UBC Pre-pharmacy 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would pharmacists with multiple degrees earn more when they start working? I'm asking that because by the time I will be admitted to Pharmacy (granted that they won't consider late PCAT marks), that would be the year I enter my fourth and last year of my program (MBIM). Should I just complete my degree in BSc?

I know, this may be a controversial topic because money should not equal motivation for pharmacists, but I was just wondering how a completion of a BSc degree would influence my future in pharmacy.

I don't think pharmacists with multiple degrees earn more... but it could depend on which area in pharmacy you decide to specialize in?

I'd finish the BSc degree in MBIM because it'd be a waste of a year if you quit! If I were rejected last year, I would have completed my MBIM degree before reapplying. It's your call though

The amount you earn as a pharmacist could be motivation but it shouldn't be your sole motivation.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think pharmacists with multiple degrees earn more... but it could depend on which area in pharmacy you decide to specialize in?

I'd finish the BSc degree in MBIM because it'd be a waste of a year if you quit! If I were rejected last year, I would have completed my MBIM degree before reapplying. It's your call though

The amount you earn as a pharmacist could be motivation but it shouldn't be your sole motivation.

As a community or retail pharmacist you wouldn't earn more as you are being paid as a pharmacist with a Bsc. Pharm and not being paid based on any other degree you have. That being said I would probably still finish out the degree at that point because it could always be useful if you decided to switch careers or do something like research, etc.

If you get your degree at UBC (or any university), do you have to work in your province of residence? And if you can work elsewhere, how likely are they to hire you as opposed to someone to graduated from a university from their own province/state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the pharmacy school expects you to complete all the prerequisites in the first year?

hey everyone, since most of you seem to be from Canada as well I want to ask you guys, when registering for the PCAT, what did you guys put for the SSN part? From my understanding, SSN is only for Americans. However, I know some people left that part blank, but UBC's online application asks for you to give them your SIN for them to check your PCAT scores...so did you guys have to call the PCAT ppl to add in your SIN to your profile?

hey everyone, since most of you seem to be from Canada as well I want to ask you guys, when registering for the PCAT, what did you guys put for the SSN part? From my understanding, SSN is only for Americans. However, I know some people left that part blank, but UBC's online application asks for you to give them your SIN for them to check your PCAT scores...so did you guys have to call the PCAT ppl to add in your SIN to your profile?

Just put your SIN in the SSN part. Apparently, the SIN is the Canadian equivalent of the SSN.

TBH, I dont even remember putting in my SIN on my application for UBC.. Uh-Oh.

Hmm I just now checked the pcat site, I don't see where you put your sin anywhere. I might of typed it in the ssn box I guess, but I don't remember.

Have a screenshot?

I think it will pick up once it gets closer to the application due date, as well as towards the interview date.

Yea I just checked the old ubc threads from 07-09, the initial thread was started around mid jan-feb :laugh:

Does anyone know if the pharmacy school expects you to complete all the prerequisites in the first year?

They don't necessarily expect you to but it's something you can choose to do - for example, my cousins friend applied to UBC straight out of high school, did all of her pre-reqs in the first year, applied to Pharmacy at UBC and got accepted. You do get the benefit of finishing in 5 years! :)

Hi guys,
I am a first year student planning on taking the June PCAT for admission for ubc 2011. I already have the kaplan book, but i've been hearing mixed reviews about it (on this forum), and especially negative feedback on the organic chem section. For those of you who have already taken the PCAT, I wanted your opinion on my study method. I'm thinking of just reviewing my lecture notes and textbooks with the kaplan book as a guideline. Do you think this will be substantial? Are there any other books that would prepare me better, and/or do you think it would be worth my while to take organic chem in the summer and postpone my PCAT to august or october? Also, what is the composite score and does UBC only look at this score?

Thanks a lot:)

I am a high schooler who lives in New York State. What should I be doing/worrying about/planning to do? I have applied to several places and am doing scholarship work now.

a. Saint John's University, University of Buffalo, SUNY Stonybrook, SUNY Albany,
Long Island University,...
b. Overall GPA: 3.5
c. Math/Science: B's
d. IDK
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): What?
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Zero

Hi guys,
I am a first year student planning on taking the June PCAT for admission for ubc 2011. I already have the kaplan book, but i've been hearing mixed reviews about it (on this forum), and especially negative feedback on the organic chem section. For those of you who have already taken the PCAT, I wanted your opinion on my study method. I'm thinking of just reviewing my lecture notes and textbooks with the kaplan book as a guideline. Do you think this will be substantial? Are there any other books that would prepare me better, and/or do you think it would be worth my while to take organic chem in the summer and postpone my PCAT to august or october? Also, what is the composite score and does UBC only look at this score?

