UH-Hilo Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was told the new apts won't be ready on August 25th... or even have internet so i am staying at U. palms
whats up guys! I am a member of the class of 2012 now!! :) so excited. lol. Just wanted to say whats up. And I was also wondering if anyone is gonna live at those new apartments? I want to ... can't stand my place right now. Also i was wondering did anyone hear what the schedule is like for orientation week? Just wondering. If anyone wants to chat feel free to add me on msn .. [email protected] .... i am soo bored in Hilo right now!!! :)Aloha

Members don't see this ad.

I'm staying at the Palms as well, I don't remember the room # for sure but I think it was 101.

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone buy their textbooks yet? i got all of mine for about $300-400 on amazon

did anyone buy their textbooks yet? i got all of mine for about $300-400 on amazon
I was looking to order mine as soon as possible as well, is there a list of them online somewhere? I know at my previous school you could literally save $200-$300 on books by buying them online as opposed to the bookstore.

I was looking to order mine as soon as possible as well, is there a list of them online somewhere? I know at my previous school you could literally save $200-$300 on books by buying them online as opposed to the bookstore.

i think ann sent it to everyone

Courses and Required Texts for P1 Fall 2008

Course
Text
ISBN
Bichemistry I
Biochemistry
Jeremy Mark Berg, John L. Tymoczko, Lubert Stryer, 2006.
10: 0716787245
13: 9780716787242
Biochemistry II
Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry
P. C. Champe, R. A Harvey, D. R. Ferrier,
4th Ed., 2007.
10: 0781769604
13: 978-0781769600
Immunology
Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Immunology
Thao Doan, Roger Melvold, Susan Viselli, Carl Waltenbaugh.
10: 0781795435
13: 978-0781795432
Pharmaceutics I and II
1. Ansel’s Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems, Allen, Popovich, and Ansel, 8th Edition, 2005.

2. Applied Pharmaceutics in Contemporary Compounding
R. Shrewsbury, 2001 Edition.

3. Physicochemical Principles of Pharmacy
A. T. Florence and D. Attwood 2006
4th edition. London, UK: Pharmaceutical Press.
10: 0-7817-4612-4
13: 978-0-7817-4612-0

0-89582-560-0

13: 978-0-85369-608-7
Pharmaceutical Calculations
Pharmaceutical Calculations, 12th Edition
Howard C. Ansel and Mitchell J Stoklosa
Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore 2006.
0-7817-6265-0
Culture & Interprofessional Health Care
Health Care Teamwork Drinka JK and Clark PG, 1st Ed.
0-86569-298-X

i still dont really know what the 10 and 13 by some of the isbn #'s mean but if u search for it on amazon it goes to the exact same book

Just got done ordering all of them as well, came to $395.78 using amazon and half.com.

hello again guys. One question ... did you all get CPR certified yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
hello again guys. One question ... did you all get CPR certified yet?

american red cross get classes on wed and thurs, 7:30- 11:30, $43
pretty boring but i guess we gotta do it, and dont be late cuz the guy locks you out

phone number is 935-8305

Sorry, I forgot to post this sooner, but I have a copy of .Health Care Teamwork Drinka JK and Clark PG, 1st Ed. . .0-86569-298-X

I'm willing to sell it to anyone for $25. It is in nearly brand new condition. I will have access to it once I get back to Hilo for orientation. Please let me know if you are interested.

By the way, for the Biochem classes, an old undergrad Biochem textbook will be enough for studying. You don't have to buy the textbook on the list. Most of the material will be in the notes. Take care!

I was told the new apts won't be ready on August 25th... or even have internet so i am staying at U. palms

I highly recommend you wait out for the new apartments instead of U. Palms. It is a decision for an entire semester you are talking about. Yes, it won't be ready until August 15th and won't have Internet yet, but you can always go to the school library for that. It is just orientation week which isn't a hassle. U. Palms is dirty and can get really noisy with all the undergrads' music. You will encounter smoking in certain areas too. It is quite stuffy there so beware of mosquitoes (if you are sensitive to bug bites).

