UBC Pharmacy 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you'll definitely make it much easier for yourself if you have at least 2 years of science under your belt before you apply to pharmacy. That way, you get more time to do extra-curriculars for your resume (eg. volunteer, work etc etc), your course load will be lighter entering pharmacy, and you'll probably be more confident handling your course load. The PCAT also becomes much easier after a year or 2 of science (eg organic chem)...... soooo u had guts to apply this year but you'll probably be way better prepared next year

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, when you went to UBC health services did they already have all your immunization info? I'm not exactly sure what I got/didnt get... also how long did it take to do yours?

They didn't have any info at all. I had to bring every documentation I had from birth onwards. If you don't have the info, I'm sure they'll just do an Ab test. They do a Hep B test for everyone regardless of immunization status anyways. The first time I went in, it took about 30-45 minutes. Then the second time was much faster, the nurse evaluated the TB test, the Hep B test and then injected the vaccine in 10-15 minutes.

Last edited:
you'll definitely make it much easier for yourself if you have at least 2 years of science under your belt before you apply to pharmacy. That way, you get more time to do extra-curriculars for your resume (eg. volunteer, work etc etc), your course load will be lighter entering pharmacy, and you'll probably be more confident handling your course load. The PCAT also becomes much easier after a year or 2 of science (eg organic chem)...... soooo u had guts to apply this year but you'll probably be way better prepared next year

I agree with this totally. In fact, I think students should have a minimum of 2 years university/college for admission...but I digress.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended my first year with a bad mark.... can I retake some of the courses for a higher grade? I hear different things from people, and I'm not sure who's right. And can we retake courses at a college? How? thanks in advance.

you can retake your courses, however all attempts will be counted, this is stated in the UBC pharmacy FAQ.

If you retake courses at a college, I suggest you confirm the equivalencies with Margaret before applying.

I ended my first year with a bad mark.... can I retake some of the courses for a higher grade? I hear different things from people, and I'm not sure who's right. And can we retake courses at a college? How? thanks in advance.

UBC Science doesn't allow students to retake courses that they have passed for the purpose of improving their grade. As far as I know, this only applies to Science classes. So if you did poorly in ENGL110 or 112, you should be alright in retaking those. The others, however, if you passed -- that's it, unfortunately.

ugh. so i just found out i've been waitlisted for housing at ubc. Number 2485 =( so depressing, because I'm moving from lower B.C. and that was pretty much my only option. I'm gonna keep looking for some off-campus housing, but just out of curiosity, anyone looking for a roommate on campus/very close to campus?

ugh. so i just found out i've been waitlisted for housing at ubc. Number 2485 =( so depressing, because I'm moving from lower B.C. and that was pretty much my only option. I'm gonna keep looking for some off-campus housing, but just out of curiosity, anyone looking for a roommate on campus/very close to campus?

For people looking for close to UBC off-campus housing or non-res on-campus housing check out AMS Rentsline

http://www.amsrentsline.com/

That's where I found my current off-campus housing.

Much better site than Craigslist!!

Somebody wanna suggest a specialization for going into year 2? I am having trouble deciding for the coming year, and I am also planning to apply again next year.

Also does anyone on the waiting list know when we'll receive rejections? Since obviously there's not much chance of us getting in at this stage.

Somebody wanna suggest a specialization for going into year 2? I am having trouble deciding for the coming year, and I am also planning to apply again next year.

Also does anyone on the waiting list know when we'll receive rejections? Since obviously there's not much chance of us getting in at this stage.

I would suggest that you would stay in general, so you can focus on your main pharmacy courses without worrying about any other requirements.

I would suggest that you would stay in general, so you can focus on your main pharmacy courses without worrying about any other requirements.
What courses should I take if I stay in general? As far as I know, there are only 4 courses(chem233 which I took this summer, micb202, stat203, and chem 235) that are in the requirements.

Last edited:
UBC Science doesn't allow students to retake courses that they have passed for the purpose of improving their grade. As far as I know, this only applies to Science classes. So if you did poorly in ENGL110 or 112, you should be alright in retaking those. The others, however, if you passed -- that's it, unfortunately.
So then, since the grades I received is not going to change a lot, I should give up going into pharmacy? Is there any alternate way? Or else I'd be really disappointed....

