UIC College of Medicine Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when we get our award letters? Has anyone got any info on housing in mail yet?

Did anyone revisit the campus, or do they ever invite us for second look? I don't need it, but would love to meet future classmates.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

To those who interviewed at UIC and drove there, is there any parking available nearby? The letter I received did not have any such info.
I looked at their online maps, but most of the parking is via card access.

roggan said:
Hi!

To those who interviewed at UIC and drove there, is there any parking available nearby? The letter I received did not have any such info.
I looked at their online maps, but most of the parking is via card access.

Cook county hospital car park, on polk str, is right across the UIC College of Med or use UIC visitors parking on wood str and taylor. Good luck.

http://www.uic.edu/depts/oae/bldgs_pl/937.html

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you accepted in the january batch, when did your status page update to reflect the receipt of your deposit/site card? i sent my stuff in the day i got it and there is no update yet. also, for those who were accepted earlier, how long did it take before you got your site assignment?

site assignment took abt a week to get back. good luck!

DoctorG said:
Cook county hospital car park, on polk str, is right across the UIC College of Med or use UIC visitors parking on wood str and taylor. Good luck.

http://www.uic.edu/depts/oae/bldgs_pl/937.html

Thanks DoctorG :)

Is the parking in the cook county hospital lot free or have a time limit? In the map the structure looks big. Can I just park in anywhere or do I need to go to a special level?

roggan said:
Thanks DoctorG :)

Is the parking in the cook county hospital lot free or have a time limit? In the map the structure looks big. Can I just park in anywhere or do I need to go to a special level?

The CCH parking is not free (that would be nice); no time limit and you can park anywhere not reserved for the staff. Good luck.

DoctorG said:
The CCH parking is not free (that would be nice); no time limit and you can park anywhere not reserved for the staff. Good luck.

Thanks again! :D

We don't have a second look weekend, do we? I haven't received any information, but just wondering if there were just an event for UIC hopefuls. Also, in the coming months, will there be a listserv for students looking for roommates?

liebs3 said:
We don't have a second look weekend, do we? I haven't received any information, but just wondering if there were just an event for UIC hopefuls. Also, in the coming months, will there be a listserv for students looking for roommates?

As far as a second look goes, UIC doesn't have one. Hopefully the administration will creat a mailing list, but knowing their reputation, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

i know this is super early, but anyone have any living suggestions? dorms? apartments? perhaps looking for a roommate? im going to email some current students to get some ideas....

a current student pointed me to this site: http://www.villagegreen.com/med/default.htm

place looks nice and they've got a deal going where they give you 1 month off on 1bdr apts, and 1.5 months of on 2 bdr apts...

anyone know when orientation is? or when schools starts?

chitown82 said:
i know this is super early, but anyone have any living suggestions? dorms? apartments? perhaps looking for a roommate? im going to email some current students to get some ideas....

a current student pointed me to this site: http://www.villagegreen.com/med/default.htm

place looks nice and they've got a deal going where they give you 1 month off on 1bdr apts, and 1.5 months of on 2 bdr apts...

anyone know when orientation is? or when schools starts?

I've spent the past 4 years living in a dorm...so to hell with that...

I am definately in the market for an apartment and will probably need a roommate...

yea i spent four years in a frat and finally moved into an apt this year....no way i can go back to a dorm/frat type housing..

Members don't see this ad :)
Village Green looks great.

but a studio is the size of a cardboard box :laugh: oh i think i will
love chicago.

is anyone else scared to walk into a room of 175 on the first day? :scared:

LoveDoc said:
Village Green looks great.

but a studio is the size of a cardboard box :laugh: oh i think i will
love chicago.

is anyone else scared to walk into a room of 175 on the first day? :scared:

the first few weeks of school kinda set your social scene to some degree so if you meet the right people, you're set and if you don't, it might take a lil more time. im looking forward to beginnings...its the only time where its totally normal and expected to go up to random people and introduce yourself.

where is everyone from that is going to UIC? personally, from the northwest burbs of chicago..go to school in boston

yeah... I am going to need to find a roommate too. How are you all going about finding someone to live with?

nimer1456 said:
yeah... I am going to need to find a roommate too. How are you all going about finding someone to live with?

post here! haha, jk. i hope uic helps us out with some sort of mailing list or website dedicated to matching potential roommates.

