UH-Hilo Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ew to cockaroaches, i'm guessing its probably better to find a house.

i think cockroaches and mold are pretty much all over hawaii

where i live im always finding cockroaches in my room, best way to deal w/ it is to buy raid or use dish soap and puts lots of cockroach traps all around

for mold i think its best to get a dehumidifier, whenever i leave anything in my room for too long it always gets moldy

its just something u gotta learn to deal with

and not to scare anyone or anything but there are some friggen big centipedes

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, has anyone heard anything about University Palms? I heard the Lagoon has some pretty big cockroaches... and mold growing in the bathroom. I'm gonna freak if I see anything crawling around my room.

University Palms is not glamorous like you see on their website. Very filthy, bad management, and has undergraduates making noise. I almost lived their last semester and I'm so glad I didn't. Many of my pharmacy classmates live in the Lagoon, but it's really hot there because it's downhill from campus. As you go up the hills in Hilo, the temperature changes drastically. Cockroaches are everywhere though. You just have to vacuum them up or use bug spray.

Hi everyone. I posted on the other thread but no one replied so I thought I'd post here. I was curious as to how many students that got accepted to Hilo have or will have a B.S. degree?

I received a BS in neuroscience. Attending UH in the Fall. yippie!

Members don't see this ad :)
University Palms is not glamorous like you see on their website. Very filthy, bad management, and has undergraduates making noise. I almost lived their last semester and I'm so glad I didn't. Many of my pharmacy classmates live in the Lagoon, but it's really hot there because it's downhill from campus. As you go up the hills in Hilo, the temperature changes drastically. Cockroaches are everywhere though. You just have to vacuum them up or use bug spray.

Like... big roaches? I live on Oahu and there are roaches, but your mode of living greatly affects the amount.

So did anyone else receive an email from Ann Hayashi about a 6 bedroom house for rent to pharm students? Definitely sounds like a good alternative to University Palms...it has 6 bedrooms and 2 kitchens, 5 miles north of UH and is on an orchard i guess. Sounds pretty good!

Hi all,

Don't forget to join the UH pharm forum..

Also, so where is everyone living so far?
-University Palms..
-Lagoon...

etc?

is anyone in here cpr certified?

i just got the packet yesterday saying all the stuff we have to get for the IPPE at Hilo Medical Cener

i gotta get another 2 stage TB test cuz my previous one expired last month

also gotta get a drug test and criminal background check which i think is pretty stupid since i already volunteer at hilo medical center and didnt have to take a drug test, i did however have to be fingerprinted

is anyone in here cpr certified?

i just got the packet yesterday saying all the stuff we have to get for the IPPE at Hilo Medical Cener

i gotta get another 2 stage TB test cuz my previous one expired last month

also gotta get a drug test and criminal background check which i think is pretty stupid since i already volunteer at hilo medical center and didnt have to take a drug test, i did however have to be fingerprinted

Yes, I have my first aid and CPR for professional rescuer certs! Woo hoo...

Woo hoo whatever.
I'd be more worried about a vaccine against professional predators than having CPR for professional rescuer certs etc.

Somebody asked and I answered...I don't need your attitude.:thumbdown:

Anyone notice almost all the Tan posters are new..with the exception of cortez?

Somebody asked and I answered...I don't need your attitude.:thumbdown:

And cortez only has 11 posts, so he's not exactly an established user despite his sign-up date. I'd certainly need something more substantial than a few posts from someone registered at the same IP to make a claim like that believable.

Welcome UH CoP class of 2012!

University Palms is, indeed, noisy. I pass it daily. A Wednesday night there can sometimes turn into a rowdy Friday night. But besides the noise and the constant commotion it's pretty safe I would say; it's a gated "community". Quite a bit of pharmacy students lived there during the Fall '07 semester, however, everyone of them has moved out for the Spring '08 semester :laugh:. I haven't lived there but have visited several of their "units". The units I've been in had 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 small common areas with a couch and a TV, and a tiny kitchen. Interior design is symmetric. Some are 2 bedroom units I think.

