UCLA v. UCI v. LLUSM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halethsonofhama

Big Easy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have acceptances to 3 great schools; UCLA, UCI and LLUSM.

Because they are all good I'm having difficulty deciding which one to choose.

I have eliminated LLU mainly due to financial reasons (but I may be doing HPSP through the military so it isn't completely out of the running). It does look like a great school with supportive faculty and new facilities. Students all seemed happy. While I am christian, i'm not sure if I want to put up with the chapel and lifestyle requirements.

UCLA is said to be a great school, but on my interview day it just looked worn out and tired (like a great football player past his prime talking about the glory days). That and the surrounding area kinda sucks. The students didn't seem happy on interview day either.

UCI may not be ranked as high as UCLA, but it looks like it has better facilities and more support from fellow students. It also has a pretty big focus for Emergency Medicine which is my main interest. The students here seemed to really enjoy the school too.

As I stand now, I'd have to go with UCI... but I was hoping you guys might be able to provide arguments for or against any of these schools so I can make an informed decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have acceptances to 3 great schools; UCLA, UCI and LLUSM.

Because they are all good I'm having difficulty deciding which one to choose.

I have eliminated LLU mainly due to financial reasons (but I may be doing HPSP through the military so it isn't completely out of the running). It does look like a great school with supportive faculty and new facilities. Students all seemed happy. While I am christian, i'm not sure if I want to put up with the chapel and lifestyle requirements.

UCLA is said to be a great school, but on my interview day it just looked worn out and tired (like a great football player past his prime talking about the glory days). That and the surrounding area kinda sucks. The students didn't seem happy on interview day either.

UCI may not be ranked as high as UCLA, but it looks like it has better facilities and more support from fellow students. It also has a pretty big focus for Emergency Medicine which is my main interest. The students here seemed to really enjoy the school too.

As I stand now, I'd have to go with UCI... but I was hoping you guys might be able to provide arguments for or against any of these schools so I can make an informed decision.

clinical facilities/resources >>>>>>> pre-clinical facilities, and that is where UCLA is much much stronger then either of the other schools. Outside of a few other schools, UCLA has pretty unmatched clinical volume/diversity.

clinical facilities/resources >>>>>>> pre-clinical facilities, and that is where UCLA is much much stronger then either of the other schools. Outside of a few other schools, UCLA has pretty unmatched clinical volume/diversity.

There is that dichotomy at UCLA, though. Interviewing at UCLA right after Hopkins was like a slap in the face for pre-clinical pizzazz. Reagan is a game-changer though.

this. how pretty the buildings were or how happy the students seemed on your particular interview day are the last things you should be thinking about.

and i know nothing about UCI, but i'm with Pons: what's wrong with Westwood?

this. how pretty the buildings were or how happy the students seemed on your particular interview day are the last things you should be thinking about.

and i know nothing about UCI, but i'm with Pons: what's wrong with Westwood?

I'm a ucla undergrad and I just can't stand westwood. I'm not much of a nightlife person so all of the benefits of UCLA don't really apply to me, but I'm still stuck with all the downsides (traffic, piss smell everywhere, no parking). That and UCI is closer to my 'home-town' and better for my hobbies (hiking/surfing).

I would have to disagree with the student happiness factor. Its 4 years of my life, I should hope that I can goto a school I will be happy at.

So you guys are saying that UCLA beats UCI in the clinical years? more exposure and volume? To me, it seemed like their affiliated hospitals seems about matched.

So you guys are saying that UCLA beats UCI in the clinical years? more exposure and volume? To me, it seemed like their affiliated hospitals seems about matched.

Lol. Wait. Wut?

Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center rated one of top hospitals in the U.S.

Ranked 'Best in West' for 21st consecutive year in annual survey

Date: July 15, 2010

Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center ranks as one of the top five American hospitals - and the best hospital in the western United States for the 21st consecutive year - according to a U.S. News & World Report survey that reviewed patient-outcomes data, reputation among physicians and other care-related factors.

ALSO why does everyone assume I'm a girl!?! my username is haleth SON OF hama! sure its a dorky LOTR reference but it has the phrase "Son of" nonetheless.