Taking chem 233 in the summer will definitely help but I don't think it's absolutely necessary for you to do well on the PCAT. Since you're applying for next year, I would take chem 233 before the PCAT because you would have to do it eventually anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a high schooler who lives in New York State. What should I be doing/worrying about/planning to do? I have applied to several places and am doing scholarship work now.

a. Saint John's University, University of Buffalo, SUNY Stonybrook, SUNY Albany,
Long Island University,...
b. Overall GPA: 3.5
c. Math/Science: B's
d. IDK
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): What?
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Zero

Nothing like a first post in the wrong thread. :laugh:

Hi guys,

Chem 233 doesn't really cover the same material that the PCAT requires you to know. Most of the organic part in the PCAT is from Chem 123 from what I've heard. I'm taking it in January, so I'll let you know how that goes. The composite score is everything in the PCAT but the essays, and yes they only look at that score from the PCAT.

Chem 233 doesn't really cover the same material that the PCAT requires you to know. Most of the organic part in the PCAT is from Chem 123 from what I've heard. I'm taking it in January, so I'll let you know how that goes. The composite score is everything in the PCAT but the essays, and yes they only look at that score from the PCAT.

What do they look at on the PCAT exactly? Just the composite? Or just the chem score?

Edited.

Last edited:
What do they look at on the PCAT exactly? Just the composite? Or just the chem score?

Edited.

Yes, they only look at the composite = all sections except for the essays.
You need at least a composite score of 65% to even apply for pharmacy

Yes, they only look at the composite = all sections except for the essays.
You need at least a composite score of 65% to even apply for pharmacy

Ok I took a Pcat practice test from the site.

98 chem
65-72 all other sections
The quant was hard ...

Im panicking!

is everyone nervous??
the pcat is in less than a week!! :eek:

Gosh I do feel out of place for posting here. Since I'm nowhere close to being applying for Pharmacy. I am still very interested in pursuing that as a career though. I'm currently finishing grade 12 in Vancouver attending a mini school which is Art driven (ie: performing/visual arts). My anticipated average for application to UBC Sciences would be from any where from 90-95% and I am a permanent resident in BC and a citizen.

I just wanted to get a head start in preparing myself for the long road ahead and I was wondering if any of you guys have any advice for me. Such as volunteering at a local pharmacy or whatever?

Is it even a realistic goal to assume that I will get in applying after first year? (2011 cycle)
My only real concern is that I chose not to take physics 12 in high school cause I was stupid. However it's probably too late now.

Thanks you guys

Last edited:
Since most of the large pharmacy/grocery chains are no longer taking any volunteers, your best bet would be to go for small independent pharmacies if you are trying to find volunteer.

assuming u rack up a decent average of 85% and above in first year, u have a pretty good chance of getting in. Any real problem would be from the the PCAT, which includes many things u have not learned yet. However, with a few good practice books, u can probably ace it too.

and I think about 1/5 to 1/3 of the admitted class each year are first year students.

Hey guys,

I'm writing the pcat in 3 days and i'm freaking out!
I'm really scared of the chemistry part and it's scaring me that people are capable of getting 98 like i read on here!
I've taken organic chem but I don't think I remember any of the reactions but what I was concerned about is the whole no calculator thing for the chemistry section.
If you've taken the Pcat before, what kind of chemistry questions are on it? Like more conceptual or more calculation?
It's just that I don't think there is enough time to answer 50 questions in 30 minutes with a lot of calculation required without a calculator!!

Anyone want to elaborate?

Thank you!!!!!!!!

well the pcat was pretty damn hard.
but at least i finished ..
how did everyone else feel?:thumbdown:thumbup::xf:

Hey guys,

I'm writing the pcat in 3 days and i'm freaking out!
I'm really scared of the chemistry part and it's scaring me that people are capable of getting 98 like i read on here!
I've taken organic chem but I don't think I remember any of the reactions but what I was concerned about is the whole no calculator thing for the chemistry section.
If you've taken the Pcat before, what kind of chemistry questions are on it? Like more conceptual or more calculation?
It's just that I don't think there is enough time to answer 50 questions in 30 minutes with a lot of calculation required without a calculator!!

Anyone want to elaborate?

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Hey
Sorry for late reply
Yeah. I understand what you are saying. Chem is always my scariest part for me too. I ran out of time in my 1st attempt and scored 49%...since then chem became my trauma. Then the 2nd time writing pcat, I scored 98%.

how?
i think chem is designed in a way to confuse ppl so that you get trapped in a time pressure environment. for example, there was a long question giving so much info, but all you needed to find anwer was to know what Acid product looks like....something like that.

if you want to improve chem score, do a lot of questions in kaplan,,,like 5 times at least. then you should be able to get high score!

well the pcat was pretty damn hard.
but at least i finished ..
how did everyone else feel?:thumbdown:thumbup::xf:

If you remember me, I was the guy wearing a pink hoodie

:)

After that PCAT I don't feel like I have a chance with my 3.2 gpa,

the only thing is, hopefully all my EC's can make up for it..

