UIC Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Come on UIC people, this thread is easily the least active of any of the Chicago school threads. We need to pull ourselves together here!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha for sure...ok then, what is everyone doing this summer? Working or Relaxing? Anyone applying to the UMed program they talked about during second look day? I applied to the UMed program but have not heard anything yet. Hope everyone is now at ease that this long long long process is just about over :)

I have a question: Any idea who I should contact if I'm thinking of deferring for a year? I can't find ANY info on this in regards to UIC (ie...do they even allow it?).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone here on the UPR track?? i'm an M1 in urbana this year going to rockford in the fall. So if any of you UPR folks have any questions don't hesitate to PM me. :)

I also have a place to rent for next year. PM for more details.

congrats and good luck

I have a question: Any idea who I should contact if I'm thinking of deferring for a year? I can't find ANY info on this in regards to UIC (ie...do they even allow it?).

Have you spoken with Linda Singleton yet? In my experience, she's been the best person to contact with any questions.

Thanks!

Good question. If you have an MSAR check that, it tells you if the school allows you to defer so thats a good place to start. If they do I am not sure who you would contact but I would just call the admissions office, they have always been really helpful when I have had issues.

I'll be starting my apartment hunt in Champaign/Urbana in the next few weeks. Any good suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone applying to the UMed program they talked about during second look day? I applied to the UMed program but have not heard anything yet.
I just heard today I was accepted to the UMed program. Delighted about it!

YAY for UIC! Ok thats all i have to say at this point. =)

Anybody else hear back from the UMed program? I applied but haven't heard anything yet. Just wondering if they are still offering spots out or if they have all been given out already...Anyone know?

Hey everyone,

I spoke with Linda Singleton. If you're interested in deferring, you need to send a letter (via REAL mail) to the admissions committee. They then meet and decide whether or not they will grant the deferment, and respond to you in writing.

I've decided to not bother at all. If i was going to do it, I needed to find out rather quickly whether or not this could happen cause of a pending job offer. Instead, I'm just going to work for my dad during the summer, and start in August with all of you. :)

I just got accepted into the UMed program today! Very excited...

I spoke with the Assistant Director this week. She told me that they are looking to accept 12 people in the next week or so. Apparently they had about 60 applications, however many of those applicants have not yet been accepted into UIC. So I think they're going to wait until later on (not sure when exactly) to accept a second batch of 12 or so. Hope this info helps. Give the assistant director a call if you have any questions--she's very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you happen to have the assistant director's number? thanks

Has anyone gotten information about next year's schedule for UIC-chicago? Specificially, I need to know when orientation starts, and when winter break starts and ends. Any info would be much appreciated!

M1 Orientation
(the week of)
August 13, 2007

Classes Begin
August 20, 2007
(source: Office of Student Affairs website)

I don't see any info up for us yet, and the c/o 2010 is still listed as the M1 class. However, the schedule from their orientation is probably a good idea of what we can expect:
http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/osa/M1Year/index.html

This was part of the school's advice for orientation attire:
What to wear during the week
Heating and cooling can be uneven in classrooms and meeting rooms so wearing layers of clothing is suggested.

If you attended 2nd Look Day, you know this is definitely true. I've never been advised to wear layers in August before :laugh:

Hey All,

I'm new to SDN...I noticed that someone has or was going to create a facebook group for the class of 2011 but I wasn't able to find it? Is it in the works?

There is certainly one already up for the Chicago campus people. It is called UIC College of Medicine Class of 2007. I am not sure about the UPR track though.

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question that I wanted to ask on here...it deals with May 15th. If we have accepted and plan on attending, do we need to notify AMCAS :confused: ??? I heard somewhere that we need to, but I don't know how to (if this is indeed the case). Any insight would be great.

Thanks,
Sincerely,

Nanomed

I have been trying to withdraw from Rush, but I emailed them. that was the only thing i could do, cuz they dont answer the phone so I dont know if that was enuf. They havent responded to my emails either so I dont know what this all means. Anyone else have this problem?

Luhando, I emailed them a few days ago and they responded back in record time (< 2 hours). Maybe they're dealing with a lot of emails since it's the withdrawal deadline?

I still could not find the UIC chicago group on facebook...que pasa?..

We only need to have our immunization records/hep B stuff plus transcript in by July 1, right?

So since I know there are some current UIC students who visit this thread occasionally...

Does anyone have any comments on living off of the cta pink line, which runs south and west of the med district (other than the polk stop, of course, so 18th st and beyond) ?

thanks!

Well, I just wanted to say Hi to everyone. I made my final decision to attend UIC early last week. I just received my site assignment and it is Urbana for M1 and then off to Peoria.

another question to current uic students...how reliable is the uic shuttle? if i lived along its route, would i be able to use it as my daily commute option? also, what's the area along western ave. like?

Anyone here request a campus change and hear anything back yet?

another question to current uic students...how reliable is the uic shuttle? if i lived along its route, would i be able to use it as my daily commute option? also, what's the area along western ave. like?

You could use it, it's not so bad during the day when classes are in session. I believe it comes every 15 minutes. During the evening it's not as convenient, but it still runs late into the night, however only every 30 minutes, which can be a brutally long wait if it's cold or raining. I do find that whenever I use it to get to the east campus, It always takes me about 35-40 minutes just with waiting for the bus and on the bus, etc, when I could easily take my bike there in 8-10 minutes.

