UCLA Class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Elastase said:
Whats up everyone! It's been awesome hanging with you guys/girls at the UCLA recruitment weekend and on this thread! Unfortunately after a crap load of thinking/deliberatin' I have decided to go to Stanford (which barely won over LA). I will definitely still hang out on this thread (and I hope thats aight) because there aren't too many kids from Stanford on SDN.

I'm just really really glad to have made a decision, and now I know where I'm going! Hit me up if any of you are up in PA. :)
We'll miss ya dude!

Members don't see this ad.

prana_md said:
Hi! I was a very late interview at Drew, and I just got my phone call from them on Thursday. I took the weekend to decide and faxed them my Intent to Register last night. So ... I'm in!

I'm a non-trad originally from Santa Barbara, but I'm currently living and working in Oakland. I have an s.o. who's an ER doc, and two adorable rats who are smart enough to be MDs, but lack the opposable thumbs.

I can't wait to surf again.

Hey Prana, how late was your interview?

I had an interview for LA on 4/26, I am just trying to figure out when I am going to hear back.

DrBorisCA said:
Memories... From the corner of my miiiind... Haha, I saw this and I flashed back to Recruitment Day at Gotham, haha....

This one's for you White Russian (and Blunt and Elastase and Rebs and Rosemary and Freewater, hehe)...

http://www.nbc4.tv/slideshow/news/9179749/detail.html?qs=;s=1;w=360
Mmmmm I do enjoy the Long Islands...
147125658_769e769f9f_m.jpg

...but I can never say no to this dark little temptress! :smuggrin:

31465756_26da0b1517_m.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
bigdreamer said:
Hey Prana, how late was your interview?

I had an interview for LA on 4/26, I am just trying to figure out when I am going to hear back.

I interviewed at Drew on 4/25, but my hearing back so soon is nothing short of a miracle. If you head on over to the Drew thread on Pre-Allo, there are people who interviewed in February (my co-worker, Flopotomist, included) who haven't heard anything.

UCLA proper may be a different story. Given that it's May 15th, I think the admissions office should at least give you an estimate of when you'll hear back. But what should happen and what happens in admissions-land are often very different!

prana_md said:
I interviewed at Drew on 4/25, but my hearing back so soon is nothing short of a miracle. If you head on over to the Drew thread on Pre-Allo, there are people who interviewed in February (my co-worker, Flopotomist, included) who haven't heard anything.

UCLA proper may be a different story. Given that it's May 15th, I think the admissions office should at least give you an estimate of when you'll hear back. But what should happen and what happens in admissions-land are often very different!

Looks like I have to send in a written letter to UCLA to formally withdraw (whats up all the waste of paper/postage?) This is the first of many that I have had to write a physical letter. So...I would think they might take longer if they have to wait until letters trickle in.

prana_md said:
Hi! I was a very late interview at Drew, and I just got my phone call from them on Thursday. I took the weekend to decide and faxed them my Intent to Register last night. So ... I'm in!

I'm a non-trad originally from Santa Barbara, but I'm currently living and working in Oakland. I have an s.o. who's an ER doc, and two adorable rats who are smart enough to be MDs, but lack the opposable thumbs.

I can't wait to surf again.

Congratulations! It must've been more exciting to get a phone call than a letter I bet! I'm also a non-trad and I met so many others on recruitment day. What year did you graduate?

Wookey said:
Congratulations! It must've been more exciting to get a phone call than a letter I bet! I'm also a non-trad and I met so many others on recruitment day. What year did you graduate?

Thanks!
I got my BA in 1998. (Yikes!)

I am interested in the MD/MPH program as well.

prana_md said:
Thanks!
I got my BA in 1998. (Yikes!)

I am interested in the MD/MPH program as well.

