UBC Pharmacy 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
im in!!!.. got my email at 9:12 this morning

Members don't see this ad.

did u get a rejection email jta or have u not received anything yet?

and as far as I know, it would be good to rewrite your personal statement emphasizing on what you have learned this time around as well as what you have done to improve.

Cool. I got in =).

Since I read the previous year's thread for information about the process, I think it would be nice to share some information as a way of giving back to this wonderful community =).

I'm a 4th year SFU Student finishing a B.Sc. degree in
"First Class Joint Honours Business, Joint Honours Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Concentration Marketing"
My GPA for pre-reqs is 78~80%.
My PCAT composite score was 99%.
2 Semesters of COOP, MBB/Business Related.
I have no previous pharmacy experience, and most of my volunteer experience is in clubs like SFU Yours, SFU International Mentorship, SFU Orientation etc.

The invitation came at 9:12a.m., June 29th (a monday) to the SFU Server.

Hope that helps, and I look forward to meeting the future class of 2013 UBC Pharmacy Students in September!

Enjoy the sun, and the rest of your day everyone =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got rejected, I don't know what I did wrong. Maybe my experiences were'nt explained well. I thought I did well on the interview. My best performance.

i got in too ! ahh. so exciting! =) see you all in september.. ps does anyone know when we find out about housing?

Housing... as in which residence? Or which specific unit?

Unfortunately, we won't know our roommates/unit until August. =( But you should know your assigned residence by now (that is unless you haven't accepted your offer and they gave your spot away).

Congrats everybody who made it. =) And those who are on the waitlist, good luck!

I got rejected, I don't know what I did wrong. Maybe my experiences were'nt explained well. I thought I did well on the interview. My best performance.

that sucks man. When they [the faculty] are less busy, send an email to Margaret and ask for your ranking. That will let you know what you have to prepare for for next year (maybe your interview was stellar but application and PCAT not so much?).

Sorry if it was mentioned in previous posts, but for the accepted applicants, when did you have to accept your offer by?

Sorry if it was mentioned in previous posts, but for the accepted applicants, when did you have to accept your offer by?

"no later than Thursday, July 2nd (by the end of the business day)"

Hi anyone with previous expreinece, I am wondering if your program has been updated yet... when I checked the accept/decline offer, I couldn't see anything new there. When will they be updated? When can I register in the STT? I just cannot wait to get started!:)

Hi anyone with previous expreinece, I am wondering if your program has been updated yet... when I checked the accept/decline offer, I couldn't see anything new there. When will they be updated? When can I register in the STT? I just cannot wait to get started!:)

From our offer of admission email:

"Please note that registration dates for 1st year Pharmacy students are July
13th to July 17th. The Undergraduate Admissions Office in Enrolment
Services will begin processing your admission later this week (and may take
some days for them to complete the process, so please be patient). Once
your admission has been processed, you can check your registration date on
the SSC (Student Service Centre), and you will receive an official admission
letter from the Undergraduate Admissions Office."

To those that didn't get in this year and its their first time applying,

This is actually my second year to apply so I definitely say don't worry about not getting in first year, because you can just learn from the experience and improve yourself for next year. Such as adding to your resume or uping your PCAT if u didn't do too great. Also you guys should take the courses that are required for first year pharm, it will really lighten up your load once admitted. For example all i have to do this year are the Pharmacy courses and some electives if I choose to! And doing well in these courses can help improve your GPA!

But definitely if you know you want to do this as a career continue to apply as long as they will accept your application! Its NEVER too late!

To those that didn't get in this year and its their first time applying,

This is actually my second year to apply so I definitely say don't worry about not getting in first year, because you can just learn from the experience and improve yourself for next year. Such as adding to your resume or uping your PCAT if u didn't do too great. Also you guys should take the courses that are required for first year pharm, it will really lighten up your load once admitted. For example all i have to do this year are the Pharmacy courses and some electives if I choose to! And doing well in these courses can help improve your GPA!

