UMDNJ-GSBS Newark 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devz4lf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear back yet? Just got accepted via mail.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats! I'm waiting on them. Hopefully I'll hear back soon

Hey Guys, haven't been here for awhile, but I am currently in the UMDNJ MBS GSBS program in Newark, just started 2nd semester in Jan. Since I got a lot of help from previous people last year, I thought I'd do the same and try to help anyone thinking of going here next year. So feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them for you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys, haven't been here for awhile, but I am currently in the UMDNJ MBS GSBS program in Newark, just started 2nd semester in Jan. Since I got a lot of help from previous people last year, I thought I'd do the same and try to help anyone thinking of going here next year. So feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them for you! :)

Hi random question, but can you guesstimate the average age of your fellow classmates? And do you mind posting your stats when you were admitted?

what are the pro's and con's of the program?

do you think the program is better preparing you for medical school or whichever professional school you are planning on pursuing?

how are student-faculty relations? is there room for a student to become close to a professor to obtain a LOR?

i can't remember the program details right now so i might as well ask - do you take classes with the medical students and are you graded along their curve...or...do you take classes as a separate entity with graduate students but the courses are taught by the medical school faculty?

Hi random question, but can you guesstimate the average age of your fellow classmates? And do you mind posting your stats when you were admitted?
The average age of my fellow classmates are probably around 23-24. There are definitely a range of ages from those who just graduated undergrad to older students around 29-30.

Stats: 27 MCAT, 3.1 GPA

do you think the program is better preparing you for medical school or whichever professional school you are planning on pursuing?

how are student-faculty relations? is there room for a student to become close to a professor to obtain a LOR?

i can't remember the program details right now so i might as well ask - do you take classes with the medical students and are you graded along their curve...or...do you take classes as a separate entity with graduate students but the courses are taught by the medical school faculty?

- Pros: Its flexible. There really isn't much of a structure as other programs, other than a required Fundamentals course. You can decide to take it in a year or stretch it to 1.5-2 years and add a thesis if you'd like. NJMS guarantees an interview when you have finished at least 20 credits and have 28 MCAT.

-Cons: Newark isn't the greatest city to be at, but the campus is secure and you basically need to swipe your id to get into any building within the campus and there are always patrolling cops. There isn't a lot of classes you can take with Med Students, although they do offer some advance graduate courses. The classes you can take with Med students require certain criteria, so not everyone can just take it.

- I'm planning on going to Med school and I think this program is preparing me by giving me the opportunity to test how I can handle different classes, lab work, etc. So basically, I've learned how to multitask and schedule my studies better, which was something I lacked in undergrad. The classes can range from pretty much basic memorization to pretty intriguing topics, but these are graduate courses, so you can't slack off too much.

- If you want a LOR, you basically have to make yourself known to the professor. A lot of classes are big (60-70 people), so you will have to make the effort to visit the professor at his/her office hours. This program also requires a lab rotation, so that can be a good opportunity to get to know a professor and obtain a LOR since you will be working in his/her lab.

Yes and No. There are classes you can take with Med students, but there is a criteria, usually based on your gpa and mcat score. Most classes are taken with your fellow grad students, which are taught by med school professors. Each grad class has their own grading curve, so it depends on the class and is professor.

Do you recommend living on or off campus? If either, where specifically?
There is an on campus housing called 180 West Market, it's definitely expensive, but it's worth it if you want to stay close to campus, have no car, or don't plan on buying furniture since it is furnished. They offer 1 bedroom/studio, along with the usual 2 and 3 bedrooms but there is a waitlist for 1bed/studios. There is also another housing place called University Centre (UC), which is about 3 blocks away, but it is also housing for NJIT and Rutgers students, so there may be a possibility you may stay with a non-umdnj student, but you can also request when you apply. UC is also quite expensive ( ~$1023 for a single room in a 2 bedroom/1bath apt), there are no 1 bedroom/studios at UC. These places have their own garage complex, so you're not parking outside on the street and are secure and are furnished.

If you want to pay cheaper rent and have your own furniture, a lot of students live in Society hill, which is basically a bunch of apt complexes.

I do know a lot of people who are from NJ that just commutes from where ever they are to campus, but that's up to you if you want to deal with traffic, etc.

I am from out of state, so I chose to stay closer to campus since I didn't want to buy furniture, etc, and it has worked out pretty good so far. It's just expensive...

Last edited:
Another one for ya: What's the pre-med to pre-dent ratio? I know the class size is about 100 or so in total?

