UMDNJ CLass of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if anyone is looking to sublet a REALLY nice condo, PM me, a classmate of mine has one he wants to rent as he will be doing military residency but doesn't want to sell his place yet.

J

Members don't see this ad.

thanks, Jay. also, i wanted to ask for those students out there who are buying laptops for school next year (or who are already in school)...how useful are the tablet pc's at umdnj. like, are there a lot of people using them? are most of the lecture materials in electronic format??

oh, and is anyone looking for a male roommate :oops:

I know of at least 2 people that are using the tablet PC and they are quite happy with it. Since usually all of our lectures are posted before the class, they have it with them and they write their notes and study right off of there.

All of the lectures are either in PDF format or Powerpoint. They are usually up before the class. How you use them is a very personal thing. Some people print them out and others just write their notes on the computers.

Dr.X said:
Hi,

I read somewhere in the forum that you live near umdnj-som. I just got into a master's program at the stratford campus and would like to know more about that area. Would you consider that area a safe place to live in? Are there decent/not too expensive apartments near the school for lease? I'm looking for an apartment within 5 miles from the school.

Thanks,
Dr. X

Hi Dr.X,

I live in voorhees, which is less than 5 minutes from the stratford campus. Trust me when I say, this is surburbia. Its safe. But voorhees has some of the more expensive housing...i think one bedrooms will run you about 850 plus utilities. Some complexes are the villiage, labonne vie, and three pond. some of the cheaper areas are in clementon, stratford and lindenwold but i dont know the specific complexes (though there are many). Will you have a car? If so, also consider collingswood. I would try craigslist, the south jersey section.

Around the school there are lots of shopping places, strip malls, etc. There are restaurants and supermarkets in eagle plaza (about 10 minutes down white horse road). The echelon mall is a pretty modest mall, but its there and there is a target close by as well.

-Bella

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a two bedroom apartment. I live 5 minutes from school. The Pines at Arborwood. Looking to share. Rent is 415 + utilities. Call me at 5084103346 if interested. (Female - 26 from MA). Nice spacious two bedroom, with balcony and enough closet space.

:)Hi guys!
I'm about to be a second yr student at SOM. I have a room that I am renting out so if anyone is interested PM me! Its about 6 blocks from school, really great house with 4 bedrooms and a finished basement. 2 medical students live there currently.
375 + utilities

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone was looking for a roommate or if anyone had a room to rent out..i'm trying to get everything together before pre-matric starts and just trying to get a good place without the ridiculous single-bedroom rents. If anyone is interested or has any information, PM me...Thanks and I hope to see all of you soon...

for everyone doing the prematric program, i was wondering if you were going to buy all of the required books ahead of time or wait to see if you need them once it starts...let me know what you are all doing. thanks!!!

for everyone doing the prematric program, i was wondering if you were going to buy all of the required books ahead of time or wait to see if you need them once it starts...let me know what you are all doing. thanks!!!

Hey

I'm actually not doing the pre-matric anymore (optionally enrolled at first, but realized I wanted to travel instead), but I had originally asked UMNDNJ about this in April. David Ireland (guy in charge of the program) told me NOT to get ANY books yet and to wait until 6/23. So don't spend any $$ yet.

I'm confused about the prematric program. Are there other reasons they would make a student take it other than being non-traditional? I ask because I am a trad. student and my letter said I am required to attend. I was hoping I would have more than 3 weeks off between graduation and med school to find an apartment, furnish it, and hopefully get away for a weekend :/ :scared:

Hey

I'm actually not doing the pre-matric anymore (optionally enrolled at first, but realized I wanted to travel instead), but I had originally asked UMNDNJ about this in April. David Ireland (guy in charge of the program) told me NOT to get ANY books yet and to wait until 6/23. So don't spend any $$ yet.

thanks so much for the advice!!! i really appreciate it! have fun traveling :)

I'm confused about the prematric program. Are there other reasons they would make a student take it other than being non-traditional? I ask because I am a trad. student and my letter said I am required to attend. I was hoping I would have more than 3 weeks off between graduation and med school to find an apartment, furnish it, and hopefully get away for a weekend :/ :scared:

From what I was told, those required to attend the pre-matric program are at least one of the following:
- those that took significant time off between college and med school
- those that had a non-science major in undergrad
- those that are minority/disadvantaged students
- those with gpa/mcat on the lower end of the matriculated class

If you fall into any of these categories, you are required to attend.

On the positive, however, I heard they're using the same lecture notes that will be redistributed to the class in august. I initially joined the program because it would give me a chance to bond with fellow classmates earlier and get to know some of the faculty (since they have preceptorship assignments for the pre-matric student). You can also have time to become familiar with the area as well. Plus, it is a great time for you to see what study methods work for you and test it out.

