UH-Hilo Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone at U-Palms want to meet up to go to the "deans reception" thing at 4:00? stop by room 104 and ask for Chris.

Members don't see this ad.

I found this on craigslist for anybody that may be looking; even though it's probably a little late to be thinking about housing.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/apa/801458747.html

It's a 1200 sq. ft. apartment (2 story) with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths for 1000$ a month. So it'd be good for 3 people and a pretty easy rent, seems to be very cheap...

Says to Call 808-934-7014 for information. (Oh and no pets.)

what did you guys think of orientation today?

Members don't see this ad :)
thats pretty bad if people are bored already....

anyone going to da volcano?

thats pretty bad if people are bored already....

anyone going to da volcano?

lets go do something fun before school really starts!
We can take a taxi or all chip in to rent a car? Anybody??

lets go do something fun before school really starts!
We can take a taxi or all chip in to rent a car? Anybody??

if anyone like go to volcano, i would go up there and give people a ride. i havent been up there in awhile

or if not anyone wanna go beach? richardsons? i'll sell someone my 3 prong spear for 10 bucks, its only 5 feet but i bought it at walmart for 17 something i think. you just gotta sharpen it

I have a stupid question (or not), but since the CPR certification is required for hospital rotations and since I received a retail rotation (and I'm assuming that rotation sites are set for each semester), it should be okay to get the training done in say, December or something, right?

I have a stupid question (or not), but since the CPR certification is required for hospital rotations and since I received a retail rotation (and I'm assuming that rotation sites are set for each semester), it should be okay to get the training done in say, December or something, right?

i would probably think its good to get it done now or asap. i dont even know why you need cpr training. if you are gonna be in the pharmacy there is probably gonna be someone better trained then you. it just seems like they want you to have it just to seem important or something.

i am in a similar situation w/ my blood titers. i didnt get a positive for varicella so i got the 2 shots to be immunized for it. i told kaiser i wanted a blood titer done but they told me i dont need it and i need the doctor to get it for me. so im just not gonna do it. if someone tells me to do it then i'll do it but if not then whatevers. the hospital doesnt even require that you have a positive titer, its just for the pharmacy school

Guess I'll be calling the Red Cross now. BTW, is that class just one week long? Thanks

Guess I'll be calling the Red Cross now. BTW, is that class just one week long? Thanks

the one that i posted is like half a day. i think 7:30 to 11:30 but i think you usually finish earlier

i was also reading stuff in the packet and it said the CPR training is supposed to be the adult, children and baby one or something like that. the class that i put above is only the adult one. its what i took and no one has questioned it.

if anyone like go to volcano, i would go up there and give people a ride. i havent been up there in awhile

or if not anyone wanna go beach? richardsons? i'll sell someone my 3 prong spear for 10 bucks, its only 5 feet but i bought it at walmart for 17 something i think. you just gotta sharpen it

WOW that sounds great!
My roomate and I are dying to go to the beach or see an active volcano. We live at U. Palms. We will pay for the gas

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW that sounds great!
My roomate and I are dying to go to the beach or see an active volcano. We live at U. Palms. We will pay for the gas

lmk when you wanna go

i was thinking about going to richardsons on saturday but all my other friends went camping, and i forgot we have that potluck thingy

but i can go down to the volcano some time, probably at nightish or late afternoon is best but idk i havent been down there in awhile. i'll ask my parents about it

my email address is [email protected] if u wanna email me about going there

and if anyone elses wants to join in or whatevers

lmk when you wanna go

i was thinking about going to richardsons on saturday but all my other friends went camping, and i forgot we have that potluck thingy

but i can go down to the volcano some time, probably at nightish or late afternoon is best but idk i havent been down there in awhile. i'll ask my parents about it

my email address is [email protected] if u wanna email me about going there

and if anyone elses wants to join in or whatevers
My roommate and I are going to the beach this Friday by taxi. Can we go to the Volcano on Sunday instead? email me [email protected]

if anyone wants to join, some of us are gonna go check out the lava sunday afternoonish

i can probably take one more person in my car. so yeah come join us, its the last day before school officially starts

so yeah lava tomorrow

if anyone wants to go follow the map, except start from hilo
havo_map_lava_hwy130view_x500.jpg

Does anybody understand todays lecture on why uracil is potentially mutagenic in RNA? I am totally confused....

