UMDNJ CLass of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComplexGal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all.. i thought i should start this thread.. dont think it exists yet... has anyone received their packet/paperwork in the mail yet?

Members don't see this ad.

i haven't been home yet, but my mom said that i got something in the mail yesterday from them. she mentioned something about a 5 week program that starts the end of june though...so i'm gonna have to check that out! did u get anything back yet?

i haven't been home yet, but my mom said that i got something in the mail yesterday from them. she mentioned something about a 5 week program that starts the end of june though...so i'm gonna have to check that out! did u get anything back yet?

The 5 week program is a pre-matriculation program. You will be given a shortened version of your first year in 5 weeks. You will have classes including Biochemistry, Histology, Physiology, and OMM.

You will have exams but they count for absolutely nothing than just giving you the feel of what it may be like in medical school in addition to getting people who have been out of school for a little while a chance to get back into the groove before school starts. Keep in mind though that the Pre-Matriculation program ends about 1 week before Orientation so you can kiss your summer goodbye.

If you guys have any questions, let me know. I will answer them as best as I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
heyy.. yea i got my packt last week on saturday with all the forms that i have to send back to them.. but i didnt get anything about a 5 wk program... is this something thats available to everyone or only selected students?

heyy.. yea i got my packt last week on saturday with all the forms that i have to send back to them.. but i didnt get anything about a 5 wk program... is this something thats available to everyone or only selected students?

Everyone. You get this info a lot later. I think after Admitted Students Day in April.

i already got a lot of information about the 5 week program, but it does say its geared toward non-traditional students and those that weren't science majors (which is me), so maybe they send it to everyone else later...?

yea that would make sense cuz i was a bio major... also tcnj, r u goin to be commuting or would u have to move to sth jersey? maybe we could like room together or something... im starting to look at places and costs now before its too late... lemme know.

hey...i am going to have to move to south jersey, but my bf and i are actually moving in together (we've been dating for like 6 years). sorry i won't be able to be your roommate but we def. should exchange info and what not because i'm def. gonna need someone to talk to about the 50 billion questions i'm gonna have...lol..

hey guys, im thinking about applying to umdnj for osteopathic medicine and i was wondering if i can pay in-state tuition if i live in new jersey (as in I rent a place in new jersey). do i have to change my driver's license and stuff as well in order to pay for in-state tuition? or will it not matter? please, someone let me know what qualifies as an 'in-stater'.

also, hows umdnj in terms of board pass rates and % of students going into specialties (both do/md residency)?

is it possible for me to go in a residency in texas after my 4 yrs of medical school? there are some people that i know that live there and i would like to have my residency there.

thanks for the answers.. :)

NJ license needed for instate tuition plus proof of housing.

everything else you don't have to worry about.

hi everybody! got my acceptance last friday. i'm pretty excited! yay c/o 2012!!! (just thought I'd say hi)

did you guys get a phone call or mail acceptance? i interviewed about a wk ago and i am want to know now:D!! i really liked it there.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey you guys! I got my acceptance back in October so I am a part of the 2012 crew too!! :)

As for how they informed me of my acceptance, I got a phone call from Paula. But, I'm not sure if they call each and every person. So there is a chance that some people just get the letter in the mail. They meet every third friday of the month and then start letting people as early as that day. Good luck!!

to all those that got in and plan to go to UMDNJ,

Age/sex/where are you guys from?

I'll start.

23 (24 in one month)/male/Clifton, NJ

21/female/Hazlet, NJ and sooo excited/nervous for next year! :)

25/male/Union, NJ
Mailed in my deposit and paperwork yesterday, though I was notified of acceptance almost a month ago. I had to get a new letter sent since the original was lost somehow in transit.

Garfpa, as FutureDrO said, they meet only once on month (third Friday of the month) so looks like they haven't met to discuss your file yet. They may notify you that day, but it may take longer.

Yeah I am excited to start next year too!

I think it'll be fun to finally meet in person with all of you after months of SDN haha.

Thank you all for the responses....tomorrow is the big day. I hope i get good news!:D

Does anyone know how far UMDNJ is from PCOM? My husband just got a call from UMDNJ that they are very interested in him as an applicant but they need his secondary and LORs first. I don't imagine I have a great chance there but if he submits his secondary I will too. He can't apply to PCOM because he can't fulfill one of the LOR requirements but I can. I'm trying to get an idea of the distance between the two schools should the very slim chance of this situation arise.

Does anyone know how far UMDNJ is from PCOM? My husband just got a call from UMDNJ that they are very interested in him as an applicant but they need his secondary and LORs first. I don't imagine I have a great chance there but if he submits his secondary I will too. He can't apply to PCOM because he can't fulfill one of the LOR requirements but I can. I'm trying to get an idea of the distance between the two schools should the very slim chance of this situation arise.

Google maps says 21 miles, or 33 minutes. Have to factor in traffic of course. I don't know if there is a train station near PCOM, but that may be an option as well. Fill out the secondary, what have you got to lose?

Google maps says 21 miles, or 33 minutes. Have to factor in traffic of course. I don't know if there is a train station near PCOM, but that may be an option as well. Fill out the secondary, what have you got to lose?

Thanks! I think I will go ahead and fill it out this weekend and send it in Monday. I'm trying to get my husband to harrass his school one more time to see if the guy he thinks was his advisor will write him a letter. I still have to ask my Dean for one. You're right it doesn't hurt to try. :)

there are students at UMDNJ-SOM who live in Philly so you guys should be able to make it work even if you're at different schools, check out the PATCO and SEPTA stations for trains in the area.