Welcome and congrats prana_md! I am also a non-trad student, graduated in 2004. I'm just curious, but those of you who have been out of school for a while, have you heard anything about this "Prologue to Medicine" course UCLA offers a week before Orientation begins? I think it's meant to ease our transition into med school since we've been out of school for a while. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

nycballet said:
Welcome and congrats prana_md! I am also a non-trad student, graduated in 2004. I'm just curious, but those of you who have been out of school for a while, have you heard anything about this "Prologue to Medicine" course UCLA offers a week before Orientation begins? I think it's meant to ease our transition into med school since we've been out of school for a while. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

I think you should enjoy the extra time off rather than doing Prologue. I've heard that it's helpful, but a lot of the same information will be covered in Block 1 by Dr. Gasson (at least, that's what happened for my class). Plus, the lecture slides from Prologue will be made available to everybody on ANGEL. Just my two cents. :)

Has anyone checked out the other university appts like Rose, Keystone, and Venice? The living area for a one bedroom in these appts is twice as big as the studio at Weyburn! I can't find the prices for these appts though. Does anyone know where they're posted?

Just wanted to add my name to the list. Congrats to all! Can't wait until August.

1. Kathy aka. DrBorisCA - From L.A., Undergrad UCLA
2. Rosemary aka. rosiemary - Pico Rivera, CA. Undergrad Stanford University
3. Andrew aka. MrAndrew47 - France/Kobe, Japan/Orange County, CA - Undergrad @ UCI!
4. G3 aka. Gee!Golly!Gosh! - From around town
5. John (Bluntman) - From OC, undergrad at UC San Diego
6. Greta aka Freewater- undergrad UC San Diego, currently living in Seattle
7. doc_doc_goose! - L.A. Undergrad in Boston
8. Jeff aka. WhiteRussian - From San Diego, undergrad at Wash U
9. dukeward - from Pasadena, Wash U undergrad
10. nocturnalraj - undergrad at UCI
11. redorkulated- From OC, 99% sure
12. mdung--San DiegO! Undergraduate @ UCSD!~
13. nycballet - undergrad at Yale ('04)
14. Danny aka Wookey - The OC, undergrad at UCI
15. Jess aka blueray83 - From Nor Cal, undergrad at Cal Poly, SLO
16. Emily (prana_md) - Oakland, ug @ Davis, post-bac @ Mills
17. Keith (Jarshaq32) - Burbank, undergrad @ Pepperdine

Anyone else thinking of living in Weyburn and need a roommate? Let's get some more housing talk going on here in the thread

~KJ

Members don't see this ad :)
DrBorisCA said:
Just remember that Weyburn rent already includes utilities, everything but parking. From what I understand the others above mentioned do not.

I'm not sure how much utilities could be, but you get free parking at the other places. 2x the living area is awesome I think, Weyburn so cramped. The only downside is that they are a little farther from school (about 4 miles). The price is $900-1100, I don't know how much Weyburn is but i'm guessing its about the same. I think it's a way better deal than Weyburn.

Wookey said:
I'm not sure how much utilities could be, but you get free parking at the other places. 2x the living area is awesome I think, Weyburn so cramped. The only downside is that they are a little farther from school (about 4 miles). The price is $900-1100, I don't know how much Weyburn is but i'm guessing its about the same. I think it's a way better deal than Weyburn.
For me, the clincher is when I think about the dorm experience as a freshman undergrad:

Sure it was cramped and overpriced...but I wouldn't trade the experience I had for anything! I met so many incredible people that first year, and I always remember feeling bad for the kids that got apartments instead or lived off campus or at home, cause they totally missed out on the bonding/friendships/memories/etc. that come with living in the same place with so many of your peers. You could argue that this won't be an issue since med school classes are so much smaller, but I think this argument is kinda bs cause even though you might make it to the big events, you'll still be missing out on the everyday chilling that really matters.

Bluntman said:
For me, the clincher is when I think about the dorm experience as a freshman undergrad:

Sure it was cramped and overpriced...but I wouldn't trade the experience I had for anything! I met so many incredible people that first year, and I always remember feeling bad for the kids that got apartments instead or lived off campus or at home, cause they totally missed out on the bonding/friendships/memories/etc. that come with living in the same place with so many of your peers. You could argue that this won't be an issue since med school classes are so much smaller, but I think this argument is kinda bs cause even though you might make it to the big events, you'll still be missing out on the everyday chilling that really matters.

