UBC Pre-pharmacy 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would also like to know your pre-req GPA :)

On the site it says last year the avg gpa was 78-80%, Im wondering if I should apply this year or next year because my gpa is pretty low.. (74~)

when i got rejected last year my gpa was 77% and my pcat was 82...the accepted average last year was a 81% average and a 86 pcat. However i did get an interview last year.....i thought i did pretty well and still feel like my answers were good when i look back. The only thing i am gonna change this year is have my answers be a little bit more sponteous this year...i think last year i sounded like i was maybe giving a speech lol

But they are for sure changing the interview style to MMI....i know someone who e-mailed ubc and i read the e-mail and it clearly said for the 2010 cycle its gonna be MMI....which i dislike greatly! :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey UBCmicrobi

do you know how many OOP students does UBC accept each year?

How competitive do we have to be to be considered as an OOP?

if we are sitting on 80 + and do 85+ in comp PCAT are we pretty much guranteed interview?

but what is 80 anyway for UBC? A? A-?

To those of you wondering about OOP students, I don't believe UBC has a cap on OOP students so its fairgame for everyone from anywhere within Canada!

But the thing is at UBC they will be teaching according to BC standards and you will be learning about BC regulations. So I think what the admissions comittee may take into consideration is that students from out of province will most likely return to their home province therefore one less pharmacist for BC.... So in the situation that a BC student has all the same stats (ie. GPA, Interview, EC) as a OOP student than the BC student will most likely get the advantage...

To those of you wondering about OOP students, I don't believe UBC has a cap on OOP students so its fairgame for everyone from anywhere within Canada!

But the thing is at UBC they will be teaching according to BC standards and you will be learning about BC regulations. So I think what the admissions comittee may take into consideration is that students from out of province will most likely return to their home province therefore one less pharmacist for BC.... So in the situation that a BC student has all the same stats (ie. GPA, Interview, EC) as a OOP student than the BC student will most likely get the advantage...

Thank you so much huhwut!!! your post really answered my question. I have actually talked to one of the admission advisors and she told me something similar too so I think you are correct.

As for me, my parents are moving to BC really soon and although I have been in ON for a while, I grew up in parts of BC and AB and hope to move back (possibly Northern BC) so staying and practicing in BC isn't a problem!:cool:

the question admission advisor didn't answer was that my school's grading system goes from 0-9 and from 75%-79% it's a B+ and 80~90% it's A and 90%+ is an A+

What UBC's med school does for conversion is that they use the lowest mark on the grade system to use it... thus although I may have 88% in the course, my letter grade will be A and they might calculate my mark using '80' . How crazy is this? do you think that pharmacy follows the same calculation formula as the UBC med's ?

Members don't see this ad :)
They for sure round you down. For example if you have a an A- in a course which is equal to 80-85% they will give you 80% for that course and same for your other letter grades.
This really bugs me too, because I never got the mimumum to get that particular letter grade...i am always closer to the top of the range......

when i got rejected last year my gpa was 77% and my pcat was 82...the accepted average last year was a 81% average and a 86 pcat. However i did get an interview last year.....i thought i did pretty well and still feel like my answers were good when i look back. The only thing i am gonna change this year is have my answers be a little bit more sponteous this year...i think last year i sounded like i was maybe giving a speech lol

But they are for sure changing the interview style to MMI....i know someone who e-mailed ubc and i read the e-mail and it clearly said for the 2010 cycle its gonna be MMI....which i dislike greatly! :(

Oh gosh. Well hopefully if I do good on my finals for this semester I will have a chance before applying. I think I will do much better next semester so that isn't a problem. So the average was 81.... thanks for sharing that :) I am also so nervous about the PCAT, its gonna be my first time writing it and I haven't touched up on orgo chem because Ive been too busy.. I wont ask you what kinda questions they asked you (for obvious reasons), but what was it like? Did it seem like they were starting though you? I get so nervousw in those situations, especially if they ask a question and I 'stall' with silence... :(

Last edited:
Hey whats up guys,

Im going to be applying this year aswell. So far my average is about 83 which I think is pretty good. I still got to write the PCAT so hoping that goes well!:laugh: I've also got about a 1.5 years of experience at a local pharmacy which ive been volunteering at.

