UH-Hilo Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ANXIOUSnSCARED

Pharm Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to create a new thread for those starting in the fall! Also hoping to discuss housing and whatever else is on everyone's minds!

Congrats to those accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, just wanted to create a new thread for those starting in the fall! Also hoping to discuss housing and whatever else is on everyone's minds!

are you not going to Shenandoh?? I saw it on your acceptance list? Are you going to UH-hilo? I have to make up my mind too before next Monday.

thanks for creating this ANXIOUSnSCARED.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
are you not going to Shenandoh?? I saw it on your acceptance list? Are you going to UH-hilo? I have to make up my mind too before next Monday.

i am going to go to UH-Hilo, unless i get off the waitlist from UOP...haha

So did anybody recieve the packet with more information!?

Would living at on-campus housing wise for 1st years and non residents?

Gesh it's going to be expensive:eek:

some ppl say on campus housing isnt very good, so i'm looking for off campus housing...

It would prolly be best to get a house for 2-3 ppl...

I'm looking for one or 2 roommates to live with so if anyones looking we can exchange info and stuff

some ppl say on campus housing isnt very good, so i'm looking for off campus housing...

It would prolly be best to get a house for 2-3 ppl...

I'm looking for one or 2 roommates to live with so if anyones looking we can exchange info and stuff

That seems like a good idea. How much does the rent go in HI? Seems that it may be expensive and far. Then you'd have to get a car or something. I'm from L.A and I'm planning on selling my car. So while I go to school out there, I was hoping to walk/bike/bus.

i'm from L.A. too and im prolly gonna try and ship my car out there..haha
Waikaiea Lagoon or however you spell it is supposedly not bad according to some ppl...
If more ppl were interested in housing on this thread and more ppl talked on this thread then we can actually help each other and possibly find roommates too!!!!!:D

hi guys. i just sent in the deposit for UH yesterday. i, too, am looking into housing. i think our only option is off campus is on campus apps were due the 1st. definitely looking into lagoons or palms...and interested in finding apt mates. i am sure they'll place people with us but i rather meet you guys first and put in a request. i'm from LA too. look forward to reading ur posts...

Hey guys! i'm interested in possibly renting a home with a couple other pharmacy students. i'm going to visit hawaii end of may. its about the time to start looking for housing. contact me so we can talk more about it. :)

Will you be really going to UHH? Why pick the school that have not been fully accredited? I am also wait listed there at UHH.... I will only go there if I don't get accepted any where else... do you by any chance know how many seats are filled at UHH? hope it works out well for you.:thumbup:

hello everyone,

i am also going to uh hilo this fall and am a hawaii resident from oahu. just wanted to share something that my interview person told me - she said it was a GOOD idea to have your own car in hilo because some of the sites that you have to go to (for work) are far from campus and the bus system is very unreliable there. i am also looking into off-campus housing...anyone know of any apartment complexes close to campus?

I'm staying at University Palms for Fall 08 semester, then not sure after that. I was hoping to find roommates to share a house with after the 1st semester, ya know after meeting people and getting familiar with the area...it's hard looking for housing when you all the way in Michigan...lol :) If anyone needs a roommate for 2nd semester on I'm definitely interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm staying at University Palms for Fall 08 semester, then not sure after that. I was hoping to find roommates to share a house with after the 1st semester, ya know after meeting people and getting familiar with the area...it's hard looking for housing when you all the way in Michigan...lol :) If anyone needs a roommate for 2nd semester on I'm definitely interested.

Do you already have roomates for the U Palms? Or do you have a one bedroom. Would be interested for housing, I'm sure it will be cheaper than the U Palms. I'm scared I won't find a place.. :eek:

By the way, What's required to work as a pharm tech in HI?

By the way, What's required to work as a pharm tech in HI?

im pretty sure you dont need any certification or anything

yeah and i think it is a really good idea to have a car, the bus sucks but i think its free

Same here, except I'm on the waitlist at Creighton. I will probably live at Waiakea Lagoon if I go to UHH, but I'm still waiting on Creighton.

