UMDNJ CLass of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
guyssssssss
wake up, we have to be more active, :scared:

anybody sent their info for the room-mate matching list yet

i think im the only one who did:laugh:

who is doing the pre-matric program?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys...I was accepted in October..21/Male/Parsippany, NJ...but I just received a call today saying that landlords and the accepted students meeting will be March 14. I look forward to meeting all of you...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I was accepted in November. From Worcester, MA. Have been reading the threads and wanted to ask how u guys found out about the accepted students' day?

I actually received a call today from a 1st year student who asked if I had any questions and then told me that it was going to be on March 14 and that landlords would be present...

Hi. I was accepted in November. From Worcester, MA. Have been reading the threads and wanted to ask how u guys found out about the accepted students' day?

I actually received a call today from a 1st year student who asked if I had any questions and then told me that it was going to be on March 14 and that landlords would be present...

This is the same way I found out. If you didn't get a call from a first year yesterday, then you'll probably be getting one soon.

Hi everyone!

Congrats to you all! I'm very excited to meet everyone and to attend UMDNJ SOM! I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the housing nearby? I live in north Jersey (about 1 1/2 hours away) and want to get a 1BR apartment near campus. I'm especially concerned with safety, so does anyone know which nearby towns are the safest? Thanks!

Housing situation in south jersey is very good. you can practically find good apts/houses/condos within 5/10/15mins of the campus.

The nicer areas around here are: voorhees, cherry hill, haddonfield, and collingswood.

However, the stratford area itself is very safe with plenty of housing options. I was in the grad program and walked to school everyday including late nights and no problems. No car break-ins. It is pretty much a quite family residential area.

Overall, you will be very safe in south jersey as long as you dont live in Camden.

Thanks for the info, Porco! Are you currently a first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all
i will be coming to the school March 14th
so i will see you all then

are we supposed to be trying to find room mates now or wait unti march 14th?

i am 21/male/from long island ny
im looking to share a double bed room apt with one person

:D

Hey everyone...I was accepted back in late September...22/Male/Turnersville although I live in Philadelphia.
Looking forward to seeing everyone in March!

hey everyone.. i just got accepted last week!

I was absolutely shocked to hear I got in, but im very very excited..im already here at UMDNJ since I am in the GSBS program so I guess I am one step ahead in that sense, but I cant wait to meet everyone on March 14th!

Hey guys...I know this sounds like a dumb question...but can we just wear jeans and casual wear to this accepted students day or do we have to be dressed nicely?

Hey guys...I know this sounds like a dumb question...but can we just wear jeans and casual wear to this accepted students day or do we have to be dressed nicely?

hey to answer your question - just in case you didn't get it.. i just got an email from April in the admissions office informing us the attire for accepted students day is business casual, cya there!

i would love to come but have to work. Have fun !!

This Thread is getting quiet :sleep:

Is there anyone else who found out recently that they are comming to join us at the GREATEST med school ever :clap::welcome:

Have people decided where they are going to live? I was looking at Echelon Glen/The Village. They seem close and decent places to live. Has anyone heard otherwise? It's getting close to school time!!!:cool: (esp for us prematric people;))

Have people decided where they are going to live? I was looking at Echelon Glen/The Village. They seem close and decent places to live. Has anyone heard otherwise? It's getting close to school time!!!:cool: (esp for us prematric people;))

i liked the Village...but I don't like how there is no Gas utilities at all, but it's ALL Electric.. That is going to be a pain when it comes to bills

I'd prefer to live at a place that has both gas and electric... and the owner pays for gas bills..

hey guys, i just got the call at 3/28. anybody know of the standard places to look for for housing around there? i need to get movin on finding a place to live.

Hi everyone,

It was great meeting some of you at new studen'ts day! I'm required to take the prematriculation program and need to start looking for places ASAP!!
p.s will anyone else be taking the program with me, or will I be alone? :(

I have a couple of questions about housing.

I would love to rent out a semi-furnished room. I have checked craigslist, but was wondering if anyone had any other sites to reference.

Plan B is to rent a studio at the village, but I'll have to furnish....
Lastly, does anyone currently live at the Lakeview apartments - if so do you have any input.

Thank you! I look forward to meeting everyone - thanks for posting the class schedule....it's all very real now.

I have a few things I am looking to sell cheap:

1) Queen Sized Futon Bed. Does not turn into a couch. $100 or B/O and it includes the mattress.

2) Area Rug. I have 2 of the them. $25 each.

3) Dehumidifier: $15

PM me if you are interested.

On another note, the current students are preparing a list of complexes that they live in and will have all the information about that complex. I am not sure when it will be ready.

Hey guys!

I live within walking distance to UMDNJ-SOM, and I've been in this area my whole life. If anyone has any questions about the area, let me know. Feel free to send me a private message. Congrats too, its a really good school! :D

i liked the Village...but I don't like how there is no Gas utilities at all, but it's ALL Electric.. That is going to be a pain when it comes to bills

I'd prefer to live at a place that has both gas and electric... and the owner pays for gas bills..

Some of my friends at the village ended up with very high heating bills in the winter ($200) but some don't so I guess it depends on the unit? I live at Echelon Glen which is nice exc they really will gouge people for their deposit when they leave is what I hear. We're putting together an apt guide for you all that will go out periodically as it is updated w/ students volunteering to answer your Qs on their complexes and even give you tours if you wish so watch for it soon from the Admissions Office. The guide also gives approx rents + utilities.

Also I believe some ppl will be subletting to pre-matrickies. There's one person in the guide so far who is subletting his half of the apt at Timber Ridge. I also believe that someone in GSBS maybe has been putting together a sublet guide for all of you coming to pre-matric

Hi everyone,

p.s will anyone else be taking the program with me, or will I be alone? :(

Hey I will do the pre-matric program as well (I'm not required, but I've been working for a year now... So I thought it could be useful and fun). I think there are lots of others in the same boat also.