I highly recommend you wait out for the new apartments instead of U. Palms. It is a decision for an entire semester you are talking about. Yes, it won't be ready until August 15th and won't have Internet yet, but you can always go to the school library for that. It is just orientation week which isn't a hassle. U. Palms is dirty and can get really noisy with all the undergrads' music. You will encounter smoking in certain areas too. It is quite stuffy there so beware of mosquitoes (if you are sensitive to bug bites).

I know but im coming August 17th and need a guaranteed place to stay.
So i settle for U .Palms.

american red cross get classes on wed and thurs, 7:30- 11:30, $43
pretty boring but i guess we gotta do it, and dont be late cuz the guy locks you out

phone number is 935-8305
The school stated that the CPR class has to include infant, child, and adult. My local Red Cross offers this class lasting 8 hours and cost $65 while the CPR for adult only is 4 hours and cost only $45.

Last edited:
The school stated that the CPR class has to include infant, child, and adult. My local Red Cross offers this class lasting 8 hours and cost $65 while the CPR for adult only is 4 hours and cost only $45. I will double check with the school tomorrow and update you guys on this.

yeah i just checked and mine was for adult only. i gave a photocopy of my cpr card to ann and i havent heard anything about it since.

i dont really understand why we need to have cpr certification for working in the pharmacy. its in the basement of the hospital, i assume we will spend most of our time in there.

The school stated that the CPR class has to include infant, child, and adult. My local Red Cross offers this class lasting 8 hours and cost $65 while the CPR for adult only is 4 hours and cost only $45. I will double check with the school tomorrow and update you guys on this.

The hawaii red cross offers the adult, infant, and child cpr for $48, did mine earlier this month.

I also gave a photocopy of my CPR card to ann and havent heard anything about it since. Don't really expect too, for some reason.

Last edited:
Hey guys

I just got found out I got accepted to UHH yesterday :eek: (not kidding) so I have about 2 weeks to find a place and get everything squared away. Anybody looking for a room-mate or have tips/suggestions for making living arrangements?

Hey guys

I just got found out I got accepted to UHH yesterday :eek: (not kidding) so I have about 2 weeks to find a place and get everything squared away. Anybody looking for a room-mate or have tips/suggestions for making living arrangements?
I'd call University Palms right away - their website is universitypalmshawaii.com. Also be sure not to forget to have all of your vaccines, and CPR training done as its necessary for the medical center experience.

Hey guys

Congrats! FYI, mandatory orientation is on August 18, 2008. You should contact Ann for more information. See you this Fall!

I actually just arrived at the Waikea Lagoon Apts and they are really nice... I was a little nervous when I saw the outside but my apartment is super clean and I haven't seen any mold or bugs? As far as that goes... just keep your place clean and buy some raid.. i'm sure the people that get huge cockroaches all the time probably leave food out! If anyone is staying at WLA now let me know.. it's definately kind of boring here!

anyone find anything out about the cpr thing yet? like if you gotta get the child and baby one?

Thanks for the heads up. What are "the new" apartments that have been mentioned a couple times? Still looking for another pharm roomie if anyone is still looking!

anyone find anything out about the cpr thing yet? like if you gotta get the child and baby one?
I called the COP today, but Ann was not available. The other person in the office did not have an answer for me on this question.

Hi everyone,

I got pulled off the waitlist yesterday and wanted to say: Hello. All your postings were very useful so thanks!!

Not sure if it is required but the CPR training that was arranged for us last year included the child and infant.

