>>>>UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010!!!!<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nylesor said:
Is it advisable to make a down payment on an apartment on March 31st? If we wait, will all the good ones be taken?

We waited until late May and there were places available. I think other people waited even longer.

Members don't see this ad.

Kevbot said:
We waited until late May and there were places available. I think other people waited even longer.

Would someone PM me with Paula Watkins Email address? I'm trying to get a hold of her to no avail and I think email might be a good means.

Thanks,
YaYa

Members don't see this ad :)
I have wanted to write a sort of guide for you incoming students and I may still yet, but for now I was replying to a PM and I went off on a rant. I thought some of the advice may be useful to you guys also so here it is. You may still see this again if I ever get to write that guide but for now here are some tidbits.

Calendar: I am not certain about this yet since it hasn’t been published yet for next year but if it is like years past, the first day of classes for us will be Monday July 31st and your white coat ceremony will be the Sunday 30th. Of course, that whole first week is just orientation for you guys but its mandatory and it's kind of fun in parts so enjoy it. When classes start they will start full speed. Please feel free to approach myself or anyone if you need help getting adjusted.

Accepted students day: This is a good time and you can check out some apartments, don't forget we are throwing the famous around the world party that night so plan to be there. It is a great time and I met some of my closest friends in med school at that party before I started. I live in Echelon Glen and it is real nice but a bit pricey, you get what you pay for though. This is ideal if you want roommates because then it is more affordable and real nice, others live all over, the party that night is at one of the more popular places.

To prepare: relax... the best advice an upperclassman gave me was: "med school is a marathon not a sprint", when you get here it will be like sucking on a fire hose on full blast with information for two years, nothing you can do now will prepare you for that. Just get your living arrangements done, move in before hand and set it up, go shopping and make it livable because when it all starts there will be little time or desire to handle that. It isn't so bad really but adjusting to it is the hard part so first semester really is the worst; from there it gets much more manageable.

Books and misc. Do not buy anything yet, the book list the school gives you is massive and unnecessary. I love to read the texts so I have read most of them and can tell you what’s good but not necessary, what is necessary, and what is garbage. Others will have advice for you too. Your “big” (one of us will be assigned to you as a big sibling) will have advice and maybe some books and old tests for you and if your big sucks I am always available to help you guys out. If you want to purchase something get a stethoscope, Littman Cardiology 3 seems to be the most popular but do some research. Allheart.com is a good online place to buy.

Clubs: The heart of our student body and there are many active clubs, plan to spend a couple hundred dollars joining at least a few (SOMA alone is 60$+ and they give you a free Netter, let me go off on a mini rant, I hate Netter, not Dr Netter because I am sure he was great but the atlas. It is like trying to learn from a bad cartoon. Just because something is popular doesn’t make it good, use Rohen or something with real pictures). Don’t skip over a club because you think you are not interested in the specialty, active clubs have events suitable for everyone. ER and SOSA have intubation and suturing exercises for instance. I am the president of SOSA and I want you all to join!

I will come edit this post hopefully and add stuff, and then if I get it to a working guide I will send it to your whole class. Good luck

Great post Nate! I have a question though. We should be getting a tentative financial award letter soon. When I get this letter I am able to increase this amount correct? I underestimated how much money I will need by a few grand lol. Also, when do we actually get the money? Thank you for all your help, everyone on SDN has helped tremendously with this transition

Hey Nate and fellow UMDNJ-SOM-ers :)

My name is Polina and Im living in Brooklyn, NY right now. Today is the first day im finally excited about going to a school i can actually see myself loving. I interviewed friday, found out today, and am looking at apartments because this thought is so exciting! :) I cant wait to meet all of you in a few weeks.

I didnt think i would love UMDNJ as much as i did but this is def. the school for me. Everyone was so nice...the school is so pretty...great facilities...and I think i can handle jersey if I can part with being a new yorker.....and 95 people is perfect and i plan to know all 94! + others :) I cancelled an interview so i can attend the accepted students day which sounds like its going to be great.

Nate thanks for all your info!!!! Keep the knowledge coming...its greatly appreciated :)

Who is going to accepted students day??? So about this wild party....I am coming from brooklyn and i dont know if i should stay in a hotel over night.......how wild does this party usually get :) ? Also....is anyone bringing their parents/friends/others to the stuff that goes on during the day?

Sorry for the long post :) I have been waiting to post on sdn until i finally had something exciting to say!!

-Polina

Once again Nate hits the nail on the head. You guys are lucky to have him as a resource. Luckily for you guys us second years have been digitizing all the old stuff (reviews, back exams, etc) so the hand me down process from your big to you will be quick and easy (we got huge boxes of loads of papers, you'll get a couple cds, or email, or perhaps just a password).

