UIW Feik School of Pharmacy 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also got waitlisted :( Does anybody know if the waitlist is ranked? And if so, will they let us know what tier we're in or number???

Members don't see this ad.

No, I called and they said they couldnt give out that info. However, they'd call you if you do get off the list and into their pharm school. i have no idea how many are even waitlisted either.

Hello applicants,

I am currently a P2 student here at UIW FSOP. I would be more than glad to try to help you guys out with any information you may need. You can ask me on here or just shoot me a message.
I will get back to you as soon as I can, I am trying to pass my classes, lol.

Good Luck to everyone!![/QUOTE)

Hey RXdoctor, i got accepted in the fall 2010, but the school requires 80 hour pharm observation. i have no pharm experience, so what or where do you suggest to get that 80 hours done? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
1. I have no idea what the pharmacy job market is like in San Antonio, I am new to the field.

2. I've heard that UIW tends to go pretty deep through the waitlist so those of you that were waitlisted definitely still have a good chance. Our deposit is due May 7 so I would think they'd start calling people off of the waitlist a few weeks after that (just speculation).

3. Dr. Coleman said at the interview that they understand a lot of summer course won't end by August 9 and that it's fine. The calc-physics class I'm taking won't be over til Aug14 as well.

We have to do 80 hours of pharmacy observation right? It says so on the website but wasn't really mentioned in the letter.

Hey elevenphoenix, where or what you do to get your 80 hours of pharm observ 'cause i have no previous pharm experience. Thanks!! i live in dallas,btw

Hey elevenphoenix, where or what you do to get your 80 hours of pharm observ 'cause i have no previous pharm experience. Thanks!! i live in dallas,btw

I have no pharm experience either, so I asked a counselor at UIW if she could recommend a pharmacy. I'm spoke with that pharmacy and I'm going to start shadowing on Saturday.

You should probably just email a counselor and see what they say, I have no idea what's available in Dallas.

I received a voice message from Dr. Coleman. I returned her call and let her know that I will not be attending UIW. She stated that they are going to begin the process of accepting those on the waitlist...Good Luck to those who have been waitlisted...

Reactions: 1 user
I have no pharm experience either, so I asked a counselor at UIW if she could recommend a pharmacy. I'm spoke with that pharmacy and I'm going to start shadowing on Saturday.

You should probably just email a counselor and see what they say, I have no idea what's available in Dallas.

Thanks alot, i'll email them, did u email Ms. Dicianna or someone else? well, i called many places so far, but seemed negative. If UIW recommend us to a pharmacy, does the pharmacy take us really? did she recommend u to a public or a independent pharmacy? i really reallllly need to get it done. THankssss !!

I forgot to ask u something. Does the school have to give us any permit to shadow at a pharmacy? What i mean is does the pharmacy require any form of permit before allow us to stay in the pharmacy? if so, how do i get it? thanks

Hey guys, I just spoke with the school about being assigned student ID #s so we can start the financial aid process. The person who handles the paper work will be back in the office tom, and it should be taken care of by next week some time. Also, more information about orientation and events be sent out late May , early June. Hope this helps. :D

I forgot to ask u something. Does the school have to give us any permit to shadow at a pharmacy? What i mean is does the pharmacy require any form of permit before allow us to stay in the pharmacy? if so, how do i get it? thanks

No, there is no permit given shadow at a pharmacy. The only form you need is the pharmacy observational experience form located on their page (http://www.uiw.edu/pharmacy/pdadmissions.htm).

The best places to ask are independent pharmacies. Every corporate pharmacy that I have asked (HEB, CVS, and Walgreens) want you to be HIPAA certified (i.e. hired as an employee). That's usually what they would say to me.

Good Luck!:)

I spoke to Ms. Dicianna and she recommended a private pharmacy to me. I don't think public pharmacies like HEB, Walgreens, CVS, etc let anyone just shadow/observe. Yeah, I want to get it over with as soon as possible so it's one less thing to worry about.

Has anyone filled out FAFSA yet? I'm realllllllllly not sure how I'm going to pay for all of this...I have a lot of personal savings but that will be gone after 1-2 years (just covering living expenses).

I am working in pharmacy as Pharm.Tech from last two year and still there.
What should I do? Do i still require to fill out that 80 hours of observation form?
Anyone has idea about what should I do? Anything......

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone filled out FAFSA yet? I'm realllllllllly not sure how I'm going to pay for all of this...I have a lot of personal savings but that will be gone after 1-2 years (just covering living expenses).

I did fill out my FAFSA in hopes that it would speed up the process, but I haven't received any more information regarding it. From what I've heard the refund that you get back from the loans is enough to survive off with a meagerly budget...i hope that's true!

