>>>>UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010!!!!<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HunterGatherer said:
I have not made a decision yet. One day I think NYCOM and the next UMDNJ. It's a tough choice because of my family situation. I really want to make a decision in the next week and put this behind me.

congrats

Members don't see this ad.

Gotgame, where are you in south jersey? i'm up in north jersey and holding out hope that the package is in the mail.

The package was delivered to my home address in Toms River exit 80 on the parkway. I havent seen it yet but my mom called me today asking me if she could open my package and then read me the letter. The accepted students day i believe is march 31st if i remember what she said correctly, im sure I will see you there. Im probably just a day closer on the mail route then you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on Friday (1-20) I got my phone call on Tuesday (1-24)! I'm thrilled that I got in and I am proud to be in SOM Class of 2010!

Is anyone involved in SNMA (Student National Medical Association)?

Jerseygrrl4 said:
Hey everyone! I just couldn't wait for someone else to start our class thread, so here we go! I'll start by introducing myself, my name is Heather and I'm from North Jersey outside NYC (Paramus area for anyone close by). I actually applied late in the cycle last year and got put on the "accepted but we have no room left in the class" list... so for all you wait-listers out there, keep on truckin' cause there is always hope. I graduated Cornell in 2004, which makes me 23 now. I absolutely fell in love with SOM from the first time I visited and every time I go back I feel better and better about becoming a part of that community. I started my Master's at umdnj in newark after college, hated it, so after finding SOM I withdrew from that program and I've been working as an EMT to save up some cash ever since. That's pretty much what I'll be doing till school starts, and hopefully I'll be relaxing a bit over the next few months too (including some fright fest quality time for all you great adventure lovers).

Anyways, I just wanted to say a little something about myself and I hope you guys will do the same. Whats everybody doing over the next 9 or so months? I'm so excited!

I got my letter, alright. A nice, fat waitlist letter. What the fock??? Did I end up getting screwed because I was in the interview group from the end of the year and, thus, wasn't as fresh in their minds or something? Anybody have any suggestions for me, as to what I can do next? I mean, are my stats and ECs really on the lower end of the people they've interviewed?

Hey bigboy, if you dont mind me asking what is your GPA and MCAT. Im sorry to hear about the waitlist. Dean Wallace is very nice, i met with him about two weeks before my interviews but he doesnt set up personal meetings with prospective applicants but he told my friend to arrange a meeting with Paula Watkins if she wanted to talk about her application. Maybe you could do that and send them updates etc. They are very nice at allowing applicants to sit in on classes, maybe you could do that and show how interested you are. I dunno, these are just random suggestions...

My GPA and MCAT should be linked in my signature, don't know why it didn't show up, but anyway, they're 3.18, 34 Q. I'm definitely meeting with Ms. Watkins ASAP. Thanks for the suggestion. But, as I've been out of school, there's not much to update besides bank statements and blood pressure readings. Maybe I should carve "SOM" into my chest, "UMDNJ" on my forehead, and send pics to the admissions office. Yeah, I think that's my next move...

Hahaha, I think if u get an SOM tatoo they by law have to accept you. I mean cmon if thats not devotion to a school I dont know what is lol I dont know whats wrong, those stats should definitly get you in although that is just my opinion.

Yea, your signature isnt showing up. Wait come to think of it, neither is mine! Damnit

Does it mean anything that they waived my secondary app fee? They never gave me a reason for that, so I assumed it meant they really wanted my app.

I don't know what killed my app. Could it be the oral diarrhea that I had during my interview? I didn't think that it would hurt me THAT much.

I just looked at ur medapplicants profile and you seem to be a really good candidate. I dunno. Any word back from RWJ yet? I was complete there mid november. I had been calling them once a week since January 4th and all they tell is me is that I have been complete there. I called them two days ago and they said I should here something towards the latter part of next week. Maybe they will contact you too.

I really like SOM and this is probably the school that I will be at but I would like to have options even though I will pick SOM.

Honestly, my app to RWJ was more of a formality than anything. I just figured, "might as well apply to all the NJ schools." And, POOF! there goes the RWJ secondary. With no research hx, I don't expect to hear back anything from them (they seem to be geared towards that pursuit). I wouldn't sweat it, though. They seem to have an institutional ego that's out of step with their clinical education.

BigBoy said:
They seem to have an institutional ego that's out of step with their clinical education.