Another thing to add to Nate's already impressive guide. If you want to do something now, exercise. Get yourself into the habit now and do not compromise once you get here (easier said than done, believe me). You get a free membership to the YMCA as a student here so take advantage of it (see ya on the racquetball court at 6am!).

See you guys at Accepted Students Day and the party to follow!

-J

Hey Polina, I guess we are the only future SOMers up this late. My names Mike and Ill be at accepted students day. Im pretty sure accepted students day is just for the students. Im not bringing anyone else ,but the white coat ceremony is for the family which is in July. Im not sure how wild this party is but im sure it will be a great way to meet our future classmates lol

Hey people,

One more question....I am not sure if there is one.....but maybe we can start an email/screenname/contact list of some sort...I saw one of the other class threads was doing it and it seems like a great idea.

Also, when do we get umdnj emails? I am sure someone started a facebook group of some sort :)

-Polina

racquetball hmm i always wanted to learn that. But if its some tabletennis bring it on!!

DOctorJay said:
Once again Nate hits the nail on the head. You guys are lucky to have him as a resource. Luckily for you guys us second years have been digitizing all the old stuff (reviews, back exams, etc) so the hand me down process from your big to you will be quick and easy (we got huge boxes of loads of papers, you'll get a couple cds, or email, or perhaps just a password).

Another thing to add to Nate's already impressive guide. If you want to do something now, exercise. Get yourself into the habit now and do not compromise once you get here (easier said than done, believe me). You get a free membership to the YMCA as a student here so take advantage of it (see ya on the racquetball court at 6am!).

See you guys at Accepted Students Day and the party to follow!

-J

gotgame83 said:
Hey Polina, I guess we are the only future SOMers up this late. My names Mike and Ill be at accepted students day. Im pretty sure accepted students day is just for the students. Im not bringing anyone else ,but the white coat ceremony is for the family which is in July. Im not sure how wild this party is but im sure it will be a great way to meet our future classmates lol

I suppose we are still awake practicing for future all nighters :) Nice to meet you mike! I will be there too and ready to have fun...i have been working full time this year so im really looking forward to finally starting this whole med school thing :)

mshheaddoc said:
Anyone from the Drexel IMS/MMS/MSP programs accepted this year?

I do not know about your class but there are 6 or 7 of us in the class of 2009 and 5 (I think) in 2008. You will be blown away but how helpful Drexel really was. You will be a million times happier here than you ever would have been at Drexel.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will definitely be at accepted students day (and the party...don't know if I will drink, I don't have anywhere to stay)...I am sooooo excited! Can't wait to see everyone:)

Do you remember what time the day starts? For some reason I think i remember the time 8:45am but I could be wrong.

Jaynine said:
I will definitely be at accepted students day (and the party...don't know if I will drink, I don't have anywhere to stay)...I am sooooo excited! Can't wait to see everyone:)

Hey Jaynine :) I am polina nice to meet you!...I had the same problem thinking about the party but i just decided to get a hotel their and spend the night. The hampton inn was quite nice :) So is there a total of 3 people now going to accepted students day? Where are the other 92? :D

See you guys bright and early friday...it sounds like its gonna be a longgggg but fun day! Any more details about this party?

-Polina

brodaiga said:
I am going up to NJ to the accepted students and was wondering on some advice for an apt. I am coming with a gf, so I would like a big one bedroom ~1000 sqft close to the school, with nice amentities, anyone have recomendations?

no one with any apts to recommend?

brodaiga said:

Hey there :)

I am not a student yet but after accepted students day im going to go check out apartments on saturday. If you are interested let me know and I will tell you what I find :) There were some great looking places on rent.com that were recommended by other students.

-Polina

brodaiga said:

another great website is apartments.com...also, I asked this question when I first found out I was going to UMDNJ. I think it was answered on page 5 or 6 if you want to refer back:)...also timber ridge are town homes that are fairly inexpensive and around that square footage.

Here is a website with places to live withing 5 miles of the school
http://www3.umdnj.edu/gsbstrat/documents/apartments.pdf

Polinar1021 said:
Hey Jaynine :) I am polina nice to meet you!...I had the same problem thinking about the party but i just decided to get a hotel their and spend the night. The hampton inn was quite nice :) So is there a total of 3 people now going to accepted students day? Where are the other 92? :D

See you guys bright and early friday...it sounds like its gonna be a longgggg but fun day! Any more details about this party?

-Polina

Hey Polina, as you can see, I am Jaynine...look forward to meeting you!

