UMDNJ-GSBS Newark 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am so proud of Tyler15. Finally someone spoke up!! doctors need some kind of interpersonal skills and most importantly some patience.

Members don't see this ad.

I am so proud of Tyler15. Finally someone spoke up!! doctors need some kind of interpersonal skills and most importantly some patience.

They also need reading comprehension and analytical skills....

THANK YOU! :)I am not in any of those courses this semester so I guess I can't approach the specific professors you mentioned. Do you know anything about Dr.Tsiagbe? It's my first semester and I want to apply this june. Just worried about LOR hopefully it all works out though. Anyone here applied to dental schools after one semester and been accepted and which schools?
Dr. Tsiagbe is one of the advisors for GSBS and teaches Oral Immunology (I think). I heard his class isn't that great and as an advisor, he's nice and maybe too optimistic??? Every time I told him my stats , he would be like "you'll definitely get into NJDS", but got waitlisted. I do know that someone who got an LOR from him and got into NJDS couple of years back.

I believe that NJDS want to see at least two semesters of GSBS but it seems like you don't want to live in NJ (don't blame you). I know people who got into Tufts and NYU when they applied in the middle of their fall semester. I don't know how they did in undergrad/DAT though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course they do. But its obvious that you lack some of the important ones!!

Talk about arrogance.....
Your continued lack of comprehension continues to prove my point - i'll take my feedback from attendings as opposed to you and Tyler who have made such "meaningful" contributions to the forum (Tyler's excellent thread here - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=957309). Anyways, i'll stop engaging you two *****s on this personal bickering.

I'll continue to help answer any questions I can in this thread.

Someone recommended working with Dr. Pinhal-Enfield - I second that. She is among the nicest people at the Newark campus. Can't speak to research interactions with her, but an excellent teacher and very easy to get along with

Your continued lack of comprehension continues to prove my point - i'll take my feedback from attendings as opposed to you and Tyler who have made such "meaningful" contributions to the forum (Tyler's excellent thread here - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=957309). Anyways, i'll stop engaging you two *****s on this personal bickering.

Someone recommended working with Dr. Pinhal-Enfield - I second that. She is among the nicest people at the Newark campus. Can't speak to research interactions with her, but an excellent teacher and very easy to get along with

Hey truth always hurts!! you will learn eventually!!

Hey Flanker, I am not going to psycho analyze you and try to figure out if the other kids bullied you when you were growing up; or perhaps you did not get enough love as a kid. I am certainly not going to get into a war of words with you in a public forum. The point is this: People are applying to medical school. You do some good things in providing helpful information. However, to use the tone; the belligerence; and childish words like "*****s", when you are a medical student, is beyond comprehension. Take this as you will. I will not respond to any negative thing you choose to say. Just think about it. It may benefit you in other aspects of your life.

Hey everyone

I'm going to be applying to this program for Fall '13. I have a 3.3 cGPA, 2.8 sGPA, and 32Q MCAT. How do you think I will fare for the MBS program?

Hey everyone

I'm going to be applying to this program for Fall '13. I have a 3.3 cGPA, 2.8 sGPA, and 32Q MCAT. How do you think I will fare for the MBS program?

you'll definitely get into the MBS program.

do well in the program (especially in the med school courses), apply early to NJMS and i'm almost positive you'll get in there for med school

Dr. Tsiagbe is one of the advisors for GSBS and teaches Oral Immunology (I think). I heard his class isn't that great and as an advisor, he's nice and maybe too optimistic??? Every time I told him my stats , he would be like "you'll definitely get into NJDS", but got waitlisted. I do know that someone who got an LOR from him and got into NJDS couple of years back.

I believe that NJDS want to see at least two semesters of GSBS but it seems like you don't want to live in NJ (don't blame you). I know people who got into Tufts and NYU when they applied in the middle of their fall semester. I don't know how they did in undergrad/DAT though...

Thanks Chada! Did you get into a dental school after GSBS program?

So has anyone applying for Fall 2013 heard anything back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very grateful for WUBear's extremely helpful and detailed posts throughout these boards. I've heard a lot of good things about this program. Small classes, professors who will write you letters, and people getting in without a glide year. I hear that if you apply they look at your MGM grade etc. and then consider you.

However, I looked at their site and I don't see information on success rate. It seems to me like this program is very customizable and so it is hard to get a correlation. I am curious to know if this program has a success rate like RFU BMS where 50+ students are fed into the medical school same year. I'm doing this to check that I did not miss out on any SMPs worth applying to. Success rate is all that I care about because that's the bottom line. I probably won't get a concrete response to this but it's food for thought.

I'm very grateful for WUBear's extremely helpful and detailed posts throughout these boards. I've heard a lot of good things about this program. Small classes, professors who will write you letters, and people getting in without a glide year. I hear that if you apply they look at your MGM grade etc. and then consider you.

However, I looked at their site and I don't see information on success rate. It seems to me like this program is very customizable and so it is hard to get a correlation. I am curious to know if this program has a success rate like RFU BMS where 50+ students are fed into the medical school same year. I'm doing this to check that I did not miss out on any SMPs worth applying to. Success rate is all that I care about because that's the bottom line. I probably won't get a concrete response to this but it's food for thought.
Not 50+. Med school class is only 170-180, a third from the gsbs is a bit much. I think the number is more like 10-15 per year.