:thumbup:

How were your LORs and statement? Those numbers look good and even though the competition is stiff this year I wonder what is holding you back, you should definitely arrange a meeting with Paula ASAP and see what's going on. Don't give up hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted at PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM. I already deposited at PCOM but I was really waiting to here from UMDNJ-SOM and now I don't know what to do.

So I have a few questions:
1) the area, is it safe?
2) (when I have time) What is there to do for fun?
3) what are the top residencies that UMDNJ-SOM students go into?
4) I already think the school is great academically, so I don't have many questions about that.

Thanks!

Jaynine said:
I have been accepted at PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM. I already deposited at PCOM but I was really waiting to here from UMDNJ-SOM and now I don't know what to do.

So I have a few questions:
1) the area, is it safe?
2) (when I have time) What is there to do for fun?
3) what are the top residencies that UMDNJ-SOM students go into?
4) I already think the school is great academically, so I don't have many questions about that.

Thanks!

1- Its not a bad area. If you head to the west you hit camden which isnt exactly a good area. But if u head north u hit voorhees, cherry hill, mt laurel, marlton, moorestown etc. Which are all safe places. I personally dont have any concerns about stratford at all.

2- That depends what you like to do for fun.

3- If you look a few posts back there is a match list posted and an incomplete one that i posted which gives you an rough estimate. But by top residencies do u mean most common or most competitive?

regarding PCOM v. SOM, I was in the exact same situation (paid the deposit and everything). You couldn't pay me to leave SOM at this point. Very happy here. The whole PCOM v SOM thing has been discussed ad nauseum. Please do a search and you will learn lots.

-J

Let's skip the fluff, what is PCOM offering that UMDNJ isn't that is worth 60,000 dollars american? 15k x 4 years and we aren't even talking interest. That is besides for the fact that UMDNJ is a superior school ;)

On top of all that, you have a 1 in 100 chance of having me for a big brother next year!

(from Dumb and Dumber) " So your saying theres a chance?"

Whoo where do i sign up. Oh thats right, i signed up today when i waited at the post office for 45minutes behind some lady with 30 packages that didnt speak english just so i could send out the 175 fee. 1% chance to have Nate as a big bro cmon PCOM cant offer that!

I'm going to be doing the pre-matriculation program. Is anyone doing it or know anything about it?

yeah 34 mcat should carry some weight.. um anyone get accepted with subaverage gpas? like maybe 3.2ish? haha im getting antsy

Bigboy:

I'm in the same boat as you! I was apparently very, very close to getting in last year and was told what was holding me back was my late application. I was intervied in May, reapplied, interviewed again in December and *BAM!!* waitlisted AGAIN!!! I think my stats are ok, but may have blown the interview. They kept focusing on what I had done to improve my app in the last YEAR. Hello?? I reapplied 4 months after submitting my orignial application and got married in the time in between. arg!!!

Maybe I should get a tatoo, too! What do you think about a nice UMDNJ on my ankle? I could show it off and be professional by wearing skirt suits. :laugh:

amaran what kinda stats did you have... my friend was told that they actually just "raised" their entrance requirements this year because of the stiff competition.. im in the same boat as you (gonna interview in march) and i interviewed in may of last year -> waitlist also. you didnt do anything to up the application?

I had a 3.6 GPA and ok mcat (but less than 30....booo). I have a master's degree and haven't had a chance to "up" my application -- was super busy planning a wedding and working to pay for it!!! Now that things have settled down, I'm going back to the hospital to volunteer and taking the April MCATs again. I'm just afraid anything I do now is too late!

oh yeah you didnt apply to any other schools? siigh.. i was told my main deficiency was my clinical experience too so now im shadowing a physician. i hope you can talk to paula and get some more details about what to do for next year but i personally doubt your MCAT is holding you back.. lemme know if ya do find out though =T

I was actually told my GPA was the main thing holding me back. I'm doing everything else I can to up my chances, but there's no fix for my grades. From what I've heard, GPA is a bigger factor than MCAT with their equation-thing, so if you're still in school, just go to class or whatever. I forgot to do that back then.
So, I'm going after another LOR or two while I listwait. And, I'm doing the LOI. And, then there's the animal sacrifice to the gods of osteopathy. Many hecatombs.
Plus, the whole videotaped self-immolation.

BigBoy: This time around I only applied to SOM. Before, I appleid to other osteo schools, was accepted, and turned them down. What can I say? I'm a true Jersey girl! (but the question is...did I screw myself over?????)

It makes me feel about 1000 times better to know that you guys are out there struggling and as frustrated as me! Best of luck -- Keep me posted! :)

Wow, you turned down other schools for another shot at SOM? That should show them some serious dedication, right there.