(I just decided not to go for it in the end because I've been working for a year now and could really use a break.. I can't believe i'm saying this, but I'd rather be back in school than continue with this work life!)

see you guys in august.

Hey, Not accepted but crossing my fingers. Does anyone know when the waitlist begins to move?

hey everyone,
i have a really nice 4 bedroom condo in cherry hill, about 10 minutes from campus. I will be a first year, and we also have another first year and a second year student living there next year, but we have one room left to rent out. If anyone is looking for housing next year and is interested, please email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am giving away the following:

1) Queen Sized Futon bed frame with mattress. It does not turn into a couch
2) 2 nice area rugs in excellent condition.

If you are interested, PM me. You need to pick them up.

I'm going to be coming to UMDNJ, and am looking into housing options - anyone out there looking for a roomate or with a room to rent? I'd prefer within walking distance but no other real constraints (sex, age, # of roommates). PM me if you've got anything.

Since prematric people will probably be moving in to their apartments soon, could anyone who has any input comment on the different apartments around the area? (Distance, what's included, safety, amount of students, discounts, etc)

I'm coming up to look at some places on Wed, and I want to get an idea of what people think. Here are some of the places that I"m considering looking at: Chalet Gardens, Stonington, Echelon, Landings, Lakeview, .and maybe Bishop/stratford court, Kingsrow and Chews landing. I would prefer to live in an affordable 1bedroom with a W/D in unit, but based on rental rates, I may have to get a 2 bedroom. Anything would help! Thanks

Hey guys my name is Bruce Matchin OMSIV. I am graduating in 5 days and plan to move down to maryland for my internship. I have a beautiful two bedroom two bath. I will leave it half furnished with all my first, second, and clinical year books. I have a lake in the backyard and plenty of space to have bbq's. The only thing that's missing are 2 eager med students that want to live in luxury. The place is in voorhees and is located literally 4 minutes and 15 seconds from the school (if you only hit one light). I am very reasonable with pricing just wanted to see what you guys thought. Contact me at [email protected] and I'll send you pictures. I leave for maryland in june but I am willing to drive back to show you the place on the weekends. If you guys have any questions, regarding housing or anything related to med school I would be happy to answer. Talk to you soon.

How is everyone going about looking for a roommate?....what is the best...most efficient method? (the list of ppl that came in the admissions packet was very limited)

If anyone (female) is still looking for housing and a roommate, please PM me. I have not decided on housing yet, but hope to secure it by end of this coming week (preferably walking distance to SOM). If you are interested, we can decide on a place together.

But, if you have already decided on a housing place, and are just looking to find a roommate, I may be interested in that also. :)Thanks!

hey i am also looking for a roommate...i am a female who is going the pre-matric...i messaged you about it.

did anyone order their lab coat for the white coat ceremony yet? Do we just email Ms. Burton about it? I forgot to do it when she first sent out the email.

Ordering the lab coat?..I never received such an e-mail in the first place...When did you receive it?...I hope I am not missing out on any info. from the school:rolleyes:...

What computer is everyone getting? I didn't see a mandatory one for us like some schools-- or did I not look in the right place? Any current student want to chime in?

What computer is everyone getting? I didn't see a mandatory one for us like some schools-- or did I not look in the right place? Any current student want to chime in?

There wasn't a mandatory one, but they did send us some minimum requirements. I have one I bought back in 2004 that doesn't quite meet the specs, but should hold up just fine. I'm not a mac guy (price outweighs the benefits) and I would rather have something a bit bigger that was more powerful, so I would probably get something like this:​

It's a bit of a matter of personal preference - if you want something that ways as little as an iPod, look into a Sony Vaio, but be prepared to pay a bit more for it. From my experience I'd stay away from Dell. I've had nothing but problems with them, and my sister was a Dell rep and her college and said it was a huge headache.

Hi Guys! I am a new member of SOM's 2012 class. Just wanted to see hi to everyone. See you all in August!!!!:)

Hi guys
I haven't been on here for awhile, but I'm sick of studying and decided to procrastinate a bit. I saw some questions a few posts up about white coats and computers. I don't know if you guys ever got a response from current students or not so I thought I'd fill you in...

White coat: you will try on and get a white coat the day of the white coat ceremony. No need to worry about ordering or giving a size just yet (unless they changed the procedure, but I don't think they did).

Computers: technically they are manditory. Realistically, you don't need to bring them to classes or anything. Some people use them during class, but most don't. Most people's "school use" of computers is to listen to the lectures you missed (or relisten to the ones you fell asleep during). Just get something that will hold a lot of files, play video files, and something you feel comfortable with.

Congrats! and welcome to SOM!

my friend told me that he basically checks out laptop from library each day for study

Has anyone here converted from OOS to IS yet this year? I turned in my papers but have not heard yet. Double posting here and the in the pre-do thread since this thread doesn't see as much movement(sorry to everyone for the double reading).