You also mentioned living near western avenue, which I can say at least personally, I wouldn't want to wait for 30 minutes along western avenue. It's not that it's that dangerous, and it's not so bad I wouldn't walk around there... but it does have a seedy feel to it.

Also, when UIC's shuttle isn't running, they have a "redcar" service which will come and pick you up and drop you off (with a minimal wait, too, I believe) at any hours when the shuttle ISN'T running. Now the redcar will only go to areas served by the shuttle, but you can always get home with it.

So ya living off the bus-line is probably doable, and bus+bike might be much better even, but I wouldn't call relying on the UIC shuttle ideal.

Hello all, I'm a M2 at UIC in the UMed program. I just wanted to say congrats to you all and let you know that if you have any questions you can send me a message and I'll try to respond. I'm also in the MD/MPH program, so I can answer questions about that as well.

Anyways, congratulations, good luck, enjoy your summer, and see you at orientation.

Anyone know about the "summer pre-matriculation program"???

Any word about campus transfer requests?

greytmedic, ntvu, kyley3k, Jr. Applicant, Super Mario, dream2c and mmaloof (and any others going UIUC/Peoria)... First off, all your UPR track people need to join the facebook group

http://uillinois.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2357351395
I dunno if there is another one somewhere else, but this is the one I found and it is dead with only 3 people.

also, those apartments by grangier sound cool, you think there are any still left? also, are they singles, doubles, triples??? and is any UIUC/Peoria person looking for a roommate? I dont' really want to live alone in a single... too expensive and too secluded.

I went to UIUC as an undergrad as well. near grangier would be choice and champaign is a huge no-no if you wanna actually make it past M1. And I grew up in Peoria, so if anyone has any questions there, feel free to ask.

But if anyones looking for a roommate, def let me know. I'm just a typical guy i guess, male or female roommate, either works for me.

Sorry guys, looks like I'll be rescinding my acceptance to UIC cause I just got accepted to my preferred school. Gluck these upcoming years! I hope you all do well!

C'MON CLASS OF 2011! GET EXCITED! Our thread is the least enthusiastic! =) UIC's awesome and we're all gonna have a great time there, I believe! Let's discuss our comments, concerns, and share our excitement!

Hey- Just wanted to say hi. See you in Aug. :)
Let me know if you have housing/parking questions- I live near campus now.... UIC that is.

If you want something to get excited about keep checking OSA's website (http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/osa/) and the above link posted that goes directly to "M1 Year". It's finally starting to be updated for the class of 2011, and once the orientation events are scheduled everything will be up there. Get excited, it's going to be a lot of fun, and it'll be here before you know it. Just don't plan on sleeping much during that week... =)

congrats on uic everyone. we've been making the news a lot in the past few weeks...no doubt our national reputation and raking (currently at 56 by usnews...up from the 70s not too long ago) will improve. many say we'll break into the top 50 in two years and into the top 45 in about five years. you all should check out the college of medicine's strategic plan for the future at http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/ ...the school is only getting better.

$22 million gift - largest in the college of medicine's history:
http://tigger.uic.edu/htbin/cgiwrap...tart=1173544271&end=1181320271&topic=0&dept=0

world's first robotic pancreatectomy w/ auto-islet transplant:
http://tigger.uic.edu/htbin/cgiwrap...tart=1173544271&end=1181320271&topic=0&dept=0

world famous pioneer of robotic surgery joins faculty:
http://tigger.uic.edu/htbin/cgiwrap...tart=1170947562&end=1178723562&topic=0&dept=0

$1 million gift to improve clinical performance center:
http://tigger.uic.edu/htbin/cgiwrap...tart=1170947562&end=1178723562&topic=0&dept=0

more research funding for diabetes ($1 million) and infertility ($7 million)
http://tigger.uic.edu/htbin/cgiwrap...tart=1170914400&end=1178686800&topic=1&dept=0

All this info is so useful! thanks!! =) I am really excited for O-week. I heard its a lot of fun! I heard last year every1 got to go to a Sox game and a cruise on Navy Pier and ofcourse bars like every night!! It sounds like a blast! But I bet the minute classes start its really overwhelming?!?! It gets busy really fast, right? I dont have facebook, but a friend told me that people are trying to get some sort of hang out arranged so every1 can meet before August??

we need more posts! =)

I just want to let every1 know that the immunization form that came with our acceptance letter will no longer be accepted. The new one is on the website...and thats what needs to be used. And i dont like the new form...its a lot more complex. We have to get blood tests done and two step TB tests and stuff. I am not a fan of the form!!

some advice before you start your years off- GO DRINK.. heavily- and if you're in town on Jun 16th, come drink with me as I go into an oblivion post Step 1, pre- ob/gyn clerkship

I just want to let every1 know that the immunization form that came with our acceptance letter will no longer be accepted. The new one is on the website...and thats what needs to be used. And i dont like the new form...its a lot more complex. We have to get blood tests done and two step TB tests and stuff. I am not a fan of the form!!

how did you discover this, luhando?

I called the admissions office ot see if they had received my immunization records and thats when they told me that it has changed and that the new form is the only one accepted. U can try calling too. Also the form posted online is completely different from the one that came with the acceptance form.

Thats weird that you got one with you acceptance packet. I just got a sheet that said they are going to use a new form and to wait and get it online. That must have been a real pain.