Did they tell you to take the MCATs again? I mean, they're just loads of fun and all, but they do cost a few dollars and, when do the scores come back?

How badly could you have done at the interview for that to be affecting your app? My interview was seriously abysmal--literally the worst I have ever performed in any (sober) conversation in my entire life. But, somehow, I was told my interviewers were impressed and it went really well.

Maybe the interview is just to clarify any holes in your app. Or, more likely, maybe they just told me that to keep me from asking for another interview. Either way, I doubt the interview has ever been the sole factor keeping anyone out of SOM. They probably didn't like your shoes. I sure know I don't.

I just had a few questions.
1) What are some popular options of places to live near UMDNJ-SOM?
2) About how much do they cost with or without a roommate?
3) Is it common to have a roommate?
4) Do people make trips into Philly often?
5) Closest Movie Theatre and Mall? (I already know there is a Target in the area :) )
6) When can you become a New Jersey resident?

Thanks!

here goes:

1) Echelon Glen, Village, Stonington, Timber Ridge
2) varies (Voorhees a little more expensive, Lindenwold cheaper) 2br in Echelon is about 930/mo
3) many have roommates, lots others don't, if you meet someone you actually want to live with go for it, if not you'll be fine living alone
4) trips to Philly are frequent - we usually party there but there's stuff to do in south jersey too (after exams Philly is key) PATCO in Voorhees to Philly is pretty quick
5) The Ritz movie theater is actually behind Target, Echelon Mall is close by but not great, Cherry Hill mall and Deptford Mall are nicer and both of those areas have movie theaters as well
6) the minute you get your rental papers head to the DMV, get your new license, and you're an NJ resident (this state really shows us love!!!)

anything else PM me

-J

Jaynine said:
I just had a few questions.
1) What are some popular options of places to live near UMDNJ-SOM?
2) About how much do they cost with or without a roommate?
3) Is it common to have a roommate?
4) Do people make trips into Philly often?
5) Closest Movie Theatre and Mall? (I already know there is a Target in the area :) )
6) When can you become a New Jersey resident?

Thanks!

First off, when I came to visit I went into philly a couple of times and I do love the city so far. South street was pretty happening, are there any other places you guys would recommend? Do u go to atlantic city ever?

Jaynine, Without a roomate it gets a little pricier cause you have to go for a studio or 1 bedroom. I will be spending a bit more money cause I'm gonna buy a condo, but I will be looking for 2-3 roommates to come live there with me. It's a plus for them since rent will be about the same as renting with other roommates, but will include utilities and wireless internet and the whole apartment other than their bedroom will be furnished with all new furniture and appliances. Plus it is guaranteed not to be a bomb since it will be mine and I'll want to keep it nice. Anyways, you, and anyone else, are welcome to pm me if you might be interested but I was gonna also wait till march 31 to see then who wanted to room with people and see who i clicked with (even though I know we're all gonna be one big happy family at SOM, that seems to be the slogan, haha). I just figured since I saw your questions I would throw that in.

do we go to Atlantic City ever??? hahaha, of course, our big conferences are all held there (AROC, sports med club, etc.)!!! You can actually take the train down there real cheap and it takes about 45min. This school really is a hidden gem.

-J

one more piece of advice, if you have a car and it's in your parents' name KEEP IT THAT WAY especially if you currently live outside NJ. car insurance is OUTRAGEOUS here and if the car is registered under your parents you can keep their insurance. if it's under your name you will need to buy insurance here and change your license plates.

you DO NOT need to have your car registered here in NJ to get the in state tuition (it sometimes looks that way on the forms they give out but I assure you 100% it is NOT necessary), you just need a valid NJ drivers license.

-J

DOctorJay said:
one more piece of advice, if you have a car and it's in your parents' name KEEP IT THAT WAY especially if you currently live outside NJ. car insurance is OUTRAGEOUS here and if the car is registered under your parents you can keep their insurance. if it's under your name you will need to buy insurance here and change your license plates.

you DO NOT need to have your car registered here in NJ to get the in state tuition (it sometimes looks that way on the forms they give out but I assure you 100% it is NOT necessary), you just need a valid NJ drivers license.

-J

Thanks! You have been real help:)

I've been accepted at UMDNJ-SOM and am very excited to attend in Aug. I recently received the info on accepted students day, March 31, and have a few questions:

1) Do most students attend with parents/family?