Do you already have roomates for the U Palms? Or do you have a one bedroom. Would be interested for housing, I'm sure it will be cheaper than the U Palms. I'm scared I won't find a place.. :eek:

It is a 2 bedroom appt. I'm assuming they pair you up w/ someone, I have no clue who I'm sharing it with but I already put a deposit down b/c I'm moving there in june to finish my pre-requisites at UH during the summer term. I wish I would have waited to put the deposit down but I was worried too about finding a place...also it is close to the university (looks that way on the map anyway) b/c I'm not going to have a car. But I am hoping to find something else after 1st semester.

i realize searching for housing in hilo can be a daunting task and although i'm not a student at uhh anymore, i was born here and did my undergrad at uhh. since i haven't lived on campus, i can't offer first-hand info on that. but, i have heard a lot of stories regarding several of the options out there. my advice, take it as you wish, would be to buddy up and get a rental house. i'm including a link to a property management company that handles a lot of rentals in hilo. hope it helps...

http://www.ginozarealty.com/

oh, and i agree with the recommendation of getting a car. our weather is very unreliable!

i realize searching for housing in hilo can be a daunting task and although i'm not a student at uhh anymore, i was born here and did my undergrad at uhh. since i haven't lived on campus, i can't offer first-hand info on that. but, i have heard a lot of stories regarding several of the options out there. my advice, take it as you wish, would be to buddy up and get a rental house. i'm including a link to a property management company that handles a lot of rentals in hilo. hope it helps...

http://www.ginozarealty.com/

oh, and i agree with the recommendation of getting a car. our weather is very unreliable!

thanks for the link!!! Will be helpful in finding places to live...another thing to worry about would be finding good roommates...

Hey Hilo people....

I'm not a part of your class, but I'll drop a few tips/words of wisdom from my end. I was interviewed and accepted, and I declined the offer, but not before visiting the school and area.

1) I heard to avoid University Palms, this from my taxi driver for the weekend. Reasons being: noise problems and lots of rowdy undergrads.

2) On campus housing is not very nice, your best bet is off campus (I left my list of recommended places on another computer).

3) Shipping your car will cost about $1000 if you ship it from Long Beach/San Diego to Hilo. Add in more if you need to get your car to this west coast port. Some residents recommend getting an "island beater" since whatever car you will be shipping will be exposed to the constant humidity/rain. It usually takes 3-4 weeks to arrive.

4) http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/ is a good source for information, just dig around for a few hours.

5) 7-11 by campus has good breakfasts. There aren't many food options around campus for some reason that I forgot...except maybe a Subway and some chinese food place.

6) If you want a cool taxi driver who is full of knowledge (and won't rip you off)...call Kirby at (808) 557-0879. Depending on his load that day, he can probably get to you within 15-20 minutes, so call once you land. He has his own one-man taxi company ("Hot Lava Taxi") with his minivan and is an all around nice guy.

Tell him his "two favorite mainlanders from San Diego who walked halfway across town because they got lost" sent you, see if he remembers us. Tip him well.

7) Order the "Loco Moco" from L&L. Trust me.

8) I personally think a car is necessary as Hilo isn't really a "walkable" town (like San Francisco or other dense urban area), someone else told me they bought a motorbike to scoot around town (sounds like fun). Others said, if you're social, you can probably bum a ride off of someone.

9) For those that still have a choice in schools...VISIT HILO FIRST. General comments for everyone: The city and campus are small/quaint and EVERYONE I met was very friendly. At the same time, the area didn't suit what I was looking for. I'm sure many of you will love it...and at the same time, I'm sure many of you will be going "wtf what did i do?!?!" when you land the first time.

If you're expecting another Honolulu (which, I'm sure most of you have been to for vacation), DON'T. You will just be disappointed. This is not to disparage Hilo in any way, this is just the way things are. Take Hilo for what it is and make the most of it, and don't compare it to any other place on the island. Some of you will enjoy those differences, some of you won't.

Anyway...just thought I'd inject some knowledge in here. Congrats to you all and I wish your class well!