So then, since the grades I received is not going to change a lot, I should give up going into pharmacy? Is there any alternate way? Or else I'd be really disappointed....

I'd confirm this "science doesn't let you re-take to get a better grade" thing with someone in a position of authority before making your plans based on a comment on SDN. Does this apply to Pharmacy, which is the Faculty of Pharmaceitucal Sciences, not the Faculty of Science? It may not affect your GPA on your official transcript, but they may consider re-takes for your admissions average to the Pharmacy program. This is all speculation, so definitely check with an advisor at UBC.

Having said that, re-taking classes may not necessarily improve your application. Doing well in the other required classes can improve your admission average such as:

ANAT 390
ANAT 391
CHEM 233
CHEM 235
MICB 202
PHYL 301
STAT 203
BIOC 300

So in addition to Microbiology, organic chem and stats, the required courses include Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry. Check out the official calendar for course requirements:

http://www.students.ubc.ca/calendar/index.cfm?tree=12,213,397,393

From the FAQs

Q: How is the admissions average calculated?

A: The admissions average is based on the prerequisite courses. For students who have completed any additional courses that are part of the pharmacy curriculum, the grades from those courses will be included in the calculation (e.g. organic chemistry, microbiology, etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
Q: If I have taken a course more than once, do you take the higher grade? </SPAN>
A: If a course has been taken more than once, all attempts are used in the calculation of the admission average.

I found this in the UBC Pharmacy FAQ's. Which leads me to believe that you can take a course more than twice, although it is possible that you can't take a UBC science course twice. If thats the case you could just as easily retake some pre reqs at a college and to be honest, they would probably be alot easier anyways.

I'd confirm this "science doesn't let you re-take to get a better grade" thing with someone in a position of authority before making your plans based on a comment on SDN. Does this apply to Pharmacy, which is the Faculty of Pharmaceitucal Sciences, not the Faculty of Science? It may not affect your GPA on your official transcript, but they may consider re-takes for your admissions average to the Pharmacy program. This is all speculation, so definitely check with an advisor at UBC.

Having said that, re-taking classes may not necessarily improve your application. Doing well in the other required classes can improve your admission average such as:

ANAT 390
ANAT 391
CHEM 233
CHEM 235
MICB 202
PHYL 301
STAT 203
BIOC 300

So in addition to Microbiology, organic chem and stats, the required courses include Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry. Check out the official calendar for course requirements:

http://www.students.ubc.ca/calendar/index.cfm?tree=12,213,397,393

From the FAQs

Q: How is the admissions average calculated?

A: The admissions average is based on the prerequisite courses. For students who have completed any additional courses that are part of the pharmacy curriculum, the grades from those courses will be included in the calculation (e.g. organic chemistry, microbiology, etc.).

Thanks UBCMicrobi~!!
but aren't the 300-level courses kind of... hard for a first year??lol
I mean it wouldn't get easier going up to higher levelled courses??
kind of scared after taking o-chem..

Thanks UBCMicrobi~!!
but aren't the 300-level courses kind of... hard for a first year??lol
I mean it wouldn't get easier going up to higher levelled courses??
kind of scared after taking o-chem..

I'm not sure what year you are in/going into, but in theory your study habits, and foundation of knowledge should improve as you move up with your number of years of study, so third year courses shouldn't be that scary ;)

This mentality is one of the reasons why I think the pharmacy program should require minimum 2 years of undregrad.

(please don't take this as a personal attack though)

Perhaps taking some upper level courses will be less of a challenge if you take fewer classes per semester? (And It'll be a lot harder to take these classes in 1st year pharm along with all the pharmacy courses!!)

I just wanted to let you know there are additional courses you could take to improve your admission average, besides the ones you mentioned, but of course if you are not confident that you will get a "good' grade then taking them would kinda defeat the whole purpose I guess.

In pharmacy, how many credits do I have to have in one winter session in order to be considered a full-time student? I need to maintain this status for tax return purposes.