But definitely if you know you want to do this as a career continue to apply as long as they will accept your application! Its NEVER too late!

thx for the advice. i am actually debating whether or not to retake my PCAT. i got 73 the first time.

I actually got low 80's for academic portion and low 90's for the PCAT. Maybe its because I don't have any pharmacy experience? Wow, pharmacy experience must be crucial afterall. I just feel tired having to go through this motion again, I thought I did my best and to not even get waitlisted. Maybe I should seek to apply to pharmacy schools other than UBC. I'm not liking UBC very much now. UofT is starting to sound nice, with the pharmD program starting for Sept 2010.

Members don't see this ad :)
thx for the advice. i am actually debating whether or not to retake my PCAT. i got 73 the first time.

I was accepted with a PCAT score of 73. The PCAT is worth around 2-3% after the interview process, so I wouldn't be too worried. I think the thing that counts the most is that you demonstrate a passion to become a pharmacist and that you have the necessary qualities.

I was accepted with a PCAT score of 73. The PCAT is worth around 2-3% after the interview process, so I wouldn't be too worried. I think the thing that counts the most is that you demonstrate a passion to become a pharmacist and that you have the necessary qualities.

kelee, what are you other stats like? pre-req gpa?, EC's etc...

kelee, what are you other stats like? pre-req gpa?, EC's etc...

My Pre-req GPA was 80%, PCAT 73%. My EC consists of martial arts assistant instructor, volunteering at a Pharmacy, volunteering at a carehome and a couple of other small things here and there. So I didn't have a massive amount of EC on my resume.

My Pre-req GPA was 80%, PCAT 73%. My EC consists of martial arts assistant instructor, volunteering at a Pharmacy, volunteering at a carehome and a couple of other small things here and there. So I didn't have a massive amount of EC on my resume.

Thanks!...Congrats on the acceptance!

I actually got low 80's for academic portion and low 90's for the PCAT. Maybe its because I don't have any pharmacy experience? Wow, pharmacy experience must be crucial afterall. I just feel tired having to go through this motion again, I thought I did my best and to not even get waitlisted. Maybe I should seek to apply to pharmacy schools other than UBC. I'm not liking UBC very much now. UofT is starting to sound nice, with the pharmD program starting for Sept 2010.

hey pharm12345, could you please give me a description of your interviewers?

rejected:(
Only in 2nd year though so i'll be back to try again next year.
I knew I bombed the interview but at least i'll be better prepared now.

Housing... as in which residence? Or which specific unit?

Unfortunately, we won't know our roommates/unit until August. =( But you should know your assigned residence by now (that is unless you haven't accepted your offer and they gave your spot away).

Congrats everybody who made it. =) And those who are on the waitlist, good luck!

I mean anything to do with housing, because I haven't heard from UBC since they said they recieved my application, so I haven't heard about any residence I was assigned to, or even offered? I'm confused. This is my first time at UBC too, so maybe that's why? Ahh. I need a place to live and not be a hobo. =(

My interviewers were an asian woman and asian man. They said that they were hired to do interviews and weren't Faculty at the school. They were nice during the interview and wrote everything down furiously when I was talking.

Last edited:
I mean anything to do with housing, because I haven't heard from UBC since they said they recieved my application, so I haven't heard about any residence I was assigned to, or even offered? I'm confused. This is my first time at UBC too, so maybe that's why? Ahh. I need a place to live and not be a hobo. =(

Err, really? I already know which residence that I'm assigned in; not the specific room, but at least which residence (Gage). I had to accept that "offer" awhile ago. You might want to check your application status... as far as I know, the schedule that offers are sent out is not dependent on whether or not you're a UBC/outside applicant.

Actually, which residence did you apply to, was it year-round or just for the winter term?