I'll probably be looking for housing over there sometime soon too. Off-campus housing from what I hear is the best bet and I heard the same things about University Palms (loud & rowdy). I just want a decent, relatively quiet, and affordable place to stay at! :p And a kitchen too-- even though I can't really cook but I want to attempt. Haha.

Looks like a lot of you are coming from the west coast. I'll be island hopping from Oahu to Big Island.

As for the question about what is needed to work as a Pharmacy Technician.. Some hospitals require 1-2 years of experience and certification is a plus (but not necessary in order to be hired). Other places, nothing really.. just the will and desire to be in the pharmacy field!

well said confettiflyer....i think your post was both honest and accurate. most people who relocate to hilo have a high and unrealistic expectation of hilo. hilo is SO different than honolulu but the people who connect with it... stay...like you said, "take hilo for what it is...make the most of it..." there are some really special places on this island...take a break from your studies and go explore...

nah the best loco mocos i think is either
freddy's drive in (best deal, 2.86 for one single, fills u up)
kens house of pancakes (for the sumo loco)
or cafe 100 (for the variety of types of locos)

i kind of favor L&L for the orange chicken and the katsu and curry katsu

anyone know how far waiakea villas or waiakea lagoon view apts are from the campus? like are they within walking distance?

I'll probably be looking for housing over there sometime soon too. Off-campus housing from what I hear is the best bet and I heard the same things about University Palms (loud & rowdy). I just want a decent, relatively quiet, and affordable place to stay at! :p And a kitchen too-- even though I can't really cook but I want to attempt. Haha.

Looks like a lot of you are coming from the west coast. I'll be island hopping from Oahu to Big Island.

As for the question about what is needed to work as a Pharmacy Technician.. Some hospitals require 1-2 years of experience and certification is a plus (but not necessary in order to be hired). Other places, nothing really.. just the will and desire to be in the pharmacy field!

i'm looking for a place like that too! decent, nice, but most importantly in a QUIET area....if you find an apartment complex/building like that, will you please let me know??? and i will be sure to do the same. i think i am going up there in may (from oahu) to check out the housing options.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to work a little after feeling out the first semester at school.

ALSO

Did any of you get the financial aid papers yet? Holy gesh we're going to be in debt! Looks like I will be borrowing about 45k a year...

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to work a little after feeling out the first semester at school.

ALSO

Did any of you get the financial aid papers yet? Holy gesh we're going to be in debt! Looks like I will be borrowing about 45k a year...

No problem. :) I received my financial aid papers and everything went through just fine. You should be receiving it soon if you haven't already. And I hope everyone has submitted their FAFSA by now.

Just thinking about the large debt by the end of pharmacy school gives me anxiety! I'm trying not to think about it too much.. Lol.

i got my financial aid stuff yesterday so it should be coming real soon

i dont know if anyone saw but fall 08 class listings are up on the UHH website

i think the schedule is pretty much the same as the first class had

so basically we have class everyday 1-4, except friday which is 1-3

and i think we have one lab some morning which isnt listed, and the IPPE thing

i hate that one classroom though, W1 sucks

i dont know if anyone saw but fall 08 class listings are up on the UHH website

i think the schedule is pretty much the same as the first class had

so basically we have class everyday 1-4, except friday which is 1-3

and i think we have one lab some morning which isnt listed, and the IPPE thing

i hate that one classroom though, W1 sucks

Hi Habeansha,
Where did you find that info. I searched their web site. Are those times? 1-4?

Yay! Afternoon classes. Sweet.. :D Do we have to register for our pharmacy classes on MyUH?

I wonder if the teacher for all our classes is really the same or its just temporary for now

I thought the same thing as I was looking over the schedule... lol

i wonder if the room will change

i really really hate that room

its like one of the oldest classrooms and the chairs are falling apart

and that room sucks when you have tests and you are sitting in the middle of a row and you finish early you are kind of stuck

Gosh, it better change! :zip:

Anyone get the packet of info after sending in the deposit?

Hey Hilo people....