UP does have its perks, though:
- It's literally right across the campus. A 5 min walk will take you right into the lecture room.
- This might partially solve the transportation problem for some.
- Once again, due to the short distance from campus you can always study in the UH library if it's too noisy. The library is pretty nice, comfy, and air-conditioned.
- If you can't find anything and getting desperate for housing UP can be your last resort.

Random info about Hilo:
As far as restaurants/fast food places go, there are many local Asian/Hawaiian joints. Like others have mentioned Cafe 100 (very short walk from WLV apartments), L & L, Ken's are some examples of good local places. For Mainland type fast food places, there's McDs, BK, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Jack-in-the-box, Ihop, Subway, Quiznos. There's more, of course. You can always cook yourself too :D

I lived here since last August and I managed without a car (including rotation visits). There's a neat taxi-discount service available here in Hilo, where you can buy taxi coupons from the University for 2 bucks a piece. One coupon per ride, so $4 will get you a round trip from multiple taxi companies. Not bad of a deal at all.

It will be hard finding a completely quiet place around the campus. We have these coqui frogs in Hilo which fill the night with their own unique noises :D

Last item for those interested in a housing solution:
My roommate and I will no longer be staying in our current house during our 2nd year. It's a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom house. $1200 per month with all utilities included. If you find a roommate to split rent it's a pretty good deal. If anyone is interested PM me and I will give you our realtor info. Oh, and it's only about a 10 min walk to the campus.

Hope this helps!

Welcome UH CoP class of 2012!

University Palms is, indeed, noisy. I pass it daily. A Wednesday night there can sometimes turn into a rowdy Friday night. But besides the noise and the constant commotion it's pretty safe I would say; it's a gated "community". Quite a bit of pharmacy students lived there during the Fall '07 semester, however, everyone of them has moved out for the Spring '08 semester :laugh:. I haven't lived there but have visited several of their "units". The units I've been in had 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 small common areas with a couch and a TV, and a tiny kitchen. Interior design is symmetric. Some are 2 bedroom units I think.

UP does have its perks, though:
- It's literally right across the campus. A 5 min walk will take you right into the lecture room.
- This might partially solve the transportation problem for some.
- Once again, due to the short distance from campus you can always study in the UH library if it's too noisy. The library is pretty nice, comfy, and air-conditioned.
- If you can't find anything and getting desperate for housing UP can be your last resort.

Random info about Hilo:
As far as restaurants/fast food places go, there are many local Asian/Hawaiian joints. Like others have mentioned Cafe 100 (very short walk from WLV apartments), L & L, Ken's are some examples of good local places. For Mainland type fast food places, there's McDs, BK, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Jack-in-the-box, Ihop, Subway, Quiznos. There's more, of course. You can always cook yourself too :D

I lived here since last August and I managed without a car (including rotation visits). There's a neat taxi-discount service available here in Hilo, where you can buy taxi coupons from the University for 2 bucks a piece. One coupon per ride, so $4 will get you a round trip from multiple taxi companies. Not bad of a deal at all.

It will be hard finding a completely quiet place around the campus. We have these coqui frogs in Hilo which fill the night with their own unique noises :D

Last item for those interested in a housing solution:
My roommate and I will no longer be staying in our current house during our 2nd year. It's a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom house. $1200 per month with all utilities included. If you find a roommate to split rent it's a pretty good deal. If anyone is interested PM me and I will give you our realtor info. Oh, and it's only about a 10 min walk to the campus.

Hope this helps!

LOL, more than once I have been on the phone with someone and have them ask if there is a bird in my ear just to have it be the coqui's.

On the restaurants, I like Don's..but it's a tad out of the way.

Cafe 100 is good too, the Loco Moco is good!

Members don't see this ad :)

Goodness gracious. :cool:
God forbid if anyone new joins this site. It's a no-no, folks. Incidentally, firi has only 2 posts. Time to get out the message board police I suppose?

Goodness gracious. :cool:
God forbid if anyone new joins this site. It's a no-no, folks. Incidentally, firi has only 2 posts. Time to get out the message board police I suppose?

:rolleyes: And I suppose public defamation of faculty should be allowable without any facts to support such claims?