Also, do you happen to know the success rate for the pre-dents in the MBS program? In other words, do a lot of students get into d-school after successfully completing the program with like a 3.5+? I guess I am asking about the program's reputation in a way. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
The pre-med to pre-dent ratio differs I believe from year to year. This year, for example, there seems to be a lot more pre-dent than pre-med, but not overwhelmingly more. Whereas, I think the year before it was the other way around. So I guess it really depends on who is accepted and decides to go to UMDNJ. As for the success rate for pre-dents, that I have little idea of since I'm a pre-med. I know for pre-med, we are guaranteed an interview at NJMS if we finish at least 20 credits, 3.6+gpa and 28 MCAT, so it may run along the same lines for pre-dent...but I'm not entirely sure. Sorry I can't help you further with that.

another question:

does the program help you prepare for the MCAT? if so, in what way(s)?

and are advisers/mentors available for guiding you through the application process for med school when the time comes?

another question:

and are advisers/mentors available for guiding you through the application process for med school when the time comes?

Well I believe you apply to this program with an MCAT score already, I applied with my DAT Score. This program is meant to boost up your GPA by taking advanced science courses, the MCAT like the DAT is based upon basic undergraduate science courses not advanced Masters courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I believe you apply to this program with an MCAT score already, I applied with my DAT Score. This program is meant to boost up your GPA by taking advanced science courses, the MCAT like the DAT is based upon basic undergraduate science courses not advanced Masters courses.
This program does no such thing to a GPA

Graduate work is a sep component of AMCAS (and the dental equivalent) and so does nothing to your undergrad gpa because they are considered completely separate. The cGPA is all coursework taken at the undergraduate level.

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate them.

How hard would you say the courses are overall/How is the workload, compared to undergrad?

Does everyone have different schedules or are you in the same classes?
How hard would you say the courses are overall/How is the workload, compared to undergrad?

-To graduate with the Master's degree, you have to finish at least 30 credits. Some people want to finish in a year, because they are applying to med/dental schools at the same time, while others prefer to stretch it out to 1.5 years or 2 years with a thesis. So I'd have to say finishing 30 credits in a year is tough, I know people who are doing that and they are taking 4-5 classes a semester, with lab rotation, etc. These classes can be tough, the basic Fundamentals class that is required for most masters students to take is just basic biochemistry, but it's a lot of material to go over and memorize nevertheless. You may qualify to take the Med School equivalent MGM course or an advanced graduate version called GMM instead of Fundamentals with certain criteria. Overall, most classes are not super tough to understand, but the workload that is involved can be a lot, especially if you're taking more than 3 classes, plus adding a lab rotation and other extracurricular activities like volunteering or if you're working etc. But is it doable? definitely! You just have to put in the time, organize your study schedule and put in the effort to study and you can do well in any of these classes.

Does everyone have different schedules or are you in the same classes?

No, everyone picks what classes they want to take other than the main required course (Fundamentals or MGM or GMM). That is the flexibility of this program. It's kinda like undergrad, where you see what different classes are offered each semester and sign up for them. However, you are bound to see many of your fellow classmates in the same classes, especially if you are going towards the same route (pre-med or pre-dent), since they do offer classes specifically for each of those routes, such as oral immuniology for pre-dent and mechanism of the heart or gross anatomy for pre-med.

another question:

Yes, they do have something to help with the mcat. There are actually a good amt of people in my class that are preparing to take the mcat (either for the first or second time) in the upcoming months. UMDNJ did offer their own MCAT prep course starting last November till this April for about $400, where Med Students basically teach the classes. I've heard both good and bad things with this prep course, but for $400, it's a pretty good deal.

They do offer guidance when you want to apply for med school. You are free to make an appt with the advisers at anytime and ask them about your application, etc.

This program actually allows you to apply with a GRE score as well, there are many people who are just about to take their MCAT this April/May. And you do take advanced science courses, but Fundamentals is basically your undergrad biochem class, just a bit more detailed, so there are courses you may have taken in undergrad, that you will see it come up again in this program.

This program does no such thing to a GPA

Graduate work is a sep component of AMCAS (and the dental equivalent) and so does nothing to your undergrad gpa because they are considered completely separate. The cGPA is all coursework taken at the undergraduate level.

Misunderstanding, I didn't mean it would boost up your undergrad GPA, I meant it would give you another chance to obtain a more competitive and complete new GPA .

I've been looking at the on campus housing at 180 West Market since it is convenient and close (i won't be having a car). The other place i hear about is in society hill so I've been checking out apartments there too. But I won't be looking for a place hardcore until I hear back from other programs first.

I might live in the Hoboken area, def not living in 180, place is overpriced. If not in Hoboken prob gonna commute from where I live in Jersey to Newark , Newark is a 40 minute drive for me.

