UIC Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea, I'll second that--the form sucks.

Granted, this is my own fault, BUT...i wasn't really paying close attention and just figured that since I knew I had all my immunizations I'd be fine. However, it doesn't just want proof that you got the shots. You need to actually have blood drawn to confirm immunity.

Members don't see this ad.

This post is for those in the UMed program. I don't know if you UMeders out there got the email from Susan about the bus tour of the city. It's the first time UIC and the UMed program is having this tour, but it appears as though it will be very interesting. Some of the neighborhoods that we'll be visiting have a very rich and diverse history (and the professor that is taking us on the tour will share some insights with us on that subject). If you haven't reserved a spot on the bus, I would recommend taking up the offer.

Sooo, if you're in the UMed program, take the opportunity to visit a learn the neighborhoods where you're going to be doing your clinical rotations and volunteer work...

In any case, see you at orientation.

Hey all-

I am an M3 selling most of the books I used M1 year. They are in pretty decent condition and most of them have some underlining w/pencil. I will only
be on campus this week, so if you are interested in buying them, you'll
need to meet me at school around 1:30 on any day this week. They were
the newest editions when I bought them. Also, there really is no
"required" reading for class, you just choose what works for you-
however, all the books I bought are either on the prof's syllabus for
"assigned" reading and/or highly recommended by students. I would
prefer to sell all of them together for $300 (which is probably several
hundred less than you'd spend at the bookstore), but in case that
doesn't work out, here they are individually priced. Obviously- whoever
offers to buy everything for $300 (o.b.o.) gets priority. This is
basically everything (and more) you'll need M1 year (there are 1-2
things you might have to buy (about $50 extra online- I will tell you
what they are)).

Simon Abramson
Class of 2009
[email protected] <------ contact me by this e-mail please

Here's the list:

Gray's Anatomy for Students- $30
Langman's Embryology- $15
Biochemistry (Lippincott's)- $20
Medical Biochemistry (Master Medicine)- $15
Molecular Cell Biology (Lodish)- $10
Ross Histology- $30
Berne and Levy Physiology- $35
Costanzo Physiology- $15
Nolte Neuroanatomy +study guide- $30
Haines Neuroanatomy atlas- $30
Purves Neuroscience- $35
Fadem Behavioral Science- $20
Board Review Series (BRS) Neuroanatomy- $15
BRS Gross Anatomy- $15
BRS Cell Biology- $15
BRS Physiology- $15
BRS Biochemistry- $15
BRS Embryology- $15
BRS Behavioral Science- $15

Members don't see this ad :)
another question to current uic students...how reliable is the uic shuttle? if i lived along its route, would i be able to use it as my daily commute option? also, what's the area along western ave. like?
I wouldn't suggest living near Western.... The areas between Ashland and Racine are much more desirable. I've lived in the area for a few years now. The "red car" service that was mentioned is available, but not until after 11pm. I've never used it- since I am rarely in need of transportation after 11pm. PM me if you have any ?s

I wouldn't suggest living near Western.... The areas between Ashland and Racine are much more desirable. I've lived in the area for a few years now. The "red car" service that was mentioned is available, but not until after 11pm. I've never used it- since I am rarely in need of transportation after 11pm. PM me if you have any ?s
I've lived all around the UIC area for quite a long time (including Western), and while it's not the safest neighborhood, it will definitely get you by and cost much less in the process. There were many people in my class (guys and girls) last year that lived by Western, and I didn't hear of any problems. There are plenty of different ways to get to and from campus )the 38 bus and the shuttle bus) stop right on the corner of taylor and western and then drops you off right in front of the college of medicine--they both run at 8-15 minute intervals. Your options are only really limited really late at night. The shuttle still runs, although it is not as often--and you also have the red car, which is really a free taxi service.

PM me if you have any questions.

It's not THAT terrible, but students who are unfamiliar with the area should be more cautious about living west of campus. I was mugged at 8pm walking home a few years back- not a big deal and it could happen anywhere... I've had a number of friends who have had worse experiences west of campus. I'm not trying to scare anyone- I love this neighborhood and still live here now. If you want to feel more secure opt for housing east of campus. You can get more for your money west, but there is a reason for that ;)

I've lived all around the UIC area for quite a long time (including Western), and while it's not the safest neighborhood, it will definitely get you by and cost much less in the process. There were many people in my class (guys and girls) last year that lived by Western, and I didn't hear of any problems. There are plenty of different ways to get to and from campus )the 38 bus and the shuttle bus) stop right on the corner of taylor and western and then drops you off right in front of the college of medicine--they both run at 8-15 minute intervals. Your options are only really limited really late at night. The shuttle still runs, although it is not as often--and you also have the red car, which is really a free taxi service.

