UCLA Class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
prana_md said:
Is anyone thinking of living off campus? I think I'm too late to get into Weyburn, and I have a long-distance s.o. and pets to think about ...
If so, where are you thinking of living? I just got a subscription to Westside Rentals. I'm from SoCal, but I don't know LA as well as I'd like.

Yes me too. I'm trying to find a bigger place than Weyburn. You can find postings from other UCLA students looking for roommates at www.cho.ucla.edu. Their prices are pretty much the same as on campus housing (1k/room) but I'm hoping the rooms are bigger and the parking's free.

Members don't see this ad.

Bluntman said:
Whoa looks like my little Vegas trip made me miss all of the housing excitement on last Friday. Hmmm I'm a bit confused tho cause my offer says it starts on June 15th (damn too early) and ends on May 31, 2007...but classes don't get out until the end of June (for c/o 2009 at least)! :confused: :( That'd be wack if I have to appt search and move right when we need to be studying. I didn't get a studio either -> townhouse instead.

BTW Susan I'm stoked you're coming to LA!!! :D We're all going to have a blast!

You guys will get out considerably earlier than the class of 2009. Basically, for my class, one of the blocks in second year is split up by winter break, so that 4 weeks occur before the break and 4 weeks occur after --- which kind of stinks. They're fixing the curriculum so that you guys won't have this problem. It will mean that you get out earlier for first year and start earlier for second year. I don't know if you'll be out by May 31, though.

prana_md said:
Is anyone thinking of living off campus? I think I'm too late to get into Weyburn, and I have a long-distance s.o. and pets to think about ...
If so, where are you thinking of living? I just got a subscription to Westside Rentals. I'm from SoCal, but I don't know LA as well as I'd like.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I have a long distance boy-toy and kitty to think about...I guess I'm also not too thrilled with the idea of ~300 square feet of living space- Did that in college and am not eager to do it again. So far I've found the off campus housing website and craigslist fairly useful. It's so difficult to do over the internet, though. I'm planning on visiting LA in early June to look at a few places I've picked out. For studio/1 bdrms in Westwood, most places I've found are averaging around 1500, some without refrigerators of all things...
What've you found?

Members don't see this ad :)
waterlily said:
So is everyone's move in date on July 15? That is soo early.
Mine is June 15th, which is early even for us MSTP kids...

Soo...I talked with a lady at housing services and she told me how to request to push back the start date. (still has to be on either the 1st or 15th of each month) They make you do everything through the AskHousing website, so if any of you want to modify your housing offers, this is the place to request it. Also, she said that it is common for people to request extensions at the end of their contracts too, but you don't need to request this until next spring.

btw I only know of one lucky bastard that got a studio!

Snarfblatt said:
I'm in exactly the same boat. I have a long distance boy-toy and kitty to think about...I guess I'm also not too thrilled with the idea of ~300 square feet of living space- Did that in college and am not eager to do it again. So far I've found the off campus housing website and craigslist fairly useful. It's so difficult to do over the internet, though. I'm planning on visiting LA in early June to look at a few places I've picked out. For studio/1 bdrms in Westwood, most places I've found are averaging around 1500, some without refrigerators of all things...
What've you found?

I've found some studios for ~ 1000 in West LA and Palms, but I don't know how liveable they are.

Hello fellow Bruins!

I was recently accepted (off the waitlist) to UCLA, which is AWESOME! I am now pretty torn since I was kinda already set on UCSF, but I do love UCLA (former undergrad). I'm wondering if any of you had this decision to make, or one similar to this. ALSO, I was wondering how UCLA is when it comes to scholarships and grants.
ANY input would be greatly appreciated :oops:

Thank you! :D

SoCalGal said:
Hello fellow Bruins!

I was recently accepted (off the waitlist) to UCLA, which is AWESOME! I am now pretty torn since I was kinda already set on UCSF, but I do love UCLA (former undergrad). I'm wondering if any of you had this decision to make, or one similar to this. ALSO, I was wondering how UCLA is when it comes to scholarships and grants.
ANY input would be greatly appreciated :oops:

Thank you! :D

Both schools are great, and I believe they have (on average) similar financial aid opportunities. What you get, however, could be much different - is there any way you can get aid estimates before you have to decide? I believe UCLA will do this if your call their office.