This is the first time I've had an asian instructor-it's difficult for me to understand the material because of her accent. :(

Someone else mentioned this to me as well after class-would be nice if we had an American born speaker.
:idea:

This is the first time I've had an asian instructor-it's difficult for me to understand the material because of her accent. :(

Someone else mentioned this to me as well after class-would be nice if we had an American born speaker.
:idea:

i think everyone should just learn how to deal with it. hawaii is a very diverse place and there are many people that are probably harder to understand then her.

i personally have no problem understanding her, but my moms side of the family is from singapore and everyone there kinda talks w/ that accent.

and there are way worse teachers in hawaii, just so you know. One of them i had was dr li. he was my calc 2 teacher and had a crazy chinese accent, also he talked really soft and there was no microphone in the class like we have. he was a nice guy and everything but no one in the class could hear or understand what he was saying. but everyone just learned to deal with it. also in high school there was an GT ENGLISH teacher that had a heavy chinese accent. I think she now also teaches AP english.

and just curious but by "American born speaker" do you mean haole?

Definition:
_________
n. Hawaii
A white person.

Ok, now I know what haole means. lol (Had no idea til now)

habeansha-you have obviously been around asian accents before, so I can see why you have no problem. I'm from the mainland, have only dealt with white english speaking instructors with an American accent.

When I was accepted here I had no idea there would be an "accent" at the pulpit. Lectures are very cruical, and I would appreciate it if we didn't have to listen to such a difficult accent.

I am not racist, just thinking how much easier it would be for myself to not have to "translate", if you know what I mean. As time goes on, I'm sure I'll get used to it.
*fingers crossed*

Definition:
_________
n. Hawaii
A white person.

Ok, now I know what haole means. lol (Had no idea til now)

habeansha-you have obviously been around asian accents before, so I can see why you have no problem. I'm from the mainland, have only dealt with white english speaking instructors with an American accent.

When I was accepted here I had no idea there would be an "accent" at the pulpit. Lectures are very cruical, and I would appreciate it if we didn't have to listen to such a difficult accent.

I am not racist, just thinking how much easier it would be for myself to not have to "translate", if you know what I mean. As time goes on, I'm sure I'll get used to it.
*fingers crossed*

wow, i see no reason for that ban if its for the topic we were talking about. Can a mod please tell me whats going on?

btw i totally always thought haole means white, but somehow thats not the right translation. its complicated

I think the previous two bans were a little strict as well, but the posters had so few posts and were discussing somewhat 'controversial issues'. So mods may have been a little quick to think they are trying to get a rise out of people or a troll.

The literal translation of "Ha'ole" means "no breath" and now its a derogatory term for a Caucasian. Natives that call you that are insulting you.

I am under the impression that a Haole is simply a native Hawaiian's term for a non-native Hawaiian visiting/living in Hawaii (often white tourists, though). I don't think it is necessarily a negative term- just a word they use. My Grandfather lived here for 4 years back in the 60's and told me with a smile that I would be a "Haole" when I came here :)

I think the previous two bans were a little strict as well, but the posters had so few posts and were discussing somewhat 'controversial issues'. So mods may have been a little quick to think they are trying to get a rise out of people or a troll.

SDN is a HUGE place, there are plenty of threads where posters are new and have only one or two posts! Just look around. There is nothing wrong with participating in any controversial issue as long as you stay within the guidelines of the TOS.

To actually ban someone over this is totally ridiculous. Their post is FAR from racist-my guess is a touchy professor that cannot handle "good critisism" hit the "abuse" button and the mod got excited.