PM me if you have any questions.

It's not THAT terrible, but students who are unfamiliar with the area should be more cautious about living west of campus. I was mugged at 8pm walking home a few years back- not a big deal and it could happen anywhere... I've had a number of friends who have had worse experiences west of campus. I'm not trying to scare anyone- I love this neighborhood and still live here now. If you want to feel more secure opt for housing east of campus. You can get more for your money west, but there is a reason for that ;)

What kind of "worse experiences" did your friends have? It seems like the only things worse than muggings would be physical crimes and break-ins.... but I'd rather hear it from you than just speculate.

books are sold, thank you for interest and enjoy your summer!

Does any1 know about how long after you have turned all the pre-enrollment requirements in, that the status page actually changes and says complete? I am asking b/c I have turned it all in...like directly face to face into the office where the lady told me everything was in, but my status page still has not changed. Thanks.

Does any1 know about how long after you have turned all the pre-enrollment requirements in, that the status page actually changes and says complete? I am asking b/c I have turned it all in...like directly face to face into the office where the lady told me everything was in, but my status page still has not changed. Thanks.

It took me a couple weeks, I called them and asked and they said the delay was in that they had to go and verify the pre reqs in your transcript.

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

i appreciate the concern. :)

actually, i am currently living in hyde park, and when i visited an apartment there, it was certainly no worse than hyde park. either way, i ended up getting a place east of the medical district...but it was mostly b/c i wanted to be able to walk to school, and i couldn't find any places west of the medical district that was close enough for me.

1) Any idea as to when and where we'll get out book list for next year? :confused:

2) I've heard that we'll have a few lockers at school. Does anyone know how many locks we'll need?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Any idea as to when and where we'll get out book list for next year? :confused:

2) I've heard that we'll have a few lockers at school. Does anyone know how many locks we'll need?

For the book list it will vary. Some students use the required books and some do not. With that said, here are three of the major books that are almost standard for the students here at UIC. For most of these classes you might use other books, but these are standard and gold. Also, you'll get a "student-to-student" guide that has a list of books that you'll need. It's pretty good, but you should go to an M2 and ask which books you'll really need.

Anatomy
-Netter-- (some prefer the Rohen, but you just have to see what you like)
Histo
-Ross, Kaye, Pawlina: Histology
Physiology
-Costanzo's Physiology (she also does the BRS, and both are concise)-- most people don't get the Berne and Levy--the saying is Burn and Leave it

for biochem, the professor's notes/slides are all you need, but you might get Lippincott's Illustrated Review if you want some extra review material.

PM me if you're concerned about books for another class

As far as locks/lockers go:
You'll for sure have two lockers--
1) anatomy lab, which you may choose to share with another person
2) histo lab, which you may choose to share with a M2 if you share microscopes ****more on this after the lockers****
3) You MAY have a third locker in the study area--these lockers are somewhat limited and there is a "lottery" for them

Sharing a microscope--
I would recommend that you share a microscope with an M2. Some faculty recommends that you get your own, but it's completely unnecessary. Share a microscope and split the costs. PM me if you want to share it with someone and I might be able to find somebody for you.

As far as a booklist goes, you can look at this list (warning: PDF), http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/ugme/pdfs/Textbook_2007Revised.pdf, although I'd strongly advise you to resist the urge to go out and buy all of them. That's last years list, things could very easily change. Your anatomy professor is constantly revising his curriculum, so pretty much the only constant book is Netter, but the great majority of you will probably get that for free when you sign up for AMSA. If you really really want to get a book, get Costanzo's physio. It's a mainstay, and will be useful although some professors will tell you about how they hate it...

You'll get an updated textbook list during orientation which should be plenty of time to order books over the internet and save some money.

When does everybody think our financial aid things are finalized?

Anybody have any information on the proficiency exams? Is it a good idea to take them and get the classes out of the way, or would it be more beneficial to take the classes with everybody else?

Anybody have any information on the proficiency exams? Is it a good idea to take them and get the classes out of the way, or would it be more beneficial to take the classes with everybody else?

I don't know what the policy is for whether or not you can honor a class through proficiency exams. I didn't even know about the dates for the exams, so I didn't take any of them but it is pretty nice to not have to worry about a class during the year. One example: we were all studying for one round of exams (which included both neuroanatomy and our head and neck anatomy exam) and one of our classmates didn't have to worry about neuro. While we were all studying for neuro, she got to focus on anatomy.

What?! We can test out of M1 classes? How did you learn about this, and where can I learn more?

Can anyone recommend a place for an oil change near school?