I also choose to stay at University Palms for this semester because it's the closest place to campus. I just got to Hilo a couple days ago, and found out that the apartment is so horrible, dirty and noisy. It seems like students here party every night. Everything inside the apartment is old, dirty, smelly, some equiptments didn't even work properly. And yes, those small insects, mosquito, and roaches, HATE them!! I already knew that Uni Palms has a bad reputation but I didn't expect it's this bad until I'm actually here to check in. Well, the only good thing is that it's right across campus - convenient for students without a car like me. I'm also from CA, and I know it's very hard moving to a place so far away from home. Don't worry, you'll be able to survive Uni. Palms, just need to do some clean up!

I know but im coming August 17th and need a guaranteed place to stay.
So i settle for U .Palms.

hi,
I haven't recieved my packet yet and was wondering if anyone an tell me the list of vaccinations I need before school starts.
Thanks!

hi,
I haven't recieved my packet yet and was wondering if anyone an tell me the list of vaccinations I need before school starts.
Thanks!

these are the 2 forms ur gonna have to fill out, one of them is double sided but only ask basic questions (i hope i deleted all my personal information enough, i dont think my immunizations matter that much)
Picture.jpg

Picture024.jpg

btw supposedly you need positive titers for all those things, hospital doesnt require it but i guess we need it for the schools records

these are the 2 forms ur gonna have to fill out, one of them is double sided but only ask basic questions (i hope i deleted all my personal information enough, i dont think my immunizations matter that much)
Picture.jpg

Picture024.jpg

btw supposedly you need positive titers for all those things, hospital doesnt require it but i guess we need it for the schools records

Thank you sooo much! You guys are the greatest!!!!!

So what's everyone doing in Hilo? I'm running out of things to keep myself occupied :( Anyone going to the orientation thing on Sunday alone? I wouldn't mind a buddy to go with :oops:. email me [email protected] or whatever.

So what's everyone doing in Hilo? I'm running out of things to keep myself occupied :( Anyone going to the orientation thing on Sunday alone? I wouldn't mind a buddy to go with :oops:. email me [email protected] or whatever.
I would like to go but unfortunately my plane doesn't arrive in Hilo until 7 pm or so.

HELLO ALL I JUST ACCEPTED MY SPOT AT HILO..FOR THIS FALL..I DONT HAVE A PLACE TO STAY..IM FREAKING OUT..CAN SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THEY NEED A ROOMATE..I HAVE CALLED ALL OFF CAMPUS HOUSINGS AND THEY ARE ALL FULL..I NEED A PLACE ASAP..IF YOU CAN PLEASE EMAIL ME AT [email protected]

HELLO ALL I JUST ACCEPTED MY SPOT AT HILO..FOR THIS FALL..I DONT HAVE A PLACE TO STAY..IM FREAKING OUT..CAN SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THEY NEED A ROOMATE..I HAVE CALLED ALL OFF CAMPUS HOUSINGS AND THEY ARE ALL FULL..I NEED A PLACE ASAP..IF YOU CAN PLEASE EMAIL ME AT [email protected]

I sent you some stuff via email. Good luck:thumbup:

I also choose to stay at University Palms for this semester because it's the closest place to campus. I just got to Hilo a couple days ago, and found out that the apartment is so horrible, dirty and noisy. It seems like students here party every night. Everything inside the apartment is old, dirty, smelly, some equiptments didn't even work properly. And yes, those small insects, mosquito, and roaches, HATE them!! I already knew that Uni Palms has a bad reputation but I didn't expect it's this bad until I'm actually here to check in. Well, the only good thing is that it's right across campus - convenient for students without a car like me. I'm also from CA, and I know it's very hard moving to a place so far away from home. Don't worry, you'll be able to survive Uni. Palms, just need to do some clean up!

Oh man!!! I'll being flying in tomorrow from CA. I was hoping that the U palms would be somewhat clean! See ya!

i guess im probably gonna go to that thing on sunday. probably all the other stuff on the other days too. i hope its not too boring

and i was hoping this was my one week to sleep late but i hope all this stuff will be fun.

yeah and if anyone needs a ride, im totally willing to pick you up as long as its not insanely out of my way.

i guess im probably gonna go to that thing on sunday. probably all the other stuff on the other days too. i hope its not too boring

and i was hoping this was my one week to sleep late but i hope all this stuff will be fun.

yeah and if anyone needs a ride, im totally willing to pick you up as long as its not insanely out of my way.