Anyway, with schools of this caliber, it totally comes down to location for me - and in that department, deep down at the heart of your very soul, you're either going to be a socal type or a bay area type. Nobody is both. Which one are you?

Bluntman said:
Both schools are great, and I believe they have (on average) similar financial aid opportunities. What you get, however, could be much different - is there any way you can get aid estimates before you have to decide? I believe UCLA will do this if your call their office.

Anyway, with schools of this caliber, it totally comes down to location for me - and in that department, deep down at the heart of your very soul, you're either going to be a socal type or a bay area type. Nobody is both. Which one are you?

I'm SO the SoCalGal! I guess that should answer my own question but I think I will try to get the estimate you're talking about, but do you know if I have to submit my "Statement of Intent to Register" before they'd give me this? And is that SIR a binding contract!?!?!

Thanks for the input man! or Bluntman!

SoCalGal said:
I'm SO the SoCalGal! I guess that should answer my own question but I think I will try to get the estimate you're talking about, but do you know if I have to submit my "Statement of Intent to Register" before they'd give me this? And is that SIR a binding contract!?!?!

Thanks for the input man! or Bluntman!
lol I guess your sn kinda gave that one away. ;) The SIR is not a binding contract. When you fill it out on URSA, there is even a new section that appears that reads "change your mind and want to withdraw?" I'm not sure if you have to do the SIR in order to get your finaid estimate, since I'm mstp and don't really deal much with the MD finaid office. Anyone else know the answer? Since it doesn't hurt to do the SIR tho, you might as well just fill it out...since it can take a couple days to register on the site after you've done it, and I'm sure you're more than eager to get this all settled. :p

Bluntman said:
lol I guess your sn kinda gave that one away. ;) The SIR is not a binding contract. When you fill it out on URSA, there is even a new section that appears that reads "change your mind and want to withdraw?" I'm not sure if you have to do the SIR in order to get your finaid estimate, since I'm mstp and don't really deal much with the MD finaid office. Anyone else know the answer? Since it doesn't hurt to do the SIR tho, you might as well just fill it out...since it can take a couple days to register on the site after you've done it, and I'm sure you're more than eager to get this all settled. :p

Thank you! I should be working but I'll get on that right now! One more silly question...when does UCLA start??? I tried to locate the C/O 2010 calendar but no luck...

hey socalgal...
tough decision! there are so many similarities and differences, pros and cons to weigh between the two schools.
on the one hand, UCLA has the undergrad campus right there, and access to all the awesome stuff that goes along with that like speakers, events, sports, and non-med types (don't get me wrong, i love you guys, its just that sometimes its nice to meet other types of people). Also, if you are a "true" socalgal, then LA might be a great place to learn and live.
However, I don't know how you're feeling about staying in the same place. I stayed in my undergrad town one extra year, and am ready to get out and try something new! The area that UCSF is in is absolutely beautiful...I'm sure you remember that anatomy lab.
So, anyway, these are things you are probably thinking about already, but I think they would be the biggest factors for me (not the financial aid, because it is likely that they will be similar).
Good luck on your decision, but in the end, I am sure you will make the right choice for you. :)

SoCalGal said:
Thank you! I should be working but I'll get on that right now! One more silly question...when does UCLA start??? I tried to locate the C/O 2010 calendar but no luck...
I believe someone called awhile back and they said that orientation week is the second week in August.

Thanks Blueray! It is truly a win-win situation, as is yours I see from prev. posts...which school did you decide on????

Members don't see this ad :)
Bluntman said:
I believe someone called awhile back and they said that orientation week is the second week in August.

yeah, the letter states Aug 7th-11th, so I assume classes begin Aug 14th...that's so soon, kinda! YIKES :scared:

blueray83 said:
However, I don't know how you're feeling about staying in the same place. I stayed in my undergrad town one extra year, and am ready to get out and try something new!
Just to advocate for the devil for a sec...