I was thinking about staying in SSR so that I can meet more M1s. Seems like no one is goin to be there.. Betta start looking for apartment now. anyone know any good places...?

Illuminatus said:
I was thinking about staying in SSR so that I can meet more M1s. Seems like no one is goin to be there.. Betta start looking for apartment now. anyone know any good places...?

anyone know what ssr is like? i havent heard the best of things about it...and do most students live there or in apts?

chitown82 said:
anyone know what ssr is like? i havent heard the best of things about it...and do most students live there or in apts?

I've heard mixed stuff about SSR. Keep in mind it is a dorm so...

again, 4 years of dorm living = me ready for an apt!

I interviewed on 2/1/05 and my status page just changed to " A final decision has been made and you'll hear in two weeks and don't call us..." Based on the previous posts, most people have gotten acceptances afterwards. Anybody NOT get an acceptance with that message???

redruby said:
I interviewed on 2/1/05 and my status page just changed to " A final decision has been made and you'll hear in two weeks and don't call us..." Based on the previous posts, most people have gotten acceptances afterwards. Anybody NOT get an acceptance with that message???

great question. i wanna know too...

although from the looks of it, it doesn't seem so. those who got rejected still had "app in progress" on their status pages...

After I was accepted, I saw the online status update page...

"A final decision has been made..."

so don't be discouraged!

THIS IS FOR REAL
Please help! I need this if I am going to be a doctor!

My situation is such that if I am to attend UIC I MUST be at the Chicago campus. Not for 'fun' reasons, or because its cooler, etc. I look after my elderly parents who are in the Chicago area and so I cant go down to Urbana for the first year...its out of the question.

Therefore, I am willing to PAY cash to someone who is assigned to Chicago campus if they will switch campus assignments with me. I believe the addmissions people will have no problem if two people come into their office and ask to switch places.

So, if you could use some CASH right now, please PRIVATE MESSAGE me (not email).

It will be a lowest bidder type thing so lets talk! THIS IS NO JOKE!!!! Think of it as getting paid to do an act of charity!
Thanks

GTA said:
THIS IS FOR REAL

My situation is such that if I am to attend UIC I MUST be at the Chicago campus. Not for 'fun' reasons, or because its cooler, etc. I look after my elderly parents who are in the Chicago area and so I cant go down to Urbana for the first year...its out of the question.

Therefore, I am willing to PAY cash to someone who is assigned to Chicago campus if they will switch campus assignments with me. I believe the addmissions people will have no problem if two people come into their office and ask to switch places.

So, if you could use some CASH right now, please PRIVATE MESSAGE me (not email).

It will be a lowest bidder type thing so lets talk! THIS IS NO JOKE!!!! Think of it as getting paid to do an act of charity!
Thanks

hey there,

if you set up a meeting with the dean and explain to him your situation, im sure he'll switch you into the chicago campus. dont write a letter - go talk to him in person. i know some people who get accepted in april/may get into the chicago campus. also, people who are assigned to the chicago campus invariably drop their place at uic all together for another school (post may 15) thereby opening up a spot for someone who has compelling reasons such as yourself. let uic know of your situation (in person).

good luck

GTA said:
THIS IS FOR REAL

Thanks

You gotta do what you gotta do but know that It may be unethical to pay someone to switch with you.
Just go to the Dean or Dr Girotti and explain your situation. You have a legitimate reason to wanna be in chicago. They switch students for such reasons all the time.
Good luck to you.

seth03 said:
to everyone that was accepted this year...what were your stats and were you instate our out?