In pharmacy, how many credits do I have to have in one winter session in order to be considered a full-time student? I need to maintain this status for tax return purposes.

I've actually looked into this since I need to do the same, except to remain interest free with my student loans. You need to take 20 credits.

For people looking for close to UBC off-campus housing or non-res on-campus housing check out AMS Rentsline

http://www.amsrentsline.com/

That's where I found my current off-campus housing.

Much better site than Craigslist!!
Thanks! I've actually already checked that site out.. but i'm gonna keep plugging away at it for newer postings. Can I just say that this board is super helpful! I love it. I also needed to know about the credits thing, so thank you.

:confused:It is quite embarrassing to be honest, but I am thinking of retaking some of my first year courses at a college, not at UBC. Can someone tell me which college offers most of the science courses (chem121, biol121, etc) in UBC? I've never thought of doing this...someone help me out.lol.

:confused:It is quite embarrassing to be honest, but I am thinking of retaking some of my first year courses at a college, not at UBC. Can someone tell me which college offers most of the science courses (chem121, biol121, etc) in UBC? I've never thought of doing this...someone help me out.lol.

Don't retake the courses, just do better in the 2nd year pharm prereqs. Even if you retake first year courses, UBC pharmacy will average both attempts, so you'll only be upgrading by a few % =(

Have you check out: http://www.bctransferguide.ca/ ? This site tells you which university/college can transfer credits to UBC credits. Um...but if you want a specific college, I would say Capilano would be your best bet:
http://www.capilanou.ca/home.html, since alot of my friends are going there and trying to transfer to UBC next year. However...I think it would be better to just retake them at UBC, because if you go to a school with a letter grading system (4.00 etc) you will be at a disadvantage, since UBC uses percentage and they will count your grades as the lower of the letter grade range.

Hey I'm going into second year this coming fall, and i was wondering what courses i should be taking if i want to get into pharmacy.. I'm basically aiming to get into pharmacy and that's it.. I checked the calender and so far I got stats203, chem233/chem235, and micb, the other courses are unfortunately full so I was wondering what other courses do people take as electives?

Hey I'm going into second year this coming fall, and i was wondering what courses i should be taking if i want to get into pharmacy.. I'm basically aiming to get into pharmacy and that's it.. I checked the calender and so far I got stats203, chem233/chem235, and micb, the other courses are unfortunately full so I was wondering what other courses do people take as electives?

Besides the courses for first year pharmacy, you also need to take 18 credits of elective. 6 of these credits can be anything you like, as long as it wasn't used to calculate your GPA for applying for pharmacy. As for the 12 other credits that you can it out of a list of approved pharmacy electives, including:

“Pharmacy-Approved” Elective Courses 2009W

Faculty
Course

Arts
ANTH 227 (3) Culture, Health & Illness
Commerce
(Sauder School of Business)
COMM 457 (3) Fundamentals of Financial Accounting
COMM 458 (3) Fundamentals of Managerial Accounting
Science
BIOL 334 (3) Basic Genetics
BIOL 335 (3) Molecular Genetics
Land and Food Systems
FNH 200 (3) Exploring our Food
FNH 250 (3) Nutritional Concepts & Controversies
FNH 350 (3) Fundamentals of Nutrition
FNH 351 (3) Vitamins, Minerals, and Health
FNH 355 (3) World Problems in Nutrition
FNH 370 (2) Nutrition Assessment
FNH 371 (3) Human Nutrition over the Life Span

FNH 451 (3) Nutrient Metabolism and Implications for Health
FNH 470 (4) Nutrition and Disease
FNH 473 (3) Nutrition Education in the Community
FNH 475 (3) Advanced Topics in Clinical Nutrition