Hoboken is around 20 min away, its right across city and the city is around 8 miles away from Newark, but Hoboken isnt cheap either but it is worth it imo because of the location. Ideally you wanna look for the cheapest place and society hill is prob it cause the rent isnt too bad.

congrats to those who got accepted! haven't heard anything back yet, fingers crossed!!!

Same boat, where else have you applied?

I applied to Barry, Midwestern University (Glendale and Downers Grove, Boston U MAMS Oral Health Track, and also Western. I got into Barry already but probably not going there as I have heard not so great things about their program after their long-time director left. What about you?

Congratualtions! Anyone who is accepted when did you apply?

Do you mind sharing your stats, just trying to figure out if mine are competitive enough for the program.

had a 3.3 for both science and overall, 20 AA, 19 Science on the DAT, tons of rec letters

3.2 oGPA/ 2.95 sGPA
18AA/18TS for the DAT

Roughly how many of your premed's have currently been accepted into medical school?

I have a question. I'm planning to complete my master's degree at NJMS for one year (starting Fall 2012) and my current hopeful plan is to enter medical school in the following year (Fall 2013).

If I were to enter the GSBS program at NJMS starting in Fall 2012 , when do I apply to medical school? Would I have to wait until I am done with the master's program to apply to medical school so the admissions could see my post-bacc GPA or can I apply while I am in the master's program?

I was thinking of applying to NJMS after my first Master's semester, so that the admissions could see my grades from the program rather than my poor grades from undergraduate. I'm not sure how the timing of this works :confused:

Also another question: I know there are only a limited number of master's students who can take the medical school courses at NJMS. Does anybody know the stats of those students? I have a 3.33 GPA/28 MCAT. I wanted to get some insight on that. Thanks!

I have a question. I'm planning to complete my master's degree at NJMS for one year (starting Fall 2012) and my current hopeful plan is to enter medical school in the following year (Fall 2013).

If I were to enter the GSBS program at NJMS starting in Fall 2012 , when do I apply to medical school? Would I have to wait until I am done with the master's program to apply to medical school so the admissions could see my post-bacc GPA or can I apply while I am in the master's program?

I was thinking of applying to NJMS after my first Master's semester, so that the admissions could see my grades from the program rather than my poor grades from undergraduate. I'm not sure how the timing of this works :confused:

Also another question: I know there are only a limited number of master's students who can take the medical school courses at NJMS. Does anybody know the stats of those students? I have a 3.33 GPA/28 MCAT. I wanted to get some insight on that. Thanks!
Same post in 3 threads is a bit overkill and against forum rules - just post it once.

You should not apply to medical school AFTER one semester of GSBS - that will be a ridic late application and is generally a waste of time. Either wait the year or apply before you enter (in which case they prob won't review your app until grades are in but you'll be in the system) but not half of each.

I don't know much about the entrance stats - but those seem on the low end of things, especially for med school.

Im in the same boat as you expect im Dental. Some people told me to apply while you are in the masters program while other said theres no point because you wont have any grades until your first semester is over so it will make sense to wait and apply once you finish the program.

"Also another question: I know there are only a limited number of master's students who can take the medical school courses at NJMS. Does anybody know the stats of those students? I have a 3.33 GPA/28 MCAT. I wanted to get some insight on that. Thanks!"

I agree with the other response about either apply this coming June or apply a year after, because if you wait to apply after your fall semester grades, it will be really late and there is honestly no point in trying or wasting your money at that point.

As for the stats to get into NJMS classes, Fall semester only offers a class called MGM, its basically the 1st year med school course for biochem, etc. I'm not exactly sure what the stats are, but you can contact Dr. Wagner or Dr. Garrett for more details. For Spring semester, there are more available med school classes to take, and to get into those classes, it usually depends on how well you did on your fall semester classes.

Also, by the look of your stats, if you do well in the program and finish at least 20 credits, with your mcat score, you are guaranteed an interview with NJMS, for the following year though (2014), but a higher mcat score would be a plus to stay more competitive with other med schools.

Hey everyone, I'm another program alumnus, starting at a US allopathic med school this fall; this program was perfect for me and I'm happy to answer questions as well.

I have recently been accepted, I am not from the area and was wondering if anyone else is looking for a roomate?

Hey everyone, I'm another program alumnus, starting at a US allopathic med school this fall; this program was perfect for me and I'm happy to answer questions as well.
theWUBear,

When did you apply to med school? Did you apply before entering the program or after the program was over? Also what were your stats before program and after?

Hey, I have a question for alumni or people currently in the program, did anyone work any where on campus like as a research assistant, TA, work aid etc? If so was a difficult to find a balance between school and work and how easy is it to find work on campus, if I need to bring in some type of income while I'm there?