Cripes-Farmer Cyst asked for the facts, so I provided them. Since he's a mod here, it's not surprising my facts were deleted.
Bottom line:
If you don't want the answer....then don't ask the question.

did everyone find a place to stay already?

has everyone gotten their immunization forms in?

I was recently taken off the waiting list and looking for some advice on housing, i see several options have been mention but it seems as though no one has committed to any place in particular. Also if someone is looking for a roommate by chance, I would be interested.

I was recently taken off the waiting list and looking for some advice on housing, i see several options have been mention but it seems as though no one has committed to any place in particular. Also if someone is looking for a roommate by chance, I would be interested.

Hey congrats.

Contact Ann Hayashi for housing info. She has been emailing everyone about housing, available apt, etc.

See ya in August =)

A word to people thinking of going to Hilo for school. It rains A LOT, but if you drive no more than 50 miles around the island it becomes a desert, so if you get bored you can make the (long?) drive from Hilo to the beaches on the other side of the island (It's about a 3 hr drive). My favorite and IMO, best, beach is Hapuna, it's the biggest beach on the island, it has good waves, and nice white sand.

About the Choqui frogs, bring ear plugs! They're the size of your thumbnail but they're loud enough to give you a headache from a quartermile away!

On this page on the right hand side there is a small clip of a Coqui in action: A cautionary tale to your ears. http://www.hawaiiancoqui.org/

A word to people thinking of going to Hilo for school. It rains A LOT, but if you drive no more than 50 miles around the island it becomes a desert, so if you get bored you can make the (long?) drive from Hilo to the beaches on the other side of the island (It's about a 3 hr drive). My favorite and IMO, best, beach is Hapuna, it's the biggest beach on the island, it has good waves, and nice white sand.

About the Choqui frogs, bring ear plugs! They're the size of your thumbnail but they're loud enough to give you a headache from a quartermile away!

On this page on the right hand side there is a small clip of a Coqui in action: A cautionary tale to your ears. http://www.hawaiiancoqui.org/

im pretty sure you can make it to hapuna in 2 hours (from hilo at least)

i dont know y people like hapuna so much. its always windy and crowded and the current sucks you out. and the stupid jelly fish sometimes

i think all the beaches by keaukaha is way better. richardsons is the best for like new people and touristy people. theres turtles, seals, fishys, eels, and last time i went there a bunch of dolphins swam by. i've lived here my whole life and i've never seen wild dolphins

I just got accepted :D. Anyone who need a roommate, please let me know. Thanks.

do you have to send in all your transcripts again? I don't think I can get them there before July 11th. What to do???

do you have to send in all your transcripts again? I don't think I can get them there before July 11th. What to do???
Email Ann Hayashi and fax them in, at least that's what I did and it worked out fine.

im pretty sure you can make it to hapuna in 2 hours (from hilo at least)

i dont know y people like hapuna so much. its always windy and crowded and the current sucks you out. and the stupid jelly fish sometimes

i think all the beaches by keaukaha is way better. richardsons is the best for like new people and touristy people. theres turtles, seals, fishys, eels, and last time i went there a bunch of dolphins swam by. i've lived here my whole life and i've never seen wild dolphins

I like honaunau but thats just me.

Does everyone have their immunization shots and CPR training done? Didn't realize I would need to have all of this done luckily I have been able to get everything scheduled - just a warning for everyone to plan ahead for this.

Does everyone have their immunization shots and CPR training done? Didn't realize I would need to have all of this done luckily I have been able to get everything scheduled - just a warning for everyone to plan ahead for this.

arent the immunization stuffs due already? the form said july 1st i think. i think they do make exceptions since my chicken pox titer didnt come out high enough so i have to be revaccinated and then get my titer again. and im calling to get cpr training today. its from the american red cross. if anyone else on the big island needs it the number is 935-8305. idk how much it cost or when it is but i will call and find out today

arent the immunization stuffs due already? the form said july 1st i think. i think they do make exceptions since my chicken pox titer didnt come out high enough so i have to be revaccinated and then get my titer again. and im calling to get cpr training today. its from the american red cross. if anyone else on the big island needs it the number is 935-8305. idk how much it cost or when it is but i will call and find out today
Yeah it does say July 1st, But they mailed it to me on the 3rd, and I didn;t receive it until yesterday - the 8th. So i'm guessing I just send it all in ASAP.

does anybody here have the housing email link that Ann sent out?
She won't be back until next week. I would like to take care of the housing stuff ASAP.