College of Health Disciplines
All IHHS courses are acceptable
Arts
GEOG 331 (3) Geography of Health and Health Care
Science
MICB 302 (3) Immunology
MICB 306 (3) Molecular Virology
MICB 402 (3) Advanced Immunology
MICB 403 (3) Molecular Bacterial Pathogenesis
MICB 407 (3) Viral Infections in Humans
MICB 409 (3) Microbial Genetics
Pharmacy
PHAR 405 (2-6) Problems in Clinical Pharmacy
PHAR 408 (4) Clinical Pharmacokinetics
PHAR 414 (6) Problems in Pharmaceutics & Biopharmaceutics
PHAR 415 (4) Topics in Pharmaceutics & Biopharmaceutics
PHAR 426 (6) Problems in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
PHAR 440 (3) Pain Research and Therapy
PHAR 444 (6) Problems in Pharmacology
PHAR 448 (3) Environmental and Cellular Toxicology
PHAR 450 (2-6) Selected Topics
PHAR 450B Sec 019 (3) Drug Safety
PHAR 453 (2-6) Directed Studies in Pharmacy Practice
PHAR 455 (3) Pharmacy in Canada’s Health Care System (not offered in 09/10)
PHAR 456 (3) Introduction to Pharmacoeconomics and Health Technology Assessment

Medicine
PATH 417 (3) Bacterial Infection in Humans
PATH 427 (3) Basic Principles of Infection Prevention and Control
PATH 437 (3) Viral Infections in Humans
Arts
PHIL 433A (3) Biomedical Ethics
PHIL 434 (3) Business and Professional Ethics
Arts
PSYC 314 (3) Health Psychology
PSYC 300 (3/6) d Behaviour Disorders
PSYC 302 (3) Infancy
PSYC 304 (6) Brain and Behaviour
PSYC 308 (3/6) d Social Psychology
PSYC 315 (3) Childhood and Adolescence
PSYC 322 (3) Adulthood and Aging
PSYC 360 (6) Biopsychology
PSYC 367 (3) Sensory Systems

So, I am guessing if you took that before you got into pharmacy, they would count it?
Oh..and for people wondering, that list came from the word document that they send you when you get your acceptance offer.

Um..so I have a question, when do we have to turn in our immunization sheets?

Ah, I`m not in pharmacy yet :laugh:
I`m looking for electives that will help boost my GPA when I apply next year

How many pharmacy electives are most of you signing up for in the first year?

Ah, I`m not in pharmacy yet :laugh:
I`m looking for electives that will help boost my GPA when I apply next year

Pharmacy doesn't count electives towards your prerequisite admission GPA...Stick to Anatomy and the other Pharmacy pre-req non-elective courses.

Have you check out: http://www.bctransferguide.ca/ ? This site tells you which university/college can transfer credits to UBC credits. Um...but if you want a specific college, I would say Capilano would be your best bet:
http://www.capilanou.ca/home.html, since alot of my friends are going there and trying to transfer to UBC next year. However...I think it would be better to just retake them at UBC, because if you go to a school with a letter grading system (4.00 etc) you will be at a disadvantage, since UBC uses percentage and they will count your grades as the lower of the letter grade range.

But isn't it still much easier to take them at a college than at UBC?

Hey I got an email saying,
To all 1st year Pharmacy students,

If you encounter any messages stated that you have not satisfied all
the requirements for PHYL 301, please check and make sure your name
is on the class list (01P). If your name is on the class list, then
ignore the message. If you cannot get your name on the list then
contact us.

Where's the list? or if it says "registered", is it okay?

But isn't it still much easier to take them at a college than at UBC?

Your question should be "but won't I learn more, get better instruction and more individual attention, be in a more positive learning environment and therefore have a better chance of success at a college than at UBC?"

Organic chem etc are not "easy" classes regardless of where you take them. You've still got to work your ass off to get a high grade (unless you're one of those people that is just comes naturally to, but then you wouldn't be in this situation).

I took Organic chem and other 1st and 2nd year science courses at Langara, and I think I can safely say I would not have done as well if I had taken them at UBC* (which is a sad reflection on the state of teaching at UBC and the whole "weeder" mentality as opposed to the emphasis on teaching and learning...). But these classes were by no means "easy" just because I took them at a so-called "Community College" for slackers and ******s who couldn't get into UBC*.

In theory, if you re-take them at UBC you should improve your grade since you have already been exposed to the material (and hopefully have improved your study habits, if that contributed at all to your less-than stellar marks). And for the same reasons you should do better if you re-take them at a college, but they won't simply be easier because they are at a college, but perhaps you will have a better experience because of some of the reasons I have mentioned above that make for a better learning environment.