I applied for winter term. This is stressing me out.. how did you find out, through e-mail? I'm guessing that I should have gotten some kind of e-mail from them, either saying I didn't get a spot, was waitlisted, etc. Who knows. Oh, and I check the status all the time, it just says that my application for housing has been recieved. Eek. Thanks for your help guys.

Yeah, perhaps it's in your Spam folder or something. You can check your status at https://www.housing.ubc.ca/. If something wrong happened, you can beg the people at Housing. They're generally lenient towards people who forget about the deadlines; I don't know about this case though, since it has been awhile.

hey guys!
i applied for pharmacy this year too but unfortuntely didn't get accepted.. i completely messed up my interview :(
i am definitely applying again next year though.

im going into second year in september, so i was wondering, is it completely necessary to take all of the available second year courses that pharmacy students take? chem, microbi, physiology, stat, etc.

would the selection committee give preference to students who have taken ALL of the second year courses? i don't want to take stat and physiology because if i don't get in pharmacy again next year, im going to major in microbi for a while before trying again; there are a lot of pre-reqs in second year for third year microbi so i don't want to overload myself.

hey guys!
i applied for pharmacy this year too but unfortuntely didn't get accepted.. i completely messed up my interview :(
i am definitely applying again next year though.

im going into second year in september, so i was wondering, is it completely necessary to take all of the available second year courses that pharmacy students take? chem, microbi, physiology, stat, etc.

would the selection committee give preference to students who have taken ALL of the second year courses? i don't want to take stat and physiology because if i don't get in pharmacy again next year, im going to major in microbi for a while before trying again; there are a lot of pre-reqs in second year for third year microbi so i don't want to overload myself.

Microbiology was my backup as well haha
As far as I know, you don't need to take all the pre-requisites for Microbiology major. All you need are those 5 core courses, which are Chem233, 205, Biol 200, 201 and Micb202. In my second year, I took those 5 courses and some other courses like Stat203, Chem235, and elective courses. I only had 28 credits, but still got accepted to Micb major and managed to complete 4 of the 1st year pharmacy courses at the same time (because many are overlapping)
You should be able to complete most of the 1st pharmacy courses and microbiology pre-reqs in your second year, so don't worry too much :)
I don't think they have preference to students completing more courses. I think all that matters is your GPA.
Hope that helps :)

I took all the Pharmacy pre-reqs including Anat390/391 and Phyl301 in my second year. So now, for my first year of Pharmacy, I only have to take the Pharmacy courses and perhaps an elective or two. And maybe BIOC300.

Other than that, it's a much lighter course load than it would have been if I didn't take all of those pre-reqs beforehand. I was confident I would enter Pharmacy!

Hi guys, congrats to everyone who got in. As for me, I didn't get an acceptance email but I didn't get a rejection email either. Does anyone know what this means?

I'm in the same boat as u. I assume that either an email failed to deliver or we are on the waitlist.

I applied for winter term. This is stressing me out.. how did you find out, through e-mail? I'm guessing that I should have gotten some kind of e-mail from them, either saying I didn't get a spot, was waitlisted, etc. Who knows. Oh, and I check the status all the time, it just says that my application for housing has been recieved. Eek. Thanks for your help guys.

Hey I applied for winter housing and I haven't heard anything either. I would be new to UBC like you... I asked when they would be sending offers and they said end of June, so if they don't send anything soon I'll ask them. I think it's weird that people who are transfers don't get included in the lottery they do for current UBC students; and we also don't get priority like people coming from high school. Good luck anyways:xf:

I'm in the same boat as u. I assume that either an email failed to deliver or we are on the waitlist.
Do you think we should e-mail/phone Margaret just to confirm? Although she is pretty busy now, too.... argh.

I don't think pharmacy experience matters too much. On the website it says that it is not required and looking at the threads from previous years, many people got in without any experience. And the resume portion counts for less than 10% of the final ranking.

It may have been your interview as thats worth 40% of your ranking. Having pharmacy experience really helps in your interview though, as you can use your experiences to show commitment towards the pharmacy profession and demonstrate that you know what your really getting yourself info.