Just wondering for those who wrote PCAT in october is it really that hard? Two of my cousins who went through pharmacy at ubc told me it wasnt that bad.

Hey whats up guys,

Im going to be applying this year aswell. So far my average is about 83 which I think is pretty good. I still got to write the PCAT so hoping that goes well!:laugh: I've also got about a 1.5 years of experience at a local pharmacy which ive been volunteering at.

Just wondering for those who wrote PCAT in october is it really that hard? Two of my cousins who went through pharmacy at ubc told me it wasnt that bad.

Is not a hard test, the timing of each sections makes it hard i think. how many years of school have you completed?because if your in first year the chem section may be hard because you haven't done any organic chem...

Hey guys

Just wanted to know your opinion of my chances of getting into UofT and UBC pharmacy school. I have an average of about 80 on my pre reqs and I haven't taken the PCAT yet. I have 1 month experience in a pharmaceutical factory and 1 month experience in a pharmacy. I am also currently volunteering at the Kelowna General Hospital. Do you think I have a good chance of getting into either of them? I study at UBC, Okanagan. And I'm in first year.

Thanks.. Good luck on your apps!

Hey guys

Just wanted to know your opinion of my chances of getting into UofT and UBC pharmacy school. I have an average of about 80 on my pre reqs and I haven't taken the PCAT yet. I have 1 month experience in a pharmaceutical factory and 1 month experience in a pharmacy. I am also currently volunteering at the Kelowna General Hospital. Do you think I have a good chance of getting into either of them? I study at UBC, Okanagan. And I'm in first year.

Thanks.. Good luck on your apps!

Assuming that you are from BC

U of T is very very very hard to get in as a OOP student

they only pick like >5 every year and your GPA has to be super competitive, since they look at your cGPA including every single course you've taken since university.

you should have a solid chance at UBC for getting an interview.

Hey guys, I just have a question about how they calculate the admissions averages. I know they take all the core courses but do they also count "pharmacy approved" electives like bio 335 and microbio 302?

Hi everyone!

Seems that I found this thread late. I am also in first year science at UBC like many of you. I wrote my PCAT in August, and I used Kaplan. For o-chem, just look through the chem textbook...I also did some google work for the stuff I didn't understand. It wasn't that bad considering I hadn't even taken any university level or AP/IB courses yet.

I don't have any pharmacy experience, but I hope I can still be competitive enough. Is it true that UBC takes a lot fewer first years than older years?

Just wondering, why is everyone else choosing pharmacy? :D

Are you sure? who told you that they will accept more older one ?

Hi everyone!

Seems that I found this thread late. I am also in first year science at UBC like many of you. I wrote my PCAT in August, and I used Kaplan. For o-chem, just look through the chem textbook...I also did some google work for the stuff I didn't understand. It wasn't that bad considering I hadn't even taken any university level or AP/IB courses yet.

I don't have any pharmacy experience, but I hope I can still be competitive enough. Is it true that UBC takes a lot fewer first years than older years?

Just wondering, why is everyone else choosing pharmacy? :D

I don't think they have any preference for younger vs older years as long as you have completed all the pre-reqs. That being said, I believe that the make up of my class is roughly 1/3 students who completed only 1 year of university, and 2/3 greater than 1 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys

I have a question.

I am applying UBC pharm this year and I forgot to add UBC as a school receiept for Jan PCAT. I know I need to add it now, but my question is ...

I already have Oct PCAT score sent to UBC and the composite wasn't too bad.
I was going to wait for Jan PCAT to see if mark improved and if it did, then submit the new one.
Would it be too late to submit Jan PCAT if I wait to see the result first and decide to report it?

Looks like PCAT score deadline for UBC is Apr 1, and I expect to get my Jan score in late Feb or early March,,, so I still have 3 weeks to send it... don't I? It looks risky thinking that 2 additional weeks may take according to Pearson...hmm..