I know quite a few people who grew up in socal, went to school at UCLA/SD/I, and then went to UCSF, who regret the decision to move up North and are counting down the days (years) until they get to come back down. Not to say that there aren't others who love the transition and variety, but just use stories like this as a reminder to make every effort to check things out to really know what you'd be getting into. Cause once you take the plunge, say goodbye to palm trees and sun for a loooong time! :smuggrin:

Bluntman said:

I know quite a few people who grew up in socal, went to school at UCLA/SD/I, and then went to UCSF, who regret the decision to move up North and are counting down the days (years) until they get to come back down. Not to say that there aren't others who love the transition and variety, but just use stories like this as a reminder to make every effort to check things out to really know what you'd be getting into. Cause once you take the plunge, say goodbye to palm trees and sun for a loooong time! :smuggrin:

Definitely true, I know at least one current UCSF student that feels the same way...he doesn't like SF compared to LA, and thus he isn't that happy (about the location), and actually some complaints about the school, he wishes he went to another school were kids seemed happier...but thats another story...You really cannot go wrong in my mind, with either choice as they have some pluses/minuses but overall are top institutions...good luck with your decision!

Bluntman said:

I agree with this. I am a total SoCal girl myself, and I really had trouble seeing myself at UCSF after interviewing. I'm happy with where I am. :thumbup: Good luck! Let me know if you have questions about the UCLA curriculum, etc.

Hi guys,

About the Weyburn offer, is the initial payment suppose to cover the 1st month rent? If so... i think they tallied up my total amount incorrectly. $9200 for 8/1/06 to 4/31/07 at $920/mo seems wrong. Did anyone else get charged more than the months they're renting? Or is there some hidden fee I'm not aware of.

Wookey said:
Hi guys,

About the Weyburn offer, is the initial payment suppose to cover the 1st month rent? If so... i think they tallied up my total amount incorrectly. $9200 for 8/1/06 to 4/31/07 at $920/mo seems wrong. Did anyone else get charged more than the months they're renting? Or is there some hidden fee I'm not aware of.
The initial payment is for your last month of rent. Even tho your last payment is probably put down as due on 4/1, your lease actually goes to 5/31. Check the main offer page where it gives you your contract start and end dates to be sure.

SoCalGal said:
Thanks Blueray! It is truly a win-win situation, as is yours I see from prev. posts...which school did you decide on????

I am still deciding...they give you two weeks. I am pretty set on heading out to the east coast (very hard decision), but am waiting to get my financial aid estimate back in order to make my final decision. As you can probably guess, I was ready to try something new, and NYC is really new to me!
About the SIR, I don't think you have to have it in for financial aid, but I do think its required for the housing application. That's what I remember anyway, but the past couple of months have been a blur! ;) I'm sure you can call and ask, they're pretty helpful in the financial aid office.
Even though I'm thinking about leaving, I do love UCLA and it's program, even though I am a NorCalGal :p (wow, that doesn't sound nearly as cool as SoCalGal...), so let me know if you have any other questions that would help you make your decision!

Bluntman said:
The initial payment is for your last month of rent. Even tho your last payment is probably put down as due on 4/1, your lease actually goes to 5/31. Check the main offer page where it gives you your contract start and end dates to be sure.

You're right the lease goes to 5/31. I didn't notice that. Thanks!

Wookey said:
You're right the lease goes to 5/31. I didn't notice that. Thanks!
You're welcome. :) I thought the same thing too when I first looked at the payment schedule.

Hi Guys -
This is my first time posting..
I'll be joining the class of 2010 at UCLA and I recently applied for Weyburn Terrace Housing.

Is there anyone looking for a roommate for weyburn?

Howdee everyone, just got off the waitlist and wondering what my chances are at getting one of those spiffy weyburn terrance apartments.

ShockaKlan said:
Howdee everyone, just got off the waitlist and wondering what my chances are at getting one of those spiffy weyburn terrance apartments.

They look nice outside but you might be shocked to see the living space ;)

I think pretty much all med students if they get housing will be placed at Weyburn. But send in your housing app as soon as you can.

the_chister said:
Hi Guys -
This is my first time posting..
I'll be joining the class of 2010 at UCLA and I recently applied for Weyburn Terrace Housing.