Doh! I'm so jealous of all of you attending accepted students day and this big party!! I'm still waiting on the waitlist... Don't have too much fun without me! hehe! ;)

Amaranthan said:
Doh! I'm so jealous of all of you attending accepted students day and this big party!! I'm still waiting on the waitlist... Don't have too much fun without me! hehe! ;)

i called 2day and they said there's been no movement on the waitlist *yet*

the alchemist said:
i called 2day and they said there's been no movement on the waitlist *yet*

Is the waitlist different from the alternate list? I'm on the alternate list...
If theyre not different, are they ranked?

nvshelat said:

Hey, just wanted to write a quick note to all u waitlisters. (and wait/alternate...same thing) Just wanted to remind u not to give up hope. Last year I was on the alternate list like forever, but then I reapplied this year was interviewed in the first group and was in by october. So there still is hope no matter what happens. They don't rank the whole thing I think, but they do have a "top ten" list they make up every time they meet. I was sent a letter in May saying I made it to the top ten, but they won't tell u where in the top ten u are. So for those of u that are like me and are dead-set on coming to SOM, and especially if u maybe applied a little late in the application process, definitely keep calling about ur status and sending letters of intention about how much u want to be there, and then if there isn't much movement on the list this year like what happened last year u can reapply in the summer and relax or work for the year in between, it wasn't so bad! Good luck everyone!

and as for the 31st... how formal are u guys dressing? i really don't wanna wear a skirt, khakis u think?

Jerseygrrl4 said:
Hey, just wanted to write a quick note to all u waitlisters. (and wait/alternate...same thing) Just wanted to remind u not to give up hope. Last year I was on the alternate list like forever, but then I reapplied this year was interviewed in the first group and was in by october. So there still is hope no matter what happens. They don't rank the whole thing I think, but they do have a "top ten" list they make up every time they meet. I was sent a letter in May saying I made it to the top ten, but they won't tell u where in the top ten u are. So for those of u that are like me and are dead-set on coming to SOM, and especially if u maybe applied a little late in the application process, definitely keep calling about ur status and sending letters of intention about how much u want to be there, and then if there isn't much movement on the list this year like what happened last year u can reapply in the summer and relax or work for the year in between, it wasn't so bad! Good luck everyone!

and as for the 31st... how formal are u guys dressing? i really don't wanna wear a skirt, khakis u think?

Business casual will be fine.

What to wear seems to always be a good question :) I think anything is fine as long as its not jeans and sneakers...It seems like anyone and everyone will be there so may as well make a good first impression. I think Nate says the dress is business casual :)

-Polina

Yea im not dressing up too much. Khakis, polo shirt, and dress boots. Thats my plan. I dont think there was any tiny print stating they would take away my acceptance for not dressing up for the accepted students day lol. We are gonna be there all day long so I want to be comfortable.

business casual should be fine. just no jeans/sneakers as mentioned above. if you're staying over at the hampton inn tell them you're here because you're a UMDNJ student and they may discount your room!!!

-J

DOctorJay said:
business casual should be fine. just no jeans/sneakers as mentioned above. if you're staying over at the hampton inn tell them you're here because you're a UMDNJ student and they may discount your room!!!

-J

you are correct doctorjay:) I stayed there for my interview and it was 84 bucks for the night as opposed to 100 something. I will be there once again this weekend. Their breakfast is awesome I might mention. I am also leaving my mom there while this party takes place.....speaking of which....any more details? :)

I was just accepted to UMDNJ. I will be there March 31 for the gathering. Also, having some trouble picking between UMDNJ and PCOM. I live in Philly currently.

nvshelat said:

i was told that the waitlist is ranked but that the adcom doesn't write the rank in the file so the office staff doesn't know and can't tell u. i don't know if the alternate list is the same as the waitlist - but the letter i got after the interview was weird. at first it said sth congratulatory and that post-interview one could be 1) accepted, 2) waitlisted, or 3) rejected. i was in category 2. i can't remember if it actually said 'waitlist' or 'alternate list'...i am guessing they r the same b/c i only remember 3 options on that letter not 4.

airzonk,
i was in your shoes 2 years ago and even put down the deposit at PCOM (great school), but i am very happy i chose SOM at this point. do a search of my posts and you'll see a lot of why UMDNJ over PCOM stuff (very tough decision indeed).

more details on the party: starts at 7pm. it's an around the world thing and will begin with "Italy" at our class president's place, i think it's scheduled for an hour at each "country"

-J

You have been very helpful and I have liked your previous posts. I think that is what makes the decision SO difficult. Thank you DoctorJay!

DOctorJay said:
airzonk,
i was in your shoes 2 years ago and even put down the deposit at PCOM (great school), but i am very happy i chose SOM at this point. do a search of my posts and you'll see a lot of why UMDNJ over PCOM stuff (very tough decision indeed).

more details on the party: starts at 7pm. it's an around the world thing and will begin with "Italy" at our class president's place, i think it's scheduled for an hour at each "country"

-J

Post your name and something about you. Maybe we can recognize each other from SDN. Let's copy and paste and continue this list.