Please help me here ~ smart ppl~!!

Last edited:
Hey guys..

Just wondering if those who got into UBC pharmacy school would mind sharing about how much their average was and their composite on the PCAT?

Just the region in which they scored.. not specifically their score.. so that us pre-pharmacy students can have an idea of what to aim at..

Thanks.

Hi guys

I have a question.

I am applying UBC pharm this year and I forgot to add UBC as a school receiept for Jan PCAT. I know I need to add it now, but my question is ...

I already have Oct PCAT score sent to UBC and the composite wasn't too bad.
I was going to wait for Jan PCAT to see if mark improved and if it did, then submit the new one.
Would it be too late to submit Jan PCAT if I wait to see the result first and decide to report it?

Looks like PCAT score deadline for UBC is Apr 1, and I expect to get my Jan score in late Feb or early March,,, so I still have 3 weeks to send it... don't I? It looks risky thinking that 2 additional weeks may take according to Pearson...hmm..

Please help me here ~ smart ppl~!!

From the UBC Pharmacy site:

Q: What scores are used if I take the PCAT again?
A: The most recent report is used.

Hey,
Yes. It says the most recent score...among the "reported" ones

In pcat, we can select not to report it by simply not selecting the school in the transcript request. So even if you wrote Jan PCAT, your most recent score would be the previous one.

hm...Unless UBC can access our PCAT history and check to see the most recent on their own...?

Last edited:
Hey guys..

Just wondering if those who got into UBC pharmacy school would mind sharing about how much their average was and their composite on the PCAT?

Just the region in which they scored.. not specifically their score.. so that us pre-pharmacy students can have an idea of what to aim at..

Thanks.

I had roughly a 78% average and an 85% PCAT composite score and made it in. Keep in mind that the interview plays a big part in being admitted. I think it's safe to go by what is stated on the UBC pharmacy FAQ's page. 75-80% average and 85-90% PCAT

Hey spudly

Thanks for sharing. So far, after one semester, I have an average of about 80-81 on my 5 courses. I haven't taken the PCAT yet but i hope i do ok..

If i get at least an 80% composite score on the PCAT, I think I might have a good chance of getting an interview?

Can you please give me a description of what the interview was like? I know this year the format is different (its MMI), but the questions might be similar.

Thanks

MMIs are not quite the same as a traditional interview in the sense they're more applied than asking you direct questions about your interest or comptency... MMIs test you much more on your ability to think on the spot by giving you some scenario that you have to problem-solve by playing out a role. I'm sure there will be more traditional questions too, like "talk about one piece of pharmacy related news you've heard recently" but yeah, problem solving is the big one.

Keep in mind I'm basing this on what I know from the University of Toronto MMIs, they're also doing that this year as a new thing.

Hey spudly

Thanks for sharing. So far, after one semester, I have an average of about 80-81 on my 5 courses. I haven't taken the PCAT yet but i hope i do ok..

If i get at least an 80% composite score on the PCAT, I think I might have a good chance of getting an interview?

Can you please give me a description of what the interview was like? I know this year the format is different (its MMI), but the questions might be similar.

Thanks

yeah I think you would have no problem getting an interview, as long as you also have decent extracurricular/volunteer experience and a decent essay. As for the interview, I honestly have no idea what the MMI is like, you might be able to find out more about it on the UBC med site? I assume it will be very similar questions as what they would ask for med school especially for those that are just based on problem solving and morals etc. (although more pharmacy related).

yeah I think you would have no problem getting an interview, as long as you also have decent extracurricular/volunteer experience and a decent essay. As for the interview, I honestly have no idea what the MMI is like, you might be able to find out more about it on the UBC med site? I assume it will be very similar questions as what they would ask for med school especially for those that are just based on problem solving and morals etc. (although more pharmacy related).