37 MCAT
Interviewed at the end of November 2004 in Rockford.
Got into the Chicago campus.

The weather is better in the Caribbean, but I'm not looking for a
four year vacation. :p

Last edited:
GTA said:
THIS IS FOR REAL

Thanks

Hey, as of now, I'm waiting for finaid, but if it pulls through, I do'nt think I will be attending UIC. I was assigned the Chicago campus so if I decide to not go, I'll gladly switch with you then and then withdraw...I can really empathize with you and your situation. Anyway, if you're interested, let me know, and I'll keep in touch.

UIC was my first choice and I will most definetly go there.

Here are some of my thoughts after having read the previous posts:

1. I think if your status page is updated w/ " final decision/date", you are pretty much in. Just do the math- MSAR says that U of I interviews like six hundred something applicants, and there are about five to six hundred acceptances offered (according to one of the posts which I think is logical and shall assume is legitimate). So, my view is, unless you come to your interview belligerently intoxicated and start throwing chairs at the interviewers, you are pretty much in- even if you get waitlisted (although that could be nerve-racking).

2. I'd start two threads for "UIC Housing- Chicago; Urbana" which people could post to w/housing inquiries and also start looking for roommates. Posting to these threads would be most reasonable once you actually have your site assignment.

3. Come on guys- does it really matter that much where you end up being assigned (unless you have special circumstances)? After all, you will become a doctor one way or the other. Just be glad you got into med school!!!

4. If you got into UIC, but are pretty set on going somewhere else, and have already gotten in to that other place,- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE withdraw your offer of admission NOW (you know- you get the entire $100 deposit back if you do it before May 15th). By doing this, you'll be very helpful to some of your future professional colleagues who are stressed out about being waitlisted.

Best Wishes to All!!

when is finaid due for UIC... and what do we have to fill out?

thanks guys

rjb said:
when is finaid due for UIC... and what do we have to fill out?

thanks guys

you get all the info for that w/ your acceptance packet... but in any case, fill out your FAFSA asap

is it really due March 2nd for grad students too?

Their website says that the priority deadline is March 1st. You only need to fill out your portion unless you want a need based scholarship, in which case you need to fill out the parents portion as well. Took me 10 min to fill out my renewal FAFSA... It's really easy if you have your federal and state tax forms ready. :D

One more question, do I need to fill out additional forms if I already filled out my parents info in the FAFSA? I know you need to do this for RUSH, but I'm not sure about UIC.

quick quesiton: what is the first day of classes/orientation for UIC?

MisterMo said:
quick quesiton: what is the first day of classes/orientation for UIC?

I know for sure orientation begins August 9 (Tuesday) and the white coat ceremony is August 13 (Saturday). Presumably, classes will start August 15.

I heard that white coat isn't until the summer before M2 year? Is it different for the Chicago track vs the Champaign/Rockford/Peoria track?

I e-mailed a few current UIC-Chicago students about housing and other general information. I'm cc-ing the reply here:

> i had a few questions i was hoping you could answer. i
> was looking as housing options and it would be great
> to get your opinions on the dorms at uic. i haven't
> heard the best things about them, but perhaps they
> aren't as bad as rumor has it. i was also looking at
> the medical district city apartments near the uic
> campus..any thoughts on those?

As for housing- I had many friends live in the dorms first year. If you
don't care about where you live, don't mind small dorm rooms- than it'd be
ok for you to live. There are lots of benefits to the dorms- cheap
($600/mo), Very close to campus- less than 5 min walk, connected to the
student union- so connected to the cafeteria, gym, and the bookstore, and
small food shop, and I think most utilities are included. But, then again, it is a dorm, so it's a bit dingy, and SMALL. Parking is available on the campus lots a few blocks away from the dorm for about $230 per semester, and then $180 or so in the summer. I personally, hate dorms, and I wanted my own apartment- I went for housing at the Medical district city apartments- although back then- it was called something else. Anyway, I had a convertible studio which I rented for $800/mo, and then paid about $100 for all my bills, and then $100 for parking. It's much more expensive, but I liked having my own spacious apartment, and they have a gym downstairs, it's only a 10 min walk to campus, and much nicer than the dorms. Now, I'm pretty sure the rent has gone up- something near $1000 for the convertible studio, but it really depends on what you prefer. Of course- if you have a roommate, living will be MUCH cheaper, and you could probably get a two bedroom at the Medical District apts for about $1600.