Be fair, people. It's JUST a message board for pete's sakes. :eek: Hopefully you will get your answer, habeansha.

i messaged a mod and they said the two post werent the reason for the ban

SDN is a HUGE place, there are plenty of threads where posters are new and have only one or two posts! Just look around. There is nothing wrong with participating in any controversial issue as long as you stay within the guidelines of the TOS.

To actually ban someone over this is totally ridiculous. Their post is FAR from racist-my guess is a touchy professor that cannot handle "good critisism" hit the "abuse" button and the mod got excited.

Be fair, people. It's JUST a message board for pete's sakes. :eek: Hopefully you will get your answer, habeansha.

I've been told that "haole" originally meant foreigner but it's become a phrase for caucasian. It's not deragatory unless you take it to be so. I'm half haole and it doesn't mean a thing to me. People always used to ask if I was half asian, half haole.. and I am. So what.

Hawaii's population is incredibly diverse.. I love it. It's the only place I've ever lived where everyone can make fun of everyone and have a good laugh over it. Haole isn't a derogatory term, just as "white" isn't a deragatory term.

Anyways.. So jealous of you guys in Hawaii right now. I am totally missing the beaches!

Sorry, what I meant was that in its original form it is derogatory. It was what the natives called Cook when he landed way back when... As I said the literal translation is "No breath" but it meant "soulless". Now it usually isn't, but I've had occasions where that's exactly what it is... They're not fun.

I've been told that "haole" originally meant foreigner but it's become a phrase for caucasian. It's not deragatory unless you take it to be so. I'm half haole and it doesn't mean a thing to me. People always used to ask if I was half asian, half haole.. and I am. So what.

Hawaii's population is incredibly diverse.. I love it. It's the only place I've ever lived where everyone can make fun of everyone and have a good laugh over it. Haole isn't a derogatory term, just as "white" isn't a deragatory term.

Anyways.. So jealous of you guys in Hawaii right now. I am totally missing the beaches!

weird im the exact same thing, half chinese and half white.

to me haole is just the mainlander peoplez that come here and complain about fricken everything. Like the kind of people that write editorials to the newspaper and complain about stupid stuff. yeah but apparantly the haoles always know where all the parties are.

hi..is this thread still alive?

Yep. :cool: Kinda. lol

People are tooo busy with studying, etc. That's my guess. I also work night at the HYC.....every 2nd Thurs night is Lobster night which has made us xtra busy (as well with studies).

How's it all going with the rest of you? Ready for the exam on Mon??? :eek:

what's the HYC? I have yet to come across a restaurant in Hilo that serves lobster?? I am sooo not ready for this test....yet.

HYC=Hilo Yacht Club!!

You should drop by sometime. I work in the kitchen nights/weekends. :p
Right now my books are closed, will be logging off soon. I'm ALL studied out!
Good luck on the test tomorrow-I am ready finally. I wonder if the great Dr "tanned" one will be checking for crib notes. lol

ohh okay...i didn't even know where that was, I had to google it, haha. the lunch specials listed on their website look very yummy, i'll have to check it out sometime.

what did everyone think of the test today? i thought it was okay and straight-forward other than the fact that it was cold as h*ll in there.

Yep-I was freezing my _ _ _ _ _'s off. Hell, we pay a kings ransom for tuition and they hold back on the heat. Unless this cheapo joint makes some changes, my next year will be somewhere else. Dr Chang will be at the lecture helm soon again-she doesn't know the material, not that Tan is much of an improvement. Shoulda taken Jefferson when I had the chance! Hilo is a huge let down-boring as heck on this rock for activity.

But please-do check out HYC-you won't be disappointed. ;)

Hi, would you guys that got accepted for the fall 2008 sure your stats?

Yep-I was freezing my _ _ _ _ _'s off. Hell, we pay a kings ransom for tuition and they hold back on the heat. Unless this cheapo joint makes some changes, my next year will be somewhere else. Dr Chang will be at the lecture helm soon again-she doesn't know the material, not that Tan is much of an improvement. Shoulda taken Jefferson when I had the chance! Hilo is a huge let down-boring as heck on this rock for activity.