Is there anyone looking for a roommate for weyburn?
Congrats! I think jarshaq32 was looking for a roommate. Throw your name up on the c/o 2010 list too! :thumbup: (btw anyone we need to take off now?)

1. Kathy aka. DrBorisCA - From L.A., Undergrad UCLA
2. Rosemary aka. rosiemary - Pico Rivera, CA. Undergrad Stanford University
3. Andrew aka. MrAndrew47 - France/Kobe, Japan/Orange County, CA - Undergrad @ UCI!
4. G3 aka. Gee!Golly!Gosh! - From around town
5. John (Bluntman) - From OC, undergrad at UC San Diego
6. Greta aka Freewater- undergrad UC San Diego, currently living in Seattle
7. doc_doc_goose! - L.A. Undergrad in Boston
8. Jeff aka. WhiteRussian - From San Diego, undergrad at Wash U
9. dukeward - from Pasadena, Wash U undergrad
10. nocturnalraj - undergrad at UCI
11. redorkulated- From OC, 99% sure
12. mdung--San DiegO! Undergraduate @ UCSD!~
13. nycballet - undergrad at Yale ('04)
14. Danny aka Wookey - The OC, undergrad at UCI
15. Jess aka blueray83 - From Nor Cal, undergrad at Cal Poly, SLO
16. Emily (prana_md) - Oakland, ug @ Davis, post-bac @ Mills
17. Keith (Jarshaq32) - Burbank, undergrad @ Pepperdine

Hm... girls looking for roommates? Btw, ShockaKlan is looking for a roommate. Might be of interest to Jarshaq32

3. Andrew aka. MrAndrew47 - France/Kobe, Japan/Orange County, CA - Undergrad @ UCI!
17. Keith (Jarshaq32) - Burbank, undergrad @ Pepperdine[/QUOTE]
18. Amanda (the_chister) - Taiwan/Vancouver/Piedmont, undergrad at Princeton

the_chister said:
Hm... girls looking for roommates?
Hi Amanda! (much better than the sex-ambiguous the_chister ;) )

If you personally don't care if it's a guy or a girl, they do allow co-ed roommates if you both request each other.

Anyone know by any chance the dimensions of a bedroom within the 2 bedroom apt? The layout plan only has dimensions for entire apt, but not the BR specifically? (11 by 13 maybe?)

DrBorisCA said:
Anyone know by any chance the dimensions of a bedroom within the 2 bedroom apt? The layout plan only has dimensions for entire apt, but not the BR specifically? (11 by 13 maybe?)

I had no luck trying to find that either. It looks like 11 by 10. Btw, anybody feel weird about Weyburn being next to a cemetery? Sure makes for great Halloweens :)

Hello Bruins,

Finally some time off from running around the country. I ran into this wonderful thread and am so thrilled that I'm getting a feel for my future classmates. I can't wait to meet you all in person. I'm so bummed I couldn't make it to admit weekend because I was out of the country. I finally got time to check out some apartments this weekend and cant' believe how tiny everything is in LA!!!! I will be moving in with the fam, so I will definately miss out on Weyburn, and I hear if you applied around the end of April you have no luck of getting a place before January? Is that true???? I guess med students don't have a priority. Anyone coming in with a partner/family have any advice?

Can't wait to meet and talk to all of you!!!

UCLAgirl4ever said:
Hello Bruins,

Finally some time off from running around the country. I ran into this wonderful thread and am so thrilled that I'm getting a feel for my future classmates. I can't wait to meet you all in person. I'm so bummed I couldn't make it to admit weekend because I was out of the country. I finally got time to check out some apartments this weekend and cant' believe how tiny everything is in LA!!!! I will be moving in with the fam, so I will definately miss out on Weyburn, and I hear if you applied around the end of April you have no luck of getting a place before January? Is that true???? I guess med students don't have a priority. Anyone coming in with a partner/family have any advice?

Can't wait to meet and talk to all of you!!!

Hi there! Nice to have you aboard! You're so lucky to get a chance to travel before med school. Hope you had a blast! There is very little unused space in LA which will definitely take some getting used to. UCLA has housing for students with families too a bit further from the campus. Best of luck finding a place!