I don't know what the policy is for whether or not you can honor a class through proficiency exams. I didn't even know about the dates for the exams, so I didn't take any of them but it is pretty nice to not have to worry about a class during the year. One example: we were all studying for one round of exams (which included both neuroanatomy and our head and neck anatomy exam) and one of our classmates didn't have to worry about neuro. While we were all studying for neuro, she got to focus on anatomy.

I'm sorry to say, you cannot honor a class by passing a proficiency exam. So when it comes down to it, it's a matter of whether you'd benefit more from having that "O" on your record, or having that much more free time. (O = outstanding = honors) Neuroanatomy is a good example, as it takes up HUGE amounts of time (it owns you for 2 months), but in the long run is a measly 2 credit class, which is a drop in the hat really considering you'll be taking 40 credits throughout the year. So if you could pass that one before-hand, it could be helpful. But you may want to sit through physio if you're a physio ace, as the fall and spring semesters are each worth 5 credits. Most will tell you in the long run none of this preclinical grade hubbub matters, and it's all about step 1 anyway, so don't fret too much over it. Regarding scheduling these I believe there was something in your acceptance packet or site assignment packet or something of that nature that talks about deadlines for this stuff. If it hasn't passed already, it's probably rapidly approaching (as is orientation! who's ready!? keep your eyes open for emails regarding a specific orientation evening event, they may already have been sent.)

I was just accepted to UIC this week. I will be placed in the UPR track and wanted to get some information about each of the three campuses. I know this subject has been explored before now, but I really want to make an educated decision where to rank my campus preferences. Any information about the campuses would be helpful. Thanks so much!

Here's something fun for you guys to perhaps generate some excitement/make it feel a little more real. Your schedules for the year are posted here: http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/ugme/dates/index.shtml , I'm guessing these are still subject to change, but you can get an idea of what's to come. Looks like your first exam will be biochemistry, Tuesday September 4th (the day after labor day)!

I've seen a brief discussion on studentdoctor.net about laptops, but I was wondering if any M2's or M3's could enlighten us about whether you use laptops everyday at school? and if its worthwhile to bring one to class? any suggestions??

Also, FYI...Admissions is sending out letters with everyone's UIN numbers this week (in case you lost or misplaced your acceptance letter). They're asking that everyone register for classes using your UIN.

As an M3- I recommend doing the following right now- drink yourself into oblivion daily until one day b/f classes start.. and that goes for you M2's as well.. you do not even understand how precious the free time you have now is!!! Use it for belligerence and debauchery!!

Or you could redeem the time and do good. Perhaps it would be wiser to enjoy the freedom you have to interact with loved ones around you and get plenty of rest.

Simon and other current students:

How often did you actually go to class (as opposed to studying on your own)?

thanks!

I went to almost every class in the first semester and in the beginning of the second semester. After that, I only went to classes taught by certain professors. With that said, I did much better when I did not go to class.

What you realize is that you'll get endless different answers to this questions. You have to go in there and see for yourself. If you're not getting anything out of class, then try not going to class and only reading coops/notes/books.

I've seen a brief discussion on studentdoctor.net about laptops, but I was wondering if any M2's or M3's could enlighten us about whether you use laptops everyday at school? and if its worthwhile to bring one to class? any suggestions??

Also, FYI...Admissions is sending out letters with everyone's UIN numbers this week (in case you lost or misplaced your acceptance letter). They're asking that everyone register for classes using your UIN.

There were plenty people in our class with laptops (a surprising number of them were tablets, but that's a whole other story). There were also plenty of people without laptops. You don't need to bring one to class... go with what has worked for you in the past.

Remember that there is a computer lab in the basement, and people go there to print their note packets between classes.

Simon and other current students:

How often did you actually go to class (as opposed to studying on your own)?

thanks!

I agree, you will get many responses to this question. M1 year.. go to class at first, figure out if it is your style. Some people like going because of the repetition, others like going b/c profs give away stuff on tests occasionally, others because it keeps them on track. In any case, you'll figure out your style eventually.. it took me a semester.

Perhaps I might be bias- but I would highly recommend going to every single Lieska anatomy lecture, even though they may seem painful at first- he is absolutely the best professor you will have at UIC... and I've already had them all.

Peace.

Does anyone know if we will be able to get a financial aid budget increase in order to purchase a laptop? I remember an M2 mentioned this during my interview, but I cannot find any additional information...

Please share! :p

If you feel you need an increase in financial aid, just go to the financial aid office and submit a request (there is a form).

Does anyone know if we will be able to get a financial aid budget increase in order to purchase a laptop? I remember an M2 mentioned this during my interview, but I cannot find any additional information...