Has anyone here converted from OOS to IS yet this year? I turned in my papers but have not heard yet. Double posting here and the in the pre-do thread since this thread doesn't see as much movement(sorry to everyone for the double reading).

Call the financial aid office. Get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Anyone accepted off the waitlist recently???

i am nervous and but excited at the sametime.:scared:

who else is doing the prematric program? if anything, it will get me back in the study mode and hang loose with classmates.

who's the top gunner that already bought the boards book? :laugh:

who's the top gunner that already bought the boards book? :laugh:

Bought it? Don't you mean stole it from a classmate? I have not, but a friend did leave one lying around and I found myself looking at it for an hour out of curiosity. Not doing prematric, but instead being a bum, catching up with TV, sunshine, non-school reading, exercise and margaritas all summer long. Psyched as can be though.

Hey everyone!
Congrats on your admissions!!
Please PM me if you are looking to live close to campus in a nice townhouse. It's a great place to live and the rent is really fair. You would be living with friendly girls and have plenty of privacy along with the luxury of living in a home rather than an apartment ;o)

Hey everyone I just snuck in off the waitlist so I'm getting a late start on the housing situation. If anyone knows of anything still available, or can tell me a good place to look just shoot me a PM, I would appreciate it. I'm 23 yrs old, male from northern NJ.

Hello,
Has anyone gotten the option to take the pre-matric program online? I have not heard back from David Ireland about whether someone could take both - the online course and attend lectures at the same time. Let me know if anyone knows the answer to this query.

Thank you!!

Hello,
Has anyone gotten the option to take the pre-matric program online? I have not heard back from David Ireland about whether someone could take both - the online course and attend lectures at the same time. Let me know if anyone knows the answer to this query.

Thank you!!

i got an official letter with the class schedule and time. I dont think there is an option for online. There is no way they can track you, if you are at home...

This question is geared towards people who are already at UMDNJ--but does the school have a gym? If so, is it any good? What do they offer? Are there any classes?

This question is geared towards people who are already at UMDNJ--but does the school have a gym? If so, is it any good? What do they offer? Are there any classes?

got info from friends:
it is small but does offer various courses. also there is locker rm and showers. good thing is that it costs around $120/ys membership

for everyone doing the prematric program, i was wondering if you were going to buy all of the required books ahead of time or wait to see if you need them once it starts...let me know what you are all doing. thanks!!

There should be a booksale at our small bookstore in the pharmacy during your orientation week.
Student Council (STUCO) will also have a used booksale on Aug 14-15 I believe.

Last edited:
If anybody is signing a lease for Timber Ridge in Lindenwold feel free to PM me. If you put me down as your referral before you sign they give me a check which I’ll split with you 50 50. (Hey, as broke med students every little bit helps :) ).

Timber Ridge is about a five minute drive to school (1.5 miles). The units are all 2 story townhouses with a full size washer and dryer and dishwasher and lots of storage space. The neighborhood is safe and there are lots of families living here.

Also feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the complex or UMDNJ in general.

Thanks, and good luck!

I know some of the upper class students have said that while laptops are technically mandatory, in practice they really aren't and you "don't need to bring them to classes or anything". However, looking at the orientation schedule, and the school website, I'm concerned that maybe they really do expect you to have them?

The orientation schedule says:

2008 FIRST YEAR ORIENTATION
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
ALL ACTIVITIES ARE MANDATORY FOR FIRST YEAR STUDENTS

2:30 PM Break
Get laptops and report to the Histology labs.

2:45 PM Histology Wireless Configuration- Bring Laptops
(AC- Rooms 341, 342, 346, 347)

Are we expected to have laptops for histology? I know NJMS switched over to a more digital / computer based histology class at some point*, is (has?) SOM doing the same? I'd like to avoid the added cost of having to purchase a laptop if possible. I really just hope I'm reading too much into this.

"NEWARK - Microscopes are so 20th century, at least for first-year medical students at New Jersey Medical School .

The microscopes normally used in histology - the study of the structure of tissue using minute samples on slides, a class generally taken in the second semester of a medical student's first year - have been replaced for the Class of 2010 by the students' own laptop computers.

In recent weeks, students' laptops were networked into a national database of 3,000 sample slides from two local Web servers and five remote Web servers - replacing the traditional microscope and box of 100 slides given to each medical student for histology.

The technique is known as "virtual microscopy," or VM.
"

Hey,

Im going to be a 2nd year and in terms of Histologyo and computers, last year we were using microscopes and slides in lab. That being said, most people did not go to lab and used computer programs such as Histotime and Digital Histology at home to study the slides. So even if Prof Fischer is requiring laptops from lab, if lab is not mandatory, it may not matter for you.

I had a laptop, but rarely brought it to school, it was easier jsut to borrow a computer from the library. Hope this helps.