>general info about uic, the different tracks, etc.

Choosing between the sites really depends on your personality. If you're a small town person, and prefer smaller rural areas, than you should choose the Peoria campus. But, if you prefer larger cities, and don't mind traffic, and lots of bustle, than Chicago is for you.

Me, personally, I prefer Chicago, but I'm biased because I'm from here. I love Chicago because I think it has so much to offer anyone. We have tons of things to do around here, museums, tons of restaurants, great theatre/opera/symphonies, and zoos, fun parks, and a navy pier which you
can go and tour on any weekend. The Navy Pier is right off lake Michigan,
and there's tons of attractions there, a ferris wheel, lots of little shops, restaurants, bars, a children's museum, the Shakespeare Theatre, and large cruise ships that go out on dinner cruises often. So, needless
to say, we have a lot here in Chicago.

The medical school campus is also the largest in Chicago, and I think we have a lot to offer our medical students here beacuse we are affiliated with so many hospitals that we rotate our medical students through. We have over 8-10 hospitals that I can think of off the top of my head. This is a huge bonus. And yes! We do start rotating medical students through the hospital as early as the 1st year of studies. 1st and 2nd year your hospital exposure and patient exposure is limited compared to 3rd and 4th, but we definitely do try and get you in there as soon as possible, and pair you each up with a primary care physician to shadow throughout your first year. At those sessions, you will have the opportunity to practice you patient history taking skills. And then during your second year, you'll have opportunities (6wks) dedicated to time for you all to go into the hospitals and start working with
patients, taking histories and physical exams. It's a lot of fun.

The class size at the Chicago campus is so large that I really feel anyone can make tons of friends and find numerous groups and student organizations to participate in. I sure took advantage of that, and got really involved and met so many different people.

One major downfall of the Chicago campus is that it is very expensive. It runs about $800-$1,000 for a one bedroom apt. Sometimes you can get lucky and find something for a bit cheaper.... or if you have someone you want to live with, you could definitely find something for $600-$700 per month. Parking is also expensive and usually runs between $75-$150 per month. Depending on where you live. We do offer student dorms which many students take advantage of during their first year because it's cheap, and right across the street from the medical school building. It's about $600 per month, but again... it's a dorm, so you can't expect too much.

The area is gernerally pretty safe if you're smart about it. Don't go walking around at night by yourself, and don't leave all your bags open, especially when you're taking public transportation. Our school offers student parking for about $250 per semester. It's the luck of the draw pretty much which parking lot you get. The sooner you sign up the better the spot. The most desired lot is the Wood Street Parking Structure- covred parking close to school.

There are a lot of hospitals around here that have their own Children's hospital. The most famous of Chicago is the Children's Memorial hospital, located in Lincoln Park. You can rotate there during your 3rd and 4th years if you apply. We also have Advocate Christ's Children Hospital in Oak Lawn- approx 30 min from campus. It's also a VERY good Children's hospital. And every hospital has a children's unit, but those are the two best that stand out in my mind. We do rotate our studetns through Advocate Christ, so if you're lucky you may get assigned there during your 3rd year pediatrics rotation. I loved it!

The curriculum does do it's best to prepare you, and UIC Chicago medical students have always been commended on our outstanding clinical skills. We are very prepared clinically, and as for the knowledge component... you get out of it what you put in. If you study hard and pay attention to lectures, you will come out an excellent physician. If you study enough just to pass... well, you'll still be an M.D., but will have a harder time out in the wards. But yes, our curriculum does prepare you well.

wow, that's all very good to know!
i dropped off my preference card today at S. Wood Street, and was pleasantly surprised with the area and the people working there. (i still haven't gotten a tour or sat in on any of the classes). but i really am hoping for Chicago! how long did it take you guys to hear back? and does your status page change at all? if i read this thread in detail, i'm sure i can answer that myself, but this thread has gotten sooo long...

thanks!! :)

JuicyDay said:
i dropped off my preference card today at S. Wood Street, and was pleasantly surprised with the area and the people working there. (i still haven't gotten a tour or sat in on any of the classes). but i really am hoping for Chicago! how long did it take you guys to hear back? and does your status page change at all? if i read this thread in detail, i'm sure i can answer that myself, but this thread has gotten sooo long...

