UNC Pharmacy Fall 08' Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks guys!

I'm out-of-state in CA.

I didnt receive any email regarding acceptance at all. Just snail mail. Unfortunately i ripped off half of the envelope so cannot tell you guys when exactly was it mailed out.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks guys!

I'm out-of-state in CA.

I didnt receive any email regarding acceptance at all. Just snail mail. Unfortunately i ripped off half of the envelope so cannot tell you guys when exactly was it mailed out.

lol on the envelope. Congrats on getting accepted!

I'm leaving for UNC tomorrow. I've got to get up in five hours...eek. It is way too early to be considering bed already for me.

Thanks guys!

I'm out-of-state in CA.

So did anyone else hear back? I'm wondering if a whole wave of people has heard about their acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
So did anyone else hear back? I'm wondering if a whole wave of people has heard about their acceptance.
You are an instater, right? He/she is an out-stater. So it may be different for instaters. Don't lose hope yet.

I have accepted, but have not seen anything about getting a UNC e-mail address....it seems a bit early, don't you think?

for those who actually accepted and are enrolling, did you get your UNC email account / onyen? I've tried signing up for it, but it says unc can't offer one at this time

I was an undergrad at UNC. All the PID, ONYEN. email accounts were all given out at the orientation time. Can't remember if it was a couple of days earlier or during the orientation. As some one mentioned, PID is like your social insurance number while you are in UNC.

I was accepted to UNC this past weekend. I didn't receive an email, only received the packet in the mail. I decided to go! Pretty pumped too. From San Diego, CA so it's going to be a big move.

Also, anyone having difficulty trying to contact admissions or student services? I've tried calling and e-mailing and no response or person there. I know what their pre-reqs are, and I am confident I have fulfilled all of them, but can I get people's opinion?

I have 3 hourse of Calculus and I already have a B.S. in Biology (so I am a 2nd degree applicant)....I am taking Calc 2 and English 2 right now bc I was doing it for other schools. But now that I know I am going to UNC, I don't believe I need these two classes, and I want to withdrawl. I can't get in touch with them to confirm if I withdrawl if it will hurt me. I just don't want to do anything stupid. Anyone know have an opinion whether or not I should just drop the courses...I really don't want to take them and finish them.

Also, anyone else having trouble contacting someone. If not, please let me know the number or office to reach them at.

thanks

Here is the academic advising sheet they give to students who want to head down the pharmacy path. Just scroll down and open the pdf file labeled pharmacy. You don't need the Calc II course but you do need to finish 2 english requirements. Congrats on the acceptance. Hope this helps.

http://advising.unc.edu/new-curriculum-worksheets

I have tried to call and email also, but not a single response back from them. Perhaps Pam is out of office for awhile.
Congrats on your acceptance, zolape01. When did you have interview?

I was accepted to UNC this past weekend. I didn't receive an email, only received the packet in the mail. I decided to go! Pretty pumped too. From San Diego, CA so it's going to be a big move.

Also, anyone having difficulty trying to contact admissions or student services? I've tried calling and e-mailing and no response or person there. I know what their pre-reqs are, and I am confident I have fulfilled all of them, but can I get people's opinion?

I have 3 hourse of Calculus and I already have a B.S. in Biology (so I am a 2nd degree applicant)....I am taking Calc 2 and English 2 right now bc I was doing it for other schools. But now that I know I am going to UNC, I don't believe I need these two classes, and I want to withdrawl. I can't get in touch with them to confirm if I withdrawl if it will hurt me. I just don't want to do anything stupid. Anyone know have an opinion whether or not I should just drop the courses...I really don't want to take them and finish them.

Also, anyone else having trouble contacting someone. If not, please let me know the number or office to reach them at.

thanks

The admission office isn't responding, but they are understaffed as well. During the interview, they went over each interviewee's pre-reqs to ensure everyone was on track and to let you know if anything was outstanding... what did they say to you during that portion of the interview? Generally speaking, Calc has to be completed, but if you have a degree prior to 2006 then General Education requirements (ie English) are waived.

Congrats on the acceptance...

for those who actually accepted and are enrolling, did you get your UNC email account / onyen? I've tried signing up for it, but it says unc can't offer one at this time

It wont let me get the onyen either..... I got an email about registering for classes but I didnt understand it.... Did you?

Well I had 1/2 hour of sleep before that interview bc I slept at BWI. The whole interview is a haze to me so I don't remember exactly what Pam said while going over the pre-reqs, but I was pretty sure I had everything covered. I think I'm just over stressing over nothing.

My interview was mid Feb. Something like the 14th...don't remember the exact date.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling tomorrow will be the day when the wait is over and we will all hear the good news!