Please share! :p

As I recall, they offer a ONE TIME ONLY budget increase of up to $3000, but you can only do this one time and one time only during your 4 year stay at UIC-COM. I'm not finding the forms for this online, so I'm only assuming this is still an option, you're best off calling financial aid directly, they'll point you in the right direction to find the right paperwork. Budget increases aren't necessarily the simplest procedure, I had to get one for my too expensive rent (last year they'd only budgeted ~600$/month for everything which didn't seem to quite cut the mustard). They didn't give me too much grief over it, but it does require all of what you are asking to be properly documented, they won't take your word for it. So call first and figure out what you need to bring before you go in there looking to fill out some forms.

Thanks- I do recall the mention fo the increase for housing.... I know that requires a lease or mortgage payment info.

Earlier this year I saw a form online for a computer/laptop $$ request too. Maybe I'll just wait until Santa brings me one!!

My OLD laptop isn't cutting it anymore :-(

If it's of any consolation- the computers in Edelstone are pretty good AND so are the new chairs

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a female roommate to share an apartment with in the UPR track. If you still need a place to live, PM me and I'll tell you more about myself!!

Thanks!

I was peeking at the block schedule today and noticed that we don't have a spring break.... Anyone know if this is true?

I'm not surprised, just sad :confused:
I'll probably be dying for sleep by then!

I was peeking at the block schedule today and noticed that we don't have a spring break.... Anyone know if this is true?

I'm not surprised, just sad :confused:
I'll probably be dying for sleep by then!

That schedule is not set in stone, but it probably wont change much. We had three days off for "spring break" last year. (and I had my standardized patient exam on one of those days +pissed+)

I was in the last class to have a spring break.

There is no spring break now because the fall semester was moved forward by one week in order to be in compliance with the University's insurance policy (which states we cannot start earlier than one week before the undergrads).

So think of it as having an extra week of summer vacation!!

no spring break?! :mad: do they want us to burn out?

also, for the summer reading book.... it there any kind of grade attached to this, or is it just "please read this for orientation"?

That book is for ECM-related crap/orientation related crap. I did not read it. Read a summary online if you want to make yourself feel better, or read the whole damn thing if you like reading- people say it is a "good read" (my idea of a good read is 3 hours of TV).

Also advice for M1's AND M2's. Don't focus on ECM too much, it might be worth lots of hours, but it is, for the most part- an almost completely useless class. The only useful things are learning how to take history for M1 year, and doing a physical M2 year (and def some of biostats and ethics.. which appeared on Step 1 and they needed to spend more time on). Plus the patient interaction that comes along with it is good... but the sitting around and discussing bull for 2 hours was a total waste of our time.

Anyways... ENJOY.

(P.S. Remember- Class is optional, so if you really want to make a Spring Break for yourself... go ahead, people have done it in the past)

cool, thanks :laugh:

speaking of step 1... how did yours go?

cool, thanks :laugh:

speaking of step 1... how did yours go?

alright, def. didn't close any doors for me

although talking to the hot girl sitting next to me during breaks cost me 7 minutes from my last block, and maybe a couple points...

damn hot girls

BUMP!

Greetings M1s! I know that today was your first looooong day of orientation. I hope it's going well for you all.

Have fun tonight. :)

Does anyone know how we can find out if we've satisified the 1-year behavioral science requirement? I don't want to find out my classes dont qualify and its too late!

*bump* Anyone? Granted, I'm applying for 2008 (and just got an interview), but I'd love to hear if anyone knows the best way to go about this.... Wait until you're accepted? Ask at the interview? Or will they mention it in your acceptance (i.e., you must take ______ before matriculation)? Thanks!

*bump* Anyone? Granted, I'm applying for 2008 (and just got an interview), but I'd love to hear if anyone knows the best way to go about this.... Wait until you're accepted? Ask at the interview? Or will they mention it in your acceptance (i.e., you must take ______ before matriculation)? Thanks!

In my experience, youll hear about it the interview day. that's the time to ask questions. but in the end you must make sure youve done everything. dont expect the school to give you reminder s about it.

In my experience, youll hear about it the interview day. that's the time to ask questions. but in the end you must make sure youve done everything. dont expect the school to give you reminder s about it.

Thanks. I certainly don't expect a school to give me a reminder. I was just hoping that any acceptance letter (knock on wood) from UIC would clearly state if they felt that you were lacking a requirement given that there are a TON of people who are uncertain about whether they've satisfied the uncommon behavioral science requirement at UIC. I filled in the courses that I hope might satisfy those requirements on my secondary application, but am not positive that they will be sufficient. I was hoping that there was some formal review/notification if they rejected the behavioral science classes you listed as insufficient.

But thanks for the suggestion - I'll definitely bring it up on interview day.

the acceptance is just the same for everyone (form letter). But be proactive and plan ahead, and youll be fine