I am hoping Chicago as well.. (Don't we all :p) When I was there to drop the card, the person there said that I can call on Thursdays to inquire. But I've read before that they don't tell site assignment info over the phone. The person working there was new, so I dunno. She said she had only been there for a week, so if we get her on Thursdays, then maybe she'll tell us.. hehe

JuicyDay said:

Once your acceptance is processed, something like this should appear on your status page:

Pre Enrollment Requirements
Regular Offer Accepted Y Accepted On 03/02/2005
Hepatitis B Form Received N Received On
Transcript Received N Received On
Deposit Received Y Received On 03/02/2005

Current Status
Acceptance and Deposit Received, Pre-Enrollment requirements not yet complete (Please see above)

Hope that helps...

Mine says the same thing too:

Regular Offer Accepted Y Accepted On 03/02/2005
Hepatitis B Form Received N Received On
Transcript Received N Received On
Deposit Received Y Received On 03/02/2005

Current Status
Acceptance and Deposit Received, Pre-Enrollment requirements not yet complete

I called them about site assignments and they said they haven't started processing requests yet, and they won't tell us which site we got assigned to over the phone.

cool, mine says the same. so i guess the only way you can know where you're assigned is by mail. it takes about a week, i hear.

JuicyDay said:
cool, mine says the same. so i guess the only way you can know where you're assigned is by mail. it takes about a week, i hear.

It took about two weeks for me to receive the letter. I guess in previous months they have been quicker. I actually called the Admissions Office before I received the the letter and pleaded with them to tell me. The first week I called they wouldn't tell me, but the second week I called, a different person picked up and she told me. Good luck!

I think I have made up my mind on housing. First year is gonna be SSR, and then move out into the apt in second year. so who else is in for SSR?

Illuminatus said:
I think I have made up my mind on housing. First year is gonna be SSR, and then move out into the apt in second year. so who else is in for SSR?

if i get chicago, i'd do ssr for the first year. (i've been living in a dorm for 4 years now, and i am tooooo spoiled to give up proximity). plus i want to get to know some people so i can figure out who to get an apt with in the following years. i've had bad roommates; don't wanna repeat that in med school by picking a random one!) :)

does anyone know the names of apartment complexes near the med school (except for med district city apts)? or realtors in the area?

i'm an M1--i live ~10 minute walk from campus and rent from New Realty. for those of you who don't want to live in ssr there are plenty of apartments for reasonable price (i.e. not as expensive as medical district apts) within walking distance. i found my apartment in less than a day--it's a two-bedroom and i live by myself.

schwannoma said:
i'm an M1--i live ~10 minute walk from campus and rent from New Realty. for those of you who don't want to live in ssr there are plenty of apartments for reasonable price (i.e. not as expensive as medical district apts) within walking distance. i found my apartment in less than a day--it's a two-bedroom and i live by myself.

I know a UIC pharm student who lives in downtown/goldcoast and takes a short el ride to campus every day... does anyone think this is a good idea, since the neighborhood UIC is in kind of sucks? Or do you think it's more important to be closer to campus at whatever cost?

For those of you waiting to hear about site assignments from the last batch of acceptances, I just wanted to let you know that I received mine today in the mail so your letters shouldn't be too far behind.

Good luck to all :)

UIChopeful said:
For those of you waiting to hear about site assignments from the last batch of acceptances, I just wanted to let you know that I received mine today in the mail so your letters shouldn't be too far behind.

Good luck to all :)

I'm just curious: where were u assigned?