That's true. I just have a thing against confined spaces lol. Do most med students get to stay at Weyburn?

Bluntman said:

I agree. I have always lived at home since it was so close to school, but I missed out a lot in the first year of undergrad when everyone else had their social circles forming with dorm mates. So I really can't wait to move in to Weyburn, cramped or not!!!

so, i won't be able to move into weyburn because i am bringing the b/f down with me, so, i will be planning to be hanging out on your guys' couches. and you can hang out on mine. cool?

hey guys...
i just got in off the waitlist at Cornell...any thoughts? i am so confused now about what to do. they seem pretty much like the same school!

um, except one has seasons and the other is going to have a bitchin' first year band :).

blueray83 said:
hey guys...
i just got in off the waitlist at Cornell...any thoughts? i am so confused now about what to do. they seem pretty much like the same school!

um, except one has seasons and the other is going to have a bitchin' first year band :).

Congrats! Choices... choices... choices... They complicate but make life all the more interesting :p

You can't go wrong with either schools I think. For what its worth UCLA is ranked slightly higher than Cornell (11 vs 14 for research, and 33 vs 49 for primary care, I believe). I guess it really comes down to where you're comfortable and the financial aid package they're offering. Best of :luck: in making your decision!

blueray83 said:
hey guys...

hey blueray..

it came down to the same 2 schools for me.

while i liked cornell a lot, my decision to go to ucla came down to:
1. proximity to family (i've spent the past 5 years in boston.. and my family is in LA)

2. gorgeous weather of LA (having seasons is overrated.. just something east-coasters tell themselves to make them feel better about having to endure the bitter cold and occasional blizzards.. if you want to see snow, you can always go up to mammoth)

3. laid-back lifestyle. i personally couldn't picture myself living in NYC for 4+ years. i love visiting the place, but living there is an entirely different story.

4. the university feel. UCLA is right on the undergrad campus, and right in the heart of westwood. cornell's undergrad campus is hundreds of miles away. i'm big on the whole 'school pride' deal, so geffen's location helps to foster that.

5. sports. kind of goes with #4, but i can't wait to watch the (almost championship) basketball team. coming from an undergrad school that wasn't too big on sports, this is something i've been waiting for for a long time. plus, LA has kobe! and lakers >>> knicks.

6. cost. easy enough, unless cornell gives you a hefty scholarship.

while the schools themselves are somewhat similar [in their curriculum (cornell has a little more pbl, though), research reputation, and reputable hospital affiliations], i think they're significantly different with regard to their environments.

well enough of my rambling.. good luck!

doc_doc_goose! said:
2. gorgeous weather of LA (having seasons is overrated.. just something east-coasters tell themselves to make them feel better about having to endure the bitter cold and occasional blizzards.. if you want to see snow, you can always go up to mammoth)
Amen, brother!

(btw I owe you a drink!)

I would choose UCLA any day over Cornell, b/c of those same reasons that doc_doc_goose gave. All those reasons to choose UCLA apply to Stanford pretty much...thats why my decision was very damn hard.

doc_doc_goose! said:
it came down to the same 2 schools for me.

Its amazing, I've heard from a lot of people that had to make decisions between these two schools.

Rebs said:
Its amazing, I've heard from a lot of people that had to make decisions between these two schools.

Aww, first Elastase leaving us, now you Rebs??? Awww.... Well good luck in the Big Apple!

DrBorisCA said:
Aww, first Elastase leaving us, now you Rebs??? Awww.... Well good luck in the Big Apple!

Dr. Boris, I appreciate the remark. You guys were all awesome at recruit weekend and I'm gonna miss some good times I know. The fact that we all got along and had an awesome time that weekend makes it painful. The plan is to still meet up with you guys later on at UCLA during residency after I've got the "4 year vacation" out of my system.