Maybe people view my thought processes as irrational... and I can see how that would lead them to me being a girl.

but yeah.... i'm a dude

ALSO why does everyone assume I'm a girl!?! my username is haleth SON OF hama! sure its a dorky LOTR reference but it has the phrase "Son of" nonetheless.

Maybe people view my thought processes as irrational... and I can see how that would lead them to me being a girl.

but yeah.... i'm a dude

Seen you referred to as female before. My bad, sweetie.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a ucla undergrad and I just can't stand westwood. I'm not much of a nightlife person so all of the benefits of UCLA don't really apply to me, but I'm still stuck with all the downsides (traffic, piss smell everywhere, no parking). That and UCI is closer to my 'home-town' and better for my hobbies (hiking/surfing).

I would have to disagree with the student happiness factor. Its 4 years of my life, I should hope that I can goto a school I will be happy at.

oh no no, don't misunderstand me. your happiness is a huge factor. what's a mistake is to extrapolate your happiness at a place based on the attitude you got from whoever you happened to meet on your interview day.

The hospitals are not evenly matched. Reagan is a quarternary care facility in every sense of the word, and UCLA has an excellent rep for medical student clinical training.

OTOH, I can totally understand where you're coming from if you're sick of UCLA already. people are going to tell you that you're crazy, though.

I think that it is nearly absurd (no offense) to say that the clinical facilities and opportunities at UCLA and UCI are equal. IMO, I should add.

I haven't given clinical rotations any thought but that is mainly because I don't know how to judge them. If I were to goto UCLA's and UCI's second look days, what questions should I ask to get a better understanding of their respective experiences?

Also what bearing does clinical years have in regards in the grand scheme of things. Will having supurb rotations at UCLA open up doors that will be closed if I went to UCI (in particular for residency matching?)

Also thanks CougarMD for moving to the correct forum page, I wasn't sure which one to post in.

Seriously? too bad UCLA did MMI, if you let something like that slip during a traditional interview I'm sure they would have loved it...

but yeah.... i'm a dude

EM is becoming a more competitive specialty. I also think you'd be silly to think that Irvine would get the same diversity of patients that you'd get in the ER at UCLA (Irvine vs. LA is much different). You're also comparing a Top 15 school to a school that doesn't even break the Top 40. There will be more opportunities for you at UCLA in an overall sense (clinical, basic science, etc. research) that will be slightly better than those at UCI.

That being said, happiness in medical school is a huge issue. You're here to advance your career, but also to be in the environment where you think you'll be personally successful. I.e. where do you think you'll be trained to be a better physician? Where will you be happiest in your life outside of medical school?

Going to a top ranked school has it's benefits, but in the long run you'll be a doctor at either UCI or UCLA. I'd attend second looks at both places and if you don't like the vibe at UCLA for some reason, consider UCI. I'd pretty much rule out LLUSM because UCI seems a better option from both a prestige and a personal standpoint.

Seen you referred to as female before. My bad, sweetie.

Lol, well, I can give you a pretty clear reason to avoid la and that is d bags like pons. He's going to ucla. Keep an eye out for him, he'll have a beard. Woo hoo, Ucla represent.

Lol, well, I can give you a pretty clear reason to avoid la and that is d bags like pons. He's going to ucla. Keep an eye out for him, he'll have a beard. Woo hoo, Ucla represent.

He does have that quality... but I think thats what make him and I connected.

I did my intern year at Irvine. I didn't think the medical students were particularly well-educated on the whole, although (as is the case everywhere) a handful of the most motivated students were very strong and landed well-deserved residencies at top programs.

Clinically, some of the departments seem very weak. I'm also not sure what these "better facilities" entail.

I didn't get the impression that there's anything there worth coming here for instead of UCLA.

I lol'd.

EDIT:

U still mad about this?

You needed to create a unique, new user profile to ask that question?

I double-lol'd.

I haven't given clinical rotations any thought but that is mainly because I don't know how to judge them. If I were to goto UCLA's and UCI's second look days, what questions should I ask to get a better understanding of their respective experiences?

Also what bearing does clinical years have in regards in the grand scheme of things. Will having supurb rotations at UCLA open up doors that will be closed if I went to UCI (in particular for residency matching?)