A word to people thinking of going to Hilo for school. It rains A LOT,

Word has it (in another University thread) there are other reasons to rethink Hilo for pharm school. All I can say is thank god I'm male! :cool:

As for the little noisy frogs as big as your thumbnail I think they're sweet. Can't believe people actually kill the little buggers. Don't like the noise-wear earplugs at night! :idea:

Does anybody know how to join the COP forum. I'm registered and but still can't get access into it.

is anybody here thinking about buying a laptop before class starts? Don;t know if we are gonna need one...

is anybody here thinking about buying a laptop before class starts? Don;t know if we are gonna need one...
I would think you would definitely need a computer of some sort rather it be a labtop or desktop. You will have to type up lab reports or other papers I'm sure. There will also most definitely be computers to use at libraries and such, but nothing really beats the convenience of having your own. I personally could not get by without mine.

dont buy one here cuz prices are riduculous. interested in an officemax giftcard? i got this one and will sell for $425
DSCF2020.jpg

I would think you would definitely need a computer of some sort rather it be a labtop or desktop. You will have to type up lab reports or other papers I'm sure. There will also most definitely be computers to use at libraries and such, but nothing really beats the convenience of having your own. I personally could not get by without mine.

I am thinking about buying one with a discount from Dell because we are UHH students we get a discount.

dont buy one here cuz prices are riduculous. interested in an officemax giftcard? i got this one and will sell for $425
DSCF2020.jpg

Wow thats alot. To bad you can't get cash for what you returned.
Im a costco shopper

Wow thats alot. To bad you can't get cash for what you returned.
Im a costco shopper

Hey what camera did you use to capture the photo. I have a canon sd 900 and my receipt photos comes out blurry

Hey what camera did you use to capture the photo. I have a canon sd 900 and my receipt photos comes out blurry

i think u quoted the wrong thing

but its a fujifilm finepix A360, i just checked and they are pretty cheap on ebay, but its only 4 megapixels, not like i really need more anywayz

but the way i usually take pictures like this is use the macro mode and then take maybe 5 shots hoping one will come out not blurry. i think pretty much any camera can take decent shots, just play around w/ the settings and take a bunch of pictures so you will have at least one good clear shot

I know I figured you would know what I meant. Thx for the tip I will try that. I just bought something from this website called alibaba.com and they have not delivered my product.. Now im fuming....=(

quote=habeansha;6919158]i think u quoted the wrong thing

but its a fujifilm finepix A360, i just checked and they are pretty cheap on ebay, but its only 4 megapixels, not like i really need more anywayz

but the way i usually take pictures like this is use the macro mode and then take maybe 5 shots hoping one will come out not blurry. i think pretty much any camera can take decent shots, just play around w/ the settings and take a bunch of pictures so you will have at least one good clear shot[/quote]

Last edited:
Hello! I have a brand-new pharmacy consultation coat (short pharmacy student lab coat) I'm not using. It is sized XS in women. The lab coat is needed for pharmaceutics lab and rotations (both are once a week in the morning). The College of Pharmacy won't be handing out coats until the White Coat Ceremony so you need to have one ready for the start of classes. Personally, the consultation coats at the bookstore are not great quality and the sizes are huge. (If you want to buy a regular long lab coat for lab, the bookstore has good quality coats which are cheaper than consultation coats.) Fortunately my mom got me this at a medical outfitters store for professionals. I'm asking $25 so please contact me if you're interested. I will have access to it when I'm back in Hilo for orientation.

Is anyone planning to stay in the new apts near tobhi hale?

whats up guys! I am a member of the class of 2012 now!! :) so excited. lol. Just wanted to say whats up. And I was also wondering if anyone is gonna live at those new apartments? I want to ... can't stand my place right now. Also i was wondering did anyone hear what the schedule is like for orientation week? Just wondering. If anyone wants to chat feel free to add me on msn .. [email protected] .... i am soo bored in Hilo right now!!! :)Aloha