In terms of MGM, not all gsbs students are selected to take it - you have to have good grades and/or a good MCAT relative to your peers who also wanna take MGM. I think the MGM course is capped at 10 for gsbs but it depends on the size of the med school class.

Hi - I just got accepted into the Dental Scholars Program. Do you know what they look for GPA/DAT for acceptance to NJDS? Does the dental school required a high PAT score? Which sections does the dental school focus more? How hard is it to maintain a high GPA in the program? Is it competitive or collaborative amongst the students?
I will be out of state, I appreciate your response!

What do you guys think my chances are of getting into the program with these stats?

cGPA: 2.9

GRE: Verbal 160 Quantitative 148 Analytical Writing 4.5

Hi - I just got accepted into the Dental Scholars Program. Do you know what they look for GPA/DAT for acceptance to NJDS? Does the dental school required a high PAT score? Which sections does the dental school focus more? How hard is it to maintain a high GPA in the program? Is it competitive or collaborative amongst the students?

I had a 3.8gpa in the program and a 22 on DAT and i got waitlisted (to be fair, my interview didnt go great, and my undergrad sucked). I'm not 100% sure what the criteria is but I did hear rumors that you need to do well on Fundamentals if you want in on njds. And it's definitely a plus to take some dental classes (most of them requires permission to take). The advisors say you need 3.5+ to be competitive but i think you need a 3.8 if you want a shot at njds. For maintaining high GPA, its not THAT hard but it takes some effort. If you think of this as your last chance to get into dental school, and study accordingly, you should be fine.

I'm not sure how collaborative the students are really. I commuted to school and had couple of study buddies for each class. However it seemed like the out of state kids (or those who dorm) were pretty close to each other. The facebook group is pretty helpful so you should check that out as well

When did you turn in your app? How quick was the turnaround? Also do you mind sharing your stats for those of us hoping to get in this coming Fall? Congrats though!!!

Hey all! I'm submitting my application tomorrow.

I'm Canadian, and concerned I'm a little too late. I have a 2.75 cGPA and 20 American DAT score that I wrote in February.

Will I get in?
I doubt it personally.... GPA is very on the low side, and you are Canadian - which doesn't help.

A lot of the SMPs are biased to US-citizens or permanent residents as many Med/Dent schools don't take non-US citizens.

I doubt it personally.... GPA is very on the low side, and you are Canadian - which doesn't help.

A lot of the SMPs are biased to US-citizens or permanent residents as many Med/Dent schools don't take non-US citizens.

Thanks for the input. Called the school, they said I was fine, since my DAT was pretty high.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back from UMDNJ Newark GSBS program since early April?
My application were sent in mid March, and I haven't heard anything back. I email them and got an answer saying I will receive an email with confirming my apps are complete but I still haven't heard back.
Is it possible that the classes are full already?

I really really want to go here...

Any female graduate students looking for a place to live near UMDNJ? I'm finishing the GSBS MBS program and am looking for someone to take over my lease in June.

Here's my craigslist ad: newjersey.craigslist.org/roo/3756091683.html

Please msg me on SDN or call/text me if you're interested in viewing the place.

Hey Guys, haven't been here for awhile, but I am currently in the UMDNJ MBS GSBS program in Newark, just started 2nd semester in Jan. Since I got a lot of help from previous people last year, I thought I'd do the same and try to help anyone thinking of going here next year. So feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them for you! :)
Hello,
I just saw this thread and was hoping you could help me out with something. I was accepted into the MBS program at UMDNJ-Newark, as well as the MBS program at Tufts, and I'm having a really hard time choosing which school to go to. I really like both schools, and Tufts was my first choice until I realized how expensive it was. I know tufts has a really great name, but I heard some great things about UMDNJ as well and was wondering if it makes more sense to pick UMDNJ because it's cheaper. I think both programs are essentially the same, but I was wondering, is it worth me paying twice as much money to go to Tufts if I can spend half as much to go to UMDNJ? I'm just worried that by not picking Tufts, I'd be ruining my chances of getting into different medical schools. Since you completed the program, did you think that it was able to really help and support you when trying to go to medical school?

Thanks so much!

Just sent in my application. 2.85 gpa and 31 MCAT. Haven't had the best luck with SMP's this season so I really have my fingers crossed for this one.

Has anyone heard back from UMDNJ Newark GSBS program since early April?
My application were sent in mid March, and I haven't heard anything back. I email them and got an answer saying I will receive an email with confirming my apps are complete but I still haven't heard back.
Is it possible that the classes are full already?

I really really want to go here...
I have this same concern and got the same email about a confirmation notice to be sent, but that was May 14. I've emailed them several times since then and still no response.

I have this same concern and got the same email about a confirmation notice to be sent, but that was May 14. I've emailed them several times since then and still no response.

Maybe your file is incomplete? I sent in my app via mail and called to make sure it was complete. That was sometime during the first week of May. Apparently the person who reviews apps for those interested in dental school was on vacation. The woman on the phone informed me when that admin returned, it would take 1-2 wks. I received an "official" email stating my application is now complete, dated May 15th. It read, my app. was in the review process and that I should not expect a decision until late May/June. Haven't heard a word since.:rolleyes:

Any pre-dents enrolling in the program for this fall (2013)?!?!