See you in June!

I'm going to be in prematric as well. I can't believe how close it is till we begin! Ahhhhh! Kind of scary and exciting at the same time. And the fact that our class schedule is up makes it even more real.
I'm planning to look for housing at the end of this month or beginning of May.Did anyone visit Landings at Pine Lake or knows anything about the complex? I didn't get to visit there but I love their floor plans especially for the tri-level two bedroom-perfect for roommates.

I'm also required to the prematric program. I'm excited to start! I really would like to live somewhere within walking distance of the school (esp. with these crazy gas prices...). 200 bucks in utilities at the village seems very high! any other suggestions on decent places to live within walking distance of school (i would like to live alone, shooting for rent under 800 bones/mo, and have a cat) any advice would be appreciated!!!!

also, any word on the 08 match list? i'm so curious! ;)

it should be available soon. we had some really good matches this year!

Hey guys, I got the call on friday 3/28.

I'm beyond excited.

Anyone looking for a room mate?

I'm also required to the prematric program. I'm excited to start! I really would like to live somewhere within walking distance of the school (esp. with these crazy gas prices...). 200 bucks in utilities at the village seems very high! any other suggestions on decent places to live within walking distance of school (i would like to live alone, shooting for rent under 800 bones/mo, and have a cat) any advice would be appreciated!!!!

Check along the North side of Atlantic Ave West of Laurel Rd; there are some smaller, older, very cheap by local standards rentals in there that are only a few minutes of easy/safe walk from the campus.

I have some misc. furnature in storage; cheap office style desk and office style chairs, some shelving, some other odds and ends. Free to good home.
PM me privately for details.

hey, i'm starting here in the fall...and do most people live with roommates? or do most people mean 'apartment mates', not necessarily roommates. i haven't had a roommate that since sophomore year of college, and not that having a roommate is a terrible thing, but it'd take some readjusting? thanks.

Housing situation in south jersey is very good. you can practically find good apts/houses/condos within 5/10/15mins of the campus.

The nicer areas around here are: voorhees, cherry hill, haddonfield, and collingswood.

However, the stratford area itself is very safe with plenty of housing options. I was in the grad program and walked to school everyday including late nights and no problems. No car break-ins. It is pretty much a quite family residential area.

Overall, you will be very safe in south jersey as long as you dont live in Camden.

past note...

That housing guide that came with the admission packet had many good housing options. I highly suggest that on top of craigslist.

hey, i'm starting here in the fall...and do most people live with roommates? or do most people mean 'apartment mates', not necessarily roommates. i haven't had a roommate that since sophomore year of college, and not that having a roommate is a terrible thing, but it'd take some readjusting? thanks.

Hey Im a first year who chose to live by myself because i hadnt had a roommate since sophmore year of college. Im not too big a fan of it right now because unlike college im not surrounded by people to hang out with. If anything if you want to have your own apartment live at echelon glenn, stratford court or the village where you'll be surrounded by students. Of those three stratford court is the cheapest and the village most expensive. If you have a roommate, I recommend echelon glen. The village is nice, but all electric and the rent is a little high to begin with. Hope this helps.

anyone know if umdnj offers any educational discounts on laptops? i'm looking to get a tablet pc, possibly and wanted to know if they could hook it up.

Great! I look forward to seeing this list - I'll either need to sublet in July for the prematric program or commute. It's nice knowing that others will be spending their summers in a classroom like me!

Also, I'm seriously considering having a roommate now after seeing a few places. I love the echelon glen, but the price of a one bedroom is a little steep. :(
If anyone's interested, you can send me a personal message - I am female and would prefer a female roommate.

2 answers here

1. i believe the school has a deal with Dell for pcs

2. i live in echelon glenn, if you decide to move here SCOUR your apartment for problems, particularly the carpets and make them put in writing that you are not responsible for any spots that show up on the carpet. multiple friends of mine have been screwed out of their deposits because spots just appear on the carpeting (in my old apartment they appeared in places that absolutely could not have been caused by me). in my new apartment there are spots that are appearing and there is no way to explain them, luckily I have a document that i'm not responsible for them.

if you guys don't mind a bit of a drive "the club" in Deptford has gorgeous places, a bit pricier but some students live there as well as some interns and residents.

(not sure if this is the best place for this, but would certainly be of interest to some UMDNJ-SOM students)

If any incoming (or even current) students are interested, The Joseph E Enright Foundation offers at least 5 scholarships, twice a year, for $1000. I was awarded a scholarship from them before, back when it was only $500, and am not permitted to apply again.

The only requirements are that the money be applied to tuition for students in the health care field, and that students "reside in communities served by The Enright Foundation." I'm not real sure which communities would qualify, but they are based in Summit, NJ. So, if you or your family live reasonably close, give it shot.

Their website is located here:
http://www.josephenrightfoundation.org/artman/publish/index.shtml

The scholarship information and 2008 application can be found here:
http://www.josephenrightfoundation.org/artman/publish/cat_index_30.shtml

The application itself is pretty simple. Should only take a few minutes to fill out. Awards appear to be based mostly on extra circular activities, volunteer work, and an essay.

I hope this helps some people, good luck :)

thanks, Jay. also, i wanted to ask for those students out there who are buying laptops for school next year (or who are already in school)...how useful are the tablet pc's at umdnj. like, are there a lot of people using them? are most of the lecture materials in electronic format??

oh, and is anyone looking for a male roommate :oops:

What is happening with in-state tuition for OOS this year?