I have a feeling tomorrow will be the day when the wait is over and we will all hear the good news!

Cheers to being optimistic! I check my mailbox everyday to end up disappointed :( One of my friends called Pam who said that we should expect something during the first 2 weeks of March. Kinda contradictory since the impression was to get it very soon!

Cheers to being optimistic! I check my mailbox everyday to end up disappointed :( One of my friends called Pam who said that we should expect something during the first 2 weeks of March. Kinda contradictory since the impression was to get it very soon!
When did your friend call Pam? I emailed her several times and there hasn't been any response from her yet. But I am guessing she is very busy getting ready for another set(s) of interview. I hope we hear back soon, though.

I interviewed today and they said we would hear back before the end of the month.

I am still in shock about the events on campus.......

RIP Eve Carson

I interviewed today and they said we would hear back before the end of the month.

I am still in shock about the events on campus.......

RIP Eve Carson

I was feeling happy after my interview until I read about the sad news. She was such a good person....she will be missed.

I have tried to reach someone at UNC for 4 days now, and no response. Is everyone else having an issue getting into contact with someone at Admissions or Student Services?

also, I have no idea when or if I put that I would go to Elisabeth City State...would it say on your acceptance letter? or do they just assign you there later?

As far as I know, it's hard to get a response from UNC. It usually takes a longer time for them to respond. So just wait because i think eventually they will answer you. :)

Good luck

When did your friend call Pam? I emailed her several times and there hasn't been any response from her yet. But I am guessing she is very busy getting ready for another set(s) of interview. I hope we hear back soon, though.

This was sometime last week I believe... I haven't even tried calling, I know they are getting swamped and I would hate to be "that annoying applicant" lol

I don't want to be annoying either, but I want to know asap if I can drop some courses that I don't believe I need anymore.

Also, anyone know about the Elisabeth City State thing...if it says on your acceptance that you were going there or if you were actually studying at UNC campus? (I don't remember if we had to check yes or no to E.C.S.U.)

I don't want to be annoying either, but I want to know asap if I can drop some courses that I don't believe I need anymore.

Also, anyone know about the Elisabeth City State thing...if it says on your acceptance that you were going there or if you were actually studying at UNC campus? (I don't remember if we had to check yes or no to E.C.S.U.)

You should have the piece of paper included in your interview packet w/ all your pre-req information. It should state what you have left to fulfill, if any... Mabye you lost it. If you can find that then you will know if you can drop the classes

I called Pam today and asked her when I should expect to hear from the school. She said that applications were being reviewed and decisions will be notified in 2 weeks from now. God, this seems like such a long waiting for me.
Good luck!!

I'm so happy right now! I just got an email this morning notifying me of my acceptance into the UNC School of Pharmacy! Hooray! It says that I should be receiving my packet in 5-7 days at my current address. I can't believe I got in to my first choice!

misswash, when did you interview?

I'm so happy right now! I just got an email this morning notifying me of my acceptance into the UNC School of Pharmacy! Hooray! It says that I should be receiving my packet in 5-7 days at my current address. I can't believe I got in to my first choice!
Voluble, congrats~~!!!! Did anyone else interviewed on 2/21 get their acceptance email?

I called Pam today and asked her when I should expect to hear from the school. She said that applications were being reviewed and decisions will be notified in 2 weeks from now. God, this seems like such a long waiting for me.
Good luck!!

Are you serious? 2 weeks? That is ridiculous!

I interviewed in Dec and didn't hear back until late Jan. or early Feb. I think it depends on many things. Just be patient. :)

I interviewed on 2/21 btw, forgot to mention that. It seems as if the notification time is highly variable for each case.

I interviewed 2/21. Haven't heard anything. It's rather unsettling to me that someone else from the same day has heard and I haven't. That said, I'm a little afraid to check the mail today.

By the way, kudos to everyone accepted so far!

I interviewed 2/21. Haven't heard anything. It's rather unsettling to me that someone else from the same day has heard and I haven't. That said, I'm a little afraid to check the mail today.

By the way, kudos to everyone accepted so far!
I have not heard a thing yet. No worries. Pam said she was going to send out acceptances in 2 weeks.
So, is it set that the last interview is going to be on 10th? And, is the school of pharmacy going to work during their official spring break? I know all undergraduates are out for their spring break. I was wondering how the graduate and prof. schools are.

I just got an acceptance e-mail yesterday. I'm out of state and interviewed in December. It feels so good after waiting for two and a half months!

Does anyone know the percentage of students who get in-state tuition after being at UNC for one year?

You can read the guidelines for in/out of state students. Basically, what I can read, they will classify you in or out at the begining of a program. In your case, your program will last four years. I do not believe, after your first year, you can say to them "I have been in your state (or college) one year, now can I be in-state ?".