I'll see you guys there if I can make it- my plane is suppose to land at 3pm but who knows right.

anyone know how many spots they filled from out of state people this year? I believe there are 33 of you that have left messages in this post.

Does anyone know about the white coats we wear at the Hilo Medical Center? As in are they provided for us by the school or Hospital, or do you plan on bringing one/buying one once there?

Does anyone know about the white coats we wear at the Hilo Medical Center? As in are they provided for us by the school or Hospital, or do you plan on bringing one/buying one once there?

Hi. Here is an old email from Ann. Take a look:

To: Ann Hayashi <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, June 5, 2008 12:14:49 PM
Subject: CoP labcoats

Hello all,

As most of you know, you will begin either your clinical or retail rotations immediately in the Fall. As our Whitecoat Ceremony does not take place at the start of school, you will need to purchase a labcoat from the bookstore to be used for a couple months. If you already have a short white (and clean) labcoat, you are welcome to use that. However, EVERYONE must email me with your labcoat size by this coming Monday, 6/9, so we can get our orders for both the bookstore and the ceremony started. If you have any questions, please feel free to email at any time.

Thanks,
Ann

I brought one just in case.

arent the lab coats only for the lab? they sell em in the bookstore for 25 bucks. they have normal lab coats and pharmacy consultation jackets (whatever that is). lab coats sell out fast, last semester for microbiology i didnt even get one because they never ordered any. and for some ******ed reason theres no other place in hilo that you can buy a lab coat

when i volunteered at Hilo Medical Center all i wore was long pants and a T shirt. the only person in the pharmacy that wears a lab coat is Nelson, the head pharmacist or whatever its called.

Hello everyone,
since I just got my acceptance I feel like I totally got screwed from finding a place to live and everything else in the matter of 3 days. I hope I will even get my white coat since I wasnt aware we had to order one! I am not CPR certified either. Is anyone else in my situation? Can anyone tell me if there is a class offering CPR close to campus that is not full (according to Ann). It really sucks if I cant do my rotations bc I had such litttttle time to prepare :scared:

Hello everyone,
since I just got my acceptance I feel like I totally got screwed from finding a place to live and everything else in the matter of 3 days. I hope I will even get my white coat since I wasnt aware we had to order one! I am not CPR certified either. Is anyone else in my situation? Can anyone tell me if there is a class offering CPR close to campus that is not full (according to Ann). It really sucks if I cant do my rotations bc I had such litttttle time to prepare :scared:

"american red cross get classes on wed and thurs, 7:30- 11:30, $43

phone number is 935-8305"

older post by me in case you missed it

also maybe pick up a copy of the sunday tribune herald. theres this guy that does CPR training, Lloyd Narimatsu, its usually somewhere in there. Someone said it was free but idk.

also for places to live. try the newspaper, or craigslist, or go to UHH and check the bulletin boards (i know theres always alot of housing stuff on the one in front of the library, the one going up the side of the library, and one right by the housing place, PB something I think, right next to PB-14 where Ann works)

and im not sure you even need CPR training to do your rotations, because when i went to HMC to check if they had everything and they only went over my immunizations. I was still missing my varicella titer and they said everything was good already. The titer stuff is only for the school. I think the titer is stupid and Kaiser does too since they won't give me a blood test. I'm probably gonna have to get one this week hopefully. Yeah so if you need a ride up to HMC I'm probably gonna go up there sometime this week. Yeah and if you need a ride anywhere i'm totally willing to help as long as its nothing really out of my way. can email me or if you have msn messenger add me: [email protected]

good luck getting everything done