I just called and checked with Margaret. She told me that she is currently working on some people's application, so we will get the results by the end of today! GOOD LUCK

I just called and checked with Margaret. She told me that she is currently working on some people's application, so we will get the results by the end of today! GOOD LUCK
Thanks for the update. Do you know what she means by "working on" our applications?

My friend who is in Pharmacy suggested that we might be in the group of "Maybes"... and the committee is currently debating over it. Maybe she wasn't too far off...

Thanks for the update. Do you know what she means by "working on" our applications?

My friend who is in Pharmacy suggested that we might be in the group of "Maybes"... and the committee is currently debating over it. Maybe she wasn't too far off...

Maybe. She exactly said "I'm still working on the process of some people's applications and you will know by the end of today" I asked if I was waitlisted and she said no to this question.

Anyone wants to sell me your kaplan book if you have one ? Please pm me.

I am located in the greater vancouver area.

I'm confused, I thought everyone was ranked after the interview? What is there to work on? Just admit the top 150 people, waitlist the 150-160, and reject everyone else.

I'm confused, I thought everyone was ranked after the interview? What is there to work on? Just admit the top 150 people, waitlist the 150-160, and reject everyone else.

Hey guys I am a second year pharm student.

I would say it's possible that there were quite a few applications that were virtual "ties" in the 140-160 range and they are taking longer to make a decision on who will get in, versus who will be waitlisted or rejected. Either that or there's been some kind of error in sending out certain ppl emails.

Hey guys I am a second year pharm student.

I would say it's possible that there were quite a few applications that were virtual "ties" in the 140-160 range and they are taking longer to make a decision on who will get in, versus who will be waitlisted or rejected. Either that or there's been some kind of error in sending out certain ppl emails.

That sounds about right; my other friend in Pharmacy thought so too. Although, being in a group of "Maybes"... ugh, so close, yet so far. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
wow, the email has been sent, I am indeed waitlisted

Ditto. I was hoping for a more definitive answer, but I guess this is better than nothing.

I just got a wait list email..........!!!!!
Oh well.. better than a rejection letter!

Does anyone know how many people are waitlisted?

Does anyone know how many people are waitlisted?

the last time I applied 2 years ago and was waitlisted she told me there were 6 people on the waitlist. that time I think only 3 people were admitted off the waitlist though.

well, I tried asking margaret this time around and she told me that information could not be disclosed, so I guess we need to wait and see.

I m on the waitlist too. the torment continues! my email came at 4 05 :eek: that might not be a good sign..

Hey I applied for winter housing and I haven't heard anything either. I would be new to UBC like you... I asked when they would be sending offers and they said end of June, so if they don't send anything soon I'll ask them. I think it's weird that people who are transfers don't get included in the lottery they do for current UBC students; and we also don't get priority like people coming from high school. Good luck anyways:xf:
I emailed the housing department, and this is what they had to say :
We are currently still sending out offers. As you do not qualify for Priority Access, http://www.housing.ubc.ca/application/priority.htm, you will be placed on our waitlist. It will be generated within the next two weeks. You will be notified by email of your position on the waitlist once it has been compiled.

Arrgh. It sucks that I'll probably have to find a place close to UBC within the next month. Anyway, thanks! & good luck to you too! Maybe your luck will be better than mine. :)

I was wondering if I apply to UBC Pharmacy in 2010, do I need to send them my PCAT scores again, or do they have it on file? And for UofT, if I sent them my PCAT score, but didn't apply the year I sent to them, will they still be able to access my score the next year I apply? Thanks

Pharm12345, u dont need to send ur pcat scores to ubc again, they have them on file, as long as it's within two years prior to an application for admission. I didn't get accepted this year either, but I'll give it another shot for sure next year! Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist.

Is anyone on the waitlist willing to post their stats? Just wanna get an idea of how far off I am.