U of T Pharmacy 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys!!

I actually just found out about this forum a couple of days ago! Congrats to all who got in..I was also placed on the waitlist, bottom half though :(. Does anyone know if in the past people have gotten in from the bottom half of the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been out all day... just came back home

I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

god all that anxiety, I'm so relieved, I can finally enjoy my two months of summer!!!!!! :love:

I put my stats up before, but it seems to have fallen off lol

chemreactionxxx 80.8 82 moderate
eyecandy5 82 92
pharmaniac
byork 82.6 96
nonzerosum 78
darkblue good
asuw
pharmazing
ksksks 74.3 90 excellent
chingoosarang 81 88
onionman 76.2 89
jh90 81 87
kalium ok
horroboy
hanj7 81 96 good
pharmacist1 91 83
parishilton2
hotpink12 76 80 bad
ilovechcolate 81.6 92 moderate
staffpro
ss2006
hurahman
rano 76 76
luso
celltech cycle 82.5 79 very good[

saltynose
natasha
tissane22
Famacie

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, obv your stats are very solid... it should be the interview then.
And by "better than pharmacy" : I meant that you never know what's gonna happen later in life... maybe you end up doing something that you like more than pharmacy!

BTW, are you applying again next year?

That is a very good quesion..

I sort of can't think of a goal to work with, through. Last year I had PCAT to blame, and I came back with a 95. But, this year..sigh. I still want to be a pharmacist, but the aaplication itself becomes pretty discouraging if I have no clue on what I could do to improve.

The obvious answer would be interview skill..but that is pretty obstruct and hard to prepare, too.

I sort of can't think of a goal to work with, through. Last year I had PCAT to blame, and I came back with a 95. But, this year..sigh. I still want to be a pharmacist, but the aaplication itself becomes pretty discouraging if I have no clue on what I could do to improve.

The obvious answer would be interview skill..but that is pretty obstruct and hard to prepare, too.

do you have friends who have interviewed & gotten in to professional schools? I've seen many people do mock interviews with friends, to get tips and such... and yeah... your stats seems solid, so interview help would be the next step. Talk to people, see what they say.

chemreactionxxx 80.8 82 moderate
eyecandy5 82 92
pharmaniac
byork 82.6 96
nonzerosum 78
darkblue good
asuw
pharmazing
ksksks 74.3 90 excellent
chingoosarang 81 88
onionman 76.2 89
jh90 81 87
kalium ok
horroboy
hanj7 81 96 good
pharmacist1 91 83
parishilton2
hotpink12 76 80 bad
ilovechcolate 81.6 92 moderate
staffpro
ss2006
hurahman
rano 76 76
luso
celltech cycle 82.5 79 very good[
saltynose
natasha
tissane22
Famacie
CheeseCake 90?(4.0) 92 moderate

Also waitlisted. Not a "no" but not a "yes" either. :(

Ps-I want in too! I hope lots of people go to UW or elsewhere...haha. Congrats everyone! Those who got in really deserve it!

In the admission letter, what does this mean?

"Applicants for admission in September 2010 and students enrolled in Year 1 in 2010-11 may not apply for a reduced course load as the program in which they will be enrolled will be discontinued in 2011 and replaced with a significantly different curriculum. Thus students will have no route to complete outstanding course requirements for the program in which they are enrolled. Students who must reduce their course load due to extenuating circumstances must re-apply for admission to the new professional degree program that begins in September 2011."

No clue. Maybe if you were having personal issues, you could request to take a few courses later so you don't have as much work. But now you can't?

You can still definitely get course exemptions. I know I'm getting a ton :laugh:

Yeah, it's not referring to course exemptions, but rather deciding to take a required course later. Anyway, I'm asking about this "new professional degree program that begins in September 2011" - could this be talking about the PharmD program?

I don't think so. It's just a new curriculum.

The PharmD thing isn't going to be secretive. It's up to the province to decide when U of T is legally allowed to change. It was already approved internally years ago. I think we'll know when they are going to switch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all of you guys.. wait is finally over... yay... i cant believe it.. i got inn...

I was lurking the boards and felt compelled to reply to this (as you can see, I've just made an account).

I think you really need to take a step back and consider why you are applying for pharmacy. If it's really what you want to do, that's great! Get back in it. You probably don't need to rewrite the PCAT, so focus more on your interview. Universities hold mock MMIs, which might be of use. You could also book an appointment with a career counsellor to practice your interviewing skills. You can even practice interviewing with friends or family. Most importantly, don't quit.

And if pharmacy isn't for you, that's totally okay! Even if you have no idea where you want to go from here. Keep an open mind and try everything.

When U o T is giving the acceptance for pharmacy, does anyone know the breakdown in terms of importance(weight) of cgpa, pcat and interview? There are people with 90cgpa and 80+ pcat getting rejected.

im guessing:

cgpa=50%
interview=40%
pcat=10%

can anyone else speculate?

I received my admission notice yesterday and I feel posting my stat will give ppl with low pcat or gpa some hope. gpa 81% and pcat 69%. I'm assuming I did well in the interview. I practised some sample questions with my dad the night before. Basically, I try to look at an issue from different angles and list out the pros and cons in each arguement. For example, how will a health professional look at the issue, how will the government (society) view the issue, how will the patient react to the issue and what are the good and bad points from each view. Letting them know your thought process is more important than the answer itself. It's probably a good idea to list some standard questions to ask yourself when given a scenario. I tried to be really relaxed on the day of the interview (didn't dress very formally. No black suits...wearing it would have made me nervous) and I think that helped too. Good luck!

For those of you who got in, Congrats! See you all in Sept =)

When U o T is giving the acceptance for pharmacy, does anyone know the breakdown in terms of importance(weight) of cgpa, pcat and interview? There are people with 90cgpa and 80+ pcat getting rejected.

im guessing:

cgpa=50%
interview=40%
pcat=10%

Looking at the pcat/gpa of the people who got in, i think that once you got an interview with the mininum requirements, they basically based everything afterwards on the interview.

im guessing:

cgpa=50%
interview=40%
pcat=10%

To help, i got in with 78% cgpa and 85% pcat so i'm prolly lower ended when it comes to marks. So perhaps interview played a significant roll.

i Do thin that the PCAT is worht more than 10%. If you think abou tit, the minimum requirements to get an interview was 50 comp and 20/20/20/20. I totally doubt anyone with just those stats got in unless someone can clarify for me.

My speculation is 40/30/30 but which was 40 i dont know.

Here are my stats for those that are interested:
GPA: 3.7, ~82% (A- and B+ respectively in Chem I and Chem II)
PCAT: 89 composite, 95 chem
Interview: Felt I did so-so, bombed the first station lol

Looking at the pcat/gpa of the people who got in, i think that once you got an interview with the mininum requirements, they basically based everything afterwards on the interview.

Not 100% but Most definitely in Significant amount...im guessing

60-70% interview
20-25% cgpa
5-10% pcat

pcat is only used as a cutoff...look at other proffesional schools in toronto
medicine, dentistry...for both, GPA is HUGE along with interview...mcat is ONLY used for cutoffs DAT is not that big...so INTERVIEW in pharmacy has to be HUGE....

I agree to PCAT being worth more than 10% too. I personally felt that I bombed the interview, but my PCAT score was good and GPA was average. It seems like everyone who did poorly in one category did well in another, so I think they were all weighted equally...

My stats if you're curious:
PCAT: 91 composite
GPA: technically 3.4... but I don't know how they calculate it
Interview: Mix of really good stations and really bad ones... I just felt so awkward.

60-70% interview
20-25% cgpa
5-10% pcat

medicine, dentistry...for both, GPA is HUGE along with interview...mcat is ONLY used for cutoffs DAT is not that big...so INTERVIEW in pharmacy has to be HUGE....

I donty really thing PCAT is jsut used as a cut off. 50/50/20/20/20/20?seriosuly? Now if the PCAT cutt off for the interview was 75%, then maybe yeah it wont only be just used as a cut off. Look at majority of applicnats who got in, 85+ PCAT, that should tell you alot considering theres some apps that are gettin in with below 82+ cum average including myself. Down down play the PCAT, it's important to get high on it as well as your other stuff (interview and cgpa) for rthose of you thinkin to apply next year.

I don't think the PCAT is just a cut-off. It is a scientifically proven predictor of future performance in pharmacy school. (My uncle is the president of one in the states, so he told me all about it.) In my opinion, they'd be wasting time/effort just for a small percentage of the admission index.

It is definitely more than 5-10%. That's why you shouldn't waste your time guessing. Get at least 80% on both and have a successful interview and you will get in.

I feel bad for the people next year who are going to read through 1700 posts. :p

^ 1832 to be exact as of now at least.

Man I have to wait a month to see if I get lucky with their dip into the (upper) waitlist * sigh

I donty really thing PCAT is jsut used as a cut off. 50/50/20/20/20/20?seriosuly? Now if the PCAT cutt off for the interview was 75%, then maybe yeah it wont only be just used as a cut off. Look at majority of applicnats who got in, 85+ PCAT, that should tell you alot considering theres some apps that are gettin in with below 82+ cum average including myself. Down down play the PCAT, it's important to get high on it as well as your other stuff (interview and cgpa) for rthose of you thinkin to apply next year.

well the thing is there are people that are being rejected with 90 cgpa and 80+ pcat...

well the thing is there are people that are being rejected with 90 cgpa and 80+ pcat...

You can get a 90% cGPA and an >80% PCAT but not meet the subsection cut-offs. But having both of those AND getting rejected after an interview means you really messed up.

i got in too!!! i can't believe it.

well, this is kinda interesting, my interview for ubc is tomorrow :p

onionman, i am on the same boat as you! congrats
how did u find the interview?
and is UBC your first choice? UBC is my first choice :)

I got wait listed (upper half), I'm pretty much losing hope though

btw, congrats to everyone who got in! :)

I got wait listed (upper half), I'm pretty much losing hope though

btw, congrats to everyone who got in! :)

memorizing, i am most likely gonna rescind the offer from UT once I get the results from other schools.

they actually tell you whether you are in "upper half" of waiting list?
and how many people are in the upper half?

Well there's like 100 waitlisted in total and they tell u whether ur upper or lower half. So it must mean upper wait list is 1-50, right? So a max of 50 people! (4 of which are on this board- including myself)

onionman, i am on the same boat as you! congrats
how did u find the interview?
and is UBC your first choice? UBC is my first choice :)

i just came back from my interview and i thought i did well on 8/10 stations. and I did 'ok/average' on the other two stations. Doing the interview at u of t definitely prepared me for today's interview :)

I can't decide between the two, but for financial reasons, i'll probably pick UBC (if they accept me). But i'm more than happy to pursue my pharmacy studies at u of t.

i hope we both get into UBC! (and put 2 more waitlisters out of their misery)

edit: this sounds stupid, but i felt so happy to change my status from pre-pharm --> pharmacy student :p

My guess is that interview was worth very little for this academic cycle.
Yes, there were people who got rejected with solid GPA and PCAT scores, but not many. I'm guessing there were also people with excellent interviews who got rejected because of their GPA/PCAT.
This is the first year they implemented MMI and from what I got the feeling that this year's interview was more of a diagnostic one for future years. They stated they will use our interview scores with other admission index and performance in pharmacy school to study how reliable the interview is in judging applicants. for this study to be successful, there needs to be students who did poorly on their interviews to compare with ones who did well. Also, I'm guessing the faculty didn't know what to expect since this was the first year so my guess is that they put little weighting on the interview this year.
My guess is that like GPA and PCAT, there was a cutoff for the interview, and the weightings after the cutoff were 50% GPA, 30% PCAT, 20% interview.

My guess is that interview was worth very little for this academic cycle.
Yes, there were people who got rejected with solid GPA and PCAT scores, but not many. I'm guessing there were also people with excellent interviews who got rejected because of their GPA/PCAT.
This is the first year they implemented MMI and from what I got the feeling that this year's interview was more of a diagnostic one for future years. They stated they will use our interview scores with other admission index and performance in pharmacy school to study how reliable the interview is in judging applicants. for this study to be successful, there needs to be students who did poorly on their interviews to compare with ones who did well. Also, I'm guessing the faculty didn't know what to expect since this was the first year so my guess is that they put little weighting on the interview this year.
My guess is that like GPA and PCAT, there was a cutoff for the interview, and the weightings after the cutoff were 50% GPA, 30% PCAT, 20% interview.

i agree, but with the Dentistry program and medical school at toronto the interview along with gpa is HUGE...mcat is used for cutoffs and the dat is not that big...but what you said makes sense...

i just came back from my interview and i thought i did well on 8/10 stations. and I did 'ok/average' on the other two stations. Doing the interview at u of t definitely prepared me for today's interview :)

I can't decide between the two, but for financial reasons, i'll probably pick UBC (if they accept me). But i'm more than happy to pursue my pharmacy studies at u of t.

i hope we both get into UBC! (and put 2 more waitlisters out of their misery)

edit: this sounds stupid, but i felt so happy to change my status from pre-pharm --> pharmacy student :p

Haha I also did well on 8/10 stations and average on the other ones just like you did.
U of T used to be my first choice, but for love reasons, UBC is now my destination. I REALLY REALLY need to get into UBC. LOL

Hey once we get into UBC, lets meet up and chill!
And no, that does not sound stupid. Its the GREATEST feeling!

Do you guys think people from the wait list will get accepted, or is there no chance?

Yes, for the upper waitlist. I'm not sure about the lower waitlist.

You can join the facebook group if you want the names of people to pick off. Some of them are upper years, so make sure before you make the call.

60-70% interview
20-25% cgpa
5-10% pcat

pcat is definitely not just a cut off, if it was then a lot of people with 50th percentile composite should have got in, but none did!! plus i do not like the idea that if one subsection is below the cut off then that test is not used at all, so many students with scores over 75th and even 80th were rejected just because of one subsection, and yet others with low 70s got in,

Yeah but the cutoffs were SO low for some things. If the cutoff was 20 and you got 14, thats a red flag.

I had mid 70's cGPA 88 PCAT and I got an acceptance!!! woot
I just did my UBC MMI as well today 2:30pm slot lol hope I get accepted there too!

Join the facebook group.

Although... premedical :eyebrow: What's with your status?

Yes put us out of our waiting misery! haha

The waitlist is such a tease. But at least I know I'm essentially qualified to be there, but those who were accepted were a little more qualified than me.

It just makes me hungrier to be there next year.

xo all!
See you in 2011 :)

congratulations to everyone who got in, i hope you all at least had a beer to celebrate.
my stats are:
80% GPA
80% PCAT
and i guess i did a pretty good interview!

Hello all! My stats are gpa: 91 and pcat: 94 and felt good about the interview! I also wanted to post about residence and grad house. Is anyone here thinking of applying to live in any of the residences or are most of you thinking of just renting somewhere in Toronto? :) congrats to all and I look forward to meeting all of you!!