Hey, I have a question for alumni or people currently in the program, did anyone work any where on campus like as a research assistant, TA, work aid etc? If so was a difficult to find a balance between school and work and how easy is it to find work on campus, if I need to bring in some type of income while I'm there?
I do know that umdnj has a work study program, but I'm not sure specifically where you will be working. I do know people in my class that are either working part time or full time while studying. Although some are taking less credits per semester. It really depends on how well you think your study methods are. If you know that you need to really focus on your studies, then working at the same time might be tough, but if you've done it before and have done with with juggling both work and school, then you should be fine. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Hi:
I am a future (this coming August) post-bacc student. My top choices that I was accepted to are UMDNJ's GSBS, Drexel's MSP, and USF's Master's in Medical Sciences. I'm somewhat torn between these three, and I've seen conflicting things about USF (just because it's a fairly new post-bacc) and especially Drexel (many reasons). Did you look into these other programs? What medical schools were you accepted to?

Quick question, is it too late to apply to this program today?
Thanks

Hi:
I am a future (this coming August) post-bacc student. My top choices that I was accepted to are UMDNJ's GSBS, Drexel's MSP, and USF's Master's in Medical Sciences. I'm somewhat torn between these three, and I've seen conflicting things about USF (just because it's a fairly new post-bacc) and especially Drexel (many reasons). Did you look into these other programs? What medical schools were you accepted to?
Not sure if this will be of use to you, but I was once considering the USF program and the instructor on my MCAT course is graduate of the USF program, and he said they do not help with advising outside of academic coursework. They do not help with any part of amcas application or give great medical school advice. Pretty much just pay to take classes and obtain masters degree, but as far as a linkage program or matriculating into medical school your still pretty much on your own :/

I have recently been accepted, I am not from the area and was wondering if anyone else is looking for a roomate?

when did you submit your application?

Trying to determine the turnaround time. I had submitted mine earlier in the year (in feb) but my application remained in incomplete status because i was missing 1LOR..finally was able to complete my application earlier this week...

Well, I applied in december was complete in the middle of jan and was accepted the middle of march.

Hey Guys! I'm also waiting for a decision. Has anyone applied with a GRE for pre-dent?? Good luck everyone!:)

I think they accept close to everyone who applies and GRE/MCAT/DAT doesn't really matter, so your chances are good. If you want a chance to take dental physiology as a first year student, you will have to take the DAT because selection is largely based on that. Saying that, very few first year students are given the opportunity to take dental physiology (I finished the program a year ago and I believe there were only 3 first years) and even fewer get an A in the course ( 2 out of 10ish). If you wan't to take dental biochemistry, you'll most likely get invited if you maintain 3.9ish-4.0ish through the first semester. There were also only 2 people who got a 4.0 in biochemistry while I was in the program.

The program doesn't have the same kind of non-academic applicant enhancement opportunities that other programs may have, but it did its job and so far everyone I know from the program has gotten into at least one dental school. Would they have gotten in if they went to a different SMP program instead? Yes, definately. It seems that for the most part, the grade you receive in an SMP means a lot more than the quality of the program. In my particular case, I was a reapplicant and i think getting As in the dental school courses were the biggest reasons I got acceptances this year (even though I still didn't get an interview at UMDNJ).

Last edited:
I was accepted a few weeks ago. Do we need to have applied with the MCAT to take the medical school class in the fall? I applied with my GRE score since I am taking the MCAT next month.

I was accepted a few weeks ago. Do we need to have applied with the MCAT to take the medical school class in the fall? I applied with my GRE score since I am taking the MCAT next month.
You will most likely need your mcat score to be accepted into the fall medical school class, what you can do is send them your mcat score after you have taken them next month.

I think they accept close to everyone who applies and GRE/MCAT/DAT doesn't really matter, so your chances are good. If you want a chance to take dental physiology as a first year student, you will have to take the DAT because selection is largely based on that. Saying that, very few first year students are given the opportunity to take dental physiology (I finished the program a year ago and I believe there were only 3 first years) and even fewer get an A in the course ( 2 out of 10ish). If you wan't to take dental biochemistry, you'll most likely get invited if you maintain 3.9ish-4.0ish through the first semester. There were also only 2 people who got a 4.0 in biochemistry while I was in the program.

The program doesn't have the same kind of non-academic applicant enhancement opportunities that other programs may have, but it did its job and so far everyone I know from the program has gotten into at least one dental school. Would they have gotten in if they went to a different SMP program instead? Yes, definately. It seems that for the most part, the grade you receive in an SMP means a lot more than the quality of the program. In my particular case, I was a reapplicant and i think getting As in the dental school courses were the biggest reasons I got acceptances this year (even though I still didn't get an interview at UMDNJ).
Thanks! Wait so you did the UMDNJ Master's and didn't even get an interview to UMDNJ Dental?!?