Is it true that I'll have a better shot at placing into a specialty residency such as dermatology if I went to PCOM over UMDNJ?

Is it true that I'll have a better shot at placing into a specialty residency such as dermatology if I went to PCOM over UMDNJ?

No. It is all dependent on your COMLEX/USMLE scores and how well you interview. The secret to getting into the residency that you want is to network. If you start going to conferences and meeting the residency directors there and getting into a good conversation with them try to get information from them and so on and so on.

24/male/Howell, NJ
Hey guys, I just was recently accepted and plan on attending, congrats to everyone!

To all that were accepted to UMDNJ-SOM...Congratulations!!!

Just a quick question...how were you notified? Phone call? Email? Letter? How long did they take to send your official letter?

To all that were accepted to UMDNJ-SOM...Congratulations!!!

Just a quick question...how were you notified? Phone call? Email? Letter? How long did they take to send your official letter?

I was notified by phone, but my actual acceptance letter took a few weeks to arrive because it got lost in transit somewhere, and I had to ask for a replacement.

I was notified by phone, but still waiting for the official mailed documents

22/f/Cheverly, MD

I'm not sure if I will be attending SOM for sure yet since I don't know if i'll have to decide between SOM and two other schools that I will be hearing from in the next few weeks. However, I do like UMDNJ alot!!

Can any current students give us any advice as to what we should work on getting, the best housing locations in the areas, and your experiences? OH! And does anyone know what the status or any information regarding the new curriculum that is supposed to start next year?

Hey...I'm still waiting to hear for an acceptance from UMDNJ-SOM...could those of you that were accepted post your stats, ECs, etc? It would really help put into perspective how the accepted student profile looks this year...thanks!

...could those of you that were accepted post your stats, ECs, etc? It would really help put into perspective how the accepted student profile looks this year...thanks!

The best estimate of what the accepted class profile will be for for this year is whatever it was last year. I don't know what those numbers are, but they are not likely to deviate much in only one year's time. Those numbers may be posted on their site someplace, or maybe floating around on the boards here (I seem to recall a chart of average MCAT scores for each school, but not sure how up to date it was). AACOMAS has average GPA and MCAT scores listed, but not school specific.

SDN is not a representative sample of either those students applying/accepted to UMDNJ-SOM or medical school in general. I could post my stats, but they would not offer any sort of insight or perspective on the issue.

The only "helpful" perspective I could put this in is that they liked you enough to interview you, it appears that most people who interview get accepted, and hopefully if the interview went well they will accept you. It takes time, they only meet once a month.

my turn:

i'm 27 (which i think qualifies me as the oldest new student to date?...actually, I'll be 28 when we start...eep!)/male/currently living in nyc, but i'm "from" rochester, ny and i did a 2 year stint in northern california after graduation.

looking forward to meeting everyone!!! :thumbup:

BUMP....Come on you guys. We need more action in this thread! How is everyone spending their last few months before school? Has anyone started thinking of housing or anything else. I know I have been.

SKI...mountain bike, travel, and trying to pay off some credit card debt from applications. Any outdoor enthusists out there?:D

I'm not much of an outdoor enthusiast, sorry!! But my plans for the rest of the year is to do just what you're doing....making money to pay some bills! I wish I had money to travel though....

Yeah I don't have any money either, but somehow I am going to find a way to travel

Finally getting a chance to join this group. Yipppiyayoyayayay...

:banana::banana::banana:

Hi,
I was interviewed and accepted in September (with the other 2 girls from TCNJ). My name is Becky and I am 22/f/Cherry Hill. I am actually in Honduras volunteering in a clinic for the year, so I am kind of out of the loop...hopefully this site will stay updated so I can keep up with any new news!

Congratulations to you too! It must be a wonderful, eyeopening experience to be working in such a clinic. I've always wanted to do that.

I've recently been accepted! 23/f/Cherry Hill but currently in working at a lab in MO. Does any one of you know when the student accepted day will be? I'm thinking about having a roommate next year who doesn't mind living with two well behaved chihuahuas so I don't want to miss that event.

I've recently been accepted! 23/f/Cherry Hill but currently in working at a lab in MO. Does any one of you know when the student accepted day will be? I'm thinking about having a roommate next year who doesn't mind living with two well behaved chihuahuas so I don't want to miss that event.

April

wooohoooo class of 2012..

anyone going to the accepted students luncheon?

I haven't heard anything about the accepted students luncheon yet, but I definitely would want to go. Have they sent out information about this yet?

If I remember right, they said it would be in March, but I haven't received anything in the mail either yet.

ok guys
so does everyone HAVE to attend the summer program, or only the untraditional students??
also
im 20yrs old male, looking to share an apartment, im really serious about school
any one interested

looking forward to meet all of you in the fall
BEST OF LUCK to all of us

ok guys
so does everyone HAVE to attend the summer program, or only the untraditional students??
also
im 20yrs old male, looking to share an apartment, im really serious about school
any one interested

looking forward to meet all of you in the fall
BEST OF LUCK to all of us

Congratulations!

If you are required to attend the summer program, it will say that on your acceptance letter. If not, then you aren't required to attend. Generally, nontraditional students, nonscience majors, URMs, and those thatthey feel could benefit from the program based on their undergrad grades and/or MCAT scores, are required to attend.