Has anyone that paid the confirmation fee by check or credit card had clearance yet? I know they said it would take a couple of days for processing, but it's been a while since I paid and the money still hasn't been taken out. Who knew I'd look forward to the day money is being taken out of my bank account! :laugh:

I did fill out my FAFSA in hopes that it would speed up the process, but I haven't received any more information regarding it. From what I've heard the refund that you get back from the loans is enough to survive off with a meagerly budget...i hope that's true!

Has anyone that paid the confirmation fee by check or credit card had clearance yet? I know they said it would take a couple of days for processing, but it's been a while since I paid and the money still hasn't been taken out. Who knew I'd look forward to the day money is being taken out of my bank account! :laugh:

ya, see my quote a couple of posts up. The person who handles taking your money out of your account just returned to the office. After she assigns you a student id #, you can then move on with FAFSA and financial aid. I also heard that the school doesnt release info to FAFSA until summer.

I paid my deposit a week after I received my acceptance. They took money out of my card four days later as I paid through credit card over the phone.

I filled out FAFSA the same day I paid my tuition deposit. Last week I called financial aid office at UIW and confirmed that they received my file from FAFSA. They said now I will be waiting for what school sents me, mean remaining document and neccessary information about financial aid, orientation and other things.

About student ID #, someone said he called and given answer that persone who is inchargd of that is not there. FYI yesterday I called office of admission just to get some more info that I needed. I asked that person about my student ID # if its ready. she trasfered me to counselor or someone and that perosn give me my student ID #.
she said that now I am in their system as UIW FSOP student.

Hope I answer some of the questions people want detail on it.

I am excited to meeting you all in fall 2010.

N'joy summer as much as you guys can. It is suck that I need to take Physic (calculus-based) over the summer eventhough I took Physics I and II both of which were non-calculus based.

See you soon all
:thumbup::cool:

I'm assuming no one has gotten pulled off the waitlist yet?

They told me on the phone they would start contacting people on Wed (5/12) but haven't really seen or heard of anyone getting called.

Just really anxious!!!

ya, see my quote a couple of posts up. The person who handles taking your money out of your account just returned to the office. After she assigns you a student id #, you can then move on with FAFSA and financial aid. I also heard that the school doesnt release info to FAFSA until summer.

Thanks! I attended UIW for undergrad, so I already have a student ID #, but I guess it just takes a while to process everything else. I'll just be patient!

I paid my deposit a week after I received my acceptance. They took money out of my card four days later as I paid through credit card over the phone.

I filled out FAFSA the same day I paid my tuition deposit. Last week I called financial aid office at UIW and confirmed that they received my file from FAFSA. They said now I will be waiting for what school sents me, mean remaining document and neccessary information about financial aid, orientation and other things.

About student ID #, someone said he called and given answer that persone who is inchargd of that is not there. FYI yesterday I called office of admission just to get some more info that I needed. I asked that person about my student ID # if its ready. she trasfered me to counselor or someone and that perosn give me my student ID #.

N'joy summer as much as you guys can. It is suck that I need to take Physic (calculus-based) over the summer eventhough I took Physics I and II both of which were non-calculus based.

See you soon all

Thanks a lot! Good luck with your physics class. :)

I'm assuming no one has gotten pulled off the waitlist yet?

They told me on the phone they would start contacting people on Wed (5/12) but haven't really seen or heard of anyone getting called.

Just really anxious!!!

I think they started calling today. I have a friend who was wait-listed and she received a call this afternoon. Good luck to you! :)

Last year, I heard that they called up until 1 week before orientation so don't worry if you don't hear right away.

quick question: my last day of summer classes is Aug 19th. Doesn't really matter when we finish right? As long as we make it to orientation?

I think they started calling today. I have a friend who was wait-listed and she received a call this afternoon. Good luck to you! :)

Last year, I heard that they called up until 1 week before orientation so don't worry if you don't hear right away.

They actually called me today when I was at work!

It's awesome since this school is so much closer to home than the previous school that I was accepted into.

Got a call today, been taken off the wait list!

Those who are still waiting, i spoke with them this morning, the admissions team met this morning to crunch numbers and to start pulling names off the wait list. They mentioned that they would notify us by phone call, so have your phone handy!

Though they never gave me a number, they did mention the list was relatively small, as in less than 50. Remember, 200 were interviewed, 100 accepted, leaving no more than 50 WL'd and 50 denied admission. Ya'll have good odds, so don't lose hope!

No, I called and they said they couldnt give out that info. However, they'd call you if you do get off the list and into their pharm school. i have no idea how many are even waitlisted either.

Ok thanks! Hope we hear from them soon!

See you soon all

I already filled out my FAFSA but didn't notice where they asked for a student ID number. Would you please tell me where this information was asked? Thank you!

I already filled out my FAFSA but didn't notice where they asked for a student ID number. Would you please tell me where this information was asked? Thank you!

Well, nevermind.
you don't need student ID# for FAFSA. I was gone do application for scholarship that UIW offers and thats where you need student ID#.

