UCLA versus UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sfeldste111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was hoping I might get a little help for my decision. I just found out today I was accepted to UCLA, which means I have to decide between UCSD and UCLA. I was wondering if anyone might have some insight into this decision. Here is how I see it:

UCSD: pros: close to home (I'm a native), well-respected, where my boyfriend lives
cons: close to home, where my boyfriend lives (could be distracting/stressful), new curriculum in first year, not thrilled with Second Look day

UCLA: pros: generally more well-respected (well, at least higher ranked), students seemed a litter happier, reverse of the cons of UCSD
cons: farther from home?, had to wait 7 months after interview for a decision, LA traffic!

Does anyone have more insight than this? The decision is really tough. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I was hoping I might get a little help for my decision. I just found out today I was accepted to UCLA, which means I have to decide between UCSD and UCLA. I was wondering if anyone might have some insight into this decision. Here is how I see it:

UCSD: pros: close to home (I'm a native), well-respected, where my boyfriend lives
cons: close to home, where my boyfriend lives (could be distracting/stressful), new curriculum in first year, not thrilled with Second Look day

UCLA: pros: generally more well-respected (well, at least higher ranked), students seemed a litter happier, reverse of the cons of UCSD
cons: farther from home?, had to wait 7 months after interview for a decision, LA traffic!

Does anyone have more insight than this? The decision is really tough. Thank you so much!
If I were you I would pick UCSD to save the money on renting an apt (and westwood apt are expensive).

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSD. if it is anything serious with your bf, i'd stay close to him. nothing more stressful than driving back and forth to see each other and losing time on studying in wonderful LA traffic...which brings me to the point that LA traffic does suck. I also personally love La Jolla, so....that would sell it for me.

as far as reputation goes, they're isn't a drastic difference. go where life will be easiest and most convenient.

id go to UCLA over UCSD based on what ive heard about both schools...

If you're serious about your bf (you see yourself marrying him) I'd choose UCSD. I don't know too much about either school but I don't think anyone would look down on you for going to UCSD. We aren't comparing UCLA vs. lower tier school here.

Although you think it might be stressful to have your family and boyfriend so close consider the opposite. Having to plan out large blocks of time and whole weekends to go visit rather than being able to study all day and then grab dinner with them or something. Not to mention that when you're at a breaking point (which is likely since medical school is a test of your ability to handle mental breakdowns ahha) it'll be really nice to get to see your bf and family and have that support system instead of just a phone call.

I'm in a long distance relationship and I'd say it's much more stressful than when he was around all the time. I'd avoid that if I were you unless UCLA is everything you've ever wanted and you're 100% sure the UCSD can't get you where you want to be in life.

If you're serious about your bf (you see yourself marrying him) I'd choose UCSD. I don't know too much about either school but I don't think anyone would look down on you for going to UCSD. We aren't comparing UCLA vs. lower tier school here.

Although you think it might be stressful to have your family and boyfriend so close consider the opposite. Having to plan out large blocks of time and whole weekends to go visit rather than being able to study all day and then grab dinner with them or something. Not to mention that when you're at a breaking point (which is likely since medical school is a test of your ability to handle mental breakdowns ahha) it'll be really nice to get to see your bf and family and have that support system instead of just a phone call.

I'm in a long distance relationship and I'd say it's much more stressful than when he was around all the time. I'd avoid that if I were you unless UCLA is everything you've ever wanted and you're 100% sure the UCSD can't get you where you want to be in life.
this. Long distance sucks and even if it works its more stressful. Driving from LA to SD is a long drive and doing that every weekend or something would be tough. If this relationship is something you want to keep and see going the distance, go to UCSD end of story. If this isnt something that might lead to marriage then forget it and choose whichever school you like most. Both schools are great and will offer you all the research/opportunities you could want to be successful. Really if i had the choice (which i dont sadly) id probably go to UCSD just for the location. I love UCLA dont get me wrong but LA traffic and such makes me crazy. La jolla > LA. The only major differences between these 2 schools taht comes to mind is that ucsd i think is undergoing some major changes to their cirriculum. You might want to look into that before you decide. I think they are going to a p/f for the 1st 2 years while ucla is p/f for all 4 years.

I think they are going to a p/f for the 1st 2 years while ucla is p/f for all 4 years.

UCLA still has some sort of "letters of distinction" for clinical rotations which I understand are equivalent to Honors. Because clinical rotation performance (relative to peers) is so important to residency directors, almost all "p/f" systems find a way to recognize superior performance during MS3 and MS4.

UCLA still has some sort of "letters of distinction" for clinical rotations which I understand are equivalent to Honors. Because clinical rotation performance (relative to peers) is so important to residency directors, almost all "p/f" systems find a way to recognize superior performance during MS3 and MS4.
yes but after talking to some students it seems few get this ? But they do have these for each rotation. I remember a student there telling me they have other ways like wording in the letters or something to help distinguish a bit more. regardless i was just saying the way everything is set up between the 2 differs and that may be able to help the op decide?

i agree with everyone else. being further from ur bf will be ALOT more stressfull. ive been there. if you see him as marriage potential, i suggest ucsd. btw....congrats on both acceptances. i am verrrry jealous :thumbup:

Why weren't you so thrilled about second look at UCSD?

UCSD. if it is anything serious with your bf, i'd stay close to him. nothing more stressful than driving back and forth to see each other and losing time on studying in wonderful LA traffic...which brings me to the point that LA traffic does suck. I also personally love La Jolla, so....that would sell it for me.

as far as reputation goes, they're isn't a drastic difference. go where life will be easiest and most convenient.

Turkel wants your spot at UCLA... Go to UCLA all the way... Drop the boy. :)

Turkel wants your spot at UCLA... Go to UCLA all the way... Drop the boy. :)

lol. i would LOVE the spot. but if you look carefully at my mdapps, i really wanted to go to UCSD. it was my dream going into this process and it will unfortunately remain that way :( . it was my first choice going into this process. my opinion i gave is completely unbiased. i dont have a significant other living at a school so that wouldn't affect my decision, but i've have a gf and a long distance relationship with a 2 hour commute was extremely stressful.

haha... that was totally in fun! Trying to mess with you... so you ARE going to UCSD??? Still confused?

haha... that was totally in fun! Trying to mess with you... so you ARE going to UCSD??? Still confused?

sorry for the confusion. NO. i'm not. at the beginning of the app process, it was my top choice. i've spent about 14 summers in san diego/la jolla and want to live there.

i decided not to go to the undergrad there b/c i got a full in-state scholarship to stay in arizona. OOS, i knew my chances for getting into the medical school there would be difficult. i got approved for a secondary. then got put on hold for an interview. after calling up director of admissions there, he took me off hold and put me back in the pool for an interview, after which i was unfortunately ultimately rejected.

with that being said, UCLA is my current top choice, but if i had both available to me, i'd go to UCSD in a heart beat.

La Jolla/San Diego > Los Angeles, school prestige similar enough, both p/f....its location that i love. it's just a personal thing i guess.

Are you in a very serious relationship with your boyfriend? If not, I don't think you should let that influence your decision too much, plus San Diego is close enough to LA that you two can visit often. You will spend a lot of time during medical school studying anyway. Go with your instinct on which school you think you will be happier at and will fit in well.

The ranking difference between UCLA/UCSD isn't too great and really does not matter. If you like academic medicine, go to UCSD, but of course there is the new curriculum change, but I'd take UCLA in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.