campus every 30 minutes on weekdays. The rent might be a bit steep now, but it was $550/mo. for me. Good luck with finding a place to live though and congrats again!

Woo hoo! :laugh:
I just got my acceptance email and I interviewed only two weeks ago!
Does anybody know of any good places to live, i'm coming in from Texas and don't know the area. Any help would be great.
:luck: Must be the luck of the Irish! :luck:

Congratulations!! By two weeks ago, do you mean the March 6 interviews?

For everyone who has been accepted, are you planning to live alone? or with a roommate? Let me hear what your opinions are!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I was wondering if anyone who interviewed on the March 10th date has heard anything (good or bad)......

I'm losing hope. I just want to know!

I'm losing hope. I just want to know!
I am so freakin nervous. I saw one of rejection thread and I am almost losing my hope also. When did you intervew, EOS?

MissWash, I interviewed 2/21. I am going insane here. If I don't hear something soon, I might explode.

MissWash, I interviewed 2/21. I am going insane here. If I don't here something soon, I might explode.
I actually interviewed on the same day. I have been exploded. I am trying to recover from checking the posts here. Good luck. Are you by the way an instater or out-of stater?

In. Are you in Washington? Best of luck to you too.

Interviewed 2/21. Received rejection letter today. Obviously, they don't care if you are in-state, have a 3.981 GPA, a 99%tile PCAT score, and will have a 4-year degree with 2 majors. Thank you UNC-SOP.

this scares me... because my stats aren't that good

Yes. I'm also currently enrolled at UNC. Still waiting for any kind of email.....

Interviewed 2/21. Received rejection letter today. Obviously, they don't care if you are in-state, have a 3.981 GPA, a 99%tile PCAT score, and will have a 4-year degree with 2 majors. Thank you UNC-SOP.

Don't let this freak you out pharmaC and Matthew.... My stats aren't that great either and I got in, so obviously they're looking for more than just good grades

My mom just called and said I had gotten the acceptance packet at my home address. I still have not gotten an email but I'll take the good news anyway I can. Good luck to everyone! See you in the fall.

My mom just called and said I had gotten the acceptance packet at my home address. I still have not gotten an email but I'll take the good news anyway I can. Good luck to everyone! See you in the fall.

Congratulations!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Wow...I'm very sorry to hear that. You seem to be taking it better than I would. This really doesn't make sense though...why would they give you an interview and then reject you? With those grades, I'm 99.9% sure that another school will value you more.

Congrats Matthew!

Hey everyone,
I know that probably 95% of college students have a facebook account and thought it would be cool to start a UNC Pharmacy 2012 group on there. If you want to message me your name I could send everyone an invite. It would just give everyone a chance to discuss questions about housing, getting all the papers in order, meeting each other etc. It was just a thought but I thought it might be worth it. Thanks and congrats to everyone who has been accepted.

Sounds like a good idea to me! Congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted.

Oh, and my stats are definitely not a 3.9 and 99% so I'm sure that UNC looks at other things like work experience and the interview. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

I had my interview on January 22nd and I haven't hear a peep. I'm getting really anxious at this point. I sent them an email since they don't let you talk to anyone over the phone (a couple unc pharmacists I work with told me to do this. I wouldn't have tried to call otherwise). What bugs me is that my guy friend who interviewed on the same day with me got his acceptance exactly 8 days later. It's been almost 8 weeks now and I still don't know. I was waitlisted last year so I hope they take that into account with the 97 pcat. Otherwise my stats aren't that great and I'm almost sure I bombed the interview. Their whole "take as long as possible" stance confuses me. :confused:

I had my interview on January 22nd and I haven't hear a peep. I'm getting really anxious at this point. I sent them an email since they don't let you talk to anyone over the phone (a couple unc pharmacists I work with told me to do this. I wouldn't have tried to call otherwise). What bugs me is that my guy friend who interviewed on the same day with me got his acceptance exactly 8 days later. It's been almost 8 weeks now and I still don't know. I was waitlisted last year so I hope they take that into account with the 97 pcat. Otherwise my stats aren't that great and I'm almost sure I bombed the interview. Their whole "take as long as possible" stance confuses me. :confused:
Do you still have the number on the interview invite email? There was a number for you to call Pam directly to confirm your acceptance to the interview. Call that number again, she should be able to pick up the phone right away.

Well, I'm totally bummed. Got my letter today in the mail. In-state wait list. In other words, better luck next time I guess. Doesn't sound like good odds to me. :( Good luck everybody.

Funny, I never come on to student doctor because it's depressing seeing how many people are stressing like crazy, just like me. I finally got my letter today; it's BASICALLY an acceptance. The catch is, it's for the Elizabeth City partnership. I would be getting the UNC degree, I just wouldn't be in chapel hill. I'd be in elizabeth city with 10-15 students for 3 years straight, and lower on the ladder when it comes to being assigned AHEC. Of course I'm happy, but the nitpicker in me, since I really love chapel hill, is wondering what my chances would be if I just chose to waitlist for the main campus. This option seems like I'd be seriously screwing myself. What do you think? I have to decide by march 31st. And yes, I really do want to go to pharmacy school.