I called half hours ago at UIW financial aid office to get all this info. The lady said if you are transfer student you won't get any scholarship or fin.aid. you will only eligible for loans. She told me about my status and what I'll be getting from govrnement. The amount is enough to cover tuition and other expenses.

hope this help a little bit. Where you from?

Well, nevermind.
you don't need student ID# for FAFSA. I was gone do application for scholarship that UIW offers and thats where you need student ID#.

I called half hours ago at UIW financial aid office to get all this info. The lady said if you are transfer student you won't get any scholarship or fin.aid. you will only eligible for loans. She told me about my status and what I'll be getting from govrnement. The amount is enough to cover tuition and other expenses.

hope this help a little bit. Where you from?

Thanks for the info. I'm from Houston. You?

Congrats to those who got accepted!

Did anybody else get called off of the waitlist?

Congrats to those who got accepted!

Did anybody else get called off of the waitlist?

Just got the call yesterday. It was around two and the lady said they were going down the waitlist and my name was next. Kinda odd to me because i had never received any notice of being waitlisted so i figured i was rejected :-( Anyway, i had to decline since im headed to tx tech so good luck to those still waiting!

Does anyone know if UIW just got fully accredited? It seems like the school website was saying that but when I checked with Pharmcas it says that the school still has Candidate status.

Yes! As CardinalGirl said the University of the Incarnate Word Feik School of Pharmacy is FULLY accredited!! We received Full accreditation when the ACPE met in late June.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UIW Feik School of Pharmacy
Class of 2013

Does anyone know if FSOP still gives institutional grants? I saw on the Financial Aid website that they give a tuition discount based on your FSOP GPA or if you were a part of the UIW pre-pharm cohort. The year says 2009-2010 though, so I wasn't sure if this is still relevant for the incoming class. If so, when do they notify you? Or does it just show up on Bannerweb?

I am refering to the info on this link: http://www.uiw.edu/finaid/gradprofstud.html#pharm About half way down under the question Are there any institutional grants or scholarships for students returning to the Pharmacy program?

Does anyone know if FSOP still gives institutional grants? I saw on the Financial Aid website that they give a tuition discount based on your FSOP GPA or if you were a part of the UIW pre-pharm cohort. The year says 2009-2010 though, so I wasn't sure if this is still relevant for the incoming class. If so, when do they notify you? Or does it just show up on Bannerweb?

I am refering to the info on this link: http://www.uiw.edu/finaid/gradprofstud.html#pharm About half way down under the question Are there any institutional grants or scholarships for students returning to the Pharmacy program?

I'd talk to the financial aid office. They'd know for sure and they are there over the summer. There's no guarantee that you would be able to find someone at the pharmacy school that would know the answer.

Would someone who's currently attending UIW let me know what the ASAP exam is? Is it a cumulative exam, or does UIW give any end-of-year cumulative exams, and if so, how tough is it to pass? Thank you for your advice!

Would someone who's currently attending UIW let me know what the ASAP exam is? Is it a cumulative exam, or does UIW give any end-of-year cumulative exams, and if so, how tough is it to pass? Thank you for your advice!

You don't have to worry about the ASAP until the summer after each year. You take it the week of orientation for the new incoming class and it covers what you should have learned over that year. In the P2-P3 summers it will cover a little bit from the year(s) before. If you start reviewing the material a little bit each day about two months out, you should be fine unless you are one of the lucky ones that remembers everything they learned without having to review. As far as it's toughness, that is very relative. It will be tough if you haven't reviewed the material, even though they say not to.

You don't have to worry about the ASAP until the summer after each year. You take it the week of orientation for the new incoming class and it covers what you should have learned over that year. In the P2-P3 summers it will cover a little bit from the year(s) before. If you start reviewing the material a little bit each day about two months out, you should be fine unless you are one of the lucky ones that remembers everything they learned without having to review. As far as it's toughness, that is very relative. It will be tough if you haven't reviewed the material, even though they say not to.
Thank you for your advice!

I didn't see it in any paperworks, but aren't incoming P1 supposed to have a drug test? It seems like most schools require this, so did I somehow miss it in the paperwork?

By the way, I understand school is scheduled until 5:00 o'clock Monday to Friday but do classes actually go till 5:00 or do you normally get out earlier, and if so, how often and what time?

By the way, I understand school is scheduled until 5:00 o'clock Monday to Friday but do classes actually go till 5:00 or do you normally get out earlier, and if so, how often and what time?

Your first year, you will probably only have tests on Fridays in the morning, but they have been changing the P1 schedule since I went through it. I'd ask that question during orientation to be sure. You should have one or two days that you don't go till 5 though.

The only time I was there till 5 is when I had Pharmaceutics Lab which is only one day a week. PAC lab usually lets out early and you are rarely there for the whole time. Fridays are set aside for exams and you are usually done by lunch during your first year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
UIW Feik School of Pharmacy
Class of 2013