I think one of the questions that I would try to get resolution on at UCI specifically is how does it work for the students having didactic work at one location (UCI Main Campus) and clinical work at another (UCI Medical Center is the main clinical site). They are not close together. If the schedule is such that you need to go back and forth during the day, I can see that getting tedious, knowing Irvine/OC traffic.

I think one of the questions that I would try to get resolution on at UCI specifically is how does it work for the students having didactic work at one location (UCI Main Campus) and clinical work at another (UCI Medical Center is the main clinical site). They are not close together. If the schedule is such that you need to go back and forth during the day, I can see that getting tedious, knowing Irvine/OC traffic.

That traffic can get pretty insane, but not as bad as UCLA

It's obvious UCLA is better than UCI. I don't see how this is even a tough choice....

If you are willing to defend UCI this much, against every anti-response here, then it can only mean you must love it more ;)

I'm strongly considering Irvine over another UC top-fifteen school. Definitely waiting until Irvine's second look before making the final decision.

I am going to UCSD over UCLA for similar reasons to yours. First, I despise the UCLA area, 'nuff said. Second, the students at UCLA seemed super arrogant and stuffy. Three, their facilities did indeed seem run-down compared to UCSD's brand new medical teaching building. Last, I love surfing and rock climbing, both of which are essential to my mental health while in school. UCLA would neither allow me to surf everyday nor climb on the weekends. All the UC med schools are top notch and will allow you to do whatever you wish in medicine if you put the work in. Environment is everything...

I am going to UCSD over UCLA for similar reasons to yours. First, I despise the UCLA area, 'nuff said. Second, the students at UCLA seemed super arrogant and stuffy. Three, their facilities did indeed seem run-down compared to UCSD's brand new medical teaching building. Last, I love surfing and rock climbing, both of which are essential to my mental health while in school. UCLA would neither allow me to surf everyday nor climb on the weekends. All the UC med schools are top notch and will allow you to do whatever you wish in medicine if you put the work in. Environment is everything...

Friend - next time you find yourself in this neck of the woods, give me shout and I'll show you fine climbing of whatever flavor you could desire. Boulder, trad, multi-pitch. You call it, and I'll change your mind about LA :) Don't surf, so I can't help you there.

Pons, thanks a lot dude. I am sure there is good climbing in LA because SoCal has some of the most awesome and accessible climbing anywhere in the US! I went to UCSD for undergrad so I just happen to already be familiar with the trad climbing out in the desert of SD county. The surf in La Jolla vs. Westwood, now that is a different story!:laugh:

1) they aren't that far apart

2) The schedule is not such that you have to go back and forth. If you are at the med center during the first two years its b/c you chose to be there on your free time, with the exception of a few scheduled days during the first two years.

3) most upperclassmen move to be somewhere in between long beach and orange

Also thanks CougarMD for moving to the correct forum page, I wasn't sure which one to post in.

from what I hear from the upperclassmen, the clinical years at UCI are pretty good. You work hard, are treated well, and you learn a lot. With few exceptions I was never overly impressed with preclinical professors at UCI (i dont think this is unique to my school). However, I HAVE been impressed with the quality of teaching I have experienced when interacting with the clinical faculty. Really, superb. They are the kinds of people who go in to academic medicine because THEY LOVE to teach. They are completely dedicated to their patients and to their students. It really is a pleasure working with them and every time I go in to work/shadow I am always pleased with how much I learned and what I was able to do. Now, I'm sure this isn't going to be the case with every physicain I encounter during the 3rd year, but overall I think these types of physicians are in the majority. I also would say taht I think the 3rd year is definitely important in terms of quality of teaching, compared to the first two years. It really doesnt matter that much if a professor is poor in the first two years b/c chances are you won't be at class anyways. Everything you learn first two years can be learned from a book. What you can't learn on your own is how to actually practice medicine, and for that reason i'm grateful that i've heard such positive ffeedback from upperclassmen about the learning experiences during 3rd year.

Hopefully at 2nd look day there are some 3rd or 4th years there that can answer more of your questions about the clinical years. All of my friends who are upperclassmen have loved their rotations during 3rd year. They all have been encouraging us to stay focused and work hard b/c the 3rd year is so much better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.