I'm sure you realize that re-taking a class to get a better grade is going to take some work, but they way you have phrased that question is somewhat naive, so please don't take this as a personal attack. I know there are a lot of other students in the same boat and wondering if re-taking at a college is the way to go. Because I actually took classes at a college I can offer first hand advice and help to dispel this myth that college is "easier". It's not easier per se, but probably somewhat less of a hell hole than UBC 1st/2nd year sci :)

Good luck.

* after a brief break after HS, I went to Langara, and eventually transferred into 3rd year at UBC; I had no desire to go to UBC after HS.

Hi guys,
Just a question...i was wondering if ubc has already gotten everyone to accept their offers and register into their courses? Like i am a waitlist person and i know that i probably won't be in this year but i just wanna get like a response from them like a rejection email so i can stop waiting and move on with my summer.
Otherwise, do you guys suggest that I should ask Margaret or should I just continue to wait patiently?

Your question should be "but won't I learn more, get better instruction and more individual attention, be in a more positive learning environment and therefore have a better chance of success at a college than at UBC?"

Organic chem etc are not "easy" classes regardless of where you take them. You've still got to work your ass off to get a high grade (unless you're one of those people that is just comes naturally to, but then you wouldn't be in this situation).

I took Organic chem and other 1st and 2nd year science courses at Langara, and I think I can safely say I would not have done as well if I had taken them at UBC* (which is a sad reflection on the state of teaching at UBC and the whole "weeder" mentality as opposed to the emphasis on teaching and learning...). But these classes were by no means "easy" just because I took them at a so-called "Community College" for slackers and ******s who couldn't get into UBC*.

In theory, if you re-take them at UBC you should improve your grade since you have already been exposed to the material (and hopefully have improved your study habits, if that contributed at all to your less-than stellar marks). And for the same reasons you should do better if you re-take them at a college, but they won't simply be easier because they are at a college, but perhaps you will have a better experience because of some of the reasons I have mentioned above that make for a better learning environment.

I'm sure you realize that re-taking a class to get a better grade is going to take some work, but they way you have phrased that question is somewhat naive, so please don't take this as a personal attack. I know there are a lot of other students in the same boat and wondering if re-taking at a college is the way to go. Because I actually took classes at a college I can offer first hand advice and help to dispel this myth that college is "easier". It's not easier per se, but probably somewhat less of a hell hole than UBC 1st/2nd year sci :)

Good luck.

* after a brief break after HS, I went to Langara, and eventually transferred into 3rd year at UBC; I had no desire to go to UBC after HS.

Thanks for your thoughtful advice again~!:)
Good learning environment, more individual attention, etc are important too, but the number one thing to me right now is getting a good grade, to be honest.

Anyways, has anyone actually re-taken a science course? I got an e-mailed saying that the faculty of science does not allow their students to re-take science courses when they have passed them.

Thanks for your thoughtful advice again~!:)
Good learning environment, more individual attention, etc are important too, but the number one thing to me right now is getting a good grade, to be honest.

Anyways, has anyone actually re-taken a science course? I got an e-mailed saying that the faculty of science does not allow their students to re-take science courses when they have passed them.

Um...I think that UBC science lets you retake courses if you go in and talk to them personally, and I think you have to sign a statement saying that you know that you are not extra credits for the other courses (for example taking Bio 112 twice does not equal 6 credits of Bio 112). But I don't know for certain, this is just what I heard from a friend that is also planning to retake a course so she has a better chance of getting into pharmacy.
I had to do something like that in the beginning of first year, because I registered for ApSci, so we didn't get credit for chem 111/113 or chem 121/123, so they wouldn't let me register on ssc. But I called them and they put me in after I signed a statement stating that I knew what I was doing, and I wouldn't like...sue UBC for not advising me well.
But still, I'm not 100% sure about the situation that you are taking about, so I would call them and make sure.

Oh, ps. What teacher did you have for the courses you want to retake? Because there are definately some teachers that you sure avoid at all cost, so yeah...if you tell me, maybe I can suggest a teacher?