Thanks again spudly.. I have experience at a pharmacy where i worked for about 3 months and I also have experience in a pharmaceutical factory where i worked for one month. I'm also volunteering at the Kelowna General Hospital right now and i have a little more volunteer experience which should be helpful, so i think im covered in that aspect. I'll have to spend a lot of time on my essay so that I can get an interview and from then on I'll just have to prepare well for it. I think i'll just look up on the UBC med site and i'll google it.. thanks for the advice though.. appreciate it

honestly if I were you i would apply this year even if you're not confident in getting in, just to get the interview experience if you are lucky enough to get one! the interview portion is really important!!

Thanks, that would be great to get interview experience. I know I will have a 3.5+ gpa by the end of the year, but even if I don't get in, getting an interview would be awesome! Also, I don't have much volunteer experience.. just started a couple weeks at a old folks home.. but thats all I have. I don't have any other experience in a hospital or pharmacy, I've tried applying at local pharmacies, and they said I would of gotten the job or I could work there as an assistant if I have a better availability. :(

Does anyone know if anyone has gotten into the program without any experience but a high gpa?

hi guys
i'm new these forums but they seem really helpful!
what do you guys think is the LOWEST GPA you can have in order to get an interview with a 90+ PCAT score and some pharmacy experience?

I heard from a friend that his friend got in with 69% GPA and 85 PCAT...

That made me a lot more hopeful.

Any work experience in a pharmacy? Or many volunteer hours ?

I wouldn't say that's typical, but definitely possible if you nail the interview and have lots of experience in a pharmacy or volunteer experience in general.

He had experience ... not sure where, but i believe it was at a pharmacy... so that obviously increased his chances. my pharmacy manager said that pharmacies are currently not hiring or accepting volunteers since pharmacies are basically "saturated" with help. i'd focus on volunteering elsewhere if i can't find a pharmacy-related volunteer position

ps. how did people study for the verbal section?! i scored VERY low on that section :eek::scared:

69? that's really crazy. what' sthe secret?

was he a visible minority or from interior BC or something? just curious

BTW, does anyone know how they mark our extra-currics?

69? that's really crazy. what' sthe secret?

was he a visible minority or from interior BC or something? just curious

BTW, does anyone know how they mark our extra-currics?

I would be really surprised if someone had gotten in with a 69% ( I don't even think u would get an interview honestly )....i didn't get in last year and my gpa was much higher and I had tons of pharmacy experience (over 1000 hours lol)... I think that they dont really care about tech exerperience...all the people I know who have gotten in don't have any tech experience in anyway.

Hey guys what are my chances of getting an interview?

GPA: 3.2
Volunteer exp: a lot, but not pharm exp
lors: I dont really have any good ones... my boss at work & a very good family friend
pcat: taking in january

bballa, I think you'll have a good chance... especially if you're getting a close family friend to write your letter! :)
I'm hearing from some people that pharmacy experience is important, but others just say volunteer experience is fine. So I'm not quite sure. But I'm sure quite a few of us here don't have pharmacy experience, like me.

I was wondering if anyone's started on their online application yet, or for people who have applied before: can we assume that the person who reads our personal statements will read both of them, in order? Because I tend to want to refer to things in my second personal statment that I already explained in detail in the first. To avoid wasting space by explaining things again, do you guys think I could simply assume they will have read the first before the second?

Thanks.

I only know one person who got in to the pharmacy program, shes 22 and she took the pcat twice. She also worked as a pharm tech @ london drugs... which im sure got her the interview.

Oh and I wouldn't assume they read them in order. Assuming they don't it will look very choppy with blank holes, and you wouldn't want that would you? But if they did, well then you can save a lot of space for more important things to write in. Who did you guys put for an inspiration?

I had roughly a 78% average and an 85% PCAT composite score and made it in. Keep in mind that the interview plays a big part in being admitted. I think it's safe to go by what is stated on the UBC pharmacy FAQ's page. 75-80% average and 85-90% PCAT

78% GPA, 76% PCAT composite score, got in.

Interview does play an important role in admission. You can get 95% pcat and a high GPA and still not get in.

Good luck!

no pressure! ahaha

does UBC expect applicants to always carry a full courseload? how many credit hours is that exactly?