I was wondering if you have a better chance of getting into UBC pharmacy if you apply straight from UBC and not from other universities.

how did you find out UBC was implementing MMI style interview this year?

I called in with UBC Pharmacy Office and confirmed that this year they're going ahead with the MMI format. I've been talking to a few UBC med students who have went through this style for years and it sounds interesting to say the least.

Just for the sake of getting some discussion started, what are your guys' thoughts on them changing the interview style? Is everyone ready with application deadline nearing? I'm quite nervous about submitting my personal statements, to be honest.

Im starting to stress about the deadline, still have some touchups to do on the resume sections, and my personal statements to write, but ill get there eventually.

I'm a little disappointed that they're changing the interviews, should be interesting for sure. I don't know what to expect in the way of questions. Do you think they'll be more situational questions? im not sure what to expect

for those who applied for than once, did u use the same answers for ur personal statements? because this year they used the same questions from last cycle.

By personal statements, do you guys mean the reference letters? And do we need to send them a resume? It doesn't say that on the website!

Who are you getting to fill out the reference letter? I'm having a hard time deciding...

By personal statements, do you guys mean the reference letters? And do we need to send them a resume? It doesn't say that on the website!

Who are you getting to fill out the reference letter? I'm having a hard time deciding...

ummmm the resume portion and personal statements are a huge part of the application, if you havent started that yet i'd get on it asap. and the reference letters have to be recieved in van by the 28th..... times running out

I called in with UBC Pharmacy Office and confirmed that this year they're going ahead with the MMI format. I've been talking to a few UBC med students who have went through this style for years and it sounds interesting to say the least.

Just for the sake of getting some discussion started, what are your guys' thoughts on them changing the interview style? Is everyone ready with application deadline nearing? I'm quite nervous about submitting my personal statements, to be honest.

Hi there, they also told me that they are changing the format to MMI this year, but do you know the details? Like, how many stations, how long we have to read the questions, how long to answer?

It'll be good to get some practice with this format beforehand!

Did you all have to apply to UBC first and pay 60 dollars and then pay $125 for the pharmacy application? .. It's my first time applying so I'm just making sure.

And for the resume, what if you can't find the number of a person that they can call to verify.. is it just optional?

Did you all have to apply to UBC first and pay 60 dollars and then pay $125 for the pharmacy application? .. It's my first time applying so I'm just making sure.

And for the resume, what if you can't find the number of a person that they can call to verify.. is it just optional?

hmm I recall paying around 100 and 125..

Is anyone else having trouble with the pharmacy application site?

I have trouble logging in the website as well, it saids its "disabled". I tried to contact Margaret but she is away until wednesday >_> Does that mean they no longer accept any applicants? I'm nervous:scared::scared::scared:

How far are u on ur appliction?did u finish ur 2 personal statement essays yet?

Is anyone else having trouble with the pharmacy application site?

Yea I've been getting the Database Error thing:

'The Online Application database is down. Please stand by.'

Good I submitted my application.. one thing wrong was my name.. I realized I entered it wrong when I finished paying...argh..

I just called them, and they said that the IT are working on it... and hopefully it will be up and running tmr...

for those who applied for than once, did u use the same answers for ur personal statements? because this year they used the same questions from last cycle.

Hey for your personal statements, did u write it in an essay format? with like an intro, body and conclusion? or was it just like a couple paragraphs put together?

does anyone know if the "interm transcripts" are also due by feb 28?

UBC website just says:
An interim official transcript (after the Fall term has been completed) from the applicant's current institution. Deadline: As soon as available from your institution (typically in January/February, but no earlier than January 15)

I wonder why the interm transcripts wouldnt be due at the same time as our aplication deadline.

hey just an update on the application issue, Margaret said she will extend the application deadline to wednesday march 3rd at 5pm. :D

UBC website just says:
An interim official transcript (after the Fall term has been completed) from the applicant's current institution. Deadline: As soon as available from your institution (typically in January/February, but no earlier than January 15)

I wonder why the interm transcripts wouldnt be due at the same time as our aplication deadline.

I'm not sure about that... but If you're a UBC student, I don't think you have to worry about that because they do it for you (I didn't have to send in my transcript last year).

same here. I don't have their phone numbers and many of the places where i volunteer at in previous years have changed their members so they have no clue who i am . . .

anyone have a rough idea how much tuition will be for the 4 year program?

hey good news, the application site is working again! and the deadline has been extended to march3rd =)

UBC website just says:

Deadline: As soon as available from your institution

I guess it would be because people come from different institutions and they might have their interim reports available a bit later maybe mid-feb.

I would assume it would be no later than mar 3rd though..