But please-do check out HYC-you won't be disappointed. ;)

When you guys mentioned the classroom being cold and freezing, are you referring to the weather or the air conditioning?

I'm assuming it's the weather and if it is, how cold has it been?

Is there a gym nearby housing facility?

When you guys mentioned the classroom being cold and freezing, are you referring to the weather or the air conditioning?

I'm assuming it's the weather and if it is, how cold has it been?

Is there a gym nearby housing facility?

It was the air conditioning in that particular classroom that day which was very cold.

The weather here is not cold at all, it varies during the week though. Like one day it will be cloudy and gray (and perhaps raining) and the next it could be bright and sunny. It usually only will get cold at night or in the early morning.

Yes there is a new student life center (gym) on campus as well as both on-campus and off-campus housing facilities. But I'd recommend living off-campus.

Couldn't sleep so thought I'd change my avatar (thanks Blue) and bump this thread up. :p

I just got accepted for this August and am trying to figure out on campus housing. Any info on the apartments Hale 'Ikena?

Dumpy place-smells bad too. :eek:

Try find a place off campus if u can. (preferably one without cockroaches)

Cortez,

I was just wondering what the dress code is at Hilo or if they have one. I know you probably have to "dress the part" for rotations, but what about when you're just attending class or lectures? A dress code never even occurred to me until I found out about one at another school I'm applying to. As I live in workout clothes and comfort wear, I know I'll have to spruce up my wardrobe for school.

Now that it is October I really hope I hear back from Hilo soon (I noticed last year that people started getting interview invites at this time last year). Until then I keep checking my email and spam folder and I'm pretty much driving myself crazy!:D