Well, I'm totally bummed. Got my letter today in the mail. In-state wait list. In other words, better luck next time I guess. Doesn't sound like good odds to me. :( Good luck everybody.
I am sorry to hear that. For my case, I have not received anything yet. So, I called Pam today again to check my status. She said again that my file was still under review. How long has my file been reviewed for? I don't have that much information about myself to learn. I think a month is enough for them to finish reviewing. FYI, they said that they were still reviewing applications and this Friday is not the last day for them to notify people about acceptance/rejection. Keep hoping.
EOS, I am sorry that you were waitlisted. I didn't even know that UNC has the waitlist. Gosh, this waiting is killing me.

Funny, I never come on to student doctor because it's depressing seeing how many people are stressing like crazy, just like me. I finally got my letter today; it's BASICALLY an acceptance. The catch is, it's for the Elizabeth City partnership. I would be getting the UNC degree, I just wouldn't be in chapel hill. I'd be in elizabeth city with 10-15 students for 3 years straight, and lower on the ladder when it comes to being assigned AHEC. Of course I'm happy, but the nitpicker in me, since I really love chapel hill, is wondering what my chances would be if I just chose to waitlist for the main campus. This option seems like I'd be seriously screwing myself. What do you think? I have to decide by march 31st. And yes, I really do want to go to pharmacy school.

Eighthchord,

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance!!! Being a current UNC student, I know exactly what you mean about loving Chapel Hill. However, in my honest opinion, I would just go wherever they let me go and not take the chance on the waitlist. I remembering reading in one of your earlier posts that you were waitlisted before....so now you're in. I have often thought about this possibility happening to me because of my not-so-great stats, but then I realized that a Pharm.D is a Pharm.D-- regardless of which campus I attend. I completely understand where you are coming from, but I would have to go with ECSU. ( I apologize if I sound mean or anything)

Congratulations!! I agree with tryin2beapharmd. You should just take the spot instead of being on waitlist. Being on the waitlist is too risky at this point. You don't want to waste another year. PharmD is PharmD. You will get a degree from UNC at the end of your Pharmd year.

For everyone who has been accepted, are you planning to live alone? or with a roommate? Let me hear what your opinions are!

I am in the process of getting a house in the Southpoint area. I will be looking for two roommates. Moving in during the summer would be a plus. I'm thinking the rent will be $500/month plus 1/3 utilities. You would have your own bedroom, garage space, and access to the kitchen, living room, and washer/dryer. Message me for more details. :)

Is there a female that has been accepted and is need of a roommate? I am coming in from out of state and would be moving hopefully some time during the summer to start establishing residency. Any takers???

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted. I have a question for those who got accepted to Elizabeth City. How did you get assigned at Elizabeth City? Did you put down Elizabeth as a possibility when filling out your application?
I, myself, didn't put anything but Chapel Hill and have not heard anything. I now regret that I should have put down EC also as an option.

i got accepted to the ECSU Campus. i dunno what i should do... i already got into a school out of state but i really wanted to be in Chapel Hill.... :(

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted. I have a question for those who got accepted to Elizabeth City. How did you get assigned at Elizabeth City? Did you put down Elizabeth as a possibility when filling out your application?
I, myself, didn't put anything but Chapel Hill and have not heard anything. I now regret that I should have put down EC also as an option.

I was wondering this also. I'm in the exact same situation-I specified UNC only. I've been giving that a lot more thought now, since it is late into the process and I still haven't heard anything (although at this point I don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing). :confused:

If you applied to UNC Chapel Hill. They are the ones who offered you Elizabeth City or you can be wait-listed for Chapel Hill. Read one of the previous posts. The person wants to go to CH but they only offered EC.

If you applied to UNC Chapel Hill. They are the ones who offered you Elizabeth City or you can be wait-listed for Chapel Hill. Read one of the previous posts. The person wants to go to CH but they only offered EC.

Yes, I read the post, however misswash82 and I wanted to know if on the supplemental application the poster specified whether they wanted UNC only, or did they put that they prefer UNC and would consider ECSU.

I did Undergrad at UNC and live near UNC. So they were my first choice. I can not see the supplemental form now. But what I recall from memory is that I did not show any preference and left it to them. My PCAT is low 90s (read it very low 90) and GPA under 3.2. I did not think I would get into UNC. I did have great LORs from UNC professors. Luckily for me, I was offered a spot at Ch Hill.....For me it is-state, fee is half of every where else plus a school with a great name and a great college town.....woooohhhhhhooooo.

Good luck to every one who is waiting. I can feel your pain. I had to do it for 10 days after the interview.

I finally heard something from UNC. After interviewing at the first session on Dec 17th, they had a solid 3+ months to decide to put me on wait list. I look forward to getting a definite response in the summer...

...good luck to everyone else waiting