2) What is the mode of dress for the day? (i.e. suit, or just dress pants/shirt)

Thanks! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,
can someone please tell me which apts are closest to campus? and decent ones close to campus?

on google maps, i saw one right behind Kennedy hospital, how is that ?

still debating to rent or buy. I will visit the school this weekend!

also, i got a letter about PBL path....what do you recommend? how is the feedback from students?

i like the new umdnj-som website!

hi,

for the march 31st acceptance day, do a lot of students bring their family over?

can family members come to the white coat ceremony if they cant make it now?

thanks.

PS: i have heard the school is starting an online forum(bulletin board) this year for housing.when will this be up?

congrats to all who got in!

will meet everyone soon!

ragda26 said:
hi,

for the march 31st acceptance day, do a lot of students bring their family over?

can family members come to the white coat ceremony if they cant make it now?

thanks.

PS: i have heard the school is starting an online forum(bulletin board) this year for housing.when will this be up?

congrats to all who got in!

will meet everyone soon!

From what I remember, not many people brought family to accepted students/housing day, but everyone of course had thier family there for the white coat ceremony. Congrats to jan and feb acceptances. :D

accepted STUDENTS day, enough said.

dress is casual, no need for a suit or tie, most of the students wear jeans to class but if you feel awkward you can dress it up a bit.

White Coat Ceremony is the big deal for your family, drag them down then.

for housing please do a search, this has been discussed many times but if you have specific questions on specific areas I'd be happy to help.

-J

i just had a question about the curriculum, I know it is changing a bit, but here it is. I know at some schools they do the curriculum as you take anatomy, histology, and embryology at the same time, you learn about (for example) the pulmonary system in each at the same time--dissect it in anatomy, look at it under the scope in histology, and learn about its development in embryology.

I was wondering if UMDNJ's curriculum was similar to this; where every subject is tied together?

Jaynine said:
i just had a question about the curriculum, I know it is changing a bit, but here it is. I know at some schools they do the curriculum as you take anatomy, histology, and embryology at the same time, you learn about (for example) the pulmonary system in each at the same time--dissect it in anatomy, look at it under the scope in histology, and learn about its development in embryology.

I was wondering if UMDNJ's curriculum was similar to this; where every subject is tied together?

If things have not changed, you do not see anatomy until second term during the spring.

Jaynine said:

http://som.umdnj.edu/education/academic_program/undergrad/docs/StudentHandbook_04.pdf
this is the link to the student handbook, you can go to the first year curriculum and check it out. it shouldn't change too much for the upcoming year I'm guessing.

medhacker said:
If things have not changed, you do not see anatomy until second term during the spring.

I believe it has changed, I THINK the incoming class this year will have anatomy in the fall instead of the spring.

I wanted to know if anyone has taken the pre-matriculation program before the start of their MSI year? Is it something most students take? Was it helpful? What didn't you like?

Are any incoming students planning on taking it?

Jaynine said:
I wanted to know if anyone has taken the pre-matriculation program before the start of their MSI year? Is it something most students take? Was it helpful? What didn't you like?

My suggestion is to take the pre-matric if you havent been in school for a few years or you dont feel that you have a good science background. Otherwise, enjoy your summer... First semester is a long one (early august to early december) and you don't want to burn out before it's over because you did prematric.

The pre-matric is supposedly valuable and the people I know who did it seemed to have an easier transition into med school however; I am not sure it is worth the time and investing your summer in it. Also, consider what Kevbot said about running out of steam because by December you are going to be needing a break and I cannot imagine how burnt out you may be after being there an extra 5 weeks or whatever and getting used to it all.
Point being, in my opinion and I made this decision also because I am a non-trad, it is valuable but not worth it. Only do this if you are extremely worried about transitioning into med school, do NOT do it because you are excited about starting and want to get going, this is the worst possible thing you can do. Hope that helped

P.S. The person to get in touch with about this is Jackie Giacobbe [email protected]

Jaynine said:

pre-matric is not graded, so it is really no pressure. They do make you sign an exclusivity contract while at it committing to attend UMDNJ-SOM only though.

guess who's back.

congrats everyone. looking forward to meeting you on march 31st.

nate, kevbot shouldn't you be in class. kevbot don't forget the gas bill.

everyone else, hang in there, its not over yet, things will still happen.

How necessary is this event? I live in FL, is it worth flying in and staying in a hotel for this event? Also, I was planning on moving to nj in late july. How will that work with financial aid because you have a nj license to get in state tuition? What is the procedure for out of staters who want to spend their summer at home?