University Palms Review:
The University Palms is the absolute worst place you can live in all of Hilo, possibly all of Hawai’i! I have rented in a few spots, and these are the worst managers I have ever met, if you could call it meet. Cindy Madden appears to be nice (dont let that fool you), her husband is an absolute jerk off. His way of introducing himself to people is "Hi, I dont know you, I need your money" or” Hi, you need to pay me." Since I dont know his name I will refer to him from now on as Richard. Dick is the cheapest landlord I have ever had. The University Palms is so rundown, and things have not been replaced here in years. We have a refrigerator that is rusty, moldy smelling beds, carpets that are worn and brown, shower heads from the 1970's, broken coffee tables, old stoves, broken couches, broken furniture, couches with holes and tears, termite infested cabinets.... there are much more problems, but this is all I can see from where I am sitting.
That is only the start of the list of the terrible things that go on in the University Palms! The reason I cant name off more things is because the wireless internet is non existent. We are now a month into school, and the Maddens have not fixed anything. I only have internet directly inside my front door, and I am one of the lucky ones. Dont ever think you will get internet in your bedroom or at your desk. We have emailed and called numerous complaints, and have yet to receive one response in the past month. The best we've gotten is it will be fixed in two days; thirty days have passed so far without a resolution in sight. Even though internet is guaranteed in the contract, and Im sure every student needs it, this is way down of the University Palms priority list (the 1st thing on their list is stealing your money followed lying to you).
Next, every picture or floor plan you have seen on the internet is false. There are no single or double apartments. It is either four shared rooms, or eight. All the floor plans are double what you see. Each room for 2 people does have its own key, but many of these keys work in other doors, further proof of how shady this place is. When I first moved in, the resident manager brought a box of keys and just tried one after the other for 30 minutes. This should have been a sign for me to run.
Another sign for me to run should have been the state of the rooms when I first walked in. The fridge was rusty, the door locks loose, and everything was sticky. There is absolutely no chance this place was ever cleaned before I came here. The floor was a sticky mess, the kitchen had ants, and there was food on the floor. The bathroom is a whole other story; the shower was covered in black mold and dirt, the toilets had pubes in it, and there was left over soap from the previous tenant (probably because he left in such a hurry!). The shower head was so moldy water would not flow through it. Another girl has mold so bad it clogs the sink! And let me remind you, this is all before we moved in. What’s more atrocious is the rumor that they are not going to refund our security deposit so they can charge us a cleaning fee when we leave! At one point Dick walked into my room uninvited to tell me to stop cleaning because “this place just gets dirty, and that I was wasting my time.” More proof Dick Madden is a thief. This is the most unsanitary place I have moved into, and I plan on raising hell if they don’t refund me every penny of my security deposit.
That brings me to the kitchen. Besides the fact that there were ants and food lying everywhere, there was chewed up wood under the sink that I can only assume are some type of termite. My refrigerator has stopped working as of this morning, causing all my food to go bad, over $50 in losses. Asking around I have found out that numerous refrigerators cannot operate at the right temperature, and a few more that are completely broken like mine. The stove is a firebomb waiting to happen. One burner does not turn on at all; the other one lets out a flame three inches high, coming out five inches from the center of the stove. It’s only luck that I have not burned myself. My roommate and myself have both sent emails, along with two phone calls telling Dick the dangerous situation; it has been two weeks without a reply. I really hope this place goes up in flames! (I have since noticed that there are no batteries in the fire alarms, this must be illegal and dangerous considering the students that live here.)
The bedrooms are another ridiculous situation. The carpets have never been replaced, and have the smell to prove it. The beds feel disgusting, and the walls have mold, dirt, or a mystery yellow substance on every bedroom wall I have seen here. There are cockroaches in nearly every drawer I have opened. The only one that didn’t have a cockroach had a pair of woman’s panties. I honestly cant make this bull**** up, and I have the pictures to prove it. Many of the windows have handles that are broken or missing, and cannot be closed. Every other light fixture is missing a light bulb. The desks are filthy and wobbly.
This section needs a paragraph all its own, and it has to deal with the rat the girls have in their room. It has been 3 weeks since it was first spotted, and there have been no good measures to deal with it. I feel I am one of the lucky ones in that I only have rat **** on one of the beds in the apartment, not the actual rat.
The laundry room is another source of anguish. The first weeks that I was here, the washing machines were out of service. Online it states there are laundry rooms on both the first and third floors; never have I seen a laundry room on the first floor. There are three washing machines on the third floor, two of which are broken. We were told all three were fixed, only to find one break as soon as the first person put money in it, and that they lied about the second one being fixed at all. I shouldn’t need to say at this point that the room is filthy, and there are dirty puddles on the ground.
That first part of the University Palms Review has only to do with the initial conditions at move in, worse have been developing. After asking a few students, the payment plan gets more and more sketch. When you see the price online (which is way way too high for this shanty town), you would think that it is divided into equal payment each month. Half the students paid in full before move in, the other half had 3 payments due in August, Sept and October, in the amount of $781.25, and we do not pay in the months of November or December, Dick of course made us write all three checks on the spot, and had them dated for the correct months. Never had I heard of such a payment plan. One girl and her parents raised enough hell that she does a month to month plan.
This place is constantly noisy. The resident managers do nothing if your music is blasting during the middle of the day. The reaction by others is to simply turn their music up louder. Others are forced to study elsewhere on campus (which makes sense since there is no internet here anyways). On a Tuesday at 10pm, I can hear the music from 3 doors away echoing in my room, on weekends the music and bass is blasting 10 times louder.
Another MAJOR problem is the owners and managers enter our rooms without advanced notice. I have also seen them enter a room numerous times without even knocking. They simply take out their keys, open the door, and walk right in. I have no idea why they entered; neither do the tenants of these rooms; it is doubtful the student actually knows of their entry. No explanation or advanced notice was ever given, and no it was not an emergency. The owner, Dick, has also walked straight into my room, and started painting the walls; no notice, no knock; next thing I know I am breathing in paint fumes. This intrusion has become a major problem because there have recently been thefts of large amounts of money, behind previously locked doors.
The list goes on and on, from horrible living conditions to questionable business practices. Nowhere on their website is the address of University Palms given, nor is an address given on where to mail any deposits, payments, or complaints.