Wookey said:
I had no luck trying to find that either. It looks like 11 by 10. Btw, anybody feel weird about Weyburn being next to a cemetery? Sure makes for great Halloweens :)
I was a bit creeped out about it when I first realized it, but it's full/inactive (or at least the part by weyburn is) and looks basically like a park now. i.e. we won't be having to wake up to funerals going on or anything like that. ;)

Thanks Wookey!

I am so happy I got to travel too, even though it was pulling teeth trying take time off from work. Wish me luck with the painful endeavor or finding housing :)

Bluntman said:
I was a bit creeped out about it when I first realized it, but it's full/inactive (or at least the part by weyburn is) and looks basically like a park now. i.e. we won't be having to wake up to funerals going on or anything like that. ;)

cemetery - t - dp = park

t= tombstones

dp = dead peoples

on a different note...i am female and am looking for a cool roomie [weyburn]. anyone interested??

Hi everyone. Does anyone looking for off-campus housing know of any other listings services, besides the UCLA housing website and craigslist? Has anyone had success with Metrorent? Thanks for any help!

Hey guys, so I got off ucsf's waitlist beginning of last week and I spent the whole week trying to decide which school to go to. I was totally looking forward to spending 4 yrs down in LA. And after meeting all you chill people at second look made the decision SOO much harder. But I finally decided on ucsf since my family and bf are here. I'm bummed I won't be able be classmates and party with you guys, but definitely keep in touch! :)

waterlily said:
Hey guys, so I got off ucsf's waitlist beginning of last week and I spent the whole week trying to decide which school to go to. I was totally looking forward to spending 4 yrs down in LA. And after meeting all you chill people at second look made the decision SOO much harder. But I finally decided on ucsf since my family and bf are here. I'm bummed I won't be able be classmates and party with you guys, but definitely keep in touch! :)
Awww we'll miss you Susan! *tear*

19. chipan14 - Hawaii, undergrad UCLA

Welcome aboard Chipan! Hope you're enjoying some time off b4 school starts!

20. Iulia (brassai) - San Jose, CA, undergrad UCLA

Hey everyone! I just found out today, and I'm REALLY REALLY excited. I can't wait to meet you all!

Cheers,
Iulia

Welcome aboard guys! :thumbup:

brassai said:
Cheers,
Iulia
That's such an interesting name! If you don't mind me asking, what nationality is it? Do you pronounce it like Julia except E-ulia? :)

Wookey said:
Welcome aboard Chipan! Hope you're enjoying some time off b4 school starts!

Thanks, Wookey. I definitely am! :)

Bluntman said:
That's such an interesting name! If you don't mind me asking, what nationality is it? Do you pronounce it like Julia except E-ulia? :)

Take a guess about where my name comes from... I'm just curious to see what you come up with ;) . Good job with the phonetics! A lot of people pronounce the I like the pronoun and I don't understand why they do that. It actually sounds more like You-lia since the i doesn't separate from the u.

20. Iulia (brassai) - San Jose, CA, undergrad UCLA
21. Chris (shockaklan) - From Sun Daygo, undergrad UCSD

Who's down for a shot?

brassai said:
Take a guess about where my name comes from... I'm just curious to see what you come up with ;) . Good job with the phonetics! A lot of people pronounce the I like the pronoun and I don't understand why they do that. It actually sounds more like You-lia since the i doesn't separate from the u.
Hmmm...you're a tricky one I see! :p I think it's Eastern European (not Russian tho) but I'm not sure exactly what state.

hey guys, i made the final decision, and i am headed out to the east coast for the fall. it has been really great getting to know you, and i hope you all have a fabulous couple of (warm) years!!!
over and out.

blueray83 said:
hey guys, i made the final decision, and i am headed out to the east coast for the fall. it has been really great getting to know you, and i hope you all have a fabulous couple of (warm) years!!!
over and out.

Must have a been a tough decision to make, good thing you can't go wrong with either schools. You can always come back to UCLA for residency :) All the best to you at Cornell!

ShockaKlan said: