UBC 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I ask how much you pay for this housing? Do you mean Wesbrook Place?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering what the vaccination shots are all about?
Where do we supposed to get the shots?? Do we have to pay for them??:scared:

I was wondering what the vaccination shots are all about?
Where do we supposed to get the shots?? Do we have to pay for them??:scared:

Because we will be working in an environment where we could encounter people with communicable diseases, we have to be fully immunized. Hopefully, you received most of the required vaccines throughout your life. Some you probably would not have to pay for, many I got at school throughout the years for no cost. I went to the health unit where I have had all mine done and got them to fill out the paperwork for me. I still had to have one additional measles, mumps, and rubella shot (3 in 1). That shot was free. I also got a tuberculin skin test for TB done and have to go back to the clinic tomorrow after 48 hours so that the nurse can record the results. The TB test is $20.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask how much you pay for this housing? Do you mean Wesbrook Place?

It's called westpoint, it is being built right behind gage towers. Prices really range depending what floor you are on and how big the suite is.. but on average I would say a grand a month.

It's called westpoint, it is being built right behind gage towers. Prices really range depending what floor you are on and how big the suite is.. but on average I would say a grand a month.

Thanks for the info. I was pondering a move to campus, but I can never figure out how people get into the non-dorm housing, they seem to get snapped up really quickly. Is this "market housing"? I can't seem to find anything about this residence on the UBC site or via google, so if you have a link that would be great.

Never mind, found it via ams rentsline ;)

Last edited:
UBCmicro!
Actually all the marine dr. building res. is also year_round that is unlike other res buildings u stay there for full year and to renew u don't need to fill up application and be considered. You basically tell them you will stay for another year and the room will be yours for another year. The 4 bedroom shared are 680 per month and you have private bathroom. They also have bach. suits which runs for higher price as there is a highrise and a low rise, lowrise being the 4 bedroom shared houses.

UBCmicro!
Actually all the marine dr. building res. is also year_round that is unlike other res buildings u stay there for full year and to renew u don't need to fill up application and be considered. You basically tell them you will stay for another year and the room will be yours for another year. The 4 bedroom shared are 680 per month and you have private bathroom. They also have bach. suits which runs for higher price as there is a highrise and a low rise, lowrise being the 4 bedroom shared houses.

Didn't realize Marine Drive had bachelor suites (I don't do room-mates, to old for that ****). I'm definitely more interested in "market housing" than UBC operated student housing/residence, but thanks for the info anyhow.

I have seen u saying the word old before, I think my presence in the class will make you feel young, lol. I just don't like to think of myself as old.

I have seen u saying the word old before, I think my presence in the class will make you feel young, lol. I just don't like to think of myself as old.

it's all relative; I use the word in a kinda joking way (to describe myself), no judgement on anyone else young or old, good or bad. But I think it's safe to say I'll be one of the "older" students, but probably not the oldest (there is always at least one really old person. Kidding!!)

No, I didn't think u r judgmental at all. I guess I was just making a joke.

Also I'm not one that really old person,lol. We are probably around the same age.

No, I didn't think u r judgmental at all. I guess I was just making a joke.

ah, no worries, I knew you were joking too. But seriously, there are some young people in our class (ie highschool grad 07), now that makes me feel old ;) But that's the thing I like about Van/UBC, lots of diversity.

What year did you grad UBCmicro? It's cool how there will be students who are only one year out of highschool to students who already have a bachelor's. I graduated in '06 so I will definitely be on the younger side.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree with you on that. I actually was working quite a few years before going back to school.

What year did you grad UBCmicro? It's cool how there will be students who are only one year out of highschool to students who already have a bachelor's. I graduated in '06 so I will definitely be on the younger side.

'00 (first grad of the new millennium yay!)

I totally agree with you on that. I actually was working quite a few years before going back to school.

I took a bit of time off after highschool, then did part time at Langara while working PT, then UBC and took a year off after I graduated last year. I'm somewhat of a chronic student ;)

I think it is great that we all have different backgrounds and experiences. I was accepted to MUN in Newfoundland (and interviewed at Dal in Halifax also), and I was a bit put off by the prospect of going to school nearly exclusively with people who all grew up in the same small towns, went to HS together, all had the same small town/East coast life experiences and were all 06/07 HS grads (not to mention all white).

00 is the high school grad? If that's the case mine is 1998,
But you know at least I can say after all the years of wondering, I'm certain that this major is what I really want, and hopefully will be able to be quite productive in it. I'm sure it will be the same way for you too.

00 is the high school grad? If that's the case mine is 1998,
But you know at least I can say after all the years of wondering, I'm certain that this major is what I really want, and hopefully will be able to be quite productive in it. I'm sure it will be the same way for you too.

Yes, '00 is the HS grad. My sister and ex/best friend are '98 HS grads, so much love for that age group. They have their 10 year reunions this summer.

I'm definitely more certain of what I want from life at this point. A year or two out of HS I was clueless, but props to those that figured it out early in life.

You know I really never get to have one of those reunions, I'm sure it is tons of fun.
I was probably as clueless as you were, but also probably influenced by circumstances in my life. Anyhow I really enjoyed talking to you, I gotta get ready for an early dinner. It makes me feel good to know I'm not the only OLD one lol.
ttyl

I feel so young compared to some of you

i wish i weren't a high school grad '07... well that's a lie, but there's going to be loooots of struggling in class. the most bio i've taken is first year bio. HUZZAH
and human anatomy? i know like, patella is the kneebone.. and not much else, STOKED

i wish i weren't a high school grad '07... well that's a lie, but there's going to be loooots of struggling in class. the most bio i've taken is first year bio. HUZZAH
and human anatomy? i know like, patella is the kneebone.. and not much else, STOKED

I didn't even know that hahah

Hey guys, you should all be getting the pharmacy visit assignment in your email soon. I'm definitely looking forward to the hospital visit. :)

I received mine too, Do you have a particular Pharmacy in mind to go to?
What are your whereabouts? I still have no idea which one I should choose.

I received mine too, Do you have a particular Pharmacy in mind to go to?
What are your whereabouts? I still have no idea which one I should choose.

Even though they advise us to chose another pharmacy, I think I might just do it at work (I work at London Drugs in Van), since I'll feel more comfortable working with someone I already know, plus I can do it on company time. I'm looking forward to the hospital visit though (UBC assigns us to a hospital, and we probably go in small groups).

You can basically walk into any community pharmacy and ask, though I probably wouldn't choose a crazy busy store. Good luck!

I guess I'll walk into the London drugs across street from my place.
The hospital experience would be an interesting one to me too as It will definitely be a new one for me. I also look forward to visit some of the large labs and factories as I think they will really interest me.

BTW is it easy for a first year pharmacy student to get a part time job for the weekends at London drugs?

BTW is it easy for a first year pharmacy student to get a part time job for the weekends at London drugs?

Probably not. I got my job during my "year off", so my availability was good. My manager knew that I was planning on applying to pharmacy when she hired me. Now that I've been working there for a while my boss doesn't want to lose me (since they've invested the time to train me) and wants me to stay on. So I'll be doing one shift a week on the weekends. My store is hiring right now (to replace me and several other employees who quit recently or are going back to school) and we've had lots of students submit resumes, but their availability sucks (no day shifts). My boss is having a hard time finding someone with availability that meets her needs. I definitely got lucky with my job and it will be nice to put some of the stuff I learn at school to use at work.

Probably not. I got my job during my "year off", so my availability was good. My manager knew that I was planning on applying to pharmacy when she hired me. Now that I've been working there for a while my boss doesn't want to lose me (since they've invested the time to train me) and wants me to stay on. So I'll be doing one shift a week on the weekends. My store is hiring right now (to replace me and several other employees who quit recently or are going back to school) and we've had lots of students submit resumes, but their availability sucks (no day shifts). My boss is having a hard time finding someone with availability that meets her needs. I definitely got lucky with my job and it will be nice to put some of the stuff I learn at school to use at work.

Yeah! that's exactly the problem, the availability which I won't have. I used to manage retail before, I know what you mean exactly and what your manager needs. I guess I still give it a shot and send my resumes to as many stores as possible, see what happens. Thanks for the info, as usual;)

This seems like a pretty easy assignment. 4 hours is nothing. Good for those of us who have no job shadowing experience though.

I am in guys!!!!! Can't wait to meet all of you :) ! I found out today while I was at work, and I started crying.. and all the pharmacy customers were so concerned! Such a great day.

I am in guys!!!!! Can't wait to meet all of you :) ! I found out today while I was at work, and I started crying.. and all the pharmacy customers were so concerned! Such a great day.

Wow!! Congratulations and see you in the fall!!!:):):)

Congrats on getting in!! That must have been such an anxiety filled two weeks that you had to wait!!

Anyone taking any "pharmacy approved" electives this year?
I am going to take Micro 306 - Virology, to get one over with this year.
I am also taking Psychology 101 just for interest sake as I already have the 2 non Pharm electives. I couldn't get into any other Pharm approved elective that I was interested in though.

Grats to kimdan.

Yup, I'm taking Virology too. Depending on how tough it is I might drop it and just slack off the first year hahah. I also have my non pharmacy electives done. I was trying to get into FNH 355 but was restricted and now its full....

Bump

Have fun in 306 guys

If you want my honest opinion....not that great. Viruses are cool and all, but the class involves a lot of memorization and you don't really learn much about the disease side of things. Mostly classification, and learning the replication strategies, how many genes, how many proteins etc. The TA's I had were a disgrace and if the prof reuses his lines, on the first day you'll be told you have herpes!

Don't let that ruin the class for you though, just doesn't live up to the potential and you don't get to learn the interesting stuff till advanced virology/topics in virology (which I didn't take).

If you have a chance to take immunology as an elective, that is a great course.

Thanks for all the congrats! I am still waiting for my eligibility to appear though... how long after you were accepted did it come up for you guys?

Thanks for all the congrats! I am still waiting for my eligibility to appear though... how long after you were accepted did it come up for you guys?

It took several days for mine to show up. Could be up as late as tomorrow or Monday.

It showed up! I'm all good :)

Congrats!! See you in about 1.5 months

I wonder how many people in the class will have a previous degree. I don't think the Pharmacy faculty keep those kinds of statistics though.

Anyone registered in STT B?

I wonder how many people in the class will have a previous degree. I don't think the Pharmacy faculty keep those kinds of statistics though.

Anyone registered in STT B?

I'm in STT B! See you there!

I'm in A, but it looks the same as B?

The reason I chose B is because there is a break before the lab in term 1 (in my case a 2 hr lunch break), all the other STTs except E had back to back phar classes with the 3 hour lab. Personally, I'm not a fan of going 4 1/2 hours without eating! I figure we'll be able to snack during the PBL sessions though. There isn't much difference between the STTs though.

can you tell I'm exceptionally bored!

The reason I chose B is because there is a break before the lab in term 1 (in my case a 2 hr lunch break), all the other STTs except E had back to back phar classes with the 3 hour lab. Personally, I'm not a fan of going 4 1/2 hours without eating! I figure we'll be able to snack during the PBL sessions though. There isn't much difference between the STTs though.

can you tell I'm exceptionally bored!

haha you're right, it's pretty much the opposite of B now that I've checked.

Does anyone know when we will get an email about the white coat ceremony?

Thanks in advance.