Um...my stats from last year:
GPA: 89
PCAT: 87
pharm vol.: none
other vol: some.
got in.
The thing is, it isn't about the quantity of volunteering experience you have, whether it be in a pharmacy or otherwise, the thing is, can you talk about how that volunteering experience made you a better person? Did that volunteering experience help make you become a better leader? Did you learn anything from that experience?

For example: if you did coat check or any kind of volunteering for events. Don't talk about how you learned to calculate money, cause anyone with a calculator can do that. Talk about ... how that helped you improve in customer relations and stuff.

It all about how you can relate you volunteering experience to pharmacy in real life. As long as you do that, you'll be fine.

Oh..and good luck with the interview, like everyone said...that counts A LOT. Dude...some ppl with like....95% GPA and like...99% PCAT did NOT get in and ppl with like...70% GPA and like...65% PCAT got in because of the interview.

Is it just me? Or is this 2010 forum less saturated compared to 2009 and 2008?

Anyone fail any preqs? How do they calculate your admission average when you have failed a course and retook it. I know on the website it says "all attempts are used in the calculation of the admission average". What exactly does that mean?

Anyone fail any preqs? How do they calculate your admission average when you have failed a course and retook it. I know on the website it says "all attempts are used in the calculation of the admission average". What exactly does that mean?

8)

I check this thread like everyday.. heh. Anyways it means they take the AVERAGE of all the courses taken.

For example if you took biology twice and got 46% the first try.. and 98% the second try.. your biology mark would be the average of your 2 attempts, which is in this case 72%.

:)

Is it just me? Or is this 2010 forum less saturated compared to 2009 and 2008?

I think it will pick up once it gets closer to the application due date, as well as towards the interview date.

does anyone know how the interview system works?

like once you get into the interview (300 people)
does the top 150 score in the interview get in or is it a combination of all the scores? (ref letters, GPA, EC, PCAT + itnerview)?

Thanks

My stats
GPA: 77%
PCAT:96%
EC: Tons but none pharmacy related
Ref Letters: Have no freaking clue

only crappy thing: I am an outside of province student

so i think i need a miracle to get in.
oh well...UT now takes PCAT. But BC is so nice! bleh

does anyone know how the interview system works?

like once you get into the interview (300 people)
does the top 150 score in the interview get in or is it a combination of all the scores? (ref letters, GPA, EC, PCAT + itnerview)?

Thanks

My stats
GPA: 77%
PCAT:96%
EC: Tons but none pharmacy related
Ref Letters: Have no freaking clue

It's a combination of all the scores (with interview being a large part)!

as for UT, I think they always looked at the PCAT but now they even have an interviewing process!!!

It's a combination of all the scores (with interview being a large part)!

as for UT, I think they always looked at the PCAT but now they even have an interviewing process!!!

I think UT used to have their own admission test, the UTPAT or something like that but decided to switch over to the PCAT.

Hey guys, I know the application deadline for September 2010 is February 28, 2010. The last PCAT exam that I can do in time for this deadline is the upcoming January one. Do any of you know of any people who had an exception to this deadline? I.e., can you still be asked for an interview if you did all the prerequisites, but did the PCAT after the deadline? Or would I have to wait for the next application cycle?

Hey guys, I know the application deadline for September 2010 is February 28, 2010. The last PCAT exam that I can do in time for this deadline is the upcoming January one. Do any of you know of any people who had an exception to this deadline? I.e., can you still be asked for an interview if you did all the prerequisites, but did the PCAT after the deadline? Or would I have to wait for the next application cycle?

You will have to wait until the next cycle because they will throw your application out when they see you do not have the pcat done. You can always call them and check but I highly doubt it. Goodluck.

Would pharmacists with multiple degrees earn more when they start working? I'm asking that because by the time I will be admitted to Pharmacy (granted that they won't consider late PCAT marks), that would be the year I enter my fourth and last year of my program (MBIM). Should I just complete my degree in BSc?

I know, this may be a controversial topic because money should not equal motivation for pharmacists, but I was just wondering how a completion of a BSc degree would influence my future in pharmacy.