Up until the financial aid info came out UCLA had the slight edge, but after realizing how much cheaper Cornell was going to be it was tough not to ignore (sounds like a lie, I know). However, there was lots of reasons I had to consider not just the money, and still I wrestle whether I'm brave enough to leave Utopia/So. California. I will miss the Acapulco nights and the binge drinking at Gotham (oh wait...I was that guy that night). Anyhow, you guys are a great group, and good luck in LA.

Rebs signing out...

Thanks a lot everyone (especially Doc), I am constantly surprised at how helpful and supportive everyone is on here. Basically, you guys kick ass! Its going to be a tough decision. As a California native, I think it is going to come down to whether or not I want the adventure (and hardship) of moving very very far away, or if I want to be somewhere comfy for the next few years. There are so many amazing things about each school...and having such amazing people on this forum doesn't make it any easier!!!

Rebs said:
Dr. Boris, I appreciate the remark. You guys were all awesome at recruit weekend and I'm gonna miss some good times I know. The fact that we all got along and had an awesome time that weekend makes it painful. The plan is to still meet up with you guys later on at UCLA during residency after I've got the "4 year vacation" out of my system.

Up until the financial aid info came out UCLA had the slight edge, but after realizing how much cheaper Cornell was going to be it was tough not to ignore (sounds like a lie, I know). However, there was lots of reasons I had to consider not just the money, and still I wrestle whether I'm brave enough to leave Utopia/So. California. I will miss the Acapulco nights and the binge drinking at Gotham (oh wait...I was that guy that night). Anyhow, you guys are a great group, and good luck in LA.

Rebs signing out...
Aww that would have been a tough choice for me too man. Luckily (unfortunately(?)) Tri-I rejected my ass after I interviewed. Best of luck out there and promise not to break my balls too hard when you're back here as a resident and I'm still doing my lowly med student rotations!

Rebs said:

Rebs signing out...

We're going to miss you Rebs! Have an awesome time in NYC!

rosiemary said:
We're going to miss you Rebs! Have an awesome time in NYC!

Thanks guys. BTW do any of you have a jacket or scarf? All I have to bring are my sandals and a sweater.

Rebs said:
Thanks guys. BTW do any of you have a jacket or scarf? All I have to bring are my sandals and a sweater.

That reminded me of the time when I was seven and living in D.C. I wore a thick coat like it was a cocoon :laugh:

It's much colder in NY than DC. You may need more than a jacket and scarf i'm afraid... Long johns will do the trick!

Wookey said:
That reminded me of the time when I was seven and living in D.C. I wore a thick coat like it was a cocoon :laugh:

It's much colder in NY than DC. You may need more than a jacket and scarf i'm afraid... Long johns will do the trick!

Hey Guys!

I was at recruitment day too and I had a nice time! I just got in off of Columbia's waitlist and I'm really thinking about it since I already did undergrad at UCLA and my SO is out in Boston. Any thoughts? :confused:
Thanks!

mchou

mchou said:
Hey Guys!

I was at recruitment day too and I had a nice time! I just got in off of Columbia's waitlist and I'm really thinking about it since I already did undergrad at UCLA and my SO is out in Boston. Any thoughts? :confused:
Thanks!

mchou

Wow, there are so many of us Cali kids having to make that decision. I am also choosing between CA and NY right now. In my mind, the schools I am choosing between are equal with respect to having the kind of curriculum I want and opportunities, etc., it is coming down to whether i want the adventure or not.
I don't know much about columbia, but if it has what you want school-wise (isn't it more lecture-based than PBL?) and you're ready to try something new (and cold) I say go for it. On the other hand, you have to think about weather and being far from family and everything familiar...but then the bonus of being on the same coast as your SO.
I am sure you've already been weighing all these factors, and probably more. It has been a tough couple of days for me in trying to choose, but in the end, it looks like for me it may just come down to simply wanting to try something new.
Good luck in your decision, and know that whatever school you choose will be the right one. Let me know if there's anything else I do!

blueray83 said:
Wow, there are so many of us Cali kids having to make that decision. I am also choosing between CA and NY right now. In my mind, the schools I am choosing between are equal with respect to having the kind of curriculum I want and opportunities, etc., it is coming down to whether i want the adventure or not.
I don't know much about columbia, but if it has what you want school-wise (isn't it more lecture-based than PBL?) and you're ready to try something new (and cold) I say go for it. On the other hand, you have to think about weather and being far from family and everything familiar...but then the bonus of being on the same coast as your SO.
I am sure you've already been weighing all these factors, and probably more. It has been a tough couple of days for me in trying to choose, but in the end, it looks like for me it may just come down to simply wanting to try something new.
Good luck in your decision, and know that whatever school you choose will be the right one. Let me know if there's anything else I do!