You can read the guidelines for in/out of state students. Basically, what I can read, they will classify you in or out at the begining of a program. In your case, your program will last four years. I do not believe, after your first year, you can say to them "I have been in your state (or college) one year, now can I be in-state ?".

Sure you can... there's a residency application you fill out. You need to prove you've been there at least a year, have a driver's license, voted, paycheck w/ NC taxes paid, etc... anything that shows you are indeed a resident of the state and intend to stay in the state post-graduation...

I got my acceptance email yesterday as well... those of you still waiting, the wave is coming!! I interviewed on 1/22...

I got my acceptance email yesterday as well... those of you still waiting, the wave is coming!! I interviewed on 1/22...

Congrats to those who have heard their acceptance. I interviewed on Jan 22, and I still haven't heard back yet. I am getting very antsy, and I am definitely going to the student services office on Monday and ask them what is going on. I remember a while back that they still had not established my residency status, so maybe that has something to do with it? Anyways, I don't think I can wait another 2 weeks and I will ask them about it in person on Monday!!!

Congrats to those who have heard their acceptance. I interviewed on Jan 22, and I still haven't heard back yet. I am getting very antsy, and I am definitely going to the student services office on Monday and ask them what is going on. I remember a while back that they still had not established my residency status, so maybe that has something to do with it? Anyways, I don't think I can wait another 2 weeks and I will ask them about it in person on Monday!!!
Call Pam in direct line, not to the student service office. Her number was given on your email of interview offer.

Sure you can... there's a residency application you fill out. You need to prove you've been there at least a year, have a driver's license, voted, paycheck w/ NC taxes paid, etc... anything that shows you are indeed a resident of the state and intend to stay in the state post-graduation...

This link has a lot of useful info.

http://gradschool.unc.edu/student/guide.html

Here is a brief copy/paste of some info from the residency section:

Requirements

Qualifications

Under North Carolina law, to qualify for in-state tuition for a given term you must prove:
  • that you established your domicile in North Carolina twelve months before the beginning of that term (first day of classes), and
  • that you have maintained that domicile for at least twelve continuous months.
Proof

To prove that you established a bona fide domicile in North Carolina, you must prove:
  • that you were physically present in the state,
  • with the intent to make North Carolina a permanent home indefinitely, and
  • that you were not in North Carolina solely to attend college.

You think you're antsy, I interviewed in December, the 1st session...still nothing back. I suppose if they keep their word this time, we should know this week sometime. It sounds like some people are getting emails and then mailed letters later on, but then some people just get letters. I guess we need to just keep checking both.

You think you're antsy, I interviewed in December, the 1st session...still nothing back. I suppose if they keep their word this time, we should know this week sometime. It sounds like some people are getting emails and then mailed letters later on, but then some people just get letters. I guess we need to just keep checking both.
It seems like more of out-of-staters get their priority on getting acceptance. At some point, it makes more sense to me because it's more likely that out-of-staters would decide to stay in THEIR states when they get accepted in both school, and the admission office knows that also. Therefore, it's reasonable that out-of-staters get their acceptances first.

You're right, I realize now that there are people in December who have not heard back. I'm going to stop complaining and just be happy that I haven't been rejected or waitlisted.

I talked to Pam today, and here are the things that I found out.
1) They will be notifying people about the decision on a day to day basis up until the end of next week.

2) You only need to turn in the information packet that was given during the interviews after you are notified of your acceptance.

Hope this helps.

1) They will be notifying people about the decision on a day to day basis up until the end of next week.

2) You only need to turn in the information packet that was given during the interviews after you are notified of your acceptance.

Hope this helps.
Does this second bullet mean that we do not need to pay for the deposit money of $200?

Hope this helps.

Regarding #1, do you happen to know if this is for all applicants or just those who interviewed on your date? Thanks!

Regarding #1, do you happen to know if this is for all applicants or just those who interviewed on your date? Thanks!
rcatunc had interviewed on 1/21, I believe, and I had interviewed on 2/21. When I called Pam on last Friday, she said basically the same thing to me. She will notify people in 2 weeks. So I belive, the first bullet acts for everyone who interviewed so far.

Does this second bullet mean that we do not need to pay for the deposit money of $200?

No, the second point is to address those who were concerned whether or not turning in the papers would affect the decisions. Apparently, it has no bearing on the admissions process.

rcatunc had interviewed on 1/21, I believe, and I had interviewed on 2/21. When I called Pam on last Friday, she said basically the same thing to me. She will notify people in 2 weeks. So I belive, the first bullet acts for everyone who interviewed so far.

I also believe that it is fair game for anyone to hear back now. Apparently people who interviewed late Feb. have heard back, while a few who interviewed in December have not.