Brodaiga-Alex, coming from Miami for the event

Hey Guys,

my name's usman, i was accepted in september, and I'll be there March 31st. I'm not bringing my family or anything, they can wait till the white coat ceremony, but i was wondering if people are gonna be bringing down their significant others?

oh yeah, lemme add to the list here:

uchoudhr-Usman, I hate my job...a lot

Everyone recognized me by my SDN pic so it was easy; people found me and thus found each other from SDN. I think a few of you have pics of yourself in the avatar so should be easy =)

uchoudhr said:
Hey Guys,

my name's usman, i was accepted in september, and I'll be there March 31st. I'm not bringing my family or anything, they can wait till the white coat ceremony, but i was wondering if people are gonna be bringing down their significant others?

oh yeah, lemme add to the list here:

Oh this will be fun :)

So my name is Polina and I have lived in brooklyn almost my whole life and vowed never to become a "jersey girl" but looks like its gonna happen! I am bringing my absolutely cool mom with me to accepted students day cause she needs to know where to come visit me in august....and i need help looking at apartments on saturday. She is a cool chick but i will leave her in the hotel for the party :D

Polinar1021: Polina, I love brooklyn!! :)

Looking forward to meeting all my future classmates!

Polinar1021: Polina, I love brooklyn!!
Gotgame83: Mike, See avatar for picture

Gotgame83: Mike, See avatar for picture[/QUOTE]
Jaynine: Jaynine (I was real creative with my username!), orginally from MD

Hi,
Can't wait for Friday. Unfortunately I don't think I can go to the party :-(, I'm so excited to start this school year... I'm a little embarassed though, i've been making fun of South Jersey for a long time now. Oh - to the waitlisters... My letter had 4 different possibilities, accepted, acceptable (but not accepted), waitlisted, and rejected. I was at first acceptable, but then about a week or two later, I was accepted. So hang in there! and if nothing else, bother the people in the office and let them know this is where you want to be.

ames211: Amy - Can't wait to meet all of you...

dakota453: Clint - from NJ - i'll have the nametag that says, "Clint"

Hey Polina, Nothing wrong with being a Jersey Girl, haha... I lived in Brooklyn for a summer, it's nice. I'm taking my friend/roommate Brian with me to the event. see u guys there!

Jerseygrrl4: Heather - pic on myspace - from northern jersey by the GWB

Jerseygrrl4 said:
Hey Polina, Nothing wrong with being a Jersey Girl, haha... I lived in Brooklyn for a summer, it's nice. I'm taking my friend/roommate Brian with me to the event. see u guys there!

MWLucky13: Matt

the alchemist said:
i was told that the waitlist is ranked but that the adcom doesn't write the rank in the file so the office staff doesn't know and can't tell u. i don't know if the alternate list is the same as the waitlist - but the letter i got after the interview was weird. at first it said sth congratulatory and that post-interview one could be 1) accepted, 2) waitlisted, or 3) rejected. i was in category 2. i can't remember if it actually said 'waitlist' or 'alternate list'...i am guessing they r the same b/c i only remember 3 options on that letter not 4.

sorry i checked my letter and there were 4 choices as someone else said. 1) accepted, 2) acceptable / alternate list, 3) hold for further review, or 4) rejected. i was in group 2. nothing about a waitlist but they did say that there's been 'no movement on the waitlist' when i called so i think waitlist = alternate list.

We waitlisters should throw a party to rival that of the accepted students. Perhaps we could do something to please the gods of med school admissions. :p

(For real...I hope that all of you have a good day on Friday and I hope that I will have have a chance to meet you as a classmate in the fall!) :)

Hey guys-
I'm Bobbie. I'm originally from North Carolina and went to Duke for undergrad. I'm now in the Masters program for Biomedical Sciences at UMDNJ-Newark campus. I'm really excited to see everyone. I have a picture on facebook so look for me.

DSTMD2Be: Bobbie-pics on facebook

Jerseygrrl4 said:

welcome DST, now it's time to update the screen name ;)

Hello UMDNJ-ers :)

I had a really great time this past friday for accepted students day. We all looked really great in our bright red t-shirts! It was also nice to put faces next to names.

Gotgame, Jaynine, Nate, brodiaga, Matt and others (whose names i cant remember at the moment)....very cool meeting you :)

Alex....i was glad to hear you found your car!

Those who didnt come to the party....you stink!! there was only a few of us from class of 2010 who made it there. But nevertheless it was a good time! I am assuming that there will be many more parties to come! Also...i know some of the other schools are hosting events before june starts. I know we are all kind of scattered but maybe we should try to have some kind of event for ourselves in april/may....maybe in jersey or philly or something like that. Just an idea :)

The rest of you who are in SDN hiding come out and post so we can all see you! See you soon everyone!

-Polina