I'm not a part of your class, but I'll drop a few tips/words of wisdom from my end. I was interviewed and accepted, and I declined the offer, but not before visiting the school and area.

1) I heard to avoid University Palms, this from my taxi driver for the weekend. Reasons being: noise problems and lots of rowdy undergrads.

2) On campus housing is not very nice, your best bet is off campus (I left my list of recommended places on another computer).

3) Shipping your car will cost about $1000 if you ship it from Long Beach/San Diego to Hilo. Add in more if you need to get your car to this west coast port. Some residents recommend getting an "island beater" since whatever car you will be shipping will be exposed to the constant humidity/rain. It usually takes 3-4 weeks to arrive.

4) http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/ is a good source for information, just dig around for a few hours.

5) 7-11 by campus has good breakfasts. There aren't many food options around campus for some reason that I forgot...except maybe a Subway and some chinese food place.

6) If you want a cool taxi driver who is full of knowledge (and won't rip you off)...call Kirby at (808) 557-0879. Depending on his load that day, he can probably get to you within 15-20 minutes, so call once you land. He has his own one-man taxi company ("Hot Lava Taxi") with his minivan and is an all around nice guy.

Tell him his "two favorite mainlanders from San Diego who walked halfway across town because they got lost" sent you, see if he remembers us. Tip him well.

8) I personally think a car is necessary as Hilo isn't really a "walkable" town (like San Francisco or other dense urban area), someone else told me they bought a motorbike to scoot around town (sounds like fun). Others said, if you're social, you can probably bum a ride off of someone.

9) For those that still have a choice in schools...VISIT HILO FIRST. General comments for everyone: The city and campus are small/quaint and EVERYONE I met was very friendly. At the same time, the area didn't suit what I was looking for. I'm sure many of you will love it...and at the same time, I'm sure many of you will be going "wtf what did i do?!?!" when you land the first time.

If you're expecting another Honolulu (which, I'm sure most of you have been to for vacation), DON'T. You will just be disappointed. This is not to disparage Hilo in any way, this is just the way things are. Take Hilo for what it is and make the most of it, and don't compare it to any other place on the island. Some of you will enjoy those differences, some of you won't.

Anyway...just thought I'd inject some knowledge in here. Congrats to you all and I wish your class well!

Good observations.

Yes, you and your books will drench in the rain without a car. The map of Hilo may look small but I wouldn't try walking/riding a bike to school everyday. Did that for the first week of school and found the hills to be more than I could manage. Also because students have labs and IPPE on different days, you might not want to risk not having your own ride. What some people did was buy used cars here or on Oahu (honolulu) and ship it over.

There are lots of apartments here...ofcourse some of it seems a bit shady. There are also lots of houses for rent here as well and that may end up costing a lot less than apartments. Look in the classified section of local newspapers or on craigslist.

Just enjoy the rest of your vacation and stop fretting out so much.

Fretting out? lol Don't think so, krsnyf.
I happen to agree with everything confetti had to say.

Good post.:thumbup:

idk if anyone is interested in this or if i am supposed to share this but i am in the pre-pharmacy orientation class and they record all the speakers that we have so you guys can watch it if you want and get familiar with some of the teachers

http://weblog.uhh.hawaii.edu/weblog/is198/

username is is198student
password is student

Ok, where did my post go?
The censorship gremlins must be out and about. :scared:

Hi everyone. I posted on the other thread but no one replied so I thought I'd post here. I was curious as to how many students that got accepted to Hilo have or will have a B.S. degree?

Hi everyone. I posted on the other thread but no one replied so I thought I'd post here. I was curious as to how many students that got accepted to Hilo have or will have a B.S. degree?

i dont have one and im pretty sure theres quite a few current UHH students that dont have a BS degree

Really? that's cool, didn't know, thought most would have one. Thanks for replying :)

Hello, has anyone heard anything about University Palms? I heard the Lagoon has some pretty big cockroaches... and mold growing in the bathroom. I'm gonna freak if I see anything crawling around my room.

ew to cockaroaches, i'm guessing its probably better to find a house.