Thanks! That was really nice of you! I had such a great time at recruitment day and I even got to sit with my interviewer at lunch *Dr. Fulco* who was just so cool! Anyway, I do feel that I want to try something new but I think the students at Columbia are a little more stressed. Everyone says it's great preparation though for your residency. So I feel like it's more of a sacrifice now or later?

I wish you luck in deciding too! And congrats for being in such a great position!

Just got my housing offer, check your email everybody!!!!

The weird thing is I applied pretty early with studio as first pick and didnt get it! So I got a 2 bedroom instead..

That's odd... I thought 1st years get highest priority. Maybe they also take in consideration if you're already living in LA?

i got my offer too! got a 2bedrm. the arrival date is july 15th. do we have to move in that early? hahah...

DrBorisCA said:

The weird thing is I applied pretty early with studio as first pick and didnt get it! So I got a 2 bedroom instead..

Sry, I had a brain-freeze :confused: They shouldn't care to place a local or transplant student either in a 1 or 2 bedroom appt.

I didn't get an email so I checked the housing status page it says...

Sequence: 1
Building: WEYBURN TERRACE

I have no idea which type of appt it is though.

DrBorisCA said:

Yeah, I applied mad early too.. Ended up with a 2 BR town house though.. not too shabby.. wish we could see who our roommates are though..

Ok... This is why we won't be getting the studio appt.

"Since current UCLA housing resident students reserve their housing in April for the following Fall Quarter, some housing facilities and room types may not be available to new students."

no offer yet. When did you guys submit your housing request? So is everyone's move in date on July 15? That is soo early.

waterlily said:
no offer yet. When did you guys submit your housing request? So is everyone's move in date on July 15? That is soo early.

i submitted the app during the first week of april.. my move-in date is august 1st.. maybe you can ask to move in later?

also.. did you finally decide on ucla, waterlily?

Housing app date: 4/6, Got a 2 bedroom, 2 person (does this mean you may get a 2 BR apt or 2 BR townhouse?) and move in date: 8/1.

DrBorisCA said:
Housing app date: 4/6, Got a 2 bedroom, 2 person (does this mean you may get a 2 BR apt or 2 BR townhouse?) and move in date: 8/1.

mine specifically said townhouse.. so you probably got a 2 BR apt (?)

waterlily said:
yup I did :D

Yay! :)

Damn, I feel out of the loop...why can't some of you cool kids come up to PA to join me. :D

Whoa looks like my little Vegas trip made me miss all of the housing excitement on last Friday. Hmmm I'm a bit confused tho cause my offer says it starts on June 15th (damn too early) and ends on May 31, 2007...but classes don't get out until the end of June (for c/o 2009 at least)! :confused: :( That'd be wack if I have to appt search and move right when we need to be studying. I didn't get a studio either -> townhouse instead.

BTW Susan I'm stoked you're coming to LA!!! :D We're all going to have a blast!

cHocoBo 118 said:
haha i just went to vegas this past weekend too. I'm so tired right now. I stayed at the venetian. I lost so much money... though i did hit a roulette number dead on on my first shot.
Haha ride on! We were staying at Luxor. Venetian is bomb tho...their rooms are like 2x the size of everywhere else.

Is anyone thinking of living off campus? I think I'm too late to get into Weyburn, and I have a long-distance s.o. and pets to think about ...
If so, where are you thinking of living? I just got a subscription to Westside Rentals. I'm from SoCal, but I don't know LA as well as I'd like.