Does everyone have a different registration date and time? I jsut tested my registration on the ssc, and it said that for the standard time table for pharmacy, that it was full. How is this possible, if everyone has the same registration date and time?

edit: nevermind, ijust realized that registration started today for some people. I just hope that there's room left still in the classes that I need- for example, PHYL 301, says there's only 20 something seats left, but i need this course for first yr, so what happens if idont get in?! ahh.

Last edited:
Does everyone have a different registration date and time? I jsut tested my registration on the ssc, and it said that for the standard time table for pharmacy, that it was full. How is this possible, if everyone has the same registration date and time?

edit: nevermind, ijust realized that registration started today for some people. I just hope that there's room left still in the classes that I need- for example, PHYL 301, says there's only 20 something seats left, but i need this course for first yr, so what happens if idont get in?! ahh.

Um...call Margaret? I'm sure they won't leave you out in. They will probably just add a seat or two, if there aren't enough spaces in phyl 301.

^ Thanks. I was able to successfully register for that. =) Did anyone register for Microbi 201/202? It wouldnt let me register for 201. =/

Was anyone successful in registering in FNH courses or Psyc courses? What do you do if you can't get into these courses?

Was anyone successful in registering in FNH courses or Psyc courses? What do you do if you can't get into these courses?

I couldn't seem to register for any electives, they were either full or required 2nd year standing. I took the 2nd year pharmacy electives last year so that I could get some of the electives done but it doesn't seem to be working out that way unfortunately.

I couldn't seem to register for any electives, they were either full or required 2nd year standing. I took the 2nd year pharmacy electives last year so that I could get some of the electives done but it doesn't seem to be working out that way unfortunately.
I was only able to register for Phil 433A. There's still some spots left open.

What do you guys think is better? Taking BIOL 201 and BIOC 302 together or just BIOC 300 next year?

What do you guys think is better? Taking BIOL 201 and BIOC 302 together or just BIOC 300 next year?

Quite a few students in my year are taking Bioc 300 in the summer after P1 pharm (ie right now), so that might be an option to consider. I sure as hell would not want to take Bioc 300 during the regular semester P2, as the P2 year is a lot more intense, so definitely do some Bioc before you start pharm if you can!! :) I think you'd have to be insane to put off Bioc until P2!!! (sorry not sure if you are pre-pharm or starting pharm in the fall, too many SDNers too keep track of)

Thankfully I've already taken Bioc 302 and the equivalent of Biol 201 at Langara. Bioc 302 wasn't too bad (I suspect easier than 300, but that's just my guess). I personally like the idea of taking 2 3 credit classes instead of one 6 credit class. For me, year long classes just seem sooo long and drawn out and there is that additional pressure of a single "midterm" in Dec that is a semester's worth of material (not sure if this is how Bioc 300 is structured, but that's the way other 6 credit courses are anyway). Then again you may like the idea of one less midterm in the middle of the semster...has it's pros and cons I guess :)

Hey guys, I need help.
I'm a first yr going into 2nd yr in September. I had planned on getting into pharmacy, but I only got 68% in my first year.:mad: (was surprised at all u guys's marks, most of them being over 75!!) I kind of lost my hope for getting into pharmacy because, by observing the replies in this forum, it seems like retaking courses is not allowed and wouldn't help too much anyways. So, I'm think of transferring into commerce in third year. I've taken Math104 and Eng112 and did a solid job on them. I just need to take econs and do lots of EC next yr to meet the requirement. Does that sound good? what do you guys think? should I still aim for pharmacy when my gpa is this low??

Well in order to get into pharmacy next year, then you will need to have confidence to improve your gpa about 8-10% using whatever first year pharmacy courses that you can get your hands on. This is your main challenge since your course registration date is pushed back due to your first year grade, therefore you might not get to register in some of those courses.

As well, you would likely need a 90%+ PCAT score, as well as at least 40 hours of volunteer experience in a pharmacy, not to mention other EC that demonstrates your leadership, compassion, initiative, etc.

So, your chances would be a little slim for pharmacy after second year, however you might have a chance at third year.

Well in order to get into pharmacy next year, then you will need to have confidence to improve your gpa about 8-10% using whatever first year pharmacy courses that you can get your hands on. This is your main challenge since your course registration date is pushed back due to your first year grade, therefore you might not get to register in some of those courses.

As well, you would likely need a 90%+ PCAT score, as well as at least 40 hours of volunteer experience in a pharmacy, not to mention other EC that demonstrates your leadership, compassion, initiative, etc.

So, your chances would be a little slim for pharmacy after second year, however you might have a chance at third year.

Why do I have a better chance at third year? Is it because I can have more EC and work experience?
And do you know if my chance of transferring to Commerce is slim based on what I've said?

Hey guys, I need help.
I'm a first yr going into 2nd yr in September. I had planned on getting into pharmacy, but I only got 68% in my first year.:mad: (was surprised at all u guys's marks, most of them being over 75!!) I kind of lost my hope for getting into pharmacy because, by observing the replies in this forum, it seems like retaking courses is not allowed and wouldn't help too much anyways. So, I'm think of transferring into commerce in third year. I've taken Math104 and Eng112 and did a solid job on them. I just need to take econs and do lots of EC next yr to meet the requirement. Does that sound good? what do you guys think? should I still aim for pharmacy when my gpa is this low??

you don't necessarily have to boost your gpa up by that much, maybe by like 4% and you could have a chance (as my gpa was 71%). as far as your EC and PCAT go, i'm pretty sure those will mostly be for getting an interview because in the end they don't really contribute too much on your overall score. personally i had no pharmacy experience, but my pcat was still high enough to get me an interview. once you have an interview just make sure you really prepare for it since you'll already be at a disadvantage gpa wise.

yeah you would want to have 70% at the very minimum as I really don't think they except anyone with an average lower than that, and only a handful of students will get in with much less than 75%.

I was only able to register for Phil 433A. There's still some spots left open.

Hey, I signed up for phill 433A and phil 434A too. Both online courses. I think im gonna drop 433 and take 434 though.. just seems more interesting.

Hey guys, I need help.

I think you should take some of the courses that are needed in P1, and this way it will hopefully boost your GPA, also at the same time take the 2 econ courses that you need to get into saunders, and take some fluff courses to make your GPA higher.
You have to watch out for the econ courses, because while you may have done good in math 104 and engl 112, that doesn't mean that econ will be a breeze. I lived in dorm last year, and I could hear how many people were complaining about their econs last year. So..yeah..I would definately watch out when I am in that coures. Get a friend who already took the course help you find an easier teacher, or go on rate my prof, because I heard that there is one prof that is ok, and one that is KILLER. but yeah...
um....make sure you have alot of ec (this is helpful for both pharm and saunders). You don't really need to do anything thats 100% related to pharmacy to get in. Your best best might be to tutor at your old high school or something, because that gives you a chance to interact with other people (helping them with subject- related to pharmacy, managing a bunch of kids- related to business + education is the most blooming business right now, which how many teaching stuff availible), and this will give you all the possiblities of getting ups and downs about a job/your performance, which you can use as experience when dealing with your statements and interviews.
But also...if you want to do business as a back up next year, I would join some business clubs, and get some exec seatings. Becuase while you might not do much, you still get the credits, and when actually talking, you can use your experience from your tutoring as a substitute.

So I suggest, you apply for pharmacy as your first choice and apply to business as your second, when you do a change of degree thing.

oh...and since you are first year this year, you might have been in the same boat as me. references from your high school teacher might be best, because they knew you so well. especially if you take my advice and tutor there. Because seriously? getting a volunteering job on UBC campus? forget it, I have been trying the whole year. Unless you going a volunteering club, then there is a chance (Examples=ACG, World Vision) etc.

If anybody is trying to look for a place to volunteer at, I highly recommend checking out "govolunteer.ca". Lots of opportunities out there related to pharmacy and health care.

Hey everyone, I am taking ECON 102 right now and does anyone know if it will count towards my GPA (for registration date, honors, etc) if i do poorly in this class? I have already satisfied the non pharmacy electives with either 2 of chem 205 biol 200 and geob103 so econ will